“Can't fault it” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 250 Hotels in Kuta
Bunbury, Australia
“Can't fault it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

This was a fantastic property. Budget but lovely. Very "Bali" which we love. There was lots of frangipani trees, green palms and it was great. The staff were all friendly, the pool area was smaller than some properties we have stayed at but still fine. A couple of down sides if I had to have some would be the pool floor was very slippery and I travelled with my two young children and they kept asking for a playground. We definitely didn't make use of the many free things we were given but will definitely be back to stay there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jaz1978
girh, Director of Sales at Grand Istana Rama Hotel Bali, responded to this review, 31 March 2015
Dear Ms. Jaz1978,

Thank you for your trust to stay with us during your holiday in Bali. We are gladly happy to acknowledge that we exceed your expectation during your stay with us, as it is our commitment to consistently maintain excellent service for our valued guests. Moreover, we are happy to know that you love our fantastic property as well as our friendly staff. We are proudly contented to acknowledge that you admire our Balinese style hotel, which is surrounded by massively lush garden that gives the serenity and relaxing feeling.

Thank you for your concern regarding the pool. We already shared this information to our Housekeeping Department to avoid unexpected problem in the future.

We are looking forward to see you again at Grand Istana Rama Hotel Kuta Bali.

Email : sm@grandistanarama.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Its clean, air-conditioned, prompt room service for everything, nice pool, with a bar, very lush foliage, nice food, the staff are wonderful. The drains in the bathroom can smell sometimes, close the door, also let the shower run for a couple of minutes if it smells, All good then. We really like this hotel and it is central to everything

Room Tip: 'I like the 2nd floor it has a balcony'
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank gretelburger
Dear Gretelburger,

Thank you for your continuous trust to say with us during your holiday in Bali. We are delighted to know that you are satisfied with our spaciously clean room, our prompt service as well as our wonderful staff.

As the only one four star hotel where is located exactly in front of Kuta Beach and next to the biggest shopping center in Bali – Beachwalk, Grand Istana Rama Hotel Kuta Bali has beautifully lush garden, which gives the serenity and relaxing feeling in your spacious room.
It’s an honor that you have a great time at our swimming pool which is equipped by swim up bar, where you can take pleasure of the most wanted beer in Bali – Bintang Beer. We are also happy that you love our delicious food at our Samudera Restaurant.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the bathroom. We already shared this information to our Housekeeping Department. We ensure you that the problem was completely solved.

We look forward to welcome you back at Grand Istana Rama Hotel Kuta Bali.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I don't know where to start?? Now I know I have previously rated this hotel as a great hotel but can I take it back? The only thing that is great is the location and the food.

The hotel is now of very poor quality & standards & for the price you pay you can find much better, at a cheaper price.

I'd booked a room through expedia & contacted the hotel & asked for an upgrade which was granted at a $30 US fee, super.... Well so I though.

My Expedia booking requested a non smoking room & 1 large bed & a cot for my 14 month child.

On arrival I'm told by the receptionist Maya that our room is no longer available. What??? Did I hear this right??? I was told other guests had chosen to stay longer so my room was no longer available and I had to have a different room and my husband & I had to sleep in single beds. NOT GOOD ENOUGH since I was a returning customer, this was my 6th stay & I had always recommended others to stay at the hotel.

I demanded to see the manager. I waited & waited & waited to see the manager. I ended up asking Maya the receptionist 3 times to see the manager. I'm confident she had forgotten & didn't care. It wasn’t until the third time I approached the reception desk and refused to choose a different room Maya went and got the manager who’s name is Chris.

After much discussion with the manager Chris (45 minutes) back & forth & discussing a non smoking room with no positive outcome I requested to view all available rooms.

On initial inspection the room was fine & satisfying for my 1 year old son was now sweating & screaming in the foyer.

This was a lower grade room with a double bed and as requested a baby cot could be provided BUT I still had to pay extra. Is this the treatment a returning customer gets?

I accepted this room purely because by now my 1 year old had had enough.
Through email confirmation the upgrade was quoted in US $$$ so I hand over US $$$$ to pay the upgrade. Well this was not good enough according to Chris. The US $$$$ I handed over was in $20 denominations & was apparently old as the manager Chris told me, I personally felt like they thought it was counterfeit, they were inspecting it with a magnifying glass etc. This was not the case, it was withdrawn from an ATM in America.

I offer to pay the same amour in AUS $$$ after the manager Chris rudely asks while looking in my wallet if I had $100 US notes. Agghhhh NO. How rude to look in my wallet & how rude to ask for $100 notes.

After having the rude receptionist Maya laugh at my expense to her colleague regarding my money not being excepted I questioned her about it & she rudely denied laughing stating she was talking to the other female receptionist. I've been to Bali 10 times & can understand a little Indonesian & found this extremely unprofessional & rude.

I was provided with drink vouchers which later proved to be useless as you can only use them between particular times & particular days. My parents who also checked and weren’t provided the rooms as per the booking received drink vouchers & two massage vouchers. Where was my massage voucher??

I returned to the room after paying the upgrade fee & our bags were bought in shortly after. The room Smelt lovely until.... You leave your room & return after a quick walk. The beautiful fresh aroma they sprayed before I inspected the room had worn off has & the room smelt like sweaty football players & smoke. YUCK!!!

Now I told the manager Chris I wanted a nonsmoking room & my booking was none smoking room. But yet I get a smoking room.

Lucky I had eucalyptus spray & later at my own expense I bought air fresher & after a few days the smell had gone.

Showering was disgusting, my husband was first to shower & noticed black dirt of some kind come from out of the shower tiles EUWWW we tried to shower in the bath but the shower didn't work. lucky I have dish washing liquid to clean my sons bottles because hubby gave the shower floor a clean. Unfortunately my son couldn't have a bath though.

Showering with thongs it was.... & the putrid smell that was left in the bathroom after each shower was disgusting. I felt dirty after my shower. This smell occurred every night after showering & there was nothing we could do to get rid of it.

There were no sheets on the bed & after calling for a sheet & waiting 20 minutes a sheet was delivered to my room. I made the bed myself and this made our sleep a little more bearable.

There was a large amount if Mosquitos that night & the staff were kind to bring in some spray.

The music from the Hotels Band & the night club next door was heard throughout the night. The hotel band stopped roughly around 11pm but I could still hear music from the nightclub until 3am. If yu ant a quiet night sle p then this is not the place for you.

We pulled back the curtains the following morning & my husband’s hands smelt like cigaret, not to mention the room. Yuck!!!

Breakfast was nice however we had to pay each morning. You'd think considering I was a returning customer & after all the inconveniences & rude staff this would have been discounted but it wasn't.

It was my birthday during our stay & it was lovely to return from dinner one evening & find a birthday cake in my room. It was also very tasty.

I'd eaten twice from the restaurant. Once for lunch & once for dinner. Both meals were enjoyable & full of flavor.

There needs to be more pool chairs around the pool & more bar staff at the pool bar. Waiting more than 10 minutes to be served is ridiculous. What was more frustrating was I had been charged for an extra drink I didn't order or drink. This was thakfully resolved though.

There was only one baby chair available at breakfast which made breakfast difficult.

Prior to checking out I was involved in a verbal interaction with a male from a Bali baby hire company. Maya the recptionsidt refused to listen to my complaint & was quick to listen to the male & question me regarding this altercation. I found this very rude & unprofessional. The security staff were very helpful though.

The cleaning staff were quick to prompt a tip when they found out I was checking out early. The cleaner was claiming he had cleaned my room all week. I don't think he had as he failed to leave enough towels after I gave him a tip. I don't think a tip was justified as my room was dirty and I had to request extra water and towels.

DWI the receptionist when checking out was lovely & so was the driver who drove us to the airport free of charge. Chris the manager was kind to provide a free transfer for us.

Along with the food the only good thing I can say about this hotel is the location. Its close to the beach, restaurants and shopping.

I was really looking forward to staying at Istana Rama however my expectations were too high based on my previous 5 stays.

This is not a three star, or a four star hotel. I'd give it a two star. It's is not worth the money I paid to stay. I feel not all but some staff were rude & didn't care for their customers.

Sorry Grand Istana Rama but Unfortunately I won't be returning, my family wont be & won't be recommending this hotel to friends & family any more.

Room Tip: if you want o party and stay up all night and don't mind a dirty room any room will be fine.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank NIchole T

Travellers are raving about these Kuta hotels

Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Its really a vry nice resort , ll surely gt relaxd with its beauty and the view both in resort n outside it. Just in front of kuta beach...Just go for it if u r gng to bali....And dnt forget to ask resort reception for the free coupons and other various sight seeing locations at help desk!!! It rocks...

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Mr. ArchitMantry,

Grand Istana Rama Hotel Kuta Bali is gratefully thankful for sharing your precious holiday experiences with us on Tripadvisor. We are gladly happy to acknowledge that we exceed your expectation during your stay with us, as it is our commitment to consistently maintain excellent service for our valued guests. Moreover, we are gladly contented to know that you have a lovely experience with our pleasant atmosphere that gives you the relaxing feeling.

We are happy that you like our excellent location, where is located precisely in front of Kuta Beach and next to the biggest shopping center in Bali – Beachwalk. It is also easy for you to get to the other interesting places for shopping or sightseeing.

We are looking forward to see you again at Grand Istana Rama Hotel Kuta Bali.

Vik, Iceland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Me and my boyfriend staid at Istana Rama for 10 days. The Hotell is very nice and the location is just excellent. Rooms are very clean and well maintained. There is a shopping mall right beside and a street market behinde. The lobby is very big and gives you a good admusphare as you arrive, the pool is grate (with a pool bar) and the restaurant serves delicious food. We would deffenatly go back there if we come accross Bali again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
girh, Director of Sales at Grand Istana Rama Hotel Bali, responded to this review, 1 April 2015
Dear Ms. Aldasoliceland,

Grand Istana Rama Hotel Kuta Bali is gratefully thankful for sharing your precious holiday experiences with us on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to know that you love our nice atmosphere as well as our spaciously clean room. We are gladly happy to acknowledge that we exceed your expectation during your stay with us, as it is our commitment to consistently maintain excellent service for our valued guests.

Grand Istana Rama Hotel Kuta Bali is happy that you love our precious location, where is exactly in front of Kuta Beach and next to the biggest shopping center in Bali- Beachwalk. We are more than happy to know that you love our delicious buffet breakfast at Samudera Restaurant. We are glad to acknowledge that you also enjoy our huge swimming pool, which is equipped by swim up bar, as the best spot for relaxing.

We look forward to see you again in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is a little bit old but important thing is that the room and bathroom are clean.
Spacious area and staffs are very polite.
Location of the hotel is perfect if you want to go surfing and stroll along the beach.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Mr. Lootenant11,

Grand Istana Rama Hotel Kuta Bali is sincerely grateful that you love your stay with us during your holiday in Bali. We are appreciatively thankful for your admirable praise for our friendly and polite staff as well as our spaciously clean room and bathroom.

We are happy that you love our perfect location, where is located right in front of Kuta Beach, where you can surf and next to the biggest shopping center in Bali – Beachwalk. It is also easy for you to get to the other interesting places for shopping or sightseeing.

We appreciate your concern regarding the old hotel. However, as a part of our commitments to deliver the excellent service to our guest, Grand Istana Rama Hotel Kuta Bali has been progressively carrying on room refurbishment and all of the old televisions were entirely replaced with new LED “Sharp” televisions 32 inches.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in our newly upgraded rooms.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We just got home from a 8 night stay at the GRAND ISTANA RAMA. We had such a good time.
A holiday is what you make it. If you want to Party all night you can, if you want to relax all day you can.
We cant thank the staff enough for all their good service. They were amazing. Even the bands and the DJ's were fantastic people. As for the cleaners we were so impressed with the towel works of art left on our beds every day....Bravo!! lol
We would gladly stay at this hotel again. Close to everything we need.
Thankyou to the manager and all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable. Mr. Lou and Mr. Bob would also like to say thankyou to our special friend Adi,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kerry P
Dear Kerry P,

Thank you for your continuous trust to stay with us during your holiday in Bali. We are pleased to know that you have an enjoyable stay with our amazing staff as well as our good service. We are glad that you are satisfied with the nice touch by our housekeeping team.

We are happy that you love our prime location, where is precisely in front of Kuta Beach and next to the biggest shopping center in Bali – Beachwalk. It is also easy for you to get to the other interesting places for shopping or sightseeing. Grand Istana Rama Hotel Kuta Bali is contented to know that you enjoy your time at our 69 Tequila Bar that accompanied by our fantastic live band and DJ’s performance.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to Grand Istana Rama Hotel Kuta.