“Perfect”

Samabe Bali Suites & Villas
Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in Nusa Dua
“Perfect”
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Just what the doctor ordered. We have worked in travel sales for six years, seen many hotels and resorts around the world and we feel right a home here. Huge villas. Wonderfully appointed. Great resort facilities. Friendly staff. Can't go wrong

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ralf L, General Manager at Samabe Bali Suites & Villas, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Luke H,

Warm greetings from Bali, Indonesia!

I would like to thank you for your recent stay in our brand new resort and it delights me that you feel right at home, which is exactly what the entire team strives to achieve.

Thank you for singling out our “Friendly Staff”, “Wonderfully appointed huge villa’s” and “great resort facilities”. These are great motivators for our team and will definitely be shared to all.

Ralf Luthe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed at the Samabe in July this year when they had only just opened and liked it so much that we returned for a 3 week stay in September.
The resort is in a great location being in the south of Bali, away from the mosquitoes, pollution and overpopulation of more developed areas like Seminyak yet within 20 minutes drive of the airport, the shopping and restaurants of Jimbaran and the stunning cliff top resorts of Uluwatu (which are close enough to visit for lunch or dinner). The resort's car is available to drive you to the destination of your choice, in the Nusa Dua area, in the afternoons and evenings at no charge. It's roughly a 30 minute drive to the restaurants and shopping in Seminyak. The traffic is much better now that the new freeway and underpass are open.
The best thing about this resort is the privacy and the luxury of space. There are only about 80 suites and villas spread out over a large piece of land. As all the villas and some of the suites have their own swimming pools, the main pool is deliciously empty and I was usually able to have the middle pool all to myself to do my laps (and the gym to myself to workout). My children and their friends were able to have one of the other main pools to themselves every day, so we didnt have to worry too much about disturbing the very few other guests at the pool. The suites are beautifully fitted out and enormous. We measured ours on the 3rd floor to be approx 120msq, with a shower of almost 6msq. We had two queen size beds and a single bed, so we had no trouble fitting our two children in the one suite with us which made it a very affordable luxury holiday. The suites are stunning as they are built right on the edge of the cliff with enormous windows.
Breakfast in the main restaurant is delightful as the main restaurant is very quiet (many guests must choose to breakfast in the villas) and cool, being surrounded by an acre of ponds and fountains. Many of the breakfast tables have daybeds attached, so our family was able to spend hours lingering over the very impressive mix of la carte and buffet while our kids played iPads and board games on the daybeds with their friends without troubling any other guests, as the few tables are spaced very far apart.
We stayed at Samabe for 3 weeks in July and 3 weeks in September/October but the children didn't get bored, as the hotel offers lots of complimentary activities like catamaraning, canoeing and most especially Balinese cooking classes, which we just loved! We also tried the cultural activities, wood carving and batik making. Kids club is complimentary and the lady in the kids club is fantastic as she actually sits and plays with the kids rather than just supervising and instructing them. The sports manager is also good with the kids and he took my boys out of the kids club for more sporty activities, like water polo, which they loved, on the kids club lady's day off. I can also highly recommend his 9am yoga class (also complimentary!) All minibar and non alcoholic beverages are included in the room rate, which my banana smoothie ordering (and Sprite stealing from the minibar) children enjoyed immensely!
The chef, Peter, was incredibly professional and accommodating, making special meals for my boys when they were unwell and for their friends (who had food allergies)....not to mention special afternoon teas every day when they tired of sweet things... and chocolate cakes for 3 of our birthdays!
This resort is still in its soft opening phase and some finishing was still being carried out on the staff training, beach and in the buildings while we were there. We didnt mind at all because the staff made such an enormous effort to make us happy every step of the way and the general manager is so efficient and accessible that any suggestions that I had about possible improvements to the grounds or service were instantly acted upon. Overall, the service was just amazing at every level. We cannot praise our butler, Ophan, highly enough (Ah, the luxury of having your own butler!) He did everything and more, from organising our outings, to unpacking and packing for us, to helping carry our mountain of toys to and from the pool every day. Most importantly, he became a trusted friend to our children.
I didn't try the spa but my friends, who were on the limited privileges program and paid about US$34nett for a 1 hour massage, thought it was very good value for a 5 star hotel.
We have already planned to return to Samabe for our next holiday!

Room Tip: The suites without a pool have more internal living area than the suites with a pool, so are probabl...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Julia H
Dear Julia H,

Warm greetings from Bali, Indonesia!

It was a great delight to welcome you back to Samabe Bali Resort & Villas for your second visit, and with pleasure I have read your very detailed review highlighting our facilities and services.

I am also very pleased that you were happy with your butler Ophan as well as gave praise to our Executive Chef Peter, I will make sure that your comments will be shared directly to them.

Once again thank you very much for your stay, and I hope to welcome you back home soon for your nest trip!

Ralf Luthe
jakarta
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Tomorrow is my last day here in this brand new resort. I choose this place compare to other hotel in this area is because you can see a direct view to the ocean from your bed or even your bathtub in almost every room. The hotel is quite private, cozy and the best place for relaxing. The room is very spacious with 3 sofa's and 1 extra bed. The bathroom is very nice with the bathtub overlooking to the ocean. The balcony is very plain and need decoration.

The beach need improvement, the sand is still dirty with shells and also seaweed. There is only 1 staff there to take care of everything. The hotel offer free kayaking and catamaran, they say first come first serve, so me, my wife and kids get a quick breakfast and ready at the beach by 9.30, we have wait until 11 and the staff there said that the person in charge will be ready around 2 p.m., this information should be given earlier so we dont have to wait there. Due to the wave condition at the beach, we can't use the catamaran, hmm it's quite dissapointing.

Later on I take my kids to the kids club and I think the staff there is very nice. My kids just love playing there and cant wait to go there tomorrow.

The swimming pool is small compare to other resort hotel, maybe its because this resort have a villa and suite room with private pool.

The competitive advantage of this hotel is they offer free minibar, afternoon tea and all day fresh juice, coffee/tea and soft drink.

There is a telescope in every room but the staff don't know how to operate it.

Overall, its a nice stay, the price is fair, breakfast need improvement, the staff is very warmth.
It happens to be my daughters birthday and they give us a chocolate fondue, and she loves the surprise.

Room Tip: For one bed room suites, you should check the hotel first because not in all room have a perfect vie...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank amzeeshan
Ralf L, General Manager at Samabe Bali Suites & Villas, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear amzeeshan,

Greetings from Bali!

Thank you for choosing to stay at Samabe Bali Resort & Villas! We are very happy that you and your family had a wonderful vacation. I appreciate that you pointed out some highlights of our resort: ocean view villas and guaranteed full ocean view in all of our suites and penthouse villas; and also honeymoon & birthday benefit. Thank you for your feedback with regards to our beach and telescope operation. Please rest assured that these issues have been addressed accordingly.

I am wishing that you and your family will plan another stay at Samabe the next time you visit Bali. Please contact our reservation for special promotions and any other arrangement.

Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Kind regards,
HK
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This is my first TripAdvisor review since I must share my experience about this resort. The 3 nights stay in Samabe was the worst holiday experience in my life, its a nightmare. I really want my money back (total USD1,500). If you are planning to spend USD500/ night, go other hotel (Mulia, Grand Hyatt in the area) or pay more for a villa like Banyan Tree, Alila etc.

Check-in - waited almost an hour and unprofessional customer services.
We check-in at 8 something in the evening. When we walked to the lobby and sat down to the front desk, the receptionist stared at me for seconds until I said I want to check-in. Alright, I provided them my booking.com confirmation, she said they don't have our record and kept asking me when did I make the booking. I emailed their reservation department for some questions before I make the booking and requested for late check-out for my late flight and asked any offer for our anniversary after booking. (they replied no late check-out and no offer for anniversary stay, but they said they would forward our request to reception while they have no my record by the time of check-in).

The receptionist suggested us to the sofa for a welcome drink, while my passport just left over the desk with no one care. I had asked three times how could she just left my passport on the desk without anyone care, her answers were she is taking us for the drink. After waited almost an hour, they suggest I make a deposit first and assigned a pool suite for us.

Poor room quality - humid & moldy smell, not functioned well air-con, dirty room, missing amenities, etc
We entered the room 115, I dare to say the room is not prepared. It was smelly and moldy, we questioned the staff twice, he simply ignored us. We so called settled down, we sat down on the sofa, I felt my dress a bit wet, the sofa and bedding were humid. We called them and the staff come again said it maybe humid and asked what do i want. What? we requested to change room, he said they can't do it at night and can change the beddings for us.

The air-con couldn't fix to low fan, you may choose strong wind flow on your head when you are sleeping or switch it off with stuffy room.

The next day, they showed us another room in west ring, it was even smelly than the first one, the receptionist explained its smell of the building material, wooden furniture. We asked for upgrade since they don't have another choice. Sorry, if you want upgrade due to their problems, you still have to pay. Of course, I won't waste more of my money to take the risk. They said they checked another room is available, thats 116. No smell, we chose to move. They take more than an hour to tidy up for us.

After we moved everything to 116, we found that the telescope was missed, curtain in bathroom was missed (gardeners walking outside and you bath without curtain, how romantic), bathtub with hair, ashes on desk, broken shelf in bathroom, no water boiler. As long as the room has no smell, everything is fine. There were many mosquito, and we couldn't find mosquito repeller in the room, turn out we have mosquito bite in every part of our body and couldn't sleep well.

The third day, we decided to change hotel. But they said USD100 penalty will be charged. What? then their supervisor, Robert spoke directly with us, he offered free upgrade to villa or we can waive the penalty, we chose to stay since we don't want make another reservation and move for time saving.

Villa 27, they cleaned the room for us. OK, but there were few spiders and web in toilet and bedroom, one spider was on the bed sized 2cm x 2cm. We went out in late afternoon for dinner. When we backed, other than the light in entrance and pool, the villa was dark (my experiences in other villas weren't like that). The next day, we found that the stuff from our afternoon tea (cups, plates, food waste) was just placed behind the sun chair overnight. Its terrible.

When we check-out, one of the luggage in buggy was falling to the road. Though we don't have fragile stuff inside, but you can imagine how careless they are.

Pros of the resort
1. Good Location with nice view. Around 15 minutes drives to Nusa Dua Bali Collection where have restaurants and shops. Taxi cost around 30K IDR.
2. Food was ok but small portion, buffet breakfast not many choices but there are a-la-carte choices. In-room breakfast is good.

Other points to note
1. No late check-out for late flights or pay, how ridiculous, I think this is important and never had experiences like this resort (we were offered free late check-out for our case)
2. No special offer for anniversary. (We also stayed in Le Meridien Jimbaran in this trip, they offered free upgrade for room, special decoration (towel swans with flower petals), a nice cake was ready in the room when we arrived).
3. Beach towels have stains (not only one, few placed in the rooms with stains).
4. Smelly and dirty beach. Previous review had mentioned about the beach, and they explained. So we still go this resort. Don't go there, its really dirty (lot of waste from the ocean, bottles, plastics, etc), smelly (some garbage smell), many rubbish in the caves. They do prepare some sun chairs. I dare to say you won't stay there more than five minutes if you go. It's terrible.
5. Pool in pool suite is too cool to swim.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank okepuiy
Dear okepuiy,

Greetings from Bali!

I am sad to learn that your experience at our resort was way below your expectation; however, I thank you for bringing the issues to our attention. I regret that the check in process took longer than it should have, owing partly to the confusion regarding your reservation. I have addressed this particularly with the departments concerned so as to keep our guests from unnecessary distress that may affect their entire stay.

In response to your comment regarding our room quality, I agree that many mistakes took place at your suites and villa, and I am also sorry that you experienced unfortunate incidents during your stay. All of these should not have happened at Samabe Bali Resort & Villas.
We understand that some of our guests have late departure time and therefore may require a late check out. For the purpose, our resort provides the convenience of Samabe Hospitality Lounge at the lobby area. The lounge has 3 shower facilities, a library and a mini cinema for guests’ use at no extra charge.

Without looking for an excuse, I hope you can forgive us in the light that we just opened and still are in the fine tuning stage. Please rest assured that we keep raising our bar high as to give our guests a most plesant stay. Once again, thank you for your feedback. I am sincerely hoping that what you experienced recently will not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Had a short stay there and we left with a sun-tan and a smile.

This is a new style resort with a contemporary feel.

The villas are very generous in size and well appointed with smart decor.

Food at resort restaurants (2) was good and plenty of style options: breakfast was the stand-out.

Anyone could find minor faults in a place only open for 16+ weeks. True, they are still fine-tuning operations - as things settle in, and gardens grow, it will be even more appealing. But overall for us it proved stylish, well managed and certainly, very comfortable.

Also Samabe is not over large (about 80 rooms) so you don't have to compete for space and it's easy keep the resort feeling. I realise some people may prefer a bigger scale resort with more cafes, shiny distractions - and more people. It just depends what you want.

For our visit ...it was what we need for a short rest: all the staff were very attentive, delightful - and most determined to make our stay enjoyable.

And it was.

Room Tip: Villa 19 (single bedroom) s the most private There is a daily breakfast special (back page of menu)
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Applaud
Dear Applaud,

Greetings from the luxury side of paradise!

It was wonderful to hear that you liked your villa and all other aspects of our brand new resort. Thank you for pointing out some of our features, including our spacious rooms and food & beverage options. My team and I are indeed determined to make our guests’ stay relaxing and delightful at the same time. I hope you will plan another Bali getaway with us in the near future.

Looking forward to welcoming you and your family back to Samabe!

Warmest regards,

Singapore
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

Knowing this place is brand new and just open in July, my brother was taking a risk to be the second couple this hotel ever hold wedding for. Location is about an hour from airport, near Grand Nikko and the soon to be completed Ritz Carlton. We stayed at the Indian Ocean facing suits and the view is unparalleled. My bro's villa has private pool and of coz it is facing the Indian Ocean too. All rooms are super spacious and the best thing here is, all drinks, mini bar are inclusive. So no matter where you are in the hotel, you can order non-alcoholic drinks and fruit anytime. There is a telescope in the room for star gazing and I love it. The free flow a la cart plus buffet breakfast has a very wide variety of selection with high quality. After all, just stay here doing nothing but relax has perfectly rejuvenated both me and my 7 months pregnant wife. We love it here.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Bobbie C
Ralf L, General Manager at Samabe Bali Suites & Villas, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear Bobby,

Greetings from the luxury side of paradise!

First of all, I would like to congratulate Billy and Carmen on their wedding, and wish them all the best. We were certainly honored to be given the trust and to be part of their memorable day.

Thank you for writing such positive feedback and pointing out some highlights of our service. I am truly happy to learn that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay in our beach resort. My team and I hope that we will welcome you back again to Samabe in the near future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I did not stay at this resort but ate breakfast here several times and lunch once. The breakfast was fantastic. You can order from the menu and eat at the buffet also. Delicious sushi, pastries, fruit, eggs etc. A chocolate fountain added extra luxury! Lunch was delicious and the view from the restaurant was beautiful. The only complaint is with the drinks. Our food was served before our drinks arrived at lunch and the staff seem to struggle with Western drinks such as wine; not sure which glasses to provide etc.
Overall the staff were extremely friendly and always greeted us with a smile.
This resort will be lovely once it is finished.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 705Lynz
Dear 75Lynz,

Greetings from Samabe Bali Resort & Villas!

Thank you for having a taste of our food & beverage selection. I appreciate your constructive feedback with regards to our service flow. I have communicated this matter to our F & B Director who has taken measured steps and given necessary training to all staff concerned to ensure smooth operation. Once again, thank you for bringing this to my attention.
We’re looking forward to your next visit to Samabe.