“VERY BUDGET HOTEL - but slowly upgrading the rooms (just don't expect too much!)”

Taman Sari Cottages
Ranked #122 of 202 Speciality Lodging in Kuta
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

I stayed two nights at the Taman Sari in Poppies Lane II in Nov 2010.
The first room I was put in was quite dingy with the dark rattan/thatch ceiling and walls and a quite scary bathroom. I had read all the bad reviews...so knew what I was getting in to!
I then mentioned there was no TV in the room -- so they moved me to the room next door - BLISS!!. It had been redecorated with a proper ceiling and light coloured paint, so even though it was identical in size it appeared lighter, brighter and larger than the first room. The bathroom had also been re-done with new vanity & toilet (same blue bath though). What I don't get is the hotel was virtually empty -- why didn't they put me in the better room first??
I only paid about AUD$20 per night -- so I thought I got okay value (and the brekkies were nice). They were doing some work around the pool when I first arrived which put me off going pool-side. But the day I was leaving it had all been finished and looked quite nice.
The steps (or lack of) in the pool were a worry. I had to do my best "seal" impersonation to get out of the pool - very inelegant! Would be a concern to elderly or children.
The air-con in the room struggled to do its job -- and I ended up dragging the bed to the middle of the room to get the most benefit (I read another review to get that tip!!).
Alot of the Bali hotels give complimentary water - not this one. I got caught when a staff member returned to my room after check-in and handed me a roll of toilet paper and a bottle of water. Because it had been "handed" to me I assumed that it was free but on check-out I was charged for the water (thankfully not the toilet paper). The same water was Rp1,500 at the shop next door, but of course the hotel charged me Rp8,000 (okay - less than a dollar...but it was the principal).
Very central location right amongst shops, restaurants etc -- can be a bit noisy, but no worse than many other places I've stayed

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

For the money that you have paid for it is still not value for money. I had a room that literally had a mark some sort had been punched. the toilet was a nightmare, dirty and the drain was clog. name all the dirty or your worst encounter with a hotel, they've got it. To add, the staff are freaking lazy and unhelpfull at all. The breakfast was horribly

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Farha_Ho

Travellers are raving about these Kuta hotels

Bundaberg, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

there 5 days sheets not changed, sheets to small for bed, air con leaked above entrance onto floor, had to move bed out into room to get benefit of cool air ,doors out to balcony had 1/2 inch gap looked at 3 rooms before we found one where the ice box in mini bar not frozen up Pool was clean but as a senior I couldn't access pool due to plastic steps on ladder into pool being broken

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
darwin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2009

As the saying goes you get what you pay for!! You certainly do here!! I think the bathroom suite was blue at some stage in its life but it was hard to tell through the black scum. The bed and pillows were damp and smelly. The room itself was dark and dinjy, the aircon was around a corner so could not be felt when we were in bed trying to sleep, not that we got much due to the noise. The staff were very unhelpful, watched me struggle with my luggage, wouldn't help us with transport. To sum up it was a noisy, smelly and dirty place, cheap and nasty rather than cheap and cheerful.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Scotiroo
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2009

I tend to think a roof over the head is a bonus. Some would not like this hotel,its old and dated however I found the staff to be helpful and friendly. The rates are low and that more than compensates for the age of the hotel, The location is close enough to Legian Sri that even a 100 year old would not feel worn out walking the distance. If you intend hiring a car then parking is limited and a bit hard for the novice driver.Motorbike parking and hire is available and would be more convenient though in the end its cheaper to employ a driver for the day as its a 50/50 chance you may have an accident. I tend to find I am never in the room for more than 6 hours a day so I don't mind less creature comforts and a platinum smile. I never had a problem with valuables and they have large security boxes at reception.I initially booked 3 nights and stayed 16.nights. I am going on 60 yrs old and never felt it was noisier than other places. The M'Bargo can be heard a bit but if you enjoy Bali life you will be asleep in no time anyway.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank gumnutts
Milano
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2008

Rewiew on Taman Sari Cottages, Poppies Lane 2, Kuta, Bali
Hello,
We have been to Bali 5 times and this time force to go by another couple we went to Taman Sari Cottages in Poppies Lane2. Very cheap of course (16 USD x night including breakfast) so you can’t expect much but we have been in other places not very expensive and we never never never came across something like this.

Room are very dirty, our one was very dark, most of them with twin bed, our one was, 2 legs of the bed almost destroyed.
We did find chewing gums everywhere. The telephone was so dirty we never made a phone call and the 4 menus next to it very grease and two of them stuck together with a huge chewing gum. The water pressure it is very, very low and hot water takes ages to come true. Bathroom also very dirty. We had to get a plastic bag and tided up under the drain pipe (duck neck) to collect the water coming from a leak. Why we did this? After asking the staff to do something about it they never did.
The bottom of the swimming pool it is green since they never clean it with many broken tiles which are very sharp in some places.
Breakfast start at 08.00 not one minute before even if at check in we have been told that will start at 07.00
The walls between the rooms are so thin that you can hear everything.
Most of the client are young and go out every night to disco coming back at about 3 or 4 in the morning completely drunk, you can image what is happening at this time. One early mooring someone was fighting on the second floor and a table flow out of the window. No police was called no action been taken.
The staff it is completely useless in any given occasion.
We book a car for rental for the following day, do you think we got it, of course not, they told us it was not available anymore but in a such way that was like: [--] y**.
The place it is not too fare away from a big discotheque (not the hotel fault), but there are others present in the area. At night it is impossible to sleep and when the music stops, at different time depends on the day of the week, they are coming back to the rooms and start talking, shouting, laughing, more bintang………………
The bed sheets are too small for the bed so they don’t stay put and go all over the place also dark and some smell like if been washed with kitchen rags.
We took one pillow case off and the pillow was stained all over and very smelly
This is not all, but I think is enough to give an idea.
We hope this will help you making decisions or if you are in doubt feel free to try it yourself.

From here we went to Masa Inn in Poppies 1, very nice only the room did not get clean very well but not a real problem.

Renato

2 Thank numer01
Levallois-Perret
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2006

My wife and I stayed there for three nights. We paid around 45 EUR per night.

We had an overall positive impression, even if the hotel suffers from some inconveniences (insects, night frog and dog concerts mainly).

We had a deluxe garden view room, n°108, which is the last ranked as garden view vs other ocean view ones. So pretty good deals, as you can see the ocean without paying for it.

Restaurant : nice thai food, which gives interesting alternative vs Bali ingredients. Offer is wide enough not to get bored after 2 meals. We but had one big issue : we were served king prawns with a terrible oil taste. Really uneatable. We gave it back to the waitres, which exchanged it for an other dish.

Hotel activities : as usual in Bali, 5 times cheaper in the hotel vs if you plan it in the street. Be careful nevertheless, hotel is pretty isolated, so no travel agency. You can just skip the hotel taxi, and choose the local red mini buses. Stop is 400 m away from hotel alley (close to a white statue).

Beach is really pleasant, very calm, you feel like RObinson Crusoe, alone in the world. Nothing to do with Kuta or Jimbaran crowds. Hotel gives chairs; no issue with begglars, there is simply none.

Our room was rather clean, even if the mosquito nest was covered with blood/dirt/? External bathroom is very pleasant, as shower is figured by a lady flowing water from an amphore. Room was but rather dark at night, which gives the impression of unperfect cleaning and readiness.

Staff was always very nice to us.

You can stay there for a nice relax in a quiet area. You will but feel a bit isolated, as there is nothing but the hotel on the beach, and no external leisure. National park is 2 hour walking or 30 min driving away. Plan your moves !

• Liked — Overall calm atmosphere
  • Disliked — Isolation if you stay a while and want to escape from the resort
  • Tips/Secrets — Buy mineral water from the grocery shop 100 meters left from hotel exit. Nice price and people
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Epigone