“A very lovely stay”

Ranked #34 of 54 Hotels in Nusa Dua
Baltimore
“A very lovely stay”
Reviewed 16 January 2011

All of the wonderful reviews Ellie's receives are legit.

We stayed for 12 nights and, by the end, felt like family. The staff are always happy to give advice, recommendations, offer a towel, make you a cocktail, or order your dinner in Indonesian! Everyone tries to ensure you have a pleasant stay and I never once felt hurried or pressured by any of the staff. When the internet went down due to a severe storm in the evening, we played cards with the staff and learned new games and card tricks.

However, just like most families, there are good aspects and edges that could be smoothed out. Below I list some of these:

Good attributes:

1) Free Wifi. I can't believe the 5 star hotels in Nusa Dua charge $15 a day for Wifi. Ellie's is free. The signal can be picked up in the lobby, by the pool, and in the dining area 24-7.

2) Free or cheap delivery of food from local restaurants. Because Ellie's only serves breakfast (which is very good) you can have food delivered and Ellie's staff will serve it to on nice hotel platters, making for a very enjoyable experience. This is a great service and really helps to keep costs down for a traveler!

3) Four pillows on the bed. I can't tell you how many budget hotels skimp on the bedding. The beds and pillows are very clean and comfortable.

4) Free pool cabana. Again, the 5 stars charge $25 a day to use them. Ellie's "cabanas" are two lounge chairs with well-used cushions and umbrellas. Comfy and effective!

5) Fair price cocktails. Liquor is expensive in Bali. If you weren't able to score some in Duty Free, Ellie's has a standard list of cocktails for about 50000 rph a glass. 5 star hotels offer the same cocktails at 110000.

Information to help you plan a great stay:

1) We stayed in a "mountain view" room. The view was really of a local garbage dump. This was only a minor inconvenience to us since we used the common spaces during our stay.

2) Less than bare minimum toiletries in the bathroom. You are provided with one small round of soap, one small jar of shampoo which was filled from an economy bottle, and one similar small jar of lotion. There is no comb, brush, or hair dryer. Also, the towels here are not plush hotel towels, but are comparable to heavily used towels you may have at home. Sometimes the bath towels are replenished in sets of two, other times three. At times only one washcloth is given - I guess this has to do with line drying the towels and the number of guests? Also, the bathrooms have the typical deterioration due to heavy use, island construction, and hot and humid temperatures. (I will provide photographs.) There was very little water pressure in the shower. If toiletries matter to you (I admit, they do to me), bring your own.

3) The pool seems to be professionally cleaned only once a week. This means there is regularly debris in the pool - I find it fun to scoop up the tropical leaves and flowers, but if you need a pristine pool, this might bother you. In between professional cleanings, the staff regularly skim the surface water of the pool, but the bottom does collect debris.

4) Because there is only one main attendant on duty at a time, there are frequently periods where there is no one at the front desk to assist you. This is because the attendant is providing towels to other guests, plating delivered food, or skimming the pool. Get on island time and be patient (they can't hear the bell placed on the desk anyway). Or, order/inquire at least an hour before you become desperate.

5) The location. This has been mentioned in reviews before, and the location really is Ellie's only significant drawback. A taxi to Geger beach is about 28000, to Padang Padang about 78000, and Seminyak is about 78000. Often times it is difficult (impossible) to get a metered taxi back to the hotel and you are forced to take local, unmetered, cars. These local drivers will quote a price that is double what your cab cost. Haggle. You can usually get them down to around where the cab was. Better yet - avoid local transport and walk to the nearest hotel and hail a cab from the street, or arrange for the cab driver who took you to the beach to come pick you up at an agreed upon time. - All this to say, taxi's aren't THAT cheap, so factor that into your decision to stay in a location like Ellie's.

I want to reiterate again what a lovely time we had at Ellie's. My intention in posting the "how to plan" items was not to, as the Balinese say "Break their life", but to give other travelers the opportunity to plan wisely and know what to expect.

Should we return to Bali, you will find us staying at Ellie's.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 January 2011

We came here on our honeymoon in April 2010 and again for a long weekend in December. We really enjoyed staying at Ellie's, the owners and staff are so friendly and will do their best to help you with anything you might need. The rooms are clean and spacious and though it is small we never had any problems finding a lounger by the pool! They have a good breakfast selection and drinks/snacks available; there is no evening meals but you can order in or jump in a cab to nearby Kuta, Jimbaran or Nusa Dua for a great value meal. If you are a 5* person who likes to be waited on, this might not be the place for you, but if you are looking for a clean, friendly b&b to base yourself in Nusa Dua, we can't recommend it highly enough!

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Lippo Karawaci
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Where to begin… My family and I had spent five days at Ellie’s. Upon arrival, we were greeted by the incredibly amiable hotel manager, David. After chatting with David for a while, we were escorted to our room and given some basic information about the hotel. There are eight rooms in the hotel. We were located on the bottom right floor, very close to the pool. Please see some of our pictures!

Our room was well suited for our needs and it was clean. We had a desk, wardrobe, nightstand, and queen-size bed. The television was a bit small, but it worked, and the vast selection of DVD’s worked well for late-night entertainment or dreary days, which were few and far between. The refrigerator had about 4-5 soft drinks, complimentary water, and two beers. It was stocked daily.

I was surprised that our room did not have a telephone, but after a few nights, I had found that it wasn’t necessary. The only purpose for a telephone in a hotel, as I see it, is to order food or complain about service/accommodations. Considering the close proximity between the hotel and the front desk, this was not a problem. If you really need a phone, bring your hand phone.

Let’s talk about food… Ellie’s offers a wonderful breakfast selection. I have posted a picture of the menu. If you can’t see my picture, just know that you receive several Western options, coffee and fresh juice drinks. Ellie’s does not offer lunch or dinner from its kitchen. However, you can order many different types of food from surroundings restaurants. Once delivered, Ellie’s will serve the food on their own dishes or you can bring it back to your room. Had we not known we were ordering from an outside restaurant, we would not have known that Ellie’s didn’t prepare it. Across from Ellie’s you will find a wonderful pork restaurant with amazing prices. The food is it to die for. Ask David about prices, as they’re not listed on the restaurant’s menu.

There were four poolside lounge chairs, and during our stay, they were never full. The pool’s shallow area was sufficient for our 8-year-old son. I’m 5’11, and I could stand in the deep end. The pool was always clean, partially shaded, and relaxing. The roof-top terrace…

When you journey to the backside of the hotel, pass a few guest doors, and travel up a few flights of stairs, you’ll find the rooftop terrace. Did you hear that? I think I heard birds and waterfalls when I typed “rooftop terrace.” :) Well, there are no waterfalls, but you can definitely see and hear birds.

The terrace offers an amazing view of the surrounding villages and bay. There’s something special about hanging out on a quiet rooftop, sun pouring in, and a warm breeze setting the tone for a good book or nap. Although I did not have one, there was a massage table, and according to some of the other reviews, you can get a massage.
Kids… Aside from my son, there were no other younger kids (<16 Years). All of the staff were incredibly friendly to my son. My son felt secure speaking with the staff and moving independently throughout the grounds. Definitely a reassuring element.

The overall atmosphere was, at first, difficult to get my head around. Quite honestly, I’m accustomed to hotels, room service, and impersonal staff satisfying my every request. Ellie’s is different. If I had to sum up Ellie’s in a word, the most sophisticated, profoundly descriptive word I could muster up is, chill. It’s a chilled out environment. I actually felt as though I were staying at a family member’s house. This, of course, would assume that I had a normal family, which I don’t. If I did, Ellie’s would be it!

If I wanted privacy, I had it. If I wanted conversation, I had it. If I wanted something, I got it. Unlike some Bali hotels/villas, the staff weren’t there to sell me tours or adventures. Granted, they had an abundant amount of information about surrounding sites, events, and places to visit. As an often suspicious American, I would hesitate to ask a Bali hotel to find me a travel package, as I’m paranoid they’re getting a kickback and I’ll end up paying more in the end. Of course, I’m probably in the minority with my paranoia. Whatever the case, my paranoia was unfounded at Ellie’s. They’re just good people and they’re ready to help.

I was in the market for a road bike, as I am unable to purchase my size in Jakarta (I currently live in Jakarta). David took about an hour of his time to show me a new shop down the road from the hotel. Unfortunately, the bikes were too small. Made (spelling), one of the English-speaking national staff, met me in Kuta close to his home on his day off. He took about an hour and half to walk me to two bike locations. Good stuff…

The location is not on the beach. You can’t even walk to the beach, albeit I had journeyed across the street, through a village where I had chatted up the locals and found the bay. If you’re looking to walk out of your hotel onto the beach, Ellie’s isn’t for you. We were there five days and visited the beach once. The hotel provided transport for a small fee. It took about 10 minutes to the beach. Depending upon traffic, it’ll take you about 10-15 minutes to Kuta via taxi. If you wish to avoid taxis, and are ready to brave the roads, you can rent motorbikes for your entire stay. Ellie’s can arrange the rental.

All in all, I’m satisfied with my stay at Ellie’s. I will definitely stay there during another trip to Bali…soon I hope! :)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I stayed in Ellies at the beginning of November for one week and truly enjoyed myself.
I travelled alone for the first time in my life which worried me a little initially but the minute I was in Ellies I felt very welcome and not alone. The stuff introduced me to other guests and they were overall extremly helpful , very friendly and gave great recommendations on what to do. I really loved the breakfast which was a choice of different things like pancakes, muesli, eggs, fresh fruit etc. The rooms were always very clean and are nicely decorated. I gave laundry to the stuff and the next day I had everything fresh and ironed in my room for a very good price.
The highlight of my stay in Ellies was going paragliding . They offer at the rezeption to arrange the paragliding adventure and David the manager who paraglides himself took me there. It was so much fun! Overall I can really recommend Ellies and I had a great time staying there!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 January 2011

We stayed at Ellie's when staying at Bali's for a long weekend. The location of the hotel is not the best one - you basically need a taxi/driver to go anywhere. However, if you're willing to be dependant of taxis, there is no problem. With a taxi, the closest beaches and restaurants can be reached in a few minutes. The hotel has nice, clean rooms and a beautiful garden with a small swimming pool. We also enjoyed the breakfast menu, especially the fresh fruits with yogurt and the french toast. The lack of TV channels is compensated with a huge library of DVDs, nice to have if a rainy day surprises. All in all, good value for the resonable room prices.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Trnava, Slovakia
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We stayed at the Ellies in november 2010 and we can highly recommend it!
The location is good, it is not on the beach but with Blue bird taxi you can go wherever you want to, it is really cheap.
The rooms are nice and clean, with amazing view.
The best thing about Ellies is that they will help you with everything. The prices in Bali are very cheap but you have to know what is normal price and average price for ir. Unless you will pay 25 dollars for one dress instead of 5 dollars, as we did :/
The breakfast was delicious, i really liked the pancakes with yogurt and fruits.
The very good restaurant close to the hotel is PepeNero, it is italian, for very good price and delicious! you can even order a take way to the hotel.
The Geger beach was recommended to us and this beach was the best one! Not too crowded and with good food. We ate at Warung Barong 888.
We also took a trip to Ubud with one of the receptionist (I think his name was Mane , but I am not really sure) and it was very nice.
At the end of a stay we had few problems so we had to to go the hospital and David (the owner) helped us with everything. He even gave us a bill for transport to the hospital, that we needed for insurance company, because balinese taxi drivers never give you a bill!
I highly recommend this hotel, and I hope we will come back soon!!!!

Peta and Ivan

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 December 2010

I booked a room at Ellie's for two nights recently when I decided to take a last-minute trip to Bali to unwind after a busy year. At US$45 a night, I wasn't expecting a lot and I just wanted somewhere clean and safe to sleep, but Ellie's delivered this and more.

If you are looking for a beach resort with a huge pool, private beach and restaurants, Ellie's is not the place for you in Bali. But what it lacks in this area, it makes up for in service and I have to commend the owners David and Caroline and their staff for delivering personable, five-star service. I've stayed at a lot of five-star hotels this year for business, and most of them cant beat Ellie's in terms of sincerity and genuinity.

I had only two nights in Bali and did not read up much about it before I arrived, but David was great with recommendations. He assured me that squeezing in a trip to Ubud on my first day wasn't out of the question and very promptly arranged a driver to take me there. I spent half a day in Ubud, and another day at Seminyak and Ulu Watu, with the help of the driver that David arranged.

Location-wise, Ellie's is not within walking distance of any beach but if you're taking a cab or using a driver, it isnt really a problem. If you are, however, looking for a hotel in the thick of the action, Ellie's is probably not for you. But bear in mind you'd have to pay a lot more elsewhere! The hotel is set in a residential area, reachable through a very narrow alley from the main road. If you're coming back at night in a car or taxi, safety isnt an issue. I probably wont walk through the alley alone at night though!

Once inside the hotel, I felt safe and at home, which is important for a lone female traveller. Ellie's doesnt serve any food at night but they can order takeaway for you from a range of restaurants. The staff at the reception ordered dinner for me on both nights, and the food was delivered in about 20 minutes. I had Indonesian on the first night and Italian on the second - both meals were really good.

My room was clean and comfortable with all the basics taken care of. There were plenty of towels, basic toiletries like shampoo and soap, coffee and tea, hairdryer. No TV channels in room but I heard there is a DVD library which I did not use since I was reading most of the time.

Breakfast was lovely and delicious. It took a while to get service on my first morning there - it looked like they were understaffed, probably because there was a big family of about 10 having breakfast and keeping the staff busy. The staff who eventually served me was however very apologetic and the food was served very promptly. On my second day, I was the only person at the breakfast area and it felt like I had my own private villa!

There is a bar at the rooftop terrace with a view of the sea but it wasnt open both nights when I was there, even though the staff had told me it's open 24-7 (which I found hard to believe since there are only eight rooms in Ellie's and there probably aren't enough people drinking at any one time!) I was puzzled to find it closed but I wasnt dying for a drink so I just went back to my room.

At US$45 a night with breakfast, Ellie's is amazing value. I can't find much to complain about the place, except perhaps I wish they had wi-fi in the rooms. The connectivity is best in the reception, and you can use it as well in the dining area (if you sit closer to the reception area) but that's about it. Also, the water flow from the shower isnt that strong but it didnt really bother me.

If you want to experience Bali on a budget but you're still looking for some great Balinese hospitality, Ellie's is the place to go! This is no beach resort, but I never failed to feel at home.

• Stayed December 2010