“Garden Villa was out of this world.”
Review of Melia Bali

Melia Bali
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We had booked into villa number 2 which had its own private path right down to the beach. This is the mose beautiful place I have ever stayed, the staff could not do more for you and know you buy name. The surroundings are spotless and you are made to feel so welcome in every part of the hotel. If you are looking for the perfect couples retreat or an amazing honeymoon destination then you can't go wrong with splashing out on a villa. You can have breakfast served to you at your own outdoor dining area which over looks your pool! Its exceptional, would definatley return. Thank you to everyone at Melia Bali that made our stay so memirable.

Room Tip: Villa No.2 is the only one with a direct private path to the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
meliabali, Manager at Melia Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2011

Dear claire t,

Greetings from Meliã Bali!

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Meliã Bali and taking the time to review your stay on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to learn that you had enjoyed your trip in our resort to making your experience at Meliã Bali a pleasant and memorable stay. Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Regards,

Reviewed 29 August 2011

We arrived at the Melia Bali after a very enjoyable stay at Pan Pacific Nirwana Tannah Lot also 5 star.As we are from New Zealand we are used to nice beaches so we chose this from the pictures and the reviews of the hotel. What a let down for my husbands 60th birthday. The room apparently had been refurbished. As I entered the room it smelt badly of a damp basement smell,air conditioning not working and the as the toilet was leaking.I thought the smell was from the toilet but it continued for the rest of our holiday .Melia has a policy of responding in 15 minutes to complaints which they did honour the toilet was fixed and a the air conditioning cleaned and a dehumidifier brought to the room,(which leaked all over our floor) as my husband was not well he had to be inconvenienced while all this went on.The shower is over the bath is with a rubber hose shower head.Forget the beach the water at high tide comes up to your knees. The pool was average but the gardens are beautiful and the departure lounge was also very good.As it was my husbands birthday on the day we left, which Melia Bali knew as this was corrosponded in emails we asked for a late check out as we had to be at the airport by 8pm that night. We were told no as the hotel was going to be full but in the next breath were told if we wanted to stay on in our room we would have to pay $US15 per hour, how does that work? The meals are double the price to what you can buy at the Bali Collection Mall. and they cant make expresso coffee .To sum up if you are a family and want to sit around a pool all the time this place might suit you but definitely not 5 star. Extremely disappointed. Barbara New Zealand.

1  Thank BarbaraNZ
meliabali, Manager at Melia Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2011

Dear BarbaraNZ,

Thank you for choosing Melia Bali and taking the time to share your experience on the tripadvisor.com. Regret to know that you don't completely satisfy with your recent stay with us, also please accept our sincere apology that we have not got any chance to meet with you in person.

Once again, please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience. However, should you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact one of our executive members by sending e-mail to executive.office@meliabali.com.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

After checking hotels online and reading reviews, my friend and I decided to stay at the Meliá Bali.
The hotel grounds are beautiful and well kept, the location is also very good, but there are a few cons about this hotel.
There is a huge problem in the rooms due to the humidity, it is that bad that I requested a dehumidifier and every 4 to 6 hours we had to empty the tank.
I requested a change of room, and have been told, all rooms are the same and if I wanted a better room I had to pay 125USD...no comments.
We have finally requested a room change and the room 2308 was a bit better than the 1321 however still humid and dump, and we had to use the dehumidifier as well.
Both rooms we stayed were deluxe by the way.
I think this is pretty bad for a 5 star hotel and that is the reason why I will opt not to go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Pablost

Warmest greetings from Melia Bali Indonesia!

In regards to the room humidity, it is different in each area and also affected by the general humidity outside. In some month, the humidity might reach 85% to 90%.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

I booked our accommodation direct with Melia Bali in December 2010. After reading many reviews about the hotel I was apprehensive about staying at Melia Bali but decided to make my own opinion.

We stayed in a Villa in Seminyak for 7 days and then came to Melia for the last 5 days of our trip. Unfortunately it wasn't good from the beginning. When we checked in we were greeted by a very unfriendly lady at reception.

We were then shown to our room (Deluxe Garden room) which looked old and tired. We started to unpack and realised the fridge was not working. We called the front desk and 40 minutes later were still waiting for someone to come to our room........When my fiancée went down to reception to let them know that we had actually fixed the fridge (it wasn't plugged in) the man at reception said he would let the Manager know that we were waiting 40 minutes!

We still didn't want this to spoil our stay so we took a walk to the pool area and decided to have something to eat. A very simple meal cost over $50 Australian.

We have stayed in Bali 4 times and have always stayed in Legian. This was going to be a special treat for us and thought Melia Bali in Nusa Dua was it. We are very disappointed and do not believe this hotel is 5 star.

There are many more hotels in Nusa Dua that I believe are value for money. Melia Bali is not one of them.

3  Thank Tycoprob
meliabali, Manager at Melia Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2011

Dear Tycoprob,

Reviewed 25 August 2011

First let me say that this was my third trip to Nusa Dua in Bali and my second to the Melia Bali. I stayed at the Melia Bali 12 years ago, the Nusa Dua Hotel 2 years ago and we decided to go back to the Melia because the Nusa Dua Hotel had no family rooms left.
The Melia Bali had undergone a bit of a restoration in the last 10 years and in the last two years have upgraded some of the minor elements such as the sun loungers etc.
We were 4 (Myself, my wife, my 11 and 7 year old daughters)

We had a wonderful experience again !!

The Gardens are some of the best in Bali and really pretty, We were staying in a Family room in Block 4 which is the furthest from the Reception and Breakfast restaurant but that is no big deal since it is only a 5 minute walk....note to staff though....please fix the lifts as they always seemed to be out of order ! The room itself was on the top floor of this block and was a duplex room. Upstairs we had a Queen sized four poster and a family bathroom, downstairs we had twin beds for my children and a TV in both rooms.
Everything was made of wood and we found it very clean and the airconditioning was excellent. Shower was OK.....sometimes suffering from a lack of power at certain times but would always rectify itself within a few minutes.
Breakfast buffet was plentiful and we had a wealth of options to eat. Since there are many Japanese tourists and so we even got to try the kind of noodle dishes that are eaten for breakfast in Japan. Nice Pankake station and the ladies cooking the omelettes were great.
The swimming pool was massive and extremely nice and very easy to find a spot at. You get a towel each on a card system. Although we are early risers, I was pretty much the first person at the pool at 7am (I love the mornings in the tropics), you could still grab a lounger under a shade at lunchtime without too much issue. I used to watch them cleaning the pool early in the morning and they really did keep it pristene (I'll upload some photos). The Tai Chi and Water Aerobics was popular in the morning but I preferred a book...the Tai Chi music was quite nice though.
Beach is nice......can be a little crowded but when the tide is in it is beautiful, clear and very very warm.....it goes out a long way which means it is great for the kids to go crab hunting.
On the subject of food, the Bali collection is a 10 min walk......it is an open air mall with some nice places to eat.....Prada Bali and Prada Priority have great seafood...if you want Good Lobster, Snapper, Prawns and Squid for a 10th of the price of what it is in London, eat here...you pick the seafood from an Ice chest and they BBQ it there and then. You don't get the beach view but it is so very cheap. Example is 4 Nasi Gorengs (Indonesian rice main course), 4 cokes and 2 ice creams cost me £16 !
As mentioned earlier however, by compatrison to Bali collection, the hotel is expensive to eat in as are all the others along the boarwalk path (the melia is probably the cheapest) but the Hotel try to create specials in each restaurant on a round robin basis (we went to the eat all you can sushi night and this was pretty good value but we are from London and used to more expensive food bills). So the Moral of the story is to alternate between hotel and Bali collection
That said, if you go to the Laguna next door or to the Westin which is next door to that it is even more expensive but you get a sea view from your table. My biggest complaint is that Wine is extortionate everywhere...I don't get this since Aussie wine which I can buy here for £10 is about £40 and we are so much closer....not the hotel's fault, its like that everywhere. We used to buy snacks for lunch from the Supermarket at the Bali collection which mitigates the expensive drink and food bills for lunchtime eating (plus we would blow out on Breakfast and Dinner so wanted a lighter lunch)

My wife and daughter used the Spa and had a great time.....very good value...my one complaint is that they are trying to sell you spa treatments by the pool and at breakfast every day ..... they need to back off a little as it is very irritating especially if you already have treatments booked

I want to single out the Kids club which is probably the best I have ever seen. Activities were varied and my kids looked at what was on and chose what they wanted to do....the staff had no problem with them checking in and out for 1 hour here and 1 hour there just choosing their activities which was great. They were attentive, secure and lovely people working there and all got to know my kids. In fact my oldest daughter loved the Pui Ball activity so much that they gave her a set of Pui balls to take home......fantastic as they didn't have to do that.

The hotel left us a lovely chocolate cake in our room for our 16th anniversary which was lovely (it said silver wedding anniversary on it but you cannot fault the effort :o) )

So all in all a great stay...I checked out the Nusa Dua hotel again up the beach but that is getting a little worn and needs a paint job or two...stll nice though but the Melia is certainly better at the moment.

Finally, I have two recommendations :
1) For an occasion, Eat at the Raja Restaurant in the Nusa Dua hotel......its rated the the best in Bali and has an open air section overlooking their pool. It is Balinese Fine dining and the Spiced Balinese Duck for two is to die for. It is not too expensive and the service is impeccable. I've eaten here 4 times in the last two years and never had a bad meal there.
2) Take a 10 minute walk to the right along the beach and onto the second peninsular to the Water Blowhole at high tide which you can get a spectacular soaking at !!!

Overall a fabulous holiday made better by the fabulous weather there always in July/August, the wonderful friendly people and the lovely Singapore Airlines A380 !

Room Tip: Duplex Family room good for 2 ad, 2ch....get a Lagoon Access suite for a couple as you get private p...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank George S

Dear George S and family,

Warmest greetings from Meliã Bali!

Thank you for coming back again for the second time to the Meliã Bali and taking the time to review your stay on TripAdvisor.

Reading all of your reviews, we think that you have found and enjoyed all the hotel services and facilities, as well as our "recipes" on enjoying the food and beverage in the hotel.

We are happy to learn that you had enjoyed your honeymoon in our resort to making your experience at Meliã Bali a pleasant and memorable stay.

We really look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stayed at the Melia Bali for 12 amazing days. I'm a platinum member of melia. We were amazed by the hotel but we weren't so thrilled about the treatment towards us as platinum members. We didnt get any attention at first or special treatment, so i complainte to the woman in charge of melia group. She was terribly sorry and t'ils us she was going to do everything possible to make our stay spécial. So we got a call from the front desk to tell us our villa was ready!!
The woman (Carmen) had given us the presidential villa!!
We had an amazing time there and melia made our trip to Bali unforgettable...

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Livingthedreamco

Dear Livingthedreamco,

Warmest greetings from Meliã Bali!

Thank you for choosing Meliã Bali and taking the time to review your stay on TripAdvisor.

It is one of the aims of all the entire staff and management of Melia Bali to ensure that all of our guests are and well taken care of.

We really look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

We've stayed in Nusa Dua before ans this is one of many hotels in this secure enclave.
The entrance is magnificant and you need to find time to explore its surroundings.Staff are very friendly and genuinely welcoming.Your arrival is hailed by a bang on the gong in the foyer.Recetion staff were friendly and helpful.The room was a good standard and had the most comfortable bed with flo pillows you wanted to take back home.The room was well catered for and bottled water and coffee etc was replenished daily at no extra cost.A room safe was provided for valuables and was roomy enough for a handbag or two.Our room was in a non- smoking block.Like most hotels these days you were given an option to change linen daily if you so desired or not if you chose to be "green".Towels were changed daily.The breakfast provided was of a high standard and gave a great choice of menu.But if you didnt plan your timing well (before 8.45am) you had to join the mass of families and others jostling for tables.on some mornings a lay-in was preferred to the "mad rush" followed by brunch!
Situated in the midst of hotels ours was a commfortable 10 minute stroll to the Bali Collection a collection of shops and reteraunts open early til late at night.Everything was available including spas and massages!
The facilities in the resort were excellent including the pool.Although it was dominated by youngsters.The beach was a little disappointing especially when the tide went out.
The boardwalk,which stretched for miles provided useful exercise.
Watch out for the cost of drinks at the hotel bar.I was shocked to pay nearly 10 Aus Dollars for a bottle of Bingtang! We thoroughly recommend the Melia.A classy place to make you feel special on holiday.

2  Thank jhjass
meliabali, Manager at Melia Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Dear jhjass,

Warmest greetings from Meliã Bali!

We are happy to learn that you had enjoyed your holiday in our resort to making your experience at Meliã Bali a pleasant and memorable stay.

One thing that is important for the hotel is the "sustainability awareness", that is why we encourage our guests to participate on our "Going Green" campaign by not changing the linen and towels daily. We have awarded the platinum certification by the Earth Check company for our consistency maintaining the program and our commitment to keep the environment "green". We really thank you for your participation on this program.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Regards,