“After renovation looks much nicer”

Taman Sari Cottages
Ranked #139 of 208 Speciality Lodging in Kuta
Barcelona, Spain
“After renovation looks much nicer”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We moved in Sari Bali Cottages after spending a horrible night at Bendesa Accomodation. For the same price (300.000 IRP) we got a room facing the garden (you get rooms not facing the garden and not renovated for 250.000 IRP).
Everything was nearly new: air con, bathroom with standing shower, bed, mattress. The rooms facing the garden were all renovated, except for some ones where working was in progress. Breakfast was correct: glass of tea/coffee and a fruit plate.
The environment is not noisy and rooms were clean.
The pool is big, and surrounded by a nice garden.
Overall, by november 2011, is a very good value for money.
Be aware that they don't book in advance, maybe a couple of days, so this hotel is a kind of walk-by one

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jose Maria N

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Perth
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We must have walked past this place countless times and have never ventured in. However, because we were unable to get a table at Kori Restaurant, we walked back to Taman Sari - so glad we did.

The service was excellent and the Tex Mex Chicken we ordered was cooked to perfection. Beautifully crumbed, stuffed with cheese and capsicum, and cooked so that the chicken was cooked through and moist. We finally really enjoyed our meal - up until then we had been having very lamentable experiences at all the "new" establishments we were game enough to try.

Looking around at the food served to other patrons and overhearing their comments, this is definitely a restaurant to head for in Kuta.

The food at the Kori, on the otherhand, when we booked a table for the next night, did disappoint.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eveeh81
Bundaberg, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2011

and when I saw the condition of the blanket (maybe they let the rooms out on a 2 hourly basis) I asked for clean blanket and sheets. The room had been renovated, so much better than the rattan walls and ceilings of last year.Had to change room from14 on 1st floor to 19 on 2nd floor to get better aircon.
This year room 19 balcony faced Legian street with no tall building to block music that went to early hoursLast year my room looked out onto restaurant and was quiet.
The bathroom door had been punched by someones "little darling" as had the entrance door to room 19.
I enjoyed my breakfast and ate at the restaurant twice . The Chimi Changers I thought better than TJ'S
Restaurant staff Eeloo lovely the reception staff spent each day sitting on their bottoms doing nothing.
They watched me (71 yrs old) struggle up entrance steps with my luggage when I arrived.
I won't be going to Bali again but if I did I would stay there for the price of their standard room and location, but one has to be prepared to keep looking for a room thats suits you
and I know I would take a pillow protector and pillow case.as when you remove the pillow case the pillow is cover in sweat stains and I always come home with cold and chest infection
For my renovated room ,better air con than last year, and telling them from the start I would like my room cleaned each day I think I got value for the money. OH the pool ladder still only has a top step, like last year so I couldn't go for a wallow

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank mumarobert
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2011

I realy enjoyed my stay at the Taman Sari Cottages. Even though the place is a bit outdated, the rooms and linen where cleaned on a daily basis. The restaurant has a wide choice of meals and drinks at very good prices. I found all of the staff very friendly and alway willing to help in any way they could. What a bonus to walk out of the hotel and right onto poppies lane for shopping. I can not wait to get back and stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank deege7
Worcestershire, England
Reviewed 7 December 2010

Full of young couples and families on the night we went. Service was excellent. Mix of Indonesian and Aussie favourites. All nicely done, if a tad plain. Cheap, good portions. Good buzz, but very noisy cuz of the incessant traffic along Poppies 2. Deserves a better rating

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank mackiep
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 5 December 2010

I stayed two nights at the Taman Sari in Poppies Lane II in Nov 2010.
The first room I was put in was quite dingy with the dark rattan/thatch ceiling and walls and a quite scary bathroom. I had read all the bad reviews...so knew what I was getting in to!
I then mentioned there was no TV in the room -- so they moved me to the room next door - BLISS!!. It had been redecorated with a proper ceiling and light coloured paint, so even though it was identical in size it appeared lighter, brighter and larger than the first room. The bathroom had also been re-done with new vanity & toilet (same blue bath though). What I don't get is the hotel was virtually empty -- why didn't they put me in the better room first??
I only paid about AUD$20 per night -- so I thought I got okay value (and the brekkies were nice). They were doing some work around the pool when I first arrived which put me off going pool-side. But the day I was leaving it had all been finished and looked quite nice.
The steps (or lack of) in the pool were a worry. I had to do my best "seal" impersonation to get out of the pool - very inelegant! Would be a concern to elderly or children.
The air-con in the room struggled to do its job -- and I ended up dragging the bed to the middle of the room to get the most benefit (I read another review to get that tip!!).
Alot of the Bali hotels give complimentary water - not this one. I got caught when a staff member returned to my room after check-in and handed me a roll of toilet paper and a bottle of water. Because it had been "handed" to me I assumed that it was free but on check-out I was charged for the water (thankfully not the toilet paper). The same water was Rp1,500 at the shop next door, but of course the hotel charged me Rp8,000 (okay - less than a dollar...but it was the principal).
Very central location right amongst shops, restaurants etc -- can be a bit noisy, but no worse than many other places I've stayed

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 24 June 2010

For the money that you have paid for it is still not value for money. I had a room that literally had a mark some sort had been punched. the toilet was a nightmare, dirty and the drain was clog. name all the dirty or your worst encounter with a hotel, they've got it. To add, the staff are freaking lazy and unhelpfull at all. The breakfast was horribly

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aiden_Ho

Travellers are raving about these Kuta hotels