“Great hotel”

Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

It was a great hotel, my family and I really appreciate their hospitality from concierge, front desk especially to house keeping and restaurants wait staff. Special thanks to the night duty manager Inge for sorting out my wifi issues! We had a good 6 days stay. Will definitely come back. Thank you very much!

• Stayed August 2014
TheWestinBali, Managing Director at The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear E L, Thank you for taking the time to let us know your valuable experience. It is a pleasure to know that you were pleased with the attentiveness and friendliness of our associates and I will share your kind words to Inge personally. We look forward to welcoming you and the family return to our resort soon.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Langwarrin, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had the most wonderful time but after returning home, realised we had been charged twiceby the hotel .Three months later we are still chasing refund. No return phone calls or emails. So much for being a "Starwood preferred guest". Really tainted our holiday.....

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Barb06072016
TheWestinBali, Hotel Management at The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear Barbs0607. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Please accept our most sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced, I have addressed your comments with the Accounting Team to ensure that our usual high standards of service are maintained to following up this matter. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was stayed here for 4 nights with my big family on July 2014. It was a great experience. The hotel has private beach and near Bali Collection (the place for shopping, fashion, handicraft, cafe, restaurant). When you check in to the hotel, your kids will get 1 bag which include 1 drink bottle, 1 notes & 1 set of coloring pencils inside.

The lobby is spacious and lots of sofa. Also there's a small kids corner in the lobby, so your kids can playing / coloring while waiting for check in process or while you just want to relax / reading / play your gadget in lobby. I tell you that the hotel is very good and suitable for families with little children. The staffs very polite & friendly. The service is very good.

The room is big enough with comfortable sofa. The bed & pillows are very comfort. The room is clean and fragrant. The bathroom is clean. Also you can see the beach outside the window while relaxing in bathtub.

The breakfast was very varied and great taste. And sometimes they have simple sushi at breakfast. Also they have kids corner in the restaurant. They prepared juice, milk, fruits and cereals in it, so your children can play and watch movie while breakfast. But you can bring foods from the buffet too for your children. They have ice cream, yogurt, fresh juice, milk shake, pancake, waffle, etc. My mother said that the noodle is good but I never try it because I prefer the buffet & ice cream. Actually the danish & pancake is good also. Always stuffed after breakfast :) There is a room with air conditioner also if you don't like Bali's hot weather while breakfast.

The tea time buffet is good too. You can choose various types of tea and coffee. The cakes and cookies is good. Very suitable if you want to relax in the afternoon alone or with family, accompanied with a cup of tea / coffee and cakes on a comfortable sofa while seeing the pool or just reading a book. The lounge for tea time is behind the lobby and facing to the pool area.

The pool is large. Too bad I didn't get to see the kids club, but my wife said that the kids club is very nice. They have many toys inside and they have outdoor activity too. My daughter and my nephews were very excited and loved it. Actually they have a schedule in the kids club like cooking class and other activity for your children.

One suggestion from me if you want to stay in this hotel, make sure you spare 1-2 whole days to enjoy the hotel facilities. If you using this hotel for sleep only and spent all day outside, you'll regret.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank adivi23
TheWestinBali, Hotel Management at The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Adivi23. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are very pleased to hear that you and the family had such a great time enjoying the variety of our service and facilities as this is the best reward for all of us. We look forward to welcoming you back again for another memorable experience with us.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from the Westin in Nusa Dua. The beach is the strongest aspect of the hotel, with comfy chairs and beds, white sand, and the a Crystal clear sea a few meters away. However, although I know the beach 'boys' are trying to earn a living, no I don't want a jet ski, or a glass bottom boat, and no I still don't want one when they ask again 5 minutes later. They are very friendly to be fair. The beach bar and food service is excellent and the menu has choice. We didn't sit by the pool but the pool looks clean and loungers look comfy. We had a deluxe room with a pool view. The view was somewhat blocked by a large tree that had grown in the grounds surrounding the pool area. The bathroom was a good size, with a 'wet room' containing a shower and a bath, and then the sink, toilet and dressing table located in the first half. Beds are extremely comfy in the room, and living space was sufficient. The room was cleaned well each day, but the walls and furniture could do with a lick of paint and in some areas replacing. The corridors of the hotel could also do with some paint and the communal floor areas could be cleaner. Reception staff are very helpful, along with the concierge, bell boys and door staff. You are greeted with polite, traditional Balinese girls, dancing and welcoming you with a flower. The restaurants around the
pool have good choice of menus and the food is tasty. Breakfast was disgusting to say the least, being served coffee in black MUGS and the buffet area was like a zoo, so we opted
for the al a carte option, which didn't meet our expectations. The japanese restaurant was average, but we only tried the sushi from there, as we are out of the hotel every night. The location is exceptional, surrounded by hotels and a long cycle path which runs along the beach, between the hotels and their private areas of the beach. Nusa dua is a popular, bustling area with excellent restaurants (in the hotels) and I would definitely return to stay in this area. I would return back to the westin hotel if I know that a refurbishment has taken place in the noted areas.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Alex H, Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your recent stay with us. It is a pleasure to hear that you and your loved one had such a relaxing stay and enjoyed the resort facilities and surroundings especially the comfort of the Westin Heavenly Bed®. We value your feedback regarding our buffet breakfast and Hamabe restaurant and will endeavor to deliver the highest quality of our food and beverages. We are always looking to serve our guests better and continuing to renew our service so we do hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to serve you better in the near future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

The room we got was located in an area of the hotel in which apparently all rooms are renovated. We've heard that noon renovated rooms are not that nice anymore, wasn't the case of our room. Very nice design, everything in Harvest shape, a nice small balcony (no spectacular views, though, that would come with extra price tag, I guess). The bathroom was very big and beautifully designed, with separated bathtub and shower. Maybe the bathroom eats too much space of the total room size if you add a baby cot, but still it was OK to us.

This is a very big hotel, not high rise, but has many wings and rooms. We stayed during the festivities of the end of the Ramadan month which was at the same time of European peak holiday season. Hence the hotel was fully booked as they were most if not all the hotels in the area. That maybe made the stance a little bit more hectic and noisy than I assume it would be in other dates. A problem that I reckon we would face in these dates in any other hotel.
Other than that, the staff managed the situation quite smoothly and they were very efficient most of the time. They even opened another breakfast area which was less crowded than the main one to cope with the additional demand, really appreciated that.

The pools were big and rather crowded, but they had another pool area near the Italian restaurant which was not that crowded and also had kids pool with shade.

The beach just in front of the hotel was great for kids to play with low tide, it doesn't get much better in any other hotel in the area.

The restaurant Ikan totally not recommended, expensive with ridiculously small portions and quality quite low. I ordered a chicken Balinese style which had mostly bones and tendons rather than actual chicken meat, sauce was nice even though they said it was not spicy and it actually was rather hot. In the other hand the Italian restaurant was good.

There's a nice promenade that connects all front beach hotels in the area. We tried Laguna and Melia's food which are better and more worth the money than Ikan at Westin.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bejar-Horii
Dear Bejar-Horii. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are pleased to note that you and the family had a great time with us. We are surprised to hear of feedback on Ikan restaurant as generally we always get great comments, we will definitely look into it analyze what went wrong. Our food & beverage pricing guidelines are established after a careful review of the external pricing and other 5 star resorts on the Island. We also ensure that we review the same frequently and will certainly keep your feedback in mind during the next review. We do hope to welcoming you back in the future.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We are regular traveller to Bali and tried many hotels in Bali already
This time We stayed here for 3 nights
From the moment we checked in everything was excellent
Both of my kids were given their kids pack and they were happy about it
Breakfast staff were friendly and efficient
We used the main pool and the water temperature was perfect
The beach is clean and quiet
All staff I met,from security to housekeeping are very polite and accomodating
If I could make a suggestion,please provide in room wifi for free
Well done for the GM and all staff at Westin,I will be back.......

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrea Aprillan... W
Dear Ndr3. Thank you for your kind words of appreciation for our associates and service delivery. We are really happy to note that you and the family had a great experience from arrival to departure, and to hear that your children were happy with the kids amenities. We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family return to our resort soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Having read so many great reviews about this property I felt it important to provide some balance to readers as our experience was certainly not up to expectation. We were a family of 4 and stayed 4 nights in early August.

I will also say that i took the time to speak with the hotel manager to provide my feedback and he was very accommodating and understood our concerns, although I am not sure what he could do about many of the issues. Lastly I will say that this stay followed a 9 night stay at a smaller resort in Tuban where everything was exemplary and at half the price so of course our view is somewhat colored by that.

First the good:

1. The resort is extremely impressive on arrival, enormous foyer, beautful gardens, impressive entrance etc.
2. Its location right on the beach is wonderful and very picturesque
3. Great kids club facilities that actually focus on activities rather than just letting kids play Xbox and Playstation for hours on end
4. Check in was reasonably efficient and room was ready on arrival.

For us though, that's about where the good ended.

1.The resort is enormous, which equates to loads of people which equates to noise and madness. Breakfast every morning was mayhem. Lines at every food station, people pushing to get to the front of the queue and despite a dedicated kids buffet area, kids running everywhere and screaming. It was a far cry from the relaxing breakfasts we had earlier in our stay and that we normally experience anywhere else. Poolside was just as crazy and if you werent up at 8am good luck getting a sunlounge in a reasonable spot. If that's your thing then great. For us it was stressful.

2. The rooms have no soundproofing from the foyer at all. So when somebody walks past your room it sounds like they are walking past your bed. It is that loud. So when someone actually speaks, or in many cases as we experienced, inconsiderate people scream at kids down the hall, or others whistle and sing songs at all hours of the night and morning, you can imagine what that means for sleep quality. There was not one morning or night that our sleep was not interrupted. We were staying in 2 interconnecting rooms that basically have no separation from the hallways so I dont know if the suites would be different as I think some have living rooms first before the bedrooms. But suffice to say if you are staying in a regular hotel room (garden, deluxe, premium, ocean etc) - you will hear significant noise.

3.The pools are impressive at first sight but once you get in and realise that you need to be over 6ft tall to stand up in them you realise how silly this is. For a resort that promotes itself as being so kid and family friendly to have just one tiny baby's pond where kids could stand, let alone adults, is ridiculous. The main pool is enormous but because of its depth everyone ends up congregating around the steps and the sides where they can either stand/ hold on. Really dont understand this design.

4. Pretty much every resort in bali today has a swim up pool bar, even the 3 star ones. The Westin pool has one but it is located in the kids pool right where everyone comes flying off the water slide. What obsessed them to put the bar in this position is beyond me. Needless to say while we were there it was hardly ever busy. On top of this, no happy hour at the pool bar or at poolside. However there was happy hour at the beach bar every day. Same drinks, same resort, same staff but you had to physically go and order at the beach bar to get happy hour prices and bring them back to your sunlounge spot. Again no common sense exercised here.

5. Prices were through the roof by bali standards. I understand that this a 5 star resort but $3.50AUD for a small bottle of water when they are sold for 60c in the Circle Ks outside the resort is robberry. $8 for a beer that every other resort charges $2.50 - $4 for is a rort, and dont get me started on cocktails and wine. However the biggest issue for us was the portion sizes in restaurants like IKAN. The food was well presented and tasty but to get a fillet of barramundi the size of 2 thumbs with 3 small roast potatoes for $20AUD is again way too high for Bali. By comparison the portion sizes and prices in Prego, the Hotel's new Italian restaurant were far more reasonable.

6. Housekeeping and general service were below par. We experienced some issues that just shouldn't happen in a 5 star resort. However it was the lack of follow up that was most disappointing. We asked 3 times for clean glasses in our bathrooms as they were not cleaned by housekeeping. Each time apologies and yes sir right away. Nothing. Our airconditioner thermostat was stuck and not working and despite asking twice for this to be checked, nobody followed up to tell us what had been done. It was not until i escalated all of these issues to the manager that anything was actioned. This shouldnt happen in any hotel, let alone at a 5 star resort like this.

As an SPG Gold member I stay in Stawood resorts all around the world. This was by far the worst servie levels we have experienced and certainly the worst noise issues and therefore sleep quality of all the hotels. I did share all of this with the hotel manager (Mr Wayan Artana) who was very apologetic and offered to compensate us accordingly.

While i think some of the issues could be resolved with appropriate staff training and perhaps a rethink of some prices etc, the room soundproofing issue is a bigger concern. And if you cant get a good night's sleep on holidays then its all downhill from there. Needles to say, this will unfortuantely not be on top of our list of Starwood properties to return to.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
14 Thank JK_family_of_4
TheWestinBali, Hotel Management at The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear JJK_family_of_4. Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. Our F&B pricing guidelines are established after a careful review of the external pricing and pricing of other 5 star resorts on the Island. We also ensure that we review the same very frequently. We really appreciate your feedback and we will certainly keep this in mind during the next review. We do hope to welcome you back in the future.