“Lost money found!!! Great Staff & location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Harper Kuta

Harper Kuta
Ranked #25 of 250 Hotels in Kuta
“Lost money found!!! Great Staff & location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

I am a regular to Bali and stayed at the Harper Hotel Kuta for the first time in early May 2014.

First, the location is perfect. Close to shops, clubs, Mini Marts, shopping centers and more restaurants than you will have time to try. Beach is maybe 5-8 minutes’ walk depending on how polite you are to the sellers in the street. There is a back entrance that will take you to a small lane that leads to Poppies 1 (to the left) and poppies 2 (to the right) and you will find some real nice little restaurants back here with great food at very affordable prices.

The Hotel

I picked the Harper Suite which I felt was just a large plain room with no real luxury feel about it. It has a glass wall that directly faces the sun making it extremely hot and the air conditioning did not have quite enough power to cool the room quickly. There was a small 1 meter balcony outside the glass which was not wide enough for furniture and was just too hot to venture out onto anyway so it was wasted space. I had a look at the Junior Suites which have cooler rooms and a pool view that does not face the sun directly and I recommend these over the more expensive Harper suite.

There is a soft noise from the clubs outside, however the hotel is set at the end of a road that gives it distance. You would get a soft hum if you have a front room but no more than the noise you hear from passing traffic in any hotel in the area. The majority of the rooms are away from the front and you will have no noise issues in your room. I think the noise people are talking about in other reviews is in the corridors as it has open window slits that lead outside and you can hear music from the clubs. You will be fine in your room.

Now, I read all the reviews written previously and I must say the breakfast issue has been resolved. Something different every day, a chef who cooks eggs & omelets for you and plenty of things to pick from. Only problem I had at breakfast was the little sign on every table that said coffee was available for 150,000 IDR (coffee at hotels should always be free at breakfast). I heard a few other guests grumbling about the same thing so I asked the staff about this and learned that this was for machine coffee and the normal stuff was free, but it was not clear and I think the signs should be removed.

The staff are 5 star. I have stayed in a few places around Bali and the people at the Harper really went out of their way to make sure I had everything I needed. I had some business in the area and needed to charge my laptop so I could use it at meetings. The power cuts off automatically when you leave the room so the staff gave me an extra card to keep the power on. They all remembered my name, were polite, helpful and all spoke perfect English. I even had the hotel IT guru fix my laptop with a downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7.

The only staff that were a bit more formal were security which is a good thing. I had some money stolen at an ATM in a nearby Mini Mart. The hotel security made sure I was alright, took me to the police where I lodged a report and assured me they would keep me updated on any progress in this matter. To be honest I thought that this would be the last I would hear of this and the money was gone. A week after I got home they informed me that they had worked with local authorities and caught the culprit who confessed to the crime and they sent me the money back that was stolen. Not only was I grateful for this, but I felt they went beyond my expectations to ensure I remembered my stay with them as pleasurable.

I would highly recommend the Harper to anyone going to Bali. Suitable for families but also located perfectly for the younger crowd who enjoy the night life. A big thank you to all the staff, especially security for their excellent service which exceeded my expectations and are a real asset to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room away from the clubs, and if looking for a bit of luxury I would suggest the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Budrox007 .
HarperKuta, General Manager at Harper Kuta, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Budrox007,

Thank you for your time in providing us with this nice review. Indeed our hotel located at prime area of Kuta which walking distance to most attractions. Glad to posted our staff with 5 star and we will pass this message to our staff and they will happy to read.

Our team will fully assist as part of hotel services and not only was you grateful for this, but we felt we went beyond our expectations to ensure you remembered your stay with us as pleasurable.

Once again, thank you for recommending us for anyone who traveling to Bali also suited for families. We looking forward to serve our best services anymore in near future.

Budhiwijaya (Jay)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Traveled to Bali with my husband and two kids for a friends wedding. We were originally booked to stay at the Kuta Town Houses but ending up cancelling and staying at the Harper (Big Mistake).

The Hotel is clean, modern and offers friendly service although the English is not too strong which did become a bit of a barrier. We were located on the 2nd floor as we requested a room which would be quieter than the others, the room was quiet but did not offer a balcony. A balcony is important when travelling with younger children as it gives parents somewhere to escape when the kids are sleeping. Luckily a friend of ours was able to speak to the manager and the manager had us upgraded to the family suite free of charge, this was a nice change as we had extra space as well as a balcony. The only issue was that the noise from the clubs was very loud and this had a major impact on our quality of sleep.

On a few nights there were guests which became loud and abusive (DRUNK), this noise could be heard crystal clear in our room. Security did not seem to have any control of the situation instead I would only hear regular hotel staff trying to calm down arrogant and intoxicated guests. The breakfast was average, more Asian influenced meals but there was a small range of western breakfast choices. The hotels pool is constantly shaded due to the hotel surrounding it, this made using the pool unpleasant and did not provide a relaxed paradise like feel which we were looking for. I would recommend the hotel to singles looking for a place to just leave their bags, shower and sleep...sleep will have to be induced by alcohol as not a wink will be had if you are a light sleeper.

Pros
Friendly Staff
Cheap
Clean

Cons
Loud noise from clubs
Obnoxious guests
Pool shaded
Some room do not provide balcony

Room Tip: If you choose a room close to the pool you will be met with loud noise from guests staying up late a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BarbieL1986
Dear BarbieL1986,

We regret to hear that your stay experience did not meet your expectation, we did look into some of your comments and would like to clarify some of the following points.

We have been implemented English club for all of our staff and this is part of improvement to have better communication to our guests. Indeed our balcony is limited and luckily we upgrade you to our newly family suite completed with balcony with no extra charge. We do understand our guest request and we put high attention and trying to make our guest happy.

Our security team was alert and have been check our cctv which is they took action immediately with our staff to ensure that they should not became annoying to other guests.

Breakfast is provided for fusion asian and western style due to we have various guest from all of the world.

We will ensure that kind of points mentioned above will take action and we need those kind of constructive review for our better improvement. We delighted to welcoming you back at Harper Kuta in the near future. Thank you.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Pros:

-Location...if you want to party. Right in the heart of all that Kuta has to offer. Plenty of bars and clubs close. Beach is very close, within walking distance
-clean rooms, comfy beds, great AC
-AWESOME buffet breakfast every morning! Best I've had in Asia

Cons:

-location...if you want peace and quiet. Many bars that go all night, and tons of annoying shopkeepers right outside the hotel trying to sell you knockoff junk
-horrible sewage smell on 5th floor. In both hallways and in my room's bathroom
-food and drink inside the hotel are EXPENSIVE!

Overall, a nice place to stay if you want something that's clean and relaxed, but not break the bank

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
HarperKuta, General Manager at Harper Kuta, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Derek N,

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I am very sorry to read your personal experience at our hotel.

On other hand, I would like to thank you for the positive feedback regarding our services, room, best breakfast in our hotel.

As we are constantly striving to improve ourselves, I appreciate your honest comments very much. We will definitely have an internal discussion with the teams on each and every concerns you highlighted as we take guest feedback very seriously and your feedback will certainly be used for further improvement.

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to have the opportunity to welcome you back and I do hope that this experience will not permanently mar your opinion of our hotel.

Pune, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Hotel Located @ right place ...on rocking legian street :
Pros 1 Excellent Staff including travel desk.
2 Secured
3 Location
4 WiFi strong
5 Nice Bed and Breakfast

Cons1 Nearest night clubs wont let you sleep at night
2 Room Dining food quality poor with an l'ttl expensive.

Room Tip: rooms on 2nd n 3rd floor towards swimming pool facing are nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HarperKuta, General Manager at Harper Kuta, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear 001Vinit,

Thank you so much for your precious comments and detailed review! My great appreciation upon your complimentary words. I hope to welcome you back in the near future and offer a more Harper Kuta experiences.

Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

What a great hotel could not say a single bad thing about the hotel
The rooms are fantastic and spacious and a great value for money, I had a room facing sky garden and still managed to find it easy to sleep when I didn't go out partying . The most friendliest staff I have ever meet
I will defiantly be staying at the harper hotel again

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Mathewdavoren,

Its a pleasure to see your feedback through TripAdvisor.com. After reviewing your kind feedback we understand that you have experienced our hotel with a good impression especially to our room and friendliness of staff.

Once again, thank you very much for your continued support and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Quezon City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Our stay was near perfect. The facilities are very good-- comfortable room, including soft pillows, strong Wifi connection, beautiful bathroom, very friendly and efficient staff. We also enjoyed the wide variety of choices for breakfast. My companion experienced being cheated by a local money changer near the hotel. The head of security went with her to the money changer and got the 2 million rupiah back without any fuss. The staff are very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Malou B
HarperKuta, General Manager at Harper Kuta, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Malou B,

Glad to hear your marvelous comments and we are so happy that your trip is near perfect especially during your stay at Harper Kuta with all facilities. We are delighted to welcoming you soon in the near future.

Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

We went to bali in april for the first time had a wonderful stay at the harper kuta. On arrival we were give a voucher each for a afternoon tea and a full body massage free of charge. The staff were very helpful. Rooms were clean and fresh. We had an extra bed it was a proper bed not a roll away.we had some lovely meals in the restaurant. We had buffet breakfast each morning with a great selection of food witj something a little different each day. Would stay there again with no hesitation. Close to shopping and very quiet

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear pam I,

Thank you for having time shared this feedback through tripadvisor. After reviewing your kind feedback we understand that you have experienced our hotel with a good impression.

We are so happy to know that you had a wonderful stay and that you have enjoyed our proper extrabed and restaurant experience.