“Absolutely divine!”
Review of The Bale

The Bale
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My boyfriend and I went up to to stay in The Bale in Nusa Dua for 2 nights as it was his birthday and I wanted to surprise him, we had no idea what to expect. We were completely blown away! We were shown to our room by a very lovely staff member and were delightfully surprised at how elegant and luxurious the room was. We had our own private pool so there was no need to leave the room at all.

At about 5pm we were surprised when there was a knock at the door and 3 beautiful staff members holding a delicious chocolate cake began to sing 'happy birthday'. I hadn't organized this, it was such a kind gesture prepared solely by the hotel staff.

We both fell inlove with the place and seriously didn't want to leave. The food was amazing, the staff were exceptionally great, and it was so relaxing! We were taken to the beach club during the days and spent the nights relaxing in our villa by the pool.

I would highly recommend the Bale to anyone and everyone! Especially any couples looking for a romantic getaway - this is the place to go! Honestly could not say one bad word about our entire stay. Thank you very much to the Bale!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Hello EmDee23 and thank you for a wonderful heading. We will happily accept "Absolutely Divine" as a posting any day of the week and I am glad our team went above and beyond your expectations for you to be able make such a statement. We enjoy what we do, we are very proud of our environment and our product, which I know is on display via our guest experience. The team here very much enjoy seeing people share special occasions with us in style and throw in a few surprises just for good measure. Our environment is perfect for couples celebrating birthdays like you did or any other special occasion due to the size of our villas, the peaceful environment we create and our no children policy given the romantic and tranquil environment we promote. I do hope we can have you return again in the near future given your close proximity to us, perhaps to enjoy our new TAPA bar and restaurant with some live music and friendly atmosphere. If I can assist in making this happen, please feel free to contact me directly luke.harley@thebale.com Kind regards - Luke Harley

There are newer reviews for The Bale

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Bale...The villas are spacious and very well maintained. The resort offers a tremendous amount of privacy and solace. As we were leaving we heard they were going to do some renovations so its surely will be getting better.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Hi Islandtraveller11, thank you for your belated posting from September last year and also for visiting us from the USofA. Unfortunately I was not here at the time you visited to meet with you face to face and since your last stay, the renovations have included not just a product refresh but also the opening of our new TAPA bistro. TAPA is a very spacious open air environment with a fantastic cocktail and wine list, beautiful TAPA style food with very generous portions along with occasional live entertainment. This has been a welcome addition to the property providing not just our in house guests with another dining option, but also for external guests who are looking for somewhere to meet, enjoy a comfortable with relaxed environment and atmosphere. You will have to return so you can enjoy our new addition and if I can assist in making this happen, do not hesitate to contact me directly. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon in December 2012 and were left slightly disappointed. Perhaps it was the time of the year and it was too hot, so we stayed indoors most of the time in our villa, and the aircond was not cold enough due to the searing heat. We loved the pool in our villa which helped us to cool off.

There are two things that can't be faulted about this property: the wonderful staff/service and the food quality, which saved our honeymoon! We loved the food (every meal was fabulous!), but found the concept of having in-room dining ironically tiresome (it was too hot to eat outdoors!) as we had to keep on running out from out bedroom to the main gate of our villa to let the staff in.

This property does not have direct access to the beach, which would have been a plus and would helped us to cool down in the heat. Our honeymoon package came with a spa treatment which I unfortunately had an allergic reaction to (which hasn't happened at any other spa in my life before and I've been to many!), so I didn't enjoy the spa as much as I had hoped to. The cleanliness of our villa wasn't to a 5-star standard though, with lots of dead small insects under the sofa cushions and around corners in and around the bathroom corners.

We also had a one day excursion organised by the hotel, but noted that every tourist spot the guide took us to charged us a fee, if only just to view some rice fields by the side of the road! The restaurants we were taken to were of poor quality, with lots of flies sitting on the food everywhere. We just didn't feel well taken care of at all.

Despite these disadvantages, we couldn't fault the Bale's staff and kitchen - always with a ready warm smile and excellent service, excellent food. They could certainly improve on their readiness during the summer months (the poor reception staff looked like they were suffering in the lobby without airconditioning) and also links with third party providers for excursions in and around Bali.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pippyclearsoup
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Hi 3Rs and thank you for your belated posting from your stay 8+ months ago. All feedback is good feedback and taken very constructively but I am confident if you returned you would see a considerable difference in the guest experience. I had only begun in December last year when you were here and since your visit, every villa has been through a 1 week per villa Preventative Maintenance program which is detailed and very involved. Now we have finished with all villas, we are currently in the process of starting again from the beginning. You are absolutely correct about the weather, humidity and heat when you were here in December. It was searing and that season is the hottest and most humid so while we do all we can to maximise guest comfort, there are times when mother nature just wins. We do provide 3 ac units per villa and we are also currently trialing a different brand of compressor to assist but when it is 40+ degrees and 90%+ humidity, on some days the pool is the best place to be which is conveniently located in the privacy of your villa. I will also guarantee that we will have fans installed in our lobby area by the next wet season for our team as AC will obviously not work in an open environment. I am glad you mentioned our team and our villa product as these are the aspects of the guest experience we can control. Your points are noted about the daily excursions and I absolutely agree we do recommend service providers and they reflect our property, but please be mindful costs associated to enter parks, fields, rice paddies and even parking for restaurants etc are in the control of the local villages to keep employment and fund local families and structure. There is not any driver or tour guide whether ours or provided by an external party that can minimise this, albeit I do acknowledge many do work on commissions when utilising a particular service of the tour. If we can welcome you back to celebrate an anniversary, please feel free to liaise with me directly and I will assist to ensure it is a memorable experience.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

My Husband and I have very hectic business lives and we enjoy visiting The Balé to kick back , relax and enjoy just doing nothing!!
The Balé is the perfect place to unwind! The villas are very private amongst lots of greenery and large fences, the rooms are beautiful and large, the property is quiet..making it the most perfect place to relax!

As I have a huge list of dietary requirements, the chef ensured that my gluten free vegan meals were made to my liking every day! They even baked fresh daily gluten free cookies for us!
The food is a real highlight - as everything is very fresh and healthy! For the health conscious - I highly recommend staying here!

This was our third visit to The Balé and we will most certainly return when we are in need of some R and R! We highly recommend this property to anyone wishing to do Bali in style!

Room Tip: Deluxe Pavilions for the extra space..
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear TennilleLee, thank you for your review and more importantly thank you for visiting us 3 times. We are the perfect environment to kick back, relax and do nothing given our small inventory of rooms and environment so we are also a lot more personalised, interactive and involved with our guest experience. There are enough larger volume hotels around us if people want more activity, atmosphere and people to surround them but if you just want a quiet, relaxed and private environment with professional and discreet service then we are it... as you both know. I look forward to making it a 4th return and anything I can do to make this happen, I am only an email away so feel free to liaise with me directly luke.harley@thebale.com We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards - Luke Harley

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Bale for 7 nights in July - it was our first trip to Bali. From the moment we were met at the airport the service and stay was amazing. On the way to the hotel we were treated to fresh fruit, cookies and cold water and refreshing towels. The staff were waiting for us when our car arrived and we were taken to our villa (a deluxe single pavillion) for check-in. After an efficient process checking in we were given a traditional drink in our room made fresh by our Butler. The food and drinks at Faces were delicious - we enjoyed cocktails every evening. The beach (Geger) was OK but nothing special (a lot of trash washing up and floating) but there was really no need to leave the room with an amazing pool and day bed outside. We had the sucking pig BBQ one night and it was great. Also had a couple of great massages at the spa. Staff were so friendly and eager to please - in particular Kadek and Raz (I hope spelling is right!) took great care of us and always had a smile. We have stayed in quite a few of these beach-side spa-type resorts and this is by far and away the best service we've ever had anywhere in S.E. Asia - the staff speak excellent English and were genuinely happy to help. After a stressful first half of the year this was a revitalising and memorable trip and we would certainly recommend a stay here. Hope to visit again soon.

1  Thank ScrappyMatt
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Hi ScrappyMatt, thank you for your review and visiting us from Perth. First impressions last!! and I am glad your experience began upon arrival at the airport before you even reached our property and this set the tone for the remainder of your stay. We are very proud of what we provide not just from our product, but also what our team does and does well. They create the experience in a very genuine way which they enjoy and this then reflects on what you receive. Our F&B team are wonderful both in the kitchen and on the floor, I am glad you noted the suckling pig or Bubi Guling as it is a Bali specialty and has to be tried at least once. I am glad you enjoyed your first trip to Bali and we were able to provide you both fond memories for a return. if I can assist in making this happen, please liaise with me directly luke.harley@thebale.com

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Friendly staff who never fails to give a smile when they see you. Excellent driver to chauffeur us wherever we want to go - comes on time for our meetup too.

Booked a single pavilion but got a double pavilion instead. Although I was only allowed access to 1 pavilion, the luxury of more space made me happy!

Breakfast was great because you get to enjoy it at the convenience in your villa. We initially wanted to have our breakfast at least once outside of our villa. "Unfortunately", the bed and the villa was too strong a magnet. We just wanted to lay in the bed all day. However, not all food I'd ordered were delicious. Some (such as the omelette & scrambled egg) were rather disappointing. But, do order The Bale Benedict and the Huevos Rancheros; fruit juice weren't excellent either. All in all, decent breakfast though.

Got a complimentary cake for our anniversary which was a nice gesture.

The downside of my villa was that rain seeped in during a night of thunderstorm. Kinda worrying, but luckily, the bed was not affected.

Don't think The Bale would disappoint you for your stay, so do choose this place. I assure you'll not wanna get out of your villa too often! :)

2  Thank Cherry Z
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Hello CherryZ. Thank you for staying with us and also thank you for taking the time to post some "real life" photos of your time with us, it is great seeing our guests post images instead of professional photographers as if often the case. I am glad we were able to provide you with a memorable 3 night stay with us to celebrate your special occasion. Our staff and their friendliness are our greatest asset, so thank you for noting this along with the fact all guests can choose to have their breakfast in our Faces restaurant by the pool, or the luxury of their own villa. I will also ensure that the areas of breakfast we did fall slightly short are investigated, along with the slight flooding you encountered which was very out of season. As you are only in Singapore being a quick 2 hour journey away, I hope we have the chance to welcome you back for another anniversary or any other special occasion. If I can make this happen do not hesitate to make contact with me directly on luke.harley@thebale.com

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The Balé is a great hotel away from the hostel and bustle of the Kuta and Seminyak nightlife. It is a small, resort style hotel where the providing a relaxing vacation for guests is paramount.

Our villa was very spacious with its own garden and private swimming pool. The restaurant ("Faces") provide an excellent choice of both Indonesian and Western cuisine.

Hotel staff know guests by name, engage with you and fire whatever help you might need for tourist attractions around Bali. A great example set by the hotel manager in spending time every morning having a brief chat with guests at breakfast.

The Balé is not inexpensive, nonetheless the service, the facilities and the food are all top quality.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Hello dcah11 and thank you for visiting us from the harbour city. We love the fact we are a boutique hotel of only 27 x 1 br villas (given the volume of larger hotels in Nusa Dua with 200 right up to 800 rooms) as we can provide a more personalised guest experience. From myself, to our Exec Chef, to our Front Office Manager to our front line team we are all very interactive with our guests daily to ensure we can create a memorable time at The Bale. We do it because we enjoy it!! and we all enjoy going to work every day due to our environment and team we work with, which I believe shows in the service and ambience. I am very happy you experienced this and took the time to write this review. I do hope I can personally welcome you both back and here to assist in making this happen if and when required.