“Best place to stay in Kuta, esp for Surfing”

Pro Surf School Bali
Ranked #5 of 206 Speciality Lodging in Kuta
London
“Best place to stay in Kuta, esp for Surfing”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed at the Pro Surf School for a week earlier this year and can't recommend it highly enough. It is the perfect place to stay if you are travelling alone, or if you're a couple looking to learn to surf, while also relaxing and having access to the nearby bars and restaurants in Kuta (not too far, not too close!).

I stayed in one of the double rooms and they are really big, good quality rooms, good service, breakfast is amazing, and my favourite thing about it was the coffee at the bar downstairs - best coffee I've ever had. There are dorm rooms as well, so there is a quite a young vibe about the place, and lots of people coming and going, which I think gives it a good atmosphere. I wasn't there for the pool party unfortunately...!

I took surf lessons, starting with the beginner class (it was my first time) and ended up doing about another 4 lessons. I didn't get lessons anywhere else during my stay (or anywhere else since) so I can't compare, but in my opinion they did a good job - I got standing on my first lesson and they pushed me in subsequent lessons to improve as much as possible.

I'd recommend staying, but if you aren't staying, it's a great place for surf lessons. If you aren't getting surf lessons, get the coffee!

Room Tip: I don't think there's a difference between any of the double rooms upstairs, so any of them...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank GS13579

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
goldie
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed in Bali for 14 days within June 2014. we stayed at a nearby hotel which had rather expensive breakfast menu. On our travels we observed the Beach Lounge (which is a part of this hotel). We checked the menu and to our surprise they did a rather cheap breakfast. There are colourful couches and umbrellas out the front which are great to sit on in the morning and in the afternoon. The next day we decided to give it a try. The staff were very quick to provide menus and take our order. We had a nice breakfast for the 2 of us and ordered juices and coffees and the total came to approx 150k which was fantastic. We further had breakfast there another 6 times i would say directly due to the price, locality and great service from the team. We further attended in the afternoon on a couple occasions while walking back to our hotel for a cheap drink (Bintang was around 20k, from 5pm-7pm down to 17k and large selection of cocktails were 50k each) and to enjoy the view (somewhat hampered by the trees and beach wall in front but was still able to watch the surf and the hustle and bustle going past on the main beach front street.)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 7 May 2014

In the hellhole that is Kuta, Pro Surf is the haven of rest for any traveler or surfer with standards. The perfectly positioned and beautifully designed Pro Surf School is hotel, hostel, restaurant, bar, swimming pool and surf school in one. Step in for a blueberry brainfreeze, stay for a few nights to explore Kuta and Seminyak or get into surfing with real experts - all is quite perfect at Pro Surf. I stayed for a week and was sorry to go. Met some great people, spent hours in the gigantic pool or hanging out on the sun roof, learned how to ride a wave in my first ever attempt and was never ever disappointed. Frank and his crew are good, honest people. The rooms are clean - get one of the four bed sea-side rooms if you can - the food is cheap for the neighbourhood, tuto bene.

Room Tip: Dorm rooms are perfectly fine, 3rd floor sea-side rooms are affordable luxury.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jannik S
Cebu, Philippines
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I enrolled my wife for surfing. Since it will be her first time, I made sure that everything is being covered. I went to class with her, coached and cheered for her. I'm glad that she was able to ride a white wash surf on her first trial. I commend you guys for doing a good job!

And yes, while waiting, you can also try their restaurant, the food is good.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Great place for backpackers to meetup and explore bali. Right next door to the Kuta beach. Surf school is professional with trainers having very good english skills.

Dorm rooms have 6 beds and private lockers included. very handy when you want to explore without carrying any excessive luggage.

Staff are well connected and will give useful and relevant local information in regards with guides, activities and party locations.

CHEAP DRINKS - 70,000 for long islands. All drinks are safe and legitimate, no unknown liquors mixed and drinks are made fresh.

Issue: Next to stone hotel which plays loud music throughout the night.

Room Tip: choose the private rooms if you want your own bathrooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DatN1988
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 4 January 2014

After having been to Kuta now for a couple times I always like come back to this place!
With a convenient location right at the beach I enjoy to stay at an place with a good atmosphere! Good lessons, clean rooms, friendly staff and really good food - that's why i like to come back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Great people and staff. I feel me directly at home, as everyone what I see here. They are really friendly and helpful. Also the surflessons are great, they offer the best surflessons of Kuta. The hostel is located directy on the beach, perfect location! And it is in the center of Kuta. Great for party but it's not noisy. I sleep very well. The rooms are clean and they clean up the room every day.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Felonie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
Legian Beach Hotel
Legian Beach Hotel
#15 of 86 in Legian
Pullman Bali Legian Nirwana
Citadines Kuta Beach Bali
Kuta Seaview Boutique Resort & Spa
Grand Istana Rama Hotel Bali
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Pro Surf School Bali? Share your experiences!