“It Is Really a St.Regis Experience???”

The St. Regis Bali Resort
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Hong Kong, China
“It Is Really a St.Regis Experience???”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

St. Regis is a most luxury brand from Starwood, but my experience here don't live up their reputation.

Need to Improve:
-Value: terrible Value, for 500 USD in St Regis you only get a Classic Garden View Suite Room, 92 sqm. If you stay in Banyan Tree, you can get a very spacious Pool Villa (Villa-stand alone building) maybe over 403 sqm, with jacuzzi and private pool. If you stay in Room, it will be lack of privacy, for that sky rocketing price, you can get best value everywhere with Villa stay- for the best privacy.
-Their official website have a "best rate guarantee policy", beware of this policy, as sometimes, the other travel website (like hotelsclick, agoda, booking, etc) sometimes sell their room with cheaper price. If you can find lower price, you can sent a Online Claim Form, and if they accept your claim, you can get a discount. IMHO it's a hassle for me, as I must check everyday to other travel website. My friend stay here 2 years ago, and they don't know about this policy, so they loss about USD 300.
-After I watch St.Regis Bali video on Youtube and read others review too. I expecting my arrival experience will be the most enjoyable one (pick up us after we landed form airplane (before arrival hall), but in my case they just pick up us in arrival area, after baggage claim... And more thing they use a 3rd party car (Express Taxi-which their owner is same as St.Regis Bali). I expecting they use their own car accompanied with St.Regis butler (St. Regis Mercedes R-Class in Youtube), in reality they use a 3rd party Express Taxi a Old Mercedes ML class, which a little bit dirty. It makes a very big difference if St.Regis use their own car with own butler, as we can speak about the resort facilities, etc (Express Taxi driver is polite enough, but they don't know at all about St.Regis Bali).
-As I mentioned in previous review about St.Regis Bali: The television and wi-fi did not work well, down many times, especially wi-fi in beach area. The sea and salt lagoon pool is very dirty, In sea many plastic leftover coffee, instant noodles, etc. In the salt lagoon pool, there are many fall leaves and flowers.
-Hospitality: when I met the security guard on the beach (near the Strand Villas), they even turned away when I passed, usually at another hotel, they say hello and smile. One time in Lobby, I see hotel GM, Mrs.Lucia Liu, you just set your butler when you are a group of guests arrive, greet your guests indirectly (like in Amankila, Alila Uluwatu, etc, the GM personally meet and greet us when we arrive). In my opinion, this is good, because you pay attention to your guests, but for me this kind of arrival experience is less personal.

And the saving grace was:
-Their Breakfast at Boneka: WOW, WOW, WOW, very delicious, they have a caviar, lobster, foie gras, wagyu, oyster etc... It's combination a from buffet style, and ready to order a la minute. PS: in my opinion have a breakfast experience here is much better than staying here (the hospitality, service, hotel room, grounds, beach is too mediocre).
-When make reservation, I make it clear that my purpose for stay here is to celebrate my special moments, and St.Regis, sent a delicious cake for us, nice touch.

Recommended: No, see my others review for Bali section (Amankila, Alila Uluwatu), St.Regis Bali is far inferior.
Return To Sleep: No, but I definitely will return for brunch in Boneka/Kayuputi.

As usual, I always include photos in each of my reviews on Tripadvisor. - It's Real Review.

Room Tip: Room facing ocean.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank FSB_81
TheStRegisBali, Hotel Manager at The St. Regis Bali Resort, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear FSB-81,

Sunny greetings from The St. Regis Bali Resort.

Thank you for your constructive feedback and I am very sorry to read your personal experience at our resort.

In the other vent, I would like to thank you for the positive feedback regarding our cuisine that I will certainly share it with the teams.

With respect to your concerns pertaining to our “best rate guarantee” I believe it is clearly explained in our official website with it terms and conditions.

As we are constantly striving to improve ourselves, I appreciate your honest comments very much. I will definitely have an internal discussion with the teams on each and every concerns you highlighted as we take guest feedback very seriously and your feedback will certainly be used for further improvement.

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to have the opportunity to welcome you back and I do hope that this experience will not permanently mar your opinion of our resort.

Lucia Liu
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We booked two suites and recently stayed there for five days. This holiday was specially for my sister and my daughter. We stayed at St Regis on my daughter's insistence and have no regrets about it. The service was excellent. The hotel's ambience was breathtaking.It's one of the best holiday cum beach resorts that we have ever been to. We swam at the salt water lagoon every morning and enjoyed the peaceful walks at the beach in the evenings. The garden were very well maintained. The hotel also offers many facilities such as spa, gym, library and etc. The international buffet breakfast offered at the hotel was the best with so much of varities. Simply awesome! The rooms were very clean and spacious. The hotel staffs were very helpful and friendly. We missed the coffee and tea provided at no costs 24 hours. We vouched to return and stay at the same hotel as our stay there was simply amazing!

Room Tip: Second floor suites onward are good and if could afford it please stay at the private villas.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SriAnantha
TheStRegisBali, Executive Assistant Manager at The St. Regis Bali Resort, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear SriAnantha,

Greetings from The St. Regis Bali Resort.

I was happy to learn that you had enjoyed your stay with us and it is honored that our valued guest such as yours for having chosen our resort..

This is our utmost pleasure to know that you have chosen and stayed in The St. Regis Bali Resort with the fabulous experience. As our hotel aim that we are going to make every stay of our guest unforgettable and flawless with us.

Moreover, we are looking forward for welcoming you in our resort to enjoy and experience more our resort in the near future.

With best regards,

Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was probably our fifth or sixth stay at St Regis. Why? Because it is consistently the best beach hotel in Bali. We have stayed at Mulia, Nusa Dua Resort, The Seminyak, The Legian, Samaya, etc. etc. and every time we try somewhere different my wife and I look at each other and say 'we should have gone to St Regis'.
The villas are fabulous. We are fortunate to be able to stay in a Strand villa so have direct access through our beautiful garden to the beach and our reserved sunbeds. Even there we are pampered with complimentary fresh fruit, outstanding wait service and even a dedicated sunglass cleaner!
Food? The best in Bali with a wine list to match. Kayuputi for the best of the best. Boneka for the most sumptuous buffet - I mean ever - even at breakfast. Where else could you get lobster and foie gras served along side eggs benedict and pancakes with maple syrup? Gourmand Deli for that something different?
Service? There are so many happy, smiling staff all genuinely wanting you to enjoy their beloved Bali and nothing is too much for them.
I was surprised reading an earlier reviewer who felt that his SPG Gold membership was not acknowledged. That certainly isn't my experience. I can only think that, as St Regis Bali make clear, there participation in the SPG program is limited.
All in all, well done to Ms Liu and her team. We will ge back.........

Room Tip: Villa definitely Strand villa if you can!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David P
TheStRegisBali, Executive Assistant Manager at The St. Regis Bali Resort, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear David P,

Sunny greetings from The St. Regis Bali Resort.

Thank you for being one of our loyal guest and for again choosing our resort as your resort preferences.

I am so happy to know that you had a wonderful stay and that you have enjoyed your dining experience.

Once again, thank you very much for your continued support and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from our one year anniversary trip to Bali and we loved the 5 nights we stayed at the St. Regis. We stayed in one of the pool villas which was enormous and gorgeous. In addition to the luxurious rooms, the grounds are incredible. We would usually spend the morning by our private pool and then afternoons at the beach. The chairs are the beach were so comfortable and the staff was extremely accommodating setting up chairs and bringing you waters.

We honestly not say enough about how helpful the staff was. We were taken care of every moment of our trip from the great breakfast buffet to the concierge to the beautiful set up of animal towels and cake they presented the last night. The staff even brought us coffee before we left at 2 am to climb Mount Batur one night. I can go on and on but the staff makes you feel at home and really give you the true Balinese welcome.

The food at the St Regis was also amazing. There was everything you wanted at the breakfast buffet and for lunch we would eat my the pool. We also ate at Kayputi our last night which was a very special fine dining experience. Thank you St Regis for making our one year anniversary so special!!

-Amanda and Jared Podnos

Room Tip: We stayed in pool villa 709 which was perfectly situated between the hotel and the beach (about two...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda P
Dear Amanda P,

Sunny greetings from The St. Regis Bali Resort.

Thank you very much for your continued support on our brand!

On behalf of the entire team, It’s an honor to have you as our loyal guest and that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcome you back in the future and certainly hope that your next stay will be as enjoyable as the previous stay.

Tiburon, California
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed there for six days for the beginning part of our two week honeymoon in Bali. We were deciding between the top resorts in Nusa Dua (Aman, Four Seasons in Kuta and the Bulgari). We ended up choosing the St Regis because of its location which is situated really nicely near a beautiful beach. Aman is not on the beach, Four Seasons is on a cliffy bay (we went there for lunch and checked it out) and Bulgari is pretty isolated down south and also very cliffy.

The resort grounds are beautiful. And they are maintained extraordinarily well. The location and layout might be the best we saw in that area.

We stayed in a lagoon side villa which was incredible. Private plunge pool, access to the 3000 meter swimming lagoon, very nicely appointed living room (separate) and bedroom. The bathroom was one of the nicest I've seen. Bose speakers throughout, very nice wood and marble. The hotel didn't cut corners on the build and design of the room.

The restaurants are nice and yummy albeit pretty expensive. We ate at all three restaurants and enjoyed them all differently as they are all pretty different.

The issue we had throughout the full week we were there though was the inconsistent service. Honestly, there is a LOT of room for improvement and training to improve in this area and truly make the resort a five star destination since all the other aspects of the hotel are incredible.

Lets start with the check in. The check in was the most disappointing. After long travel from California, we weren't really greeted that warmly by the reception staff. Despite being picked up by the hotel car, they weren't ready for us when we pulled up. This is an easy detail to nail.

They instructed us to sit on the couch and wait for someone to bring the paperwork. They also brought a drink which was nice. It felt very impersonal though and they acted pretty robotic and bored. It was odd since we seemed to be the only guests there as during the wait and we didn't see one other guest (it was around 7pm) yet there were three people working reception, one butler at the desk, one concierge, two people playing musical instruments and a lovely singer and pianist in the bar lounge with about ten wait staff standing around. Literally no guests though! Despite this no one really welcomed us. Really odd. (I'll get to this later only after a few days did we realize that everyone there is a worker bee and no one really takes ownership or is empowered to represent the hotel or make a decision. This was a constant theme, and a major shortcoming of the hotel).

We booked through American Express which offers a one level upgrade if available. Considering the hotel was at low occupancy (mid May), which we researched before our arrival that there were many rooms of each type still available a few days before our flight. Plus the lack of any hotel guests in the main lobby kind of confirmed this as well. it was also later confirmed by hotel staff during the week that the hotel was at 50 percent occupancy and that they will be busier in June and July. We are also SPG gold and were not redeeming any points -- we were paying.

Given our Amex reservation with upgrade, low occupancy and them knowing it was our honeymoon, I was shocked when they informed us that an upgrade was not available. However they could sell us an upgrade for an additional 300 per night for a two class upgrade. After 20 plus hours of travel this was the absolute last thing I wanted to deal with at the time. I was also somewhat embarrassed in front of my wife. We paid for it after a little haggling; I really just wanted a shower. We then had to wait 30 minutes for the room to be prepared and they didn't even think to cover our 20 USD a piece drinks. Not a good start to our honeymoon but we were too tired to really care at the time.

Service throughout was very spotty. Some people really cared and represented the hotel well. Most did not and seemed focused on their specific micro role, whatever it was, at the expense of solving for what the guests are asking for. At breakfast there are dozens of staff, but only one was empowered to take your order. Lots of standing around. Very friendly and smiley, so it is hard to get upset, but just not that helpful. It was really odd!

The hotel never setup roses or rose pedals in our room which I think they were supposed to do for our honeymoon. Another detail that was missed.

One person took the time to learn our name and greet us with genuine kindness and helpfulness when we bumped into each other. His name was Katra and he was a shining example of how the hotel should train its staff.

I think there is a major training issue at the hotel that will prevent it from being considered a true five star resort. It has all the pieces to be one though so it is really up to management. The grounds and facilities are five stars. The service is two or maybe three.

I'll contrast this stay with our next hotel Four Seasons Sayan (by Ubud) which was so far superior to our stay at St Regis it honestly wasn't even close. Everyone knew our name, they learned our breakfast preferenes after just one meal, everyone was helpful, and they solved for our specific needs, whatever they were. The restaurant manager, reception manager, and general manager all managed to introduce themselves to us during our stay and welcome us to the resort and offer any tips they could offer. We felt like VIP guests but it was clear that everyone there also felt that way. That is a true skill.

These details make a huge difference when you're in the USD 500-1000/night rooms at the top global resorts. I would highly recommend Four Seasons Sayan over the St Regis if you are considering resorts in Bali. We probably wouldn't bother staying at the St Regis Bali again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingBigBob
Dear Travellingbigbob,

Sunny greetings from The St. Regis Bali Resort.

Thank you for your very detailed feedback regarding to your recent experience at the resort.

Although there were some positive sides during your stay that I will celebrate it with my team, I do apologize that we failed to meet with your expectations on the issues you’ve mentioned, such as inconsistent service, disappointed check-in experience, room upgrade issue also poor honeymoon amenities.

It concerns me greatly that you have departed our shores with such a negative impression and we do understand fulfilling our guest expectations is our utmost priority.

Please rest assured that the department heads with our Director of Training have been tasked with reviewing your remarks and conduct immediate retraining with the team members to ensure our standards are being met and all our guests experience is flawless.

I sincerely hope you will extend us with another opportunity as it would be my pleasure to personally welcome you back and ensure you will experience the true St Regis standards on your next visit.

Executive Assistant Management
Saint Helena, CA.
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Wow what a Hotel ,it is hard to put into words how amazing the Hotel is . As others have said on previous reports .Airport arrival was as smooth as you can get .It was so nice to be escorted through Customs . Check in was seamless . Our Villa exceeded our expectations .We were in Strand 22 .It was so nice to be able to walk through the beautiful garden ,open a gate and there is the beach .There was 2 loungers reserved for us for our whole stay .The beach is so clean and you can walk forever . The grounds are amazing, there is so much to see .I must of taken 100 photos .There is a lovely temple near the yoga beach area . The priest comes every morning to do offerings .
We loved our breakfast ,what a spread .There is something for everyone.
Had lunch everyday on the beach great service and food. King Cole bar is fun and a great place to watch the fire show. I wish we had gone to Kayuputi earlier but went on our last night .The food is up there with any of the top restaurants in NYC. Outstanding wine list and a great sommelier Harald who knows his stuff. We did room service most evenings as our Villa was so comfortable .Food was hot and tasty and delivery was fast. Our Butler Sugi always ordered for us .Talking about Sugi ,he was so good , nothing was to much trouble .I wish we could have taken him home with us .For the first time ever we let someone pack for us .OMG he did an incredible job. He was always available to help us with anything we wanted and he made our stay so seamless .
All the staff are happy and smiling .They make you feel so welcome .We loved the Spa and workout .My wife did Yoga on the beach most days and loved it .
The reason for the trip was for my 60th .They made my day so fantastic .At night we had balloons with led lights in them all through the garden .They arranged a chef to cook for me on a outside grill .I had lobster yum, we had a great server . We ate in the garden under candle light, with beautiful flowers on the table .After dinner we put messages on each of the balloons and released them on the beach .This was a night I will never forget for the rest of my life. .They did such a great job and went over and beyond.
This was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and would like to thank Lucia Liu the hotel manager for everything she and her staff did to make our stay so incredible .I wish we could of stayed longer and yes there was tears in our eyes when we left .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank perryb6
TheStRegisBali, Executive Assistant Manager at The St. Regis Bali Resort, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Perryb6,

Sunny greetings from The St. Regis Bali Resort.

First of all, on behalf of our Hotel Manager, Ms. Liu allow me to express my appreciation for your detailed review of our resort.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and found our resort to be one of the best of the best!

At the same time, thank you as I am going to share your fantastic review with all of our dedicated team especially to our Chief Sommelier, Harald also our Butler, Sugi for which they will feel very appreciated.

We are definitely looking forward to welcome you back in the not too distance future for another best experience!

cambridge
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Not a bad word to say about this place loved every minute of our stay tho would say the butler can get a bit annoying as we are just not used to the service he wanted to provide i was getting to the point of we ok thanks just leave us alone we will contact you if need anything lol but breakfast was out of this world pretty much everything you could ever want from a range of items on menu plus an extensive buffet breads cheeses fruits and well u name it lol i would be back tomoro if could as never wanted to leave when our 7 nights were over

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Smokin744,

Sunny greetings from The St. Regis Bali Resort and thank you for your wonderful feedback.

I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your recent St. Regis experience and that you also loved your breakfast experience.

Furthermore, thank you for sharing our Butler service to my attention and certainly I will use your constructive feedback for our internal review.

Certainly, we look forward to welcome you back very soon for another relaxing stay.