“Real nice hotel”

Ranked #216 of 251 Hotels in Kuta
Denpasar, Indonesia
“Real nice hotel”
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Don't understand the bad reviews for this hotel, as I had a very pleasant stay in March 14 - 16th 2012. Very friendly staff who spoke good english, both in the reception and in the restaurant. Very good breakfast for Indonesia (could choose American, English or Indonesian breakfast), real big and clean room with air condition. The toilet and bath is outside in a little private "garden" (with walls around it), was very lovely and gave a special touch to the room! It is under a rooftop so no need to worry about rain...

The pool is nice, and the hotel is quiet during night. It takes about 10 minutes to walk to Kuta Beach from the hotel.

Had absolutely nothing to complain about.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Persikan

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Toronto
Reviewed 25 January 2012

The hotel is old and dusty and the rooms were absolutely terrifying. When we first checked in they assigned us a room with an ensuite bathroom that was half outdoors; it was missing a fourth wall! We requested a change to another room with a bathroom indoors, which we discovered was covered in mold. Both rooms smelled strongly musk & mold. The smell was so strong I could still smell it in my clothing and towels after I was finally rid of the place. The only thing that looked semi-clean was the bed. The bathroom also had this weird window that can never be closed fully so the place was always swarming with mosquitoes (we got bit all night) and we would regularly find dead bugs all over the sink, bathtub and counters. The rooms used two very weak lightbulbs that didn't illuminate the room very well and made everything look even dingier. We hated the rooms so much we tried to spend as much time out of our rooms by spending the time in the breakfast area until we absolutely had to sleep.

I was neutral about the staff until I checked out. I requested the staff to call a Bluebird taxi. Instead, he tried to sell us their hotel driver. When I firmly requested the taxi, instead of calling for one, he sends another staff out to hail it from the street (which he never did) and we had to sit there while the driver hassled us to hire him.

I wish I had sprung for the extra money to get a better hotel as I am one of those people who need a good place to relax after a day out and it really affected our vacation in Bali. Next time I will not stay in Kuta and definitely not at this hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Halkidiki Region, Greece
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I have just returned from bali where my husband and I took our four children for a chirstmas holiday for 11 days. I stayed at Mastapa Gardens eleven years ago and I enjoyed it so we booked it again. I read your reviews prior to travel and although there are a few bad ones I still took the risk, and it was well worth it. I paid $45AUD per night, in australia you are lucky to get a van site with power at a caraven park for that price. We got a large room, yes a bit musty smelling but a room freshner fixed that, a clean bathroom, TV, free internet and a decent breakfast every morning for that $45. Dont stay in a room that only cost $45 if you want a five star hotel. We went with the expectations of recieving a room worth $45 and recieved much more. The gardens are beautiful, the hotel is clean the staff are frendly, the rooms were cleaned every day, clean towels were provided everyday and it was safe. It is in the heart of kuta, within walking distance of everything you would want if you want to stay in Kuta/Legian. Once you were inside the hotel it was quiet and peaceful. We booked Two rooms for the six of us but once we arrived we decided to get a third room as we could have them altogether. the kids had two rooms that had interconnecting doors and we took the room beside them. I never had a problem with worrying about thier safety as the place has security all the time. I will continue to return to this hotel as I still feel that I got more than what i paid for and we all really enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: Always ask for thier best rooms, and just be friendly
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Leeanne G
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Pretty simple place, cost us about $40AU a night in peak season and couldn't really complain too much.. everything's basic and the bathroom wasn't that great, but we didn't really expect too much considering it was all we could really get for new years eve and day..

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Jakarta
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My friend booked this hotel for our last two days in Bali. Obviously she didn't read the reviews from TripAdvisor first.

It was terrible. The building was worn out, the rooms are tired and dusty. The bathrooms are covered in mold. Almost immediately after checking in we tried to search for another hotel, but all of them nearby was fully booked. They have two buildings, and we got the oldest one. They could do so much better if only they want to renovate and upgrade some things. When we were staying, there was a new hotel under construction across the street so it was so loud each night, we couldn't sleep at all!

The breakfast was good, though. And the garden pool was beautiful tho we didn't swim, and didn't really see up-close if they were molded too. Wi-fi connection not really good.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 3 September 2011

The standard room was quite shocking! There smelled like mold and the room was dirty and worn out! I do not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
singapore
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Me and my husband stayed two nights at Mastapa. We got a room on the ground floor with an open balcony overlooking the pool. The a/c was not working that well. The room had a kind of musty smell. The bathroom was deplorable. The inside of the toilet bowl had a crack the size of a tennis ball. The bathtub was moldy. The service staff was pretty unhelpful when we requested for a room change. They kept saying it was full house. So we were stuck with the room throughout our stay in bali. The only wonderful thing about Mastapa was its close proximity to the shopping belt. Bali is such a nice place to spend your vacation but having stayed in a hotel like Mastapa kind of marred the entire experience. I'd very much love to revisit Bali but I won't be staying in Mastapa again, that's for sure..!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
Vilarisi Hotel
#105 of 251 in Kuta
Wina Holiday Villa Hotel
The Kuta Beach Heritage Hotel Bali - Managed by Accor
Kuta Seaview Boutique Resort & Spa

Been to Mastapa Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!