“Stunning Resort!”

Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Perth, Australia
“Stunning Resort!”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I travel to Bali around 3 times a year - it's my 'Happy Place'. I very recently stayed at the Mulia Resort In Nusa Dua and it was quite simply an outstanding experience. The resort is stunningly beautiful, in fact quite breathtaking. The attention to detail with regard to the architecture and layout of the many pools and statues is so impressive. The word 'opulence' comes to mind when I think about the resort - a great deal of money has been invested I imagine. The resort has various restaurants and cafes, all serving beautiful food. My standout experience with regard to dining was sunday brunch at the Soleil Italian Restaurant which fronts onto the oceon pool. I was lucky enough to bump into one of the staff from the Soleil the day before - Sudi. He had worked at the Holiday Inn Baruna in Tuban, and I had met him many times during my numerous visits to the hotel. His customer service at the Holiday Inn was second to none and when he recommended that I should make a reservation at the Soleil for Sunday brunch I did so without hesitation. The afternoon was absolutely fantastic with the most amazing food, extensive choice of drinks and Sudi to make sure that I was well taken care of, I hope management take note that I believe they are extremely lucky to have Sudi as an employee, he is courteous, friendly and very professional. All in all I can not fault the Mulia - I plan to visit again with my Husband in July and I can't wait!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

MuliaResort, Manager at Mulia Resort, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Twoscompany23,

Warm greetings from Mulia Resort, Bali.

Thank you for the valuable comment upon Mulia Resort and for your precious time to share it on Trip Advisor. We were pleased to learn that you had a wonderful experience at the resort also appreciate your compliments on our product, services as well as the facilities of the resort. As Mulia Resort, we have always been committed to continuously give our guest a memorable experience with indigenous hospitality.

Your comments regarding our staff, Sudi at Soleil is highly appreciated and we have extended with the whole team for their motivation.

On behalf of the entire team, we certainly look forward to welcoming you back and to enjoy another wonderful experience with us in near future.

Management of Mulia Resort - Nusa Dua, Bali

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Lovely hotel, great staff. We really enjoyed it. Come to this hotel again and recommend it to your friends! I wish Mulia hotels thrive in the same direction!
Thanks for a great stay, and wonderful memories!

Room Tip: Royal Suite (83 м²)

Dear Lola L,

Thank you for your precious time to post such a valuable review on Trip Advisor.

The most important element is that you had a memorable Mulia experience and we greatly appreciate on your overall compliments regarding to the resort.

I sincerely hope you would return and look forward to the time I can welcome you back.

Managemento f Mulia Resort - Nusa Dua, Bali
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This resort is huge by bali standards. The beach is amazing, the pools are by far the largest I've ever seen. The ground and lobby are extremely well maintained. The food and drinks are divine (shaved ice in themselves are worth a trip!). I never wanted to leave the bed in my room... so comfy... I'm pretty sure I have never slept so well in all of my life! The spa was an amazing experience... I would have like to go every day... but its rather price for bali standards.

There are a few weird things that left me with a lack luster feeling surrounding this place. I should state that I am not a "5 star resort traveller." Im just as happy in a guest house as a world class resort.. but when I stay at a place like this... I do have certain standards...

For a 5 star resort..the beach service was non-existent, once they set up a chair for you. You had to go to the beach bar to get any kind of service... normally service would come to you...strange.

The we arrived early (around noon) and our room "wasn't ready" which I don't believe. (didn't really matter.. we went to the beach anyways. The resort was more then half empty. Then the first room we had, had an overwhelming odour of cigarette smoke... and there were actual ashes on the floor. The hotel rooms are all technically non-smoking. We called the front desk and they quickly came to clean the room. A few hours later we returned to the room, and the smell was so bad we ended up changing rooms. The second room was much nicer smell wise....until it rained... and the air conditioning turned on and again... cigarette smoke! YUCK!

The other things that could have made our stay much better...

A map of the resort, and the services they offer... there are so many restaurants, bars, lounges, etc... we couldn't find them all...

A spa menu in the room would have been helpful. They had a partial menu delivered daily but a full service menu would be nice.

An activity guide delivered to the room - things were going on.. but we didn't know when or where..

A map / surrounding areas / tour information in a book either at the concierge desk or in the rooms.. We kept asking for information and they would give us brochures but we realized as we were leaving there was a lot more to the area then we experienced.

Regardless of the above... I would return to this resort... just for the beach and pools...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank marhar17
Shenzhen, China
Reviewed 22 April 2014

For sure Mulia Resort is one of the best hotel in Bali, the staff are very friendly, facility are good, service is wonderful. The silver welding gift given by the hotel is very nice. It is the best choice for staying in Bali.

Room Tip: The room without swimming pool is more valuable.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Merton D,

Your feedback is truly valued and I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I am so happy to hear that you had a great experience and we are definitely looking forward to your upcoming stay with us.

Management of Mulia Resort - Nusa Dua, Bali
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The resort is huge and came with many facilities. The royal suite ocean court rooms are spacious and luxurious. They provided Aromatherapy Associates which I really like. The beach is nice and just in front of the beach pool. The service in the resort was good but the quality of food can be improved.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Christal J,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor and we are happy that you had an enjoyable time while staying with us.

Your constructive feedbacks are trully appreciated especially your compliments on our service, product.

With kind regards,

management of Mulia Resort - Nusa Dua, Bali
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over the Easter holiday in 2014. This is a breathtaking property and every time to enter the lobby, the views are stunning. I am amazed at how large this hotel property is as well. Our stay was great in many ways - good food, fantastic pools, great fitness center and overall a good experience.

However, for a hotel this classy, the service is surprisingly patchy. We asked for firm pillows and never got one nor were told whether we would. They are not very baby friendly. The baby mattress provided was not of very good quality. They did not have any baby amenities. Suprisingly they did not stock baby swimming diapers in a hotel with so many pools.

When the hotel is full, the breakfast lines can get very long! One has to get there early to beat the queues. Everything at the Spa was very steeply priced and so we did not end up going there. There are amazing spas all over Nusa Dua. So this should not be an issue.

If I were the management, I would make this hotel more baby and child friendly and get the service levels up by answering calls quicker and being more responsive to needs of guests.

Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We are Bali residents and like to spend weekends sometimes at some of the fabulous hotels on the island. For the Easter long weekend we booked the Mulia, checking in Friday and out again Sunday. The Mulia website advertised a suite for 2 adults and our 2 children aged 6 and 10, buffet breakfast, dinner and Sunday brunch at Soleil. The room was said to have a king bed as well as a full-sized sofa bed. A great package we thought.

We arrived at 11am Friday so be told our room was available but could not check in until 3pm unless we wanted to pay the early checkin fee which we declined. We went to the ocean pool to find not a single bit of shade. We found plenty of sun loungers in full sun so we kept an eye for some shade during the day which we found around 3pm. Around 4pm we checked into our room which was lovely and spacious with lots of attention to detail. We relaxed there then got ready for drinks and dinner. DInner was fabulous, lots of choice for everybody even though the restaurant was huge and very busy. When we were brought the bill at the end we explained that the dinner was included in our rate but we were informed it was just for 2 people and to take it up with reception which we did.

When we returned to our room we found the "full-sized sofa bed" to be only a single. When we called reception they said they would not supply another bed and they expected one of the children to sleep with the parents and not both in the sofa bed. We were not happy with this as we cannot sleep with a child in the bed as they move around so much so they agreed to bring us a blow up mattress. Great. We also questioned the charge for dinner and were told this is their policy - it does not state that when you book and they would not budge on it. We requested to speak to management the following morning.

The following morning no call from anybody so I called them, we were told that the breakfast only was for 4 people even though on the booking there is nothing at all like that. I still said I was not happy about the dinner and brunch arrangement being only for 2 when it is advertised for the room. I said it was misleading and not fair but they simply said this is their policy. At not one time was there any empathy or understanding shown to me. We went to the pool and managed to "reserve" 2 sun loungers in the shade (something which I hate to do but were so sunburnt from the day before we had no choice).

We went to breakfast to find a line of around 20 people in from of us, great. We finally sat down 30 mins later feeling hot and uncomfortable. I ordered eggs benedict for myself and poached eggs for the children. My eggs benedict arrived - 2 poached eggs on white plastic bread smothered in hollandaise sauce. The eggs are totally raw in the middle as well as my children's. The worst eggs I have ever seen!! Needless to say they were not eaten. Not appetising.

We proceeded to the pool after dropping our children at the kids club which they loved. We had a lovely relaxing day until my husband was asked to remove the t shirt that he was swimming in due to his sunburn as it was deemed unhygienic by the hotel. The t shirt was freshly laundered and was not worn beforehand, there were several others in t-shirts in the pool. The staff were not interested in his explanation.

Early Sunday morning I called reception to double check our brunch time and they told me that there was no table for us even though we had booked on Thursday and they might fit us in for lunch at the cafe. I wasn't happy with this so asked if they could do something about it, brunch was from 11am until 3pm. They called back and said we could eat our brunch from 11am until 1pm or 1pm until 3pm - I felt this was not acceptable to get half a brunch so I told them this needed to be resolved - this was at 10.30am. They called back at 10:45 to confirm we could have our full brunch at Soleil as per our package. At this time we left our room to check out then enjoy our brunch, I was checking out but there were so many problems with the bill, we had been charged for every meal as well as "valentines day packages" which none knew what they were, I asked them to fix the bill whilst we were eating brunch which they agreed. We walked over to the golf buggies to the designated waiting area (where there was no line) and waited to a couple of minutes only to have the staff forward an Indonesian lady in from of us to the next available buggy. We were so infuriated by this I asked the staff why this was and she simply replied "yes" over and over. The Indonesian guest was then making abusive comments to my family and I which was very uncomfortable. I complained about the lack of empathy to the front desk and they were helpful and quickly organised a new buggy for us. If it wasn't for the disappointment of our children we would have gone home at this point. We arrived at the brunch to find the Indonesian guest calling us vulgar names and being so loud and abusive to me and my family, my children were so distraught.

During our weekend there was not one staff member who showed any empathy or understanding about the issues we had during our stay. I tried to discuss this upon checkout but they were not interested. We were not spoken to by management or given any explanation or apology.

The staff in general were fantastic but when it comes to dealing with problems they have no idea - they are basically like smiling robots and cant think outside the box. Whoever is in management has no idea at all on customer service.

The hotel facilities, apart from not enough shade around the pool area, were good. The hotel is too big I feel and has no personality. It is run as a business and there is no personal touch. There are much nicer choices here with the typical warm Balinese hospitality who actually care about their guests and their needs.

If you choose to stay here make sure you check your reservation and any inclusions you may have very carefully!!

6 Thank potter251173