“SHOULD BE AWESOME....BUT.......”

Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Pingelly
“SHOULD BE AWESOME....BUT.......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

We have just returned from 9 days at the hotel and I notice from other reviews that the hotel does seem to respond to most of the reviews. I hope they respond to mine but without the same boring platitudes about looking into varying complaints.
This is undoubtedly a beautiful facility. The pools are all beautiful, rooms are comfortable and modern, the grounds are manicured within an inch of their lives, and there are many and varied eating choices.
The problem is (as everyone else is aware of) the price of everything once you are in the hotel. Most people don't object to paying slightly more for food & drinks & massages etc in the hotel but this place is ridiculous.
We decided to eat at the buffet in the main restaurant one evening - we left it till later (8.30) to -usedeat hoping for some atmosphere......but there were 2 other couples in the restaurant.....I commented to the waiter that there was no-one here...he tried to tell me that it will get busy later??? It didn't - my argument with hotel management is that wouldn't it be better to have a full restaurant and charge less - this buffet was close to $50AU per person and ordinary at best. Most evenings we would go to the restaurants in the hotel to have a look and in the 9 days we were there they never had more than a couple or people in them.
The same can be said for the Spa......massively overpriced and un-used.....I'm feel desperately sad for the beautiful staff who stand around and try and look busy.
I know the mentality of these so-called "luxury" hotels - they generally have no conscience in regard to price and service, but any company with a view to make money will tell you that a full hotel - being rooms, restaurants, spa's is a happy hotel........this place was just plain empty - and devoid of atmosphere, the staff however are magnificent.
We would see so many of the guests eating & massaging up at the Bali Collection - a venue with multiple restaurants, shops and spa's, at least half the price and with a generally more sober atmosphere (compared to say Kuta) but all in all very pleasant - very never had a bad meal or massage.
I know that the hotel will respond with positive comments and say they will endeavour to look at some of the less positive points I have made - but I know that nothing will change and that is a real shame because people like us would happily never leave the hotel if the prices for food & services were reasonable - but like us, most people seek a holiday which is good value - sadly the Laguna does not provide that.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beambine6308
thelagunabali, Hotel Management at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 March 2011

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I appreciate your constructive feedback regarding our food, beverage and spa pricing. Kindly be advised that we have a regular competitive analysis to ensure we are in line with similar hotels however based on your feedback, we will review our pricing and ensure they value for money.

On behalf of The Laguna family, we look forward to welcoming you back to our warmth and indigenous hospitality in the future.

Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2011

We were in Asia on business and decided to end with a few days in Bali. In order to keep budgets on track, we used our Starwood Points to book this hotel.

Ended up with a junior suite, which is what was available. I'd definitely recommend--the extra space was very nice.

Overall, the hotel was pretty great. Lush and tropical grounds. Great service. Lovely beach. The spa--can't even rave enough about it. Even my husband had a treatment. They were so cheap and so wonderful.

Unfortunately, the Indian ocean is dirtier than you think, but the pools were great. So many types of locations so you can lose yourself in serenity. I was very resentful of the work I had to do on-site.

I do wish the in-room internet had been free. At the regular prices, it really should have been. Having to work in the open air lobby at night resulted in a lot of mosquito bites.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dagnytaggart

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to learn that you had a most enriching and distinctive experience while staying at The Laguna and that our team looked after you very well.

On behalf of The Laguna family, we look forward to welcoming you back to our warmth and indigenous hospitality in the near future.

Perth, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2011

I have worked in the travel industry for the last 15 years and I am VERY fussy with my hotels when I travel.
My husband and I wanted a quick trip away, staying 2 nights at the Kartika in Kuta and then the last 2 nights at the Laguna.
The price difference between the two was minimal, but everything else was worlds apart. From the moment you step out of your taxi, you are warmly welcomed and attended to.
The rooms were beautiful - the food was brilliant - the endless lagoons and pools were amazing - the beach was very nice and relaxing (although tide goes right out late afternoon and there is little water).

The prices for food etc was ok...Yes, expensive compared to local places in Kuta - but to be able to stay in this paradise and get what you want to eat was so worth it. You pay around $10 for a pizza or club sandwich.

I had a pool access room... it was lovely. Although its probably not needed. the amount of lagoons to swim in is endless. It never feels crowded and there are plenty of pool chairs !

They had a deal on the Wotif website... It was around half price. I paid $USD276.00 per night for a lagoon access room.

If you can get a good deal, or if you can afford it - this hotel is so worth it !

My only complaint would be the WiFi access. It is free in the lobby, but not the rooms. I think for what you pay, it should be available in the rooms.
Although its a good reason not to touch your laptop or phone and enjoy the resort !

We will be back again for sure, and will bring our 3 year old. I was told they are starting up a kids club soon, so that will be very handy.
The amount of kids pools and man made beaches will make for a great family holiday.

Cant wait to go back !!

1 Thank Katsy_in_Perth
thelagunabali, Hotel Management at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 March 2011

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

On behalf of The Laguna family, we look forward to welcoming you and family back to our warmth and indigenous hospitality in the near future.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2011

The hotel is for sure one of the best hotels in Nusa Dua. For people who have not yet visited Bali or have not been to Nusa Dua: Nusa Dua is as often mentioned on this website a gated community checkpoints before entering. This means that only approved people can access the area and before going to any hotel (like The Laguna) you need to pass another security checkpoint to enter the hotel's premises. These checkpoints also filter out the vibrant Balinese life but at the same time guarantee a pleasant and calm stay in Nusa Dua.
My partner and I have been traveling for a long time in Australia, New Zealand, Asia before finally reaching Bali. Even on Bali we have been backpacking first before we indulged ourselves at The Laguna. The rooms were superb, the breakfast delicious and enough to last until the complementary afternoon tea where sweets and drinks were served in one of the restaurants. We have had enough Asian & Balinese experience before we came to The Laguna, so we have loved it. There is not one bad thing I can say about this hotel or the service. However if you want the "true Balienese experience" (which can mean to have no water in the bathroom for example) then you need to get out of Nusa Dua and travel the island. Our experience tells us that people in Bali are honest and welcoming. You just have to be aware of the fact that 5 star service is not available in every corner of the island.

One more thing: If you haven't been to Bali before and you go there to be on the beach I would suggest to look for another destination. The beaches in general are not "special" in Bali. They are nice but there are far nicer beaches in that part of the world. The Laguna hast its private guarded beach which is nice but not a breathtaking vista.

The 9 nights we have spent at The Laguna ensured that at the end of our vacation we were more relaxed than ever before.

3 Thank Andy3180

singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2011

After both a marvellous stay at Westin Bali and St Regis , we checked into LAguna. What a great disapointment it turn out to be especially after all the great reviews on TA.

We checked in around 4pm and the rooms were not ready. Upon entering the rooms,it has a musty odour ann the pillows on the sofas too . The tiles in the shower were moldy .One set of the keys was defective , so had to walk all the way back to reception to get it reset.
SPG plat members are not given complimentary breakfast here and there is no club lounge unlike the newly refurbished Westin next door

They do not have tea or coffee making facilities in the room .They have butler service and when i requested for latte, i was told i had to pay for it.

We had dinner and breakfast and found the food to be average and the service lacking during breakfast. There was only 2 selection of fresh juices and the waffles, pancakes were limp and awful n not freshly prepared on order.

We decide to have dinner at Ikan restaurant next door where we were treated like distinguished guests

The night before check out, a bill was sent to the room but it did not compute fully the amount for the entire stay. Upon checking out, we were once again made to wait as "the system was slow". After standing at the counter for 20 minute, the matter was still not resolve, we left. It was a muted departure. We would not be back even if we are given complimentary stay.

We headed unknowingly to yet another highlight of our Bali hotel stay at the newly opened W hotel in Seminyak.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank M_Teo
thelagunabali, Hotel Management at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 March 2011

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the room condition and less than perfect dining and departure experience. Your feedback is very much appreciated in order for us to review our service and facilities. You have allowed us the opportunity to look into the areas where we have not delivered the standards we try so hard to maintain.

Coffee making facilities are available on request and we apologize that this was not clearly communicated to you during your stay.

Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

Staff are an asset to The Laguna, friendly, polite, wonderful service! Immediately welcomed, seated, given a cool drink, cold towel and promptly attended to.

Lagoon Access Room - very comfortable, butler service, room service, pool at your door....zero to complain about. Very quiet insulated rooms, you could easily think there was no one else in the hotel.

Tranquil pools, easy access bars and three restaurants dotted the tropical grounds. Definitely recommend the Mayang Sari Restaurant; divine food and very good staff!

Regarding prices - to be fair, the prices, although high compared to say Kuta, are no more expensive than Australian resorts. Two hours of 'Happy Hour' each day stretches your dollars further if you're watching the budget.

Tested the bars of a number of neighbouring resorts and realised The Laguna grounds have a lot of trees and plants, lending itself to privacy. Others are more open, a lot of concrete.

Loved our stay here!! Would recommend it to others seeking to really unwind and relax.

2 Thank truebro70
thelagunabali, Hotel Management at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 22 February 2011

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

Overall, it's a good hotel. My family n I checked into laguna on our day 3 of our 5 days Bali trip. (stay in Grand Hyatt for 2 days). In this review, I will do a comparison bet the 2 hotels so as to help anyone who has shortlisted this 2 hotels
In Laguna, We have a ambassador to check us in. We were seated n serve cool drinks n towels while check in was arranged for us. Similar experience too in Grand Hyatt except that we actually book the club rooms. ( not sure abt the normal Grand rooms)
I have to get a rollaway for my son as there is no daybed. As a result, room very squeezed. Grand Hyatt rooms are a lot bigger n I save on extra bed cost. On hindsight, I should have stayed put in Grand Hyatt.
Both hotels is very close to Bali Connection. A shopping centre nothing compared to Singapore but
is good to get some drinks n tidbit. Some good eateries there, not
cheap but cheaper than eating
inside the hotels' restaurants.
One thing worthy of mention is the afternoon tea at 3-4pm by Laguna. They should scrap it. Just drinks n a few small pieces of cakes.-according to my brother. Do not bother to ret back if u r outside
sightseeing... I tried rushing back after shopping at 4.05 pm, just to check it out but was given a sorry,
pls come back tomorrow. Lack content n sincerity.
Grand Hyatt is definitely a hotel for kids. Both swimming pools are very
nice but GH throws in the slides.
Laguna create pool like beach... My
son complain it is bad cos the sands
has big ants cos surrounding the
artificial lagoon is bush n trees.!!!
So he did not like to build his sand
play at the laguna preferring the
Beach.
My advise is that if you have children. Grand Hyatt is the best choice. If u r seeking quiet n romance do the laguna. Hope this review help.

• Stayed February 2011
6 Thank hhhofam
thelagunabali, Hotel Management at The Laguna, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 February 2011

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the afternoon tea experience and the sandy pool condition. Your feedback is very much appreciated in order for us to review our service and facilities. You have allowed us the opportunity to look into the areas where we have not delivered the standards we try so hard to maintain.