“An all time favourite”

Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Australia
“An all time favourite”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Have been staying here for years and it never fails to impress.
It is a true chill out zone where the villas are the centerpiece of relaxation. I could (and do) spend all day laying on the outdoor day bed reading book after book overlooking private pool big enough to do laps in. The interiors of the room are contemporary and comfortable and still in great condition after all this time.
The room service (a favourite of mine) is excellent. Love, love love their nasi goreng and satays! The service is always exceptional and nothing is ever too much trouble.
Sure, this isn't on the beach (they do have access to their own beach club minutes away) or even the most active location (but close enough to Nusa Dua main areas), etc but you go here to relax and enjoy the time in the villa or the restaurant or spa. In fact they "recently" opened a new restaurant Tapa above the entrance. I tried this on a couple of evening and was full after trying a couple of the different tapas selections. Great quality.
Overall, I will look forward to coming back again each year...but perhaps next time will try their new property just opened, The Santai Umalas. It also looks amazing! Congratulations to Jose and the entire team of The Bale. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Room Tip: The "newer" rooms are looking towards the next door golf club but I don't think their...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank LiveTravelDie
JoseLuisCalleR, Managing Director - Lifestyle Retreats at The Bale, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear LiveTravelDie

Thanks again for staying with us…. It feels like welcoming you back home already.
Stay in touch and hope you can visit us soon? Bring some friends and maybe stay at The Santai next! You will love it as well.
Cheers

JOSE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have just returned from two nights at the Bale, and it was an absolutely spoil. The staff all work together as such a good team, to ensure they understand - and meet - all of your requests. In essence nothing is too much trouble. Food at both restaurants was exceptional, and despite being booked out, it feels like you are the only ones in the resort, due to the well considered layout, and landscape. And, all still looks brand new. When we next visit Nusa Dua, that's where we'll be!

Room Tip: Beautiful aspect for all rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear RozB
thank you for your kind words.. We are glad to learnt that you had such a wonderful (although short) stay with us at The Bale. The team (family as we refer to them) is simply brilliant and never hesitate to make an effort to please our guests.. stay in touch and hope to welcome you both very soon!.. thanks again!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 June 2014

As a secluded retreat to get away from it all, the Bale is a great place. Impeccable service, tranquil and discreet, once you arrive you know you are getting good service. From online booking to emails, the staff are in touch with you and make an effort to know your requirements air pickup arrangements etc before you step into the hotel. I requested fresh milk / cream in my coffee and it was already in the fridge (a carton no less). The mini fridge was well stocked with drinks which some are complimentary during your stay. Great touch!

Modern and contemporary, the compound only has villas, each having a butler service. Granted, the butler who registers you (in the comfort of your villa) may not be the same person who will attend to you for the rest of your stay (so therefore NOT "personalized"), but the butler staff do make an effort that your requests are followed up within their team. Walking through the grounds I was surprised that the staff that passed by were able to greet me by name and ask about how I enjoyed my days events, which was well planned and arranged when I arrived (Thanks Gobi!!)

The room service was impeccable, having ordered the deluxe pavilion package plan, food was delivered swiftly to the villa; all a la carte. I enjoyed the breakfasts / dinners in the villa, which I could take at leisure (half board / spa package). The deluxe single villa had a sizable desk and sofa space, however lighting was a bit dim -maybe to discourage guests from working on their vacation- near the desk and suitcase storage area. Lots of closet space though! Their in room menus had a great combination of fusion/ Indonesian and western dishes on offer, and their set meals had great choices, however one could easily be tired by the choices after a weeks stay. However I cannot recommend the mango parfait enough!!
Tapas, their bar was on a higher level above the spa/ wellness areas. Their cocktails were innovative and tasty. I was glad to be able to sample their set dinners (which I almost missed during my stay, if I wasn't reminded by the waitstaff). Their food, "tapas" had great variety and portion size enabled you to sample the many offerings on the menu.

The room was spacious. I was amazed by the size of the bathroom, showers, and the design that one can directly enter the pool from that area (without dirtying the sleeping areas) was well thought out. The soaps they had on offer - one could never try them all out (there are only so many baths one can take). However being near a natural area, mosquitos and flying pests were a problem. The room I had had a small ant problem as well, my coffee cup from the night before was host to a colony the morning after. I also saw a gecko (hand size) but after the inital shock it scattered away, and I dismissed it as nature's way of pest control. The housekeeping staff were swift to answer my calls for pest control, but like I said, it was a battle with nature. I can only recommend to ask for the mosquito net the night you arrive, there is no point in relaxing in the villa if you can't get a decent night sleep being woken up by annoying buzzes and itchy bites. Housekeeping also made a great effort of making the pool clean (trees neaby so there is always some floating debris) however the tiles could use a bit of scrubbing. The age of the hotel certainly shows in the tiles. You may want to find the kettle (outside near the daybed) and bring it into the villa if you do prefer having your morning tea in the villa). Villas are quite spaced out so there are a few stairs, and slopes, so guests with mobility problems may find the farther placed villas harder to get to. Try to stay in a villa away from the road, as it may get pretty noisy with cars, and livestock. Facing the golf course is tranquil but nature and its flying guests are at your doorstep.

The Spa was a fair walk from my pavilion but the setting was secluded and relaxing. The staff were very professional and courteous, and were happy to rearrange my spa times when my day's intinerary ran overtime. Such strength in small petite ladies! I felt very relaxed and refreshed after sampling their traditional spa, aromtherapy spa and hot stone massage. *The stones are hot* . The gym is one of the better gyms on offer at luxury villas, so if you have time, checking out the place is worthwhile.

In all, the Bale was a great place to unwind and get away from it all. The Nusa Dua area is quiet and laid back, but close to the beaches and other resorts (the chauffeur drives you anywhere in the area for free). The service is what makes the hotel so great, but the battle with nature wages on.

Room Tip: Solo deluxe pavilion wonderful (take the package) but stay away from the main road as you can hear c...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank CHYL2013
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 19 June 2014

For those of you who have read my reviews, you know I tell it like it is and explain the good and bad features as we saw or experienced them.

From the moment you enter the Bale, you know you have arrived at a very special place.

The Balinese bungalow set in a tranquil and secluded position was just the place for us to find the piece of paradise we had hoped for.

Although the resort has its own private beach area, we were more than happy to lounge around our own private pool that had a steps direct from our bathroom into the water. Everything about this resort is themed to offer total relaxation, such as having two luxury sun loungers and a sumptuous double bed in it's own covered area (with tea and coffee making facilities) to be used for massages and well er just relaxing and being in your own world. You really couldn't ask for more. The music system in the lounge is loud enough to enjoy outside without upsetting your neighbours.

You would want to recreate the bathroom for your own property, especially the outdoor rain forest shower and huge double person stand alone bath.

It is so secluded that you never had to worry about being seen from any part of the bungalow or its grounds.

The dining at the Bale is to die for but be prepared to add some kilos as it's impossible to miss out on any courses. The dining area is open as is the kitchen, which forms part of the dining sensation where the chefs are happy to discuss your menu choice to make sure it's cooked to your personal taste. And then there is the 7- course breakfasts every day prepared for each guest...no buffet cold bacon to put up with. I have to say, it's the best breakfast we have ever experienced with travelling to four continents and always staying at 5* accommodations.

Luckily, there is also a quality gym to help you work off those extra kilos for those of you who feel guilty or just want to keep fit.

With your own private butler to take care of your every whim we found the Bale staff to be very friendly and well trained in attending to your every need.

The resort is not too close to towns and the sights, but it wouldn't be the paradise it is if you could hear traffic etc. However, There are resort cars if you need them and car hire if you want to explore the island on your own. We opted for an outside private car service and kept the same driver for all our excursions and occasional dinner at one of the top restaurants close by.

I could wax lyrical all day about the Bale because it was indeed heaven on earth for us, and it's one of life's special pleasures that should be experienced at least once in a lifetime.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Namtip D
Fresno, California
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Four of us, including two adult children stayed for five nights in one of the two villa compounds. I wasn't sure I'd like having a private pool, but it turned out to be perfect. The staff are all incredibly nice and the available complimentary transportation makes the "off beach" location work just fine. The included breakfasts are great and unlimited. Much nicer, actually, than a buffet. Highly recommended.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JimHering
Dear Jim Hering

it was an absolute pleasure meeting you and your lovely family few weeks ago.. thank you for your positive review. I am very glad you had a good time and appreciated the luxury of having your own pool and such relaxing environs..
stay in touch and hope to welcome you back in the near future despite of the distance!.. best regards and thanks again!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My partner and I celebrated our anniversary at The Bale. From the outset, our experience was blissful. Our flight was delayed by 1.5 hours, but our lovely driver was patiently waiting and welcomed us enthusiastically as we cleared customs. When we went to the car, we were delighted to find chilled water and hand towels, a beautiful fruit platter, and delicious peanuts for the journey. Our driver also briefed us in advance on the many amenities The Bale had to offer.

When we arrived, we were immediately escorted to our room for a private check-in. We were literally speechless when we saw our villa. Not only was it gorgeous, but it had been specially decorated with rose petals in honor of our anniversary. The Bale's fantastic manager, Luke, had also sent us an anniversary cake. He had also prepared a letter welcoming us to The Bale and congratulating us on our anniversary. Significantly, his letter was hand-written - I think it's these sorts of touches that make The Bale a truly special resort.

Our villa had a gorgeous plunge pool, with views of the forest. The only sounds were of the birds happily chirping. The outside day bed was a welcome addition to the lounge chairs. Inside, our villa was beautifully appointed and the AC kept the entire place comfortably cool. Bathroom amenities were extensive (although I opted not to use the selection of soaps, as they contained palm oil).

Breakfast is another area where The Bale excels. My partner and I each made a few specific requests (e.g. extra avocado on my veggie burger, modifications to the smoothie blends), and these were all accommodated without fuss. I loved the option of having breakfast in the villa, at no extra cost. The cocktails and snacks we ordered throughout the day were of a very high standard.

Unfortunately we were unable to book a treatment at the spa, but that was our fault (we left it too late!). Nonetheless, the staff tried to accommodate us. When they weren't able to find an appointment, one of the staff came down to the beach where we were lounging to inform us personally and apologize. I have never experienced this level of courtesy before. Once again, it demonstrates why The Bale is such a special place.

Our only regret is that we didn't stay longer! I also wish I'd spent more time thanking Luke and all the staff for everything they did for us. They could make millions teaching other resorts and hotels on how to treat guests!

Thank you so much to all the team! :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HongKongVeggie
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Hi HongKongVeggie and thank you for visiting us from ...... well Hong Kong I dare say. "Beyond perfection" is an outstanding heading and we thank you for the wonderful sentiment. We do try our hardest to ensure our guests get the best possible experience but perfect we are not however it's not from a lack of trying. It is the little things that make a difference and from the arrival experience, to the personally written note (which I must admit I do enjoy writing and getting a bit creative with it), to the anniversary set up in your villa, to the amenities then the calm, peaceful and serene environment we provide with our genuine and caring team all adding to the overall experience. We are proud of our product, we are very proud of our team and we are very proud of the service we provide. We are all very glad you had an experience you rate as better than 5 star and we look forward to welcoming you back for another positive experience and anniversary. If we can assist in creating another special memory, please do not hesitate to make contact with me directly luke.harley@thebale.com Kind regards - Luke Harley
Louisiana
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at The Bale. What a great staff, super friendly and very helpful, the service was always great!! The villa is super clean and very roomy. A few mosquitos, but nothing that one shouldn't expect in the tropical climate of Bali and nothing that disturbed our stay. Our AC was fine during the entire stay, but we were never in the room during the heat of the day. Breakfast was great! We had it delivered to the villa and also enjoyed at the restaurant, high quality and never a long wait. The beach club was great and always kept clean. Some of the chairs and umbrellas could use an upgrade, but again the service made one forget that the beach chair wasn't brand new. The spa was beautiful and always had great treatments! All of the spa team was very nice and did terrific job! There is no manicure/pedicure services at the Bale spa, but they had recommendations for places close by. Local shuttle service always seemed available and there never was a wait for a ride. It should be noted, that walking anywhere from the Bale is not the easiest, so the rides were always welcome! Need to give a special shout out to the team at TAPAS! TAPAS is the other restaurant on premises and has the perfect evening menu for a nice light snack and samples of many different flavors. Michelle and her team there are awesome, service was perfect and friendly. Always seemed to have a special treat for us.
Overall a great trip and a great stay, the resort is not brand new, but the place is very well maintained and had a terrific team (they call each other family) that seem to truly care about the guests.

Room Tip: Stay at a deluxe villa, some villas maybe a long walk up stairs.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MiketheTiger08
Luke H, General Manager at The Bale, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hi MiketheTiger08 and thank you for visiting us all the way from Louisiana. A long journey made and we are all glad you received an experience that met if not exceeded your expectations. From the cleanliness of the rooms, the minimalistic design of our villas and the large space they provide we are very proud of our product and the experience we create. I note your point about mosquitoes and the ac in the villas. These are both very hard to control given our climate, the environment and our surrounds. We have recently installed 14 new ac systems in our villas which is still in progress to maximise villa comfort as well as ongoing procedures (wet and dry fogging) 4 times per week to minimise mosquito presence. It is not easy and will never be completely rectified as mother nature always comes out on top but it is not from a lack of trying. Thank you for identifying TAPA, the food and the team there. It is a relatively new product being opened just under a year now and another alternate dining venue not just for our in house guests but also external guests. With live music, DJs or just lounging around at night with a lovely cocktail and TAPA style dishes the product, team led well by Jan Michelle and Beni in the kitchen, the service and offerings are top quality we just need more awareness and guests to maximise the atmosphere. We are confident this will happen as the feedback and increase in business is suggesting this, it is just taking some time for the location and reputation to find its feet. As you noted we are not a new product, having been around for about 13 years now however what we do, we do very well spending a lot of time and money on our preventative maintenance program to ensure our product remains in touch and competes successfully with the competition which surrounds us. Than you for spending your time with us and I look forward to welcoming you back again, should the opportunity present itself. Kind regards - Luke Harley