“Beautiful property, extremely helpful staff, excellent mini-moon”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bale

The Bale
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Beautiful property, extremely helpful staff, excellent mini-moon”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We arrived at the Bale on the 8th of March for a 2 night getaway, a couple of weeks after our wedding. Here's the bad part... Our stay there was wayyyy too short!

The Bale is an extremely well-run villa and my wife and I had a great time. The staff were very helpful in providing us top notch service, helpful tips around the area, even driving us around Nusa Dua when we needed to get some stuff. The breakfast was really nice and we chose to have it in our villa itself, on the daybed next to the pool.

The beach is about 5 minute walk away from the villa, which has a section dedicated for the Bale's guests. They even provide us with body mist, sun screen and cold water. Great stuff!

We had a little issue with the airconditioning in our room (it got quite hot and stuffy), but the staff were excellent in dealing with it. We had to call them twice to fill in the freon, and when it seemed evident that the aircon was indeed not in working order, they bumped us up into another much bigger villa the next day, which was much appreciated.

All in all, we would love to stay here again in our future Bali trip. I would recommend this villa to anyone (and already have told my friends about it). We would like to thank the Bale's team for providing us such great service. Great work! Cheers

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sal S
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear SalS, thank you for visiting us from Jakarta. We enjoy looking after our local market and glad you found our product to be beautiful. We are 13 years young now, with a very strong and ongoing preventative maintenance program in place to ensure our product can stand up to the significant elements we encounter. This feedback is very well received by our engineering team who conduct this work consistently and often because they are behind the scenes, do not get enough of the praise they are deserving of. It is a team effort with back of house as important as front of house and across the board the team are very friendly to everyone they encounter because they enjoy where they work! We are far from perfect and sometimes unforeseen circumstances do present themselves in the villas, but the recovery and nature of how the team go about this is important and they do it very well with such care and genuine concern, to ensure it is fixed and ultimately our guests are happy. I apologise I did not get to meet with you as I was out of the country but do hope we can welcome you back to enjoy another experience and I can personally welcome you back accordingly. If I can assist in making this happen, please make contact with me directly luke.harley@thebale Kind regards - Luke Harley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We visited The Bale for 5 nights in March arriving and departing thoroughly impressed by the level of service and beautiful accommodation. Our villa was completely private and seemingly oriented to maximise the sun to enjoy the garden and pool throughout the day – if our villa were anything to go by you cannot be disappointed.

Faces restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner whilst you can also lunch at the main pool area or dine at Tapas Bar/Restaurant; Breakfast is a la carte and can be served in room for no extra charge which we opted for daily – it was always perfect. The prices for food and drink were more than acceptable with the minibar being replenished free of charge daily for most soft drinks. We chose to eat out during the evening - if just to keep check of reality - which the Bale staff will help to book and arrange transport for – transport is provided free of charge.

We did not venture to the beach and there is a main pool although we never saw any other guests using it. Various excursions are available including diving and visits to other areas of Bali – we had visited Lovina Beach & Ubud in our previous week so planned to relax here. We visited the Spa which was also faultless and competitively priced.

It has to be said that The Bale succeeds where many other resorts can disappoint in balancing truly world class service and great design with an intimate experience yet whilst maintaining acceptable pricing and a staff who are attentive, professional and more importantly personable all resulting in a unique and memorable stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BenMasters
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Hi BenMasters and thank you for visiting us from Leeds. A long way to come, but I am glad we made it worth your while, for your experience to be titled sublime!! Doesn't get much better than that, so we will take that any day of the week. I apologise in advance I was unable to meet with you personally as I was out of the country "showing off" our new son to family and friends, but I am glad the team looked after you in my absence. There is a lot of belief in what we provide and a lot of desire to ensure it is done in a professional yet discreet manner. We are designed to be a very quiet, tranquil and private villa complex ideal for romantics, honeymooners or couples celebrating a special occasion as our no kids or 16yrs and over only, to create what we promote. It is great to hear that we were able to find the balance you were looking for between service, design and pricing but the team here find this balance very well due to their experience with long serving pride which brings consistency assisting in making this happen. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again, perhaps same time next year toward the end of your at times brutal UK winter season and if I can assist in making this happen, please contact me directly luke.harley@thebale.com so I can be personally involved in ensuring round 2 was as good, if not better than round 1. Kind regards - Luke Harley
perth,wa
Reviewed 4 March 2014

You might wonder why i gave it 5 stars, because on my day of arrival, 2nd March, so many things in the villa wasn't working, and the climax being at 11.30pm , finding the cold water in the shower wasn't working, there is an outdoor shower as well, but i don't like outdoor showers at night...even on the day of check out, their printer wasn't working to print my bill .

Even now i am laughing at the introduction to my first day at the Bale, so why 5 stars ? -----because each time i called the butler , the problem was fixed not ASAP , but IMMEDIATELY.

Truly, these things happen, just usually not on the same day lol but the service in having the issues rectified was fantastic, ---the overall service was as good if not better than when i stayed at the Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong, and the E&O in penang------i felt the staff at the Bale, the smiles, their willingness to do anything for you came from the heart, not because they had a meeting that morning from the manager to remind them to give great service.

The ambience is so restful, a well maintained property, and despite what i mentioned about my pavilion, that was a gem, with its beautiful sparkling pool, and garden . The wellness kit full of soaps, oils, and bath salts were superb. The complimentary soft drinks and juice that were stocked daily was a very nice gesture. As i mentioned regarding the service, well i was so touched that they remembered i said i drink a lot of coffee, & that i like fresh milk, not the powered, because coming back in the evening, after housekeeping had been , -----they had my fresh milk topped up, and lots more sachets of coffee!!!!----how marvellous is that ...

My complimentary welcome massage was bliss, so good that i booked a full massage and a facial, 2 heavenly hrs of pure pampering.

I didn't utilize the beach, coming from Perth WA, i'm only down the road from one of the best coastlines in the world, ---and i just soaked up the serenity from my garden and pool, such lazy 2 days ----even had my meals delievered from Faces restaurant.

To all the staff at the Bale, no matter how luxurious the hotel & rooms are, The Bale would not be worthy of 5 stars if it wasn't for you and i hope to see you all again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank tarni
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Tarni, I apologise for the delay in replying to your posting and also for not meeting you during your time with us, as I was away for 2 weeks introducing our new son Hudson to family and friends. We are far from perfect and I thank you for your patience, respect and the opportunity for us to recover from where we fell short on your first day. You provided us the opportunity to right the wrong and in doing so we were able to recreate your impression of our product and team. This had the potential of turning into a positive or negative experience with TA posting given your arrival experience was not as it should have been and I am very proud of the team with their commitment to you as our guest to turn this around. This will not be the first or last time something like this occurs, however most important is minimising these occurences with the necessary recovery when these unforeseen circumstances happen and our team here have done this to exceed your expectations which I can't ask any more of them than that. I have said often every country in the world has beautiful hotels but it is the team that makes the experience and our team here does this in spades. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back from Perth given it is only a hop, skip and a jump away and if I can assist in making this happen, feel free to liaise with me directly. Kind regards - Luke Harley
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife are presently staying here. Checked in on the 27th. its our last night and are already dreading why is this holiday getting over.

Firstly my wife n me love bali secondly the bale is like a cherry on cake. We checked in for two nights and love everything about it. Are already planning to come again in April for a longer stay. We were put up in villa 34 which is clean and huge. The rooms are so clean and huge and we'll maintained. The staff are all so so so so so so much very helpful.

The pool is the best, huge beautiful and clean. The spa is very clean and the team just do an amazing work. the entire hotel is quite clean. Not many bugs or anything. Just encountered a lizard tiny one that too the hotel staff were quick in solving out.

The A/V system from yam aha is just wow. Relaxing in my villa and watching movies was very relaxing.

Always go for the deluxe villa as they offer good options with it.

Food is quite tasty and we'll prepared without any errors.

Just one mistake I found in this property, the wooden work in the room is some places need a little bit work but that is only noticeable if you really stare and look closely at things. But I would still not give any less points to this hotel.

Overall would rate 10 / 10.

Nice work team keep it up.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nabilmarwa
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Hi Nabilmarwa, thank you for your review and than you for visiting us from Oman. I am fairly confident in saying you are the first guest we have had stay with us from Oman and if not since opening, then certainly since I have been here so appreciate the time taken to travel to us. I am glad our product and team were able to live up to and exceed all expectations for such a heading of "WOW". Only good can come from such a heading so we are all glad you left with this positive experience. Our team and product are perfect not just for honeymooners and the romantic market, but also the Middle Eastern markets with the privacy and design perfect to compliment religious beliefs and customs. It is a market we would all certainly like to see increase, so I do hope we can welcome more guests from this region as I know we are a great location and product with the service expected to meet all expectations. Please spread the word to your friends and family about what we do and I look forward to welcoming you both back for round 2 of Bali and The Bale experiences. If I can assist with your next visit in April, feel free to liaise with me directly in advance luke.harley@thebale.com so I can assist making this happen. Kind regards - Luke Harley
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My husband and I spent the first part of our honeymoon at this wonderful resort before we traveled to the sister property, The Menjangan. We chose the Bale Experience package and it was worth every penny.

The spa services were incredible,all of the staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was delicious. The property itself is very well maintained and our room was absolutely perfect.

I would recommend this property without hesitation to anyone seeking a romantic getaway.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Hi AmyC and thank you for your belated posting. It is nice to know we made such an impact on your special occasion, that you still think of us 5 months later to prompt this posting. It is a long way to travel to Bali from the US of A, so we appreciate the effort and we are all glad we could make your honeymoon memorable. It is wonderful you also experienced our sister property (the Menjangan) in the West Bali National park which is stunning in its own right, being at one with nature which is a different experience and design as to what is on offer in the metropolitan areas of Bali. It is so worth doing and I am sure Rico and his team at The Menjangan also looked after you very well in the jungle. Our team here across the board enjoy what we do and they are very good at it!! While I appreciate the word perfect in your header, we are far from it but its not from a lack of trying. It is a long way to come back but if an anniversary Bali style is on the cards, liaise with me directly luke.harley@thebale.com so we can assist in creating another memorable experience for you both. Kind regards - Luke Harley.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed in the Bale for 4 days and 3 nights with my wife on February. All i can say about the bale was "........" (speechless). I absolutely astonished on the service that they offer to me and my wife. The room was great, food was totally excellent, the main court/pool looks amazingly beautiful. What so great about this place is the people who worked there. They dedicate themselves to fully served you and the level of the service was up on the roof. We bought satay and fried calamari for our snack before dinner and the guy who served us explain to us bit by bit on what we going to eat.
The design layout of the whole villa was amazing. I already started to get excited when i was walking up the stair, walking down the main pool, and through to our room. I especially like the way they fold up the towel and form it like a swan. The combination between the sandstone wall and the traditional Balinese roof sums up everything.
It is unfortunate for us that we went on rainy season (February) we did no have the chance to jump to to the swimming pool and have a relax moment in the day bed.

I personally want to say thank you for all the staff, you guys make our holiday complete with such a please memorable place and services

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Hi aditirawan and thank you for coming to stay with us from Melbourne. I am glad you felt like royalty during your time with us and our team go out of their way to make all of guests have an enjoyable and genuinely relaxing experience. Your photos are very thorough, so thank you for posting these so others can see the real images of our product from real guests. Our environment is designed to be minimalistic while also relaxing and romantic which you both obviously experienced. Our team really enjoy providing our guests genuine Balinese style service always with a big smile on their faces. There is a lot of pride and belief in what they do and it is a priviledge to be a part of it daily. I hope you can return again to see the ducks that you enclosed in you photos and if I can assist in making this happen, please feel free to liaise with me directly luke.harley@thebale.com Kind regards - Luke Harley
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Sep 2013, my husband & I stay 3D/2N, and try most of what The Bale has -- beach club, spa, couple dinner, the library, off course breakfast -- except the fitness (we don't have time for that). For couple of big city hussle bustle like us, everything is excellent & we enjoy every moment of our stays.

It such a sweet serenity & solitude, with a stupa/borobudur temple/arupadatu concept, with wide on entrance & ground level then stepping up to our room on upper level, quite a walk every time but It likely as a kind of pilgrimage. Entering our villa room we can hear soft traditional Balinese instrument.

The breakfast, the couple dinner are all healthy & hearty.

The beach club at in front beach, Geger beach, is clean Sandy beach with blue sea blue sky, serene n relaxing, but you can also get sporty with some watersport e.g. canoeing, wind sailing.

The Bale does rejuvenate & relax us, for us The Bale is always inspiring.

I share some of our pictures; room, villa, restaurant, public area of The Bale in Idlehomemaker.wordpress.com

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Hi idolhomemaker, thank you for your belated posting and I am glad we made an impact on your stay with us, to post abut your experience 5 months after staying. The team here get great pride welcoming Indonesian guests, so they can be proud of the products, service and guest experiences the team here can create for their fellow country men/women and it is all here right on your backdoor. We are glad you were able to escape the hustle and bustle of Surabaya to come and be pampered by us and if any of your family or friends can also do the same. we would love to welcome them accordingly with the benefit of some wonderful rates and packages for our local domestic market. if we can assist in making this happen, please liaise with us directly so we can welcome them to the same experience you enjoyed. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for another round of pampering. Kind regards - Luke Harley