“Just another giant tourist resort, could be anywhere.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Hyatt Bali

Grand Hyatt Bali
Ranked #21 of 53 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Shanghai, China
“Just another giant tourist resort, could be anywhere.”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I spent 10 days in Bali, and I split the time between this hotel and the Bali Hyatt in Sanur. Despite being half as expensive as this hotel, I enjoyed my stay at the Bali Hyatt infinitely more. This hotel is basically in a giant sequestered compound for foreigners who are afraid to interact with locals or anyone who can't afford a 5-star resort. It is difficult to drive anywhere in central or northern Bali from here, as you have to pass through the terrible traffic in Denpasar. There is not much in walking distance from here except for a paved outdoor shopping mall.

The hotel itself is a huge resort that caters to package tour groups. The architecture and landscaping are nice enough, but it feels a little overbuilt. No complaints on room quality, food, or service - this is definitely a hotel that knows how to cater to foreign standards. The Japanese restaurant on-site is actually very good. The beach itself is decent, but definitely not the best Bali has to offer, and there aren't many activities except for the very expensive ones organized through the hotel's package tours. That said, the concierge was extremely helpful when we made it clear what we were looking for, and helped us book some activities through outside providers (we took some surfing lessons, and scuba diving lessons).

Overall, if you come to Bali and stay in a resort like this I think you're missing the whole point. One of the main draws of Bali is its beautiful thriving culture, so I don't see why you would want to sequester yourself from that in an island of tourists.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed in grand Hyatt with my husband . Overall the stay was great . Big and spacious room , cozy environment, good services , friendly attendants . The beach is clean and quiet , not so crowded . I enjoyed a relax and calm afternoon .The hotel also has tight security and make me feel safe . The first security check is in entrance of nusadua , second is entrance of Hyatt , third is the entrance of lobby . The first and 2 nd are mainly check for the vehicle . The last check is for guest and luggage. The only down side is the check in take a little long time . We checked in around 4 pm . They were only 3 front desks assisting check it and they were a few of other guests waited to check in as well . They provide good services , answer most of queries/enquiries . Maybe can speed up for the check in then it will be great . Overall the experience is great . Looking forward to come back next time . Great job for team of grand Hyatt .

• Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I only spend 3 night in Grand Hyatt as we travelled around Bali and it was a perfect spot to relax and get some energy back after our 20 hours flight. Hotel is very green, clean and just by the beach. We were lucky to arrive in low season so it felt very quiet and private. Our room was clean and good size. Food in the hotel is very good, service friendly and helpfull. The only thing you need to remember is that this is a resort in Nusa Dua. If you looking for great family holidays with nice pools and beach this is perfect for you. If you expect an adventure go towards north of Bali. For us it was exactly what we needed at that stage of our trip.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
jakarta
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We booked 2 club rooms because of the room tips from trip advisor, however we got less options food in the club lounge breakfast. The bread are "fresh" from the fridge (not the oven) and you can order any kind of eggs, but the way they cook it, not like a 5 stars hotel. I order omelet for my kid, they cooked it like telor radar (indonesian omelet with over cooked and oily egg). I order sunny side up, it came out black eggs, when i asked them to cook another one, it came raw with lots of uncooked white eggs and totally raw yellow eggs.If you want to go to the other restaurant where they have full buffet, you have to pay for the extra charges, so the club room is not special at all. Well, in my opinion, if you really want a 5 stars resort in bali, you can choose another hotel, not grand hyatt. The building is old, i still had a repairman at 10 pm cause the a/c water dripping so badly in the changing room and when we came in, the room has a very strong cleaner odor not fresh at all. Later on you realized, the strong cleaner to cover the bad odor came from the shower drain. When i asked about it they have to clean it from the outside pipe.
We chose 5 stars hotel to get no troubles when we want to enjoy our holiday with families, but not if you choose this hotel. I have tried many other hotel in bali, if you like this hotel, believe me, you can get much better than this in bali.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank shika_g
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed as a family, our kid is only nearly 2 years old. I didnt have any particular complains, the rooms is okay, the garden is obviously beautiful, walking distance to white sandy beach but be careful with broken shells, algae, and sometimes jelly fish.
Bottom line, this hotel is very good for a family who wants to relax and enjoy the hotel's surrounding but not too many activities at the beach.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Nusa Dua for 11 days on business, so I got to know the resort pretty well.

Location: The location is good if you just want to be by a beach that isn't too crowded and don't care about having to drive at least 30 minutes to get to anything else. I personally don't prefer this on vacation, but for a business/conference setting, it was good. Although the hotel does its best to pick up trash on the beach a few times a day, it's an impossible task, and I always saw a lot of garbage on the beach. Granted, it wasn't a lot compared to the amount of trash in the Kuta area, but it was enough to make you feel kind of gross.

Layout: The layout is extremely confusing. Even on my last days, I was still having trouble finding restaurants and the pools from my room. It's very widely spread out, and lacks clear and easy-to-understand markings. Also, the staff at the hotel don't explain where anything is when you check in. You just have to ask them specific questions to find out where things are. Upon wandering around toward the middle of my stay, I found several nice pools that nobody had told me existed.

Room: I had a very basic room, and it was fine. I didn't like the daybed/alcove thing that all the rooms seem to have by the window. It seems really gross to sit on an unwashed mattress, but as I was by myself, I didn't have to use it. The regular bed was comfortable and had really good pillows.

Bathroom: I complained several times about a water leak in my bathroom that left a pool of water on the floor under the sink each time I showered. It was only fixed on my last day. Aside from the leak, the shower was good, with strong water pressure and good temperature.

Food: They upgraded my group to have club access, so we got free breakfast at the buffet, plus a free happy hour from 5-7pm that included some food. The breakfast was pretty good and included a decently large, rotating selection. The coffee was good, but they were always really slow in bringing it out. The happy hour included one kind of beer, red wine, and white wine, plus snacks, like sate, mini burgers, cheese, crackers, etc. You could fill up on it, but it wouldn't be a balanced meal since it didn't have any vegetables other than a few raw veggie slices with the cheeses, so by the end of the week, I was sick of it.

I tried the gnocchi and seafood stew at Salsa Verde Italian restaruant, and both were very good. I also had a veggie panini at the Garden Cafe and wonton noodle soup from room service, and both were enjoyable. The restaurant food and drinks are pricey, but not unreasonable for this type of hotel.

Amenities: I swam in the main pool (the really long one) at least 5 times. The water temperature is warm, but that's probably just because it's really hot outside. The pool area was never too crowded and was generally kept clean. However, on my last day, there were almost no tourists and the water was extremely clear, making me realize how disgusting it had been the previous days. A giant monitor lizard (about 4 feet long) was spotted in the lagoon pool, so I stayed away from that one.

Service: Everyone I encountered was very nice, but service was lacking in the hotel (except for the restaurants, where service was great). For example, my leaky shower wasn't fixed for 10 days. I was also slightly concerned about security. I'm used to hotels where the cleaning staff enters your room once a day to make it up, but the Hyatt divides this up so that different people do the cleaning, bringing in towels, delivering your two alotted daily bottles of water, adding fruit to your fruit bowl etc. If you're in the room, this is extremely annoying, and I ended up putting my DO NOT DISTURB sign on at all times that I was in the room. If you're not in the room, it's unsettling to have so many people going in and out of your room all day when your belongings are in there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Hampshire
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

The location of this very large hotel is fabulous beautiful gardens and white sandy beach. We arrived for a week stay but left after two days moving to another area in Bali, we didn't feel that this hotel was anything more than 4 stars and that the area of Nusa Dua was in our eyes fake Bali. The hotel restaurants were very disappointing we had a meal in Salsa restaurant which lacked any atmosphere & the staff were untrained. Breakfast was awful buffet style having to wait for 30 minutes for a table. There was no free wifi at the hotel this was an inconvenience for us. Swimming in the sea could only be done in the morning because of the tides and when we swam there were jelly fish bobbing about. We loved our 3 week stay in Bali such a beautiful island full of interest culture and friendly Balanese people once we were away from this hotel our 5 star holiday resumed.

• Stayed September 2013