“My worst hotel stay in Bali”

Maxi Hotel, Restaurant & Spa
Ranked #218 of 251 Hotels in Kuta
Tunbridge Wells
“My worst hotel stay in Bali”
Reviewed 6 August 2009

After a week at very nice hotels in Bali, my daughter and I decided to extend our stay for an extra few days. Being 23 years old, she obviously wanted to stay in Kuta for the night life, but June is peak season and awfully busy, so the only hotel which could accommodate us was The Maxi.

My gut feeling told me that it was probably not a good idea because the hotel is located directly opposite Paddy's and all the bars, so would obviously be noisy. But beggars can't be choosers and the receptionist promised us a "quiet" room at the back for $70 US dollars per night.

Our room was ho-hum and nothing special but we were grateful to have somewhere to stay. However, soon after checking in, I found water all over the bathroom floor as the toilet cistern was over-flowing. They sent a couple of workmen up and within a few minutes told me it was "fixed". Soon after that, I went shopping because there was a lot of drilling noise from renovation work being done somewhere nearby.

When I returned after supper time, I found the bathroom floor soaking wet again, and they sent more workmen up. An hour later, I peeked into the bathroom and saw them physically dismantling the loo and there was "poo" all over the floor!

In great distress, I whizzed downstairs and complained to the duty manageress. She was pleasant enough, but not all that helpful. Her solution was to offer me a lower rate of $55 US per night for my remaining three days at the hotel. Ludicrous!

By the time the workmen had stopped faffing around in the bathroom, it was nearly midnight. As I could not get another room elsewhere that night, I told them to put the loo back the way it was and clean up the floor! Ghastly night, and to top it off, our so called "quiet" room was quite the opposite. The boom-boom noise from the clubs across the road was an absolute nightmare! We eventually got to sleep at 4 am.

I have been visiting Bali for 23 years, and have never encountered a hotel as dreadful as this for noise, extremely sub-standard room, and the most dreadful bathroom facilities.

Yes, we paid the full $70 US dollars for the dubious pleasure of one night's stay, with "maxi-mum" noise, "maxi-mum discomfort" and "maxi-mum" annoyance. Without much ado, we briskly checked out the next morning and flew back to Singapore!

2 Thank Appalledandkaypoh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Indonesian first
Vietnam
Reviewed 14 July 2009

Friendly service, Good menu selection, Excelent SPA, in the hub of the nightlife, If you a party person its the place be. Very relaxed atmospere

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2009

In April 2009 I was transiting via Bali and had to stay there one night. My travel agent recommended Maxi Hotel as a convenient/affordable option. Although the hotel staff were friendly, the room was terrible and the breakfast quite meagre. For starters, the bed sheets looked and felt like dirty teatowels. They did not look clean, but since I was checking in quite late in the evening, rather than asking them to change, I decided to go to sleep in my clothes. Despite that I still got bitten by mosquitos several times during the night. The walls of the room were so thin that you could hear every conversation outside. The room was on the ground floor and the curtains did not provide much privacy from passersby in the hallway. There was a safety deposit box in the room, but no kettle/tea/coffee making facilities. In short, not a good deal.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Kuta hotels

Nice, France
Reviewed 17 May 2009

Close to Poppies Lane, on the main drag but set back a long way. Its not far from the beach and all the Kuta night life. We love this hote our room is amazing, large and ariy with great air con. The TV works and the wifi is the best we have had anywhere in 2 months on the road. the terraces and balconies are quiet and breezy... feels a million miles from Kuta. Price is fabulous, we paid twice this to stay at the Mercure on a special offer and nowhere near as comfortable. Plus every day some beach loud speaker system woke us at round 5.00am.
We rather like the sound of late night music but if you cant stand it then perhaps you should head to a more resort like space on the beach . Other than that very peaceful setting. Great restaurant and spa as well.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JennyInnervision
Singapore
Reviewed 23 April 2009

Having to work in a 4 star hotel industry in singapore, ive always expect other hotels in other parts of the world on par. And trully ive found one at Bali.

Maxi hotel has the most wonderfull set of staffs, the best function mannager (Miss Selfin) and the best location in town. Their toilet is clean, very accesable. And has the most wonderfull and spacious bathroom around(with bath tub)

I ve stayed there for a week in bali and its been an amazing experience so far. Selfin which i praise is for being very patient with me for organizing an unforgetable Surprise Blindfold Birthday party for my Fiancee and my Bestfriend. Very patient and understanding. She even stayed till 12 am which is untill my whole function has finished.

Staffs are great, all smiles and greets(by name). Front office girls are gorgeously friendly. Pool boy was helpfull. Room attendant very attentive (Every day clean up your room). Room is great eventhough its paddy's bar and Bounty is directly across the street, You couldnt hear the sound of Heavy loud music in the room in close doors( room 31-33)

However here are some highlights, the breakfast is ala carte which has less variety eventhough its inclusive(wish they could have buffet) The Duty manager everynight has no expressions. Lights in the rooms are so dim that sometimes it really hurts your eyes.

However after all that Miss Selfin has created a wonderfull and exciting week for me in Bali.nowi would love to come there everytime i seek a holiday. Because of MAxi ive learnt to love Bali even more.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 29 March 2009

It's our honeymoon, we just hit Bali without any hotels reservations, we had to gamble and listen to the agent @ the agent booth, airport and they recommended Maxi Hotel & Spa.. We never regret it, the area, the hotel, the ppl, the shopping area that open up till 2am and some till 4 am! It's the area of all lounge, night clubs, and pubs! We love the place so much coz of the location that is near to d beach, shoppings and stuff, and the Wi-Fi service from the room, we wouldn't even want to leave the place. We did this thing called 'ROOM-HOPPING'. Can say that we've tried every type of rooms, and its nice. Breakfast was simple and nice and we get to choose few types of food for our b'fast. And the best [art is, Starbux is rite infront of the hotel. 1 minute walk, there goes ur cup of coffee.. :)

• Stayed March 2009
jakarta, indonesia
Reviewed 25 March 2009

They promised in-room wi-fi but didn't deliver. Also, when the key tag they gave me broke and the key fell off, they didn't have another copy, so I had to keep having the clerks lock and unlock the room. Grr.

Stayed March 2009, travelled solo