“My two weeks at Mercure”

Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Stayed here with friends Julie and Ross. Brand new hotel has lots teething problems, hotel room staff excellent, rooms very small, food below standard,coffee terrible, few facilities, I stayed here for two weeks, I managed in small room but poor Julie and Ross rooms far too small.hard for me to come back or recommend this hotel unless changes are made . I would suggest.quick fixes Putting some drawer storage in rooms either side of bed.reassess the desk area could have storage drawers there , also needs a mirror on wall over desk so we girls can do hair & makeup,as no bathroom just toilet room and shower room hard to get in and out of both if two in room. great pool but no shade area needs sail ,fact no shade anywhere on complex that needs attention, not good for children .no spa no coffee shop staff need barista training and decent coffee machine, food well don't go there never been in any Accor chain hotel with a menu like this one .new chef just started hope he can turn things around. Really the buk stops with management suggest manager takes a good look at all these comments. Could be really beautiful if managed correctly and a few things are done to make guest stay more comfortable wonder where manager eats? Bali is tourist mecca so pork bacon ,skim milk and soy milk aren't that hard to supply surely,management should look a little down road at Novotel I have stayed there before and that's where we go for coffee & brekky great themed dinners entertainment great for kids families facilities excellent rooms spacious that's where we will be staying again when next in Bali early next year. Best thing I can say about Mercure Nusa Dua is we got our daily exercise walking to and from Novotel for coffee, breakfast ,Pause cafe is a life saver. Would come back to Mercure only if invited and improvements made but not as a paying guest sorry Accor love your hotel chain but this beautiful hotel on outside needs more love and thought on inside .staff did point out managers quarters though no problems with size there by the looks.come on Mercure get it together!!!!

Room Tip: Never judge a book by its cover look carefully inside.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Viviennejh
Peter S, General Manager at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Dear Mrs. Vivienejh,

Thank you for taking the time to add your comments at Tripadvisor.

I have noted your comment regarding the room interior and we will review your recommendations.

We are in the process of upgrading our menus and other food & beverages services hence when you return early next year to Bali it will be my pleasure to invite you for dinner to show the changes made.

I remain with kind regards,

Reviewed 30 May 2013

This hotel is probably not where you want to spend your Bali holiday, but at the right price, it's a good place to get a night's sleep, a hot shower and one last swim before catching your flight. Make that 2 swims, the beach (accessed by shuttle) is good, the pool is impressive.

Skip the breakfast buffet and walk across the road to Pause Cafe at the back of the Novotel for breakfast though.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Goat-whisperer
Peter S, General Manager at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

Dear Goat-whisperer,

Thank you for your comments with reference to your recent stay.

I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed the pool facilities and the beach. For your info, we are in the process of developing a small bar and food center at the beach to enhance the facilities.

Similar as within the property we are planning additional facilities to be able to offer a wider range services

Further, please be advised that we have recently hired a new Chef who is in the process of preparing the new breakfast buffet menu which will implemented soon.

I remain with kind regards and hope to welcome you during your next visit to Bali.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Please don't use this hotel if staying for more than 2 days. Room extremely small. No drawers no shelves. Can not unpack. No power points for hair dryer. Room extremely small. Breakfast buffet. Really bad. No bacon or eggs allowed. No coffee. Reception staff. Do not do anything you ask. No spa no shop Not much here. Obvious. Bad management. Okay if on business for a couple of days. Nothing for children here. Nothing for adults

Room Tip: Try Novotel up the road. It is excellent. No rooms in this hotel are ant good for more than 2 days...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank julie-smaroochydore
Peter S, General Manager at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Dear Julie-Smaroochyd,

It was with great concern to read your comments and apologize for the short comings you encountered.

I would appreciate if you can contact me through the reception desk to enable me to meet you.

Looking forward to make your acquaintanceship

Reviewed 24 April 2013

This new hotel has wide area of parking and reception. It has a small gym with good quality equipments. I stayed with my family during Nyepi Day. We had a great time and spent the day swimming and exercising. Overall, it is clean and has good service. I will recommend my friends to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank GIANNINA108
Nisfha K, Manager at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Dear Mrs. GIANNINA 108

Thank you for taking the time to add your review at TripAdvisor. We are pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed our facilities , specially the gym and swimming pool.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in the near future .

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Its brand spanking new and that is pretty much what its got going for it NOW. I have never stayed in a hotel room with the sink in the main bedroom. It is awkward to get in and out of cubicles ( separate toilet and shower) with glass doors that open into each other and too close to the sink. The bedroom was small. With luggage, we could hardly move around. The little fridge hardly cooled the drinks. The terrace that overlooks the pool area is the size of a flower box. They had a small bench on it. One can't sit there and catch rays. The balcony is cement so no way to sit on the balcony and enjoy any view. We definitely couldn't sit two people on the terrace. The AC at least works but wish they had written instructions on how to set it. We thought we'd set the temps before we left and came back to a very hot room. It would have saved misery if they had instructions.
Breakfast is mediocre. Price is too much considering what there was. We happened to be staying here on a night when there was a major downpour and we'd gone out that night. The street the hotel is located OUTSIDE the BTDC was flooded in seconds. We had no choice but to wade thru floodwaters above the ankle. Motorcycles were driving on the pavement. Worst still is that there are open drains ( they have been like that for years) and those drains were covered in water and unmarked. Someone could just fall into one of those. We were scared but had no choice but brave it as it was late at night. Not exactly a dream experience. The room wifi connections sucked too. Housekeeping was inconsistent. The only thing the hotel has going for it is that it is new.

Room Tip: Look at other hotels in the area and price range
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JavaMama58
Nisfha K, Manager at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Dear JavaMam58,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to Tripadvisor.

We have taken note of your comments regarding the property and we will follow up on the various operational issues.

With reference to the drainage in the streets around the hotel, please be advised that we have written to the local Bandar regarding this matter as it not only affect the image of the various hotels in our surroundings however also the local community.

We remain with kind regards and hope to welcome you during your next visit to Bali.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Nice and clean hotel. it still new. They offer free shuttle to Bali Collection (shopping area at BTDC), wish they have free shuttle to kuta area, the traffic jam is worst.
I stayed there on mid March with my wife, small room but, think is quite alright for both of us since we seldom spend time in the room. Most of the day we went out and enjoy Bali. They have free wi-fi.

Room Tip: ask for pool view, if you spent more of your time in the hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meetjef

Dear Meetjef

Thank you for your kind comments regarding you recent stay at Mercure Nusa Dua.

We have taken note of your request regarding a shuttle to Kuta and we will plan a survey for our guest regarding the demand for such a service for our review.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again during your next visit to Bali

Reviewed 12 April 2013

This time, I would like to share my experience staying in a newly opened Mercure Bali Nusa Dua. Both of me and my wife were visiting Bali the 2nd time for Christmas holiday last year as we got a good (hotel) offer we could not refuse.

It all started when we arrived in Bali in the morning of December 24, 2012, after driving for about eleven (11) hours from Surabaya, my hometown. We decided to go to the hotel directly this time after spending many hours on the road. It was not so difficult for us to find the hotel although it took us more than 10 minutes to figure out how to get there when we arrived in Nusa Dua area.

The best way to find this hotel is finding the access road going to St. Regis Bali, Mulia Resort or Nikko Bali Resort and Spa as it is basically the same exact road heading to all these hotels. This hotel is much closer to Nusa Dua By Pass compare to other hotels I've mentioned before. So, if you can't find the signboard to Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, try to find signboard heading to any of the above hotels and for frequent travelers to Bali, I guess they would have no problem in finding the hotel if they know how to get to NIkko Bali Resort and Spa.

We're quite impressed when we arrived in the security check-point : From distance, someone could see similar designs when we entered W Retreat & Spa Bali - Seminyak or even in Mulia Resort. The entrance gate appeared to be quite grand but when we drove further, we would see empty parcel in our surroundings and from there, we could see the main building and its parking structure.

We both arrived in the hotel around I:30 ~ 2:00 pm (Bali/local time) and we proceeded straight away to the front desk for check-in. The check-in procedure itself took quite longer than usual as we had to wait in the lobby for approx. 15 minutes before our room was ready. There was another guests arrived almost at the same time as ours and I saw they also had to wait in the lobby. Well, we could live with that and after driving for 11 hours, 15~20 minutes really was not a big deal for us.

When we entered our room, I immediately felt disappointed to learn how small our room was considering this was a four-stars-hotel. The room was approx. 20~25% smaller than the room in Mercure Bali Harvestland Kuta. For seconds, I had a strong impression whoever designed the room, they were trying to build as many rooms as possible in one floor. However, the good thing was everything seemed to be in order at the time we checked-in : Air conditioner worked nicely, everything was nice and clean and the best thing was we even have a (small) private balcony although we could not see any view from there but at least we could get fresh air anytime we wanted it.

We had a good sleep in the first night and we did not realize the first problem until we woke up the next morning. We woke up early the next day after hearing people (and children) walking, running, talking, playing and even countless of loud bang of opened and closed doors. Well, frankly speaking, this was something I did not expect to find during my stay especially in any of Nusa Dua Hotels and it's happening every morning !!! Until now, I could not imagine how any of the hotel guests could stand this horrible situation when they were visiting Bali for holiday and would like to have a good night's sleep.

In my honest opinion, the hotel was poorly designed (certainly for its sound proof) and poorly built. It was sad for me to say but that's my honest opinion after staying in this hotel property for six (6) days. During my stay, you would see water dripping from the ceiling in the shower area but there was one thing I certainly would not accept was the fact that the house keeping did not even replace/clean the cups in the room for the duration of our stay !!!

This horrible situation worsened with the act of few front desk staffs when I requested a late check-out (1:00 pm) and after few requests, both of us felt we were being ignored by them so that we decided to proceed with check-out immediately. In the front desk area, I managed to speak with Head of Finance Controller (if I was not mistaken) where I shared my experience.

He was quite responsive by taking down my feedback and even offered me to speak directly with Mr. Peter Stolk who happened was standing in the lobby area, talking with one of the hotel owners who stayed in the hotel property with his family. Since I lost my mood already, I politely refused his offer but I decided to fill out a comment card which Mr. Peter replied after receiving it.

In my personal opinion, it is a pity that this hotel is not properly built and run as it supposedly. The hotel certainly is located in one of the prestigious area in Bali (Nusa Dua) where many world renowned hotels are being built in this area. Although we were quite impressed by the second we arrived in security check-point but basically there was nothing in the hotel except a good size swimming pool for the hotel guests to enjoy.

Finally, based on our experience in staying at this hotel, both of me and my wife have decided that this would be our last stay in this hotel : Yes, we decided to stay away from this hotel as nothing was properly performed and managed. However, as a newly built hotel, I hope they are willing to listen to guests' feedback and realize that many other hotels are doing whatever they can to keep their guests coming back. Hotel's competition in Bali is so fierce these days so that anyone who operates hotel in Bali simply can't close their eyes as they can lose the business these days if they don't perform and treat the clients well enough.

Room Tip: Get a room with pool view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bambang S
Peter S, General Manager at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Dear Mr. Bambang S

Thank you for taking the time to write at TripAdvisor and inform us about your experiences at Mercure Bali Nusa Dua during your stay on December.

I would like to refer to my email I send to you on 03 January 2013 as a reply regarding your stay which you commented on in the guest questionnaire.

Further, I would also like to thank you again for the kind and understanding reply you send to me the same day.

We have continued over the past months the staff training besides we have made additional technical improvements and consulting a sound insulation specialist.

I hope that despite this lapse in our services, we hope to meet you in person the next time you visit Bali.