“Quiet hotel in a very crowded Kuta area” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nathan Hotel

Nathan Hotel
Ranked #223 of 249 Hotels in Kuta
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Quiet hotel in a very crowded Kuta area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I did not have any expectation before since I read some bad reviews from many travelers. One of the main reason I booked this hotel was because they offered very good price. I was surprised that the hotel location is nearby Balinese traditional housing with small lane and only can be accessed by car, so bus cannot enter the lane. I was impressed by the hotel style that is modern with Balinese touch. The staff were friendly and helpful. I love the swimming pool and the clean bed. They provided fridge but unfortunately no electric jug was available. The ambient was so calm, even though it is situated near by the noisy Discovery mall and Kuta beach.

Room Tip: Room in front of the swimming pool are nice
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MHMWays2015, Manager at Nathan Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2015
Dear mamisinga

Thank you for your review and as we are now working on our improvement in product and services, we are looking forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back again to new improved of Nathan Kuta Hotel

Please feel free to drop a note to info@mandarahospitality.com if we can assist you with your future room booking

Management Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Indonesian first
Rockingham, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

We managed about 45 minutes there.
Despite multiple emails prior, no extra bed was installed, had to wait 15 mins for a mattress to be put on the floor!
Safe didn't work, no bulbs in light fittings, air con blew ambient temp only, musty smell, previous guest receipts still in draw complete with layer of dust, more grout missing than intact in bathroom, fridge filthy, gaps under the (padlockable) door you could push a matchbox car through.
The staff were Balinese friendly and the pool was ok are the only plus.
I didn't expect the Hyatt, but I expected at least old Aussie pub standard! Didn't get it.
Was refused any refund on 2nd and 3rd nights (paid upfront 3 nights)
Save your money, stay anywhere else!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Matthew G
Dear Matthew G

Management Team

Travellers are raving about these Kuta hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff at this hotel located central in Kuta but off the Main Street so it was nice and quiet. Not for the flash packer but the air con in the room was great and the beds were very comfy. Nice pool and breakfast fine. Walking distance to the beach in Kuta. Overall happy with our stay.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear GladerN

Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

very basic and run down hotel. does not look any thing like the pictures. safe did not work, we also had to ask for toilet paper (on the arrival), batteries for the remote and a mattress protector. At least it was clean.
The worst thing was it was down a dark alley - and not nice or safe when walking down at night time. The alley did have a really nice very cheap restaurant (if you call it that).
Good location though to the beach.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear jimmy_the_eagle22222

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

I always spend my last one or two nights in Bali in South Kuta to be near the airport. I got a good deal through AGODA and so stayed at Nathan (May 2102 - AUD$33).
When I arrived at 12pm I was told check-in was at 2pm...I always arrive early at hotels in Bali and have never had a problem checking in early...but it didn't worry me, I just went for a wander. I did however discover later that no-one had actually been in my room the previous night so there was no reason they couldn't have let me check in early (what was that about??).
I paid extra for a pool-side room...and it wasn't really poolside. Near the pool (as all rooms are), but I felt tlike they were really pushing me on the outer...maybe because I had booked a cheap rate through AGODA?? Who knows!!
My room was quite near reception and alas I heard the phone ringing through the night (not being answered).
The toilet was dodgy and the shower mouldy (like home really:)) . The reception staff were not the friendliest I had encountered - perhaps they would have suited a budget travellers' motel in Oz...abrupt, smile-less and sticklers to "check-in is at 2pm".
There were some noisy kids at the pool both days, and some guy banging on my door in the middle of the night (wrong room...geez he got a scare when I answered in my pjs and gave him a serve!!!)...but that wasn't the hotel's fault.
Basically, the location was good for me and the bed was comfy so I would consider staying again if the rate was cheap and I got a room away from reception.
It is NOT a holiday hotel...it is just a "stop-over" before the airport. Stay with that in mind and you won't be disappointed.
More recently I stayed at the Radha Hotel in the same lane...newer hotel and slightly nicer staff...but same philosophy...stop-over hotel ONLY....not a holiday hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from reception -- the phone ringing all hours kept me awake!!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Dear DebbieDenmarkWA

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

I booked this hotel as it was referred to us and we were assured that all would be above board. We were to arrive late in the night and I thought this would do us for the next few hours until check into our main hotel. On arrival, we drove down a dark extensive alley way which would not be the usual travel passage for your average traveler. But I would give it the benefit of the doubt and trust what I was told. When I arrived into the room, the toilet floor was flooded with water as the toilet was constantly running and would not flush. A man came well into the night to repair the toilet and that meant to turn the tap off, so as not to let the toilet run throughout the night. We therefore could not flush it, so were unable to use the toilet at all! The towels in the bathroom were well past their used by date and even had stains on them, I refused to shower or even touch them. The shower was all moldy. Throughout the room there was a damp musty smell, and on our arrival the air conditioner was running in an attempt I believe to alleviate the awful smell in the room. I did not sleep a wink as the odor would hit the back of my throat as I was trying to sleep and I was constantly worrying at the damage it would cause to one's health if exposed to it for an excessive amount of time. We were given a twin room, but booked and paid for a double room and the sheets were musty smelling and wrinkled. We asked to move but were refused this request. We squeezed into one bed as my bed had dark hair in it and appeared to have little red dots which appeared to be blood stains. The safety deposit box failed to work and when I asked for someone to come and fix the problem I was told that the “engineer” could not come until the next day. The door to the room was appalling; we had absolutely no security in the room.... It was locked on the outside by a "padlock and chain" and when we were inside, and it was only lockable by a piece of wood which ran across the two doors and a little latch at the top of the door which was missing screws and which was supposed to secure it from the wall to the door when closed. It also had massive gaps between the door and the frame so with a swift kick to it could open very easily. I did not sleep a wink that night. I. Breakfast was dismal. This experience has definitely taught me a lesson or two, trust your gut instincts and when those tell you not to believe all that you read on the trip advisor websites....please don't believe them and please take heed to what you read!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ILovetotravel333
Dear ILovetotravel333

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012

It was very difficult to find this hotel at first but we were surprised how good it looks upon arrival, even at night. This hotel is hidden in a back lane off the main road (Kartika Plaza Road). A very nice hotel indeed with clean rooms. We booked 2 rooms next to each other. Downside is that this hotel is without lift and guests are required to walk up. Highest will be 3rd floor. Simple breakfast provided . Nice pool area with sun deck chairs. Overall a nice hotel with clean rooms. Also, it's a short walk to Kuta Square area and to the beach (15 minutes walk). Food and bars plenty on the way there.

Room Tip: Choose a room on lower floor as they do not have lift !
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends