“Cheap fun place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taman Sari Cottages

Taman Sari Cottages
Ranked #120 of 201 Speciality Lodging in Kuta
Melbourne, Australia
“Cheap fun place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2011

I realy enjoyed my stay at the Taman Sari Cottages. Even though the place is a bit outdated, the rooms and linen where cleaned on a daily basis. The restaurant has a wide choice of meals and drinks at very good prices. I found all of the staff very friendly and alway willing to help in any way they could. What a bonus to walk out of the hotel and right onto poppies lane for shopping. I can not wait to get back and stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank deege7

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Worcestershire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2010

Full of young couples and families on the night we went. Service was excellent. Mix of Indonesian and Aussie favourites. All nicely done, if a tad plain. Cheap, good portions. Good buzz, but very noisy cuz of the incessant traffic along Poppies 2. Deserves a better rating

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank mackiep
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

I stayed two nights at the Taman Sari in Poppies Lane II in Nov 2010.
The first room I was put in was quite dingy with the dark rattan/thatch ceiling and walls and a quite scary bathroom. I had read all the bad reviews...so knew what I was getting in to!
I then mentioned there was no TV in the room -- so they moved me to the room next door - BLISS!!. It had been redecorated with a proper ceiling and light coloured paint, so even though it was identical in size it appeared lighter, brighter and larger than the first room. The bathroom had also been re-done with new vanity & toilet (same blue bath though). What I don't get is the hotel was virtually empty -- why didn't they put me in the better room first??
I only paid about AUD$20 per night -- so I thought I got okay value (and the brekkies were nice). They were doing some work around the pool when I first arrived which put me off going pool-side. But the day I was leaving it had all been finished and looked quite nice.
The steps (or lack of) in the pool were a worry. I had to do my best "seal" impersonation to get out of the pool - very inelegant! Would be a concern to elderly or children.
The air-con in the room struggled to do its job -- and I ended up dragging the bed to the middle of the room to get the most benefit (I read another review to get that tip!!).
Alot of the Bali hotels give complimentary water - not this one. I got caught when a staff member returned to my room after check-in and handed me a roll of toilet paper and a bottle of water. Because it had been "handed" to me I assumed that it was free but on check-out I was charged for the water (thankfully not the toilet paper). The same water was Rp1,500 at the shop next door, but of course the hotel charged me Rp8,000 (okay - less than a dollar...but it was the principal).
Very central location right amongst shops, restaurants etc -- can be a bit noisy, but no worse than many other places I've stayed

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

For the money that you have paid for it is still not value for money. I had a room that literally had a mark some sort had been punched. the toilet was a nightmare, dirty and the drain was clog. name all the dirty or your worst encounter with a hotel, they've got it. To add, the staff are freaking lazy and unhelpfull at all. The breakfast was horribly

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Farha_Ho

Travellers are raving about these Kuta hotels

Bundaberg, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2010

there 5 days sheets not changed, sheets to small for bed, air con leaked above entrance onto floor, had to move bed out into room to get benefit of cool air ,doors out to balcony had 1/2 inch gap looked at 3 rooms before we found one where the ice box in mini bar not frozen up Pool was clean but as a senior I couldn't access pool due to plastic steps on ladder into pool being broken

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
darwin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2009

As the saying goes you get what you pay for!! You certainly do here!! I think the bathroom suite was blue at some stage in its life but it was hard to tell through the black scum. The bed and pillows were damp and smelly. The room itself was dark and dinjy, the aircon was around a corner so could not be felt when we were in bed trying to sleep, not that we got much due to the noise. The staff were very unhelpful, watched me struggle with my luggage, wouldn't help us with transport. To sum up it was a noisy, smelly and dirty place, cheap and nasty rather than cheap and cheerful.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Scotiroo
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2009

I tend to think a roof over the head is a bonus. Some would not like this hotel,its old and dated however I found the staff to be helpful and friendly. The rates are low and that more than compensates for the age of the hotel, The location is close enough to Legian Sri that even a 100 year old would not feel worn out walking the distance. If you intend hiring a car then parking is limited and a bit hard for the novice driver.Motorbike parking and hire is available and would be more convenient though in the end its cheaper to employ a driver for the day as its a 50/50 chance you may have an accident. I tend to find I am never in the room for more than 6 hours a day so I don't mind less creature comforts and a platinum smile. I never had a problem with valuables and they have large security boxes at reception.I initially booked 3 nights and stayed 16.nights. I am going on 60 yrs old and never felt it was noisier than other places. The M'Bargo can be heard a bit but if you enjoy Bali life you will be asleep in no time anyway.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo