“ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!”
Review of The Niche Bali

The Niche Bali
Ranked #104 of 251 Hotels in Kuta
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We recently got back from a 9 night stay at the Niche Hotel and we cannot fault it!!! A friend and I have stayed at high rating hotels (including the Dynasty) and we were very please with this small, quiet, comfortable and relaxing hotel. The rooms are very clean and minimalistic (no clutter) with new plasma tv's and dvd players (which cost extra to hire at other hotels). The staff were sooooo friendly and went out of their way to do whatever was needed. We had an aircon leak one morning and within 10 minutes it had been seen to and repaired.... because it is small maintence gets seen to quicker. The breakfast had everything you needed and freshly cooked eggs however you like them was great!!! The vegemite jars on the tables was a great aussie touch and they have mugs for coffee and tea instead of dainty cups!!! The pool was great and always kept very clean and happy hour was great too :) The poolside menu was yum!!! The location of this hotel is fantastic, for location the best I have stayed in... you step out to go right on Legian street and you are 10 minutes walk from the heart of Legian, and you step out right and you are minutes walk from the memorial, the pubs, clubs and great resturants and shopping. Another good thing is that the hotel is not located right on the main street, and is down a small lane way so noise is not heard, for security a guard sits at the end of the lane way at night :) The hotel Spa is also awesome and reasonably priced for a hotel :) $9 for a full body massage, staff here are very friendly too. We slept wonderfully... the noise is kept very minimal and the hotel closes the bar etc at 10pm to limit hotel noise. The noise that may be heard outside of the hotel is not the hotels issue they cant stop this :) Each room has a pool view and their is WIFI internet available for like $2.50 for an hour (very cheap)!!! All in all a fantastic holiday hotel, extremely relaxing which is what my friend and I were after :) and I cannot fault the staff as their assistance and willingness to go out of their way was outstanding :) Would probably not recommend for children as it is very small (only 35 rooms) their is not a lot to do with children!! Whilst we were their, there were many people from different age rangers, couples, friends, small groups!!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED... I WILL DEF BE STAYING AT THE NICHE AGAIN :) :)

Room Tip: Ground floor (if possible) and rooms 131, 132, 133, 134 :)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Ally1305

Reviewed 7 July 2011

If you are thinking of staying here Dont!!! On our first moring we woke up to the toilet overfloeing into the floor and into the shower with yes you guessed it! and the smell!!!!
so no shower that morning ! We went to reception who really didnt seem bother by it at all . and we then were told by two other guest that this had hadded three times in the last two days not only our room but the room next door...we ere told by reception just to pack our back and they would try to find another room maybe later that afternoon not a great start!
we did get another room later that day right next to the breakfast area and the bar (which plays lound pop music ll day and into the night) ...not great for sleeping in or trying to sleep at night......We required a twin share but now that was not possible the room had i bed and a single bed ....i dont recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing holidayI..or relaxing in the sun as there are not enough lounges around the pool. unless you are prepared to share with a few people on the same lounge be blasted by pop music and the company of young drinking splashing and jumping in the pool
Most of the guests were young 18 - 14 or so (great if you are in the age group)

We decided that with these conditions the smell and plumbing problems ( they had the pump truck in a few days later )this seems to be an ongoing problem!
To move to another hotel. I could not recommend this hotel to anyone

Due to the conditions we requested a part refund but the hotel refused!!!
not a great policy.we also got intouch with the travel agent and they had no luck either......Never Never stay there if you are looking for a relaxing clean enjoyable holiday!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dianne64_11
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Sadly, I stayed at The Niche on my final night in Bali, on the way back through Kuta to the airport. Out of the four hotels I stayed at during my trip, The Niche was the most disappointing. Everything was just too much trouble for the staff. I believe it is owned by an offshoot of the Suharto mob, so it's not overly surprising that the property is not supportive of the local community. There are no porters to help guests with baggage, which is unbelievable in an economy such as Indonesia's. Front of house staff can't even be bothered arranging a driver for a guest to get to the airport. I was told to go out on to the main street, 50m or so away, with all my luggage, and hail a taxi!

I can appreciate the property having a no smoking policy, and the rooms smell delightful as a result of this. But if they're going to impose a $2 million IDR (~US$200.00) fine on anybody that does smoke in their room, it wouldn't be too much of a ask for staff to place ashtrays on the balcony tables.

The 'please be quiet or you will be evicted without refund' policy is also a little confusing, since the mind-numbing thud of house music from neighbouring nightclubs that echo throughout the hotel until the early hours of the morning is much louder than any guests might be.

Considering its convenient location for bars and shopping, the staff, service and serious lack of basic/nice touches that are commonplace throughout the rest of the industry in Bali make this a very disappointing hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Gary_Meadows
Reviewed 16 June 2011

We have arrived at the NICHE Hotel and after reading some reviews here on trip advisor we were a bit apprehensive but we have been here 2 days now the hotel is clean and the staff are very friendly. Breakfast is great with fresh eggs cooked however you like. With all the usual like pancakes sausage bacon noodles toast pastries 3 choices of cereal 2 juices and fresh fruit. I don't see how any one complain about the choices I personally don't have that much choice at home.
All the rooms are around the pool so there is a little noise but not enough to cause complaint. I like the easy access to the pool and that is one of the things we look for when picking a hotel to stay.
The beds are firm but give a very comfortable nights sleep. LCD TV in room with DVD player that is something you have to hire extra in most other hotels of this price range.
I would recommend this hotel as a place that does suit all ages it is close to night clubs for the younger but not to close that the noise is a issue. A short stroll of the main street for all your shopping needs.
Overall this is a hotel I would really recommend to any one for a great holiday.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AndyF55
Reviewed 6 June 2011

This small hotel has it all.., for such a small price per night.
This hotel was once called the Samsara.. and I'm wondering what it was like then.. Feel that the, now, new owners have made 100% improvement on what it was before.. how could people complain on their stay at The Niche..?? Obviously there was huge amounts of room, for improvements..Obviously the old Samsara needed to be improved. For all of you that have complained about this hotel.. its obvious that you have not owned a buisness!!.. If you where told that this hotel was having renovations, and would be finshed before your stay, why did you not ask your travel agent/ or phone the hotel to find out if they had finished the renovations a couple of weeks before, so therefore you could change hotels.. if they had not finished the renovations?..
The location of The Niche is next door to all the night life... and we did not hear anything.. When we booked The Niche.. we knew it was in a very busy area and all the night life was only down the alley(drive way) or 100 mtrs away,, we slept very well every night.. Walking distance to everthing.. any way that is what Bali is all about.. lots of walking!!. Overall The Niche is very clean and a gorgeous small ..very friendly hotel.
Rooms, Bathroom, EXCELLENT. Staff at The Niche are EXCELLENT. The Spa EXCELLENT. The Swim up Pool Bar and Pool EXCELLENT and The Food, n snacks EXCELLENT. Cost of the Rooms, Food and Drinks all very, affordable. Internet, available at a tiny, small price,, I'm sure $3.00 Australian per hour will not break your budget!!
Enjoyed every Day, Minute, and Second at "The Niche".. and will be staying at "The Niche" again and again.. Thank you to all the Staff at " The Niche" XO

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Tiger062
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Pro
Location if u love clubbing n shopping.
Spacious n clean room
Nice staff.

Cons
Roof leaked while it rains (room 233)
Breakfast is exactly the same everyday.
Does not offer value for money ( at 100 sgd per night not even free Internet )

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 26 May 2011

There were good points and bad points about staying at the Niche. Construction had finished so I didn't experience the inconveniences other travellers have complained about. Pros ; awesome value, friendly staff, central location, the spa is amazing
Cons : noise at night, restaurant

Overall I wasn't disappointed but I wasn't over the moon about my Niche experience. If you want to be close to the nightlife and shopping that Kuta is famous for then this is a good, clean, well priced hotel. For me - I would have preferred somewhere quieter and closer to the beach which is probably where I would stay next time I'm in Bali.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank raecheyraech
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuta
Harper Kuta
White Rose Kuta Resort, Villas & Spa
Hotel Terrace At Kuta
Hotel Terrace At Kuta
#15 of 251 in Kuta

Been to The Niche Bali? Share your experiences!