“Hotel with mini zoo and near the beach with dolphins”

Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Singaraja
Surabaya, Indonesia
“Hotel with mini zoo and near the beach with dolphins”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This hotel has nice exterior, Balinese style, and lots of green areas. The room is spacious, but the overal interior is dingy. There's a shelf made of ceramics where we can use for luggage and clothes. We can change clothes inside the room as well. Without door, just a curtain. The bathroom is also spacious with bathtub, but unattractive. The staff are friendly.

It might be good for young children as they have a mini zoo. Only I think keeping animals like snake, iguana, crocodile inside the hotel is pretty scary, even they put notice "keep distance". You know how children are! They also have deers, butterflies, peacocks, rabbits, and that's interesting. The good thing is we can enjoy some dolphins attraction although it isn't extraordinary. Children can take photos touching the dolphins, but it costs around IDR 500,000/pax. Isn't it overpriced? We're allowed to swim with the dolphins under the trainer's instruction, but it isn't free either. Not sure how much, but must be more than taking photos.

We tried afternoon tea. The quantity isn't adquate for 5 people, but that's fine. Only we had some boiled cassava and some boiled peanuts. The cassava is nice, but the peanuts are awful, many are watery without nuts in it. However, it's not a big problem as it's not the main purpose. I didn't try the breakfast, and let the other family members have it. They said it's just standard.

The location is great, about 5' walk to the beach. We can hire a boat to go further to see the dolphins. It's better to start a bit early. We were lucky that the dolphins coming out of the sea at that time.

Will I stay here again for my next visit to Bali? Probably no.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Fransisca N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The only reason I booked the hotel was because of the dolphins. I had wanted my daughter to swim with them but I had not realised that I needed to book beforehand. The only availability they had was for 1:00pm and we unfortunately had to leave before then. We did see the show and the handlers did let my daughter touch the dolphins which was very nice.

I have never seen captured dolphins before so I can't comment as to whether their living conditions were dismal but I can assure you that the human conditions are!

We were given Room 2 which was located in front of the restaurant and pool area. The room had a distinctive odour which I'd never smelled before and never want to smell again. I discovered that there was a cheap purple air freshener taped to the air conditioning unit that was very likely the cause. The thing is, the grounds had a different, but still unappealing smell too. The bathroom was just as repulsive. I'm surprised no one has mentioned how smelly the entire hotel was. I was glad I was only staying the one night.

I was told I could access the wifi from outside our room in the restaurant area from the man at check-in but I was advised by the porter when we were walking down to the room that it wasn't working in that area.

The room itself was fine, the four poster wooden bed squeaked every time we moved which was not so fine. But the bathroom was a sight to behold! First of all it was enormous with a big spa bathtub and a shower area beside it. The toilet was beside the door and there was a large double sink. So far, so good right?

Then I looked a little closer.

The room had two small fluorescent bulbs for lighting. The grouting was in a dire state, what wasn't mouldy was missing. The small shower area located beside the bathtub had a big showerhead that we never used because of the tiny streams of water coming of it. The original bath shower head must have broken and it had been replaced with a cheap plastic one that we used to take a shower. When I looked at the grotty bathtub I knew I'd never be taking a bath there. Also, I noticed that the entire toilet moved when my daughter shifted around on it like it hadn't been properly fixed to the floor. The toilet itself looked dingy and brown around the edges.

I was in another hotel in Kuta where I noticed the horrible job they did on the bathroom--the tiling and the grouting were in a terrible state and the hotel was brand new! So maybe someone should be teaching the Balinese how to build a better bathroom?

The worst thing about the bathroom happened in the morning when my daughter had a shower. The water turned brown as she was showering. This was the same for all the taps and when I flushed the toilet. When I told the woman at reception when I was checking out she asked why I hadn't called (I was naked at the time was why) but she didn't give any explanation as to why the water had turned brown. It was completely disgusting and took a long time to finally run clear.

The breakfast was another horrible joke. There was two types of "juice". One was fluorescent orange, the other a fluorescent green! And neither of them tasted remotely like juice. The butter, fluorescent orange pineapple jam and chocolate spread were in big uncovered bowls rather than being in individual packets as you would normally get elsewhere. The counter was full of little spiders and those tiny bugs that are everywhere in Bali. The coffee was horrible and the egg station was also very dirty. Perhaps they had no cleaning cloths at the Melka.

At the end of the stay, I went to pay by credit card and I was advised that I would incur a 2% credit card charge. I refused to pay it as I had not been advised of it previously, nor had it been written anywhere on either the Booking.com website nor on the Melka's own website. Besides which, the place is over-priced for what you actually get.

If you really want to see the dolphin show, I think it's a better idea to book elsewhere and come in to see the show. It's expensive for what it is and the lack of hygiene and especially all the awful smells should be enough to put anyone off.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Cheekymissy

Travellers are raving about these Singaraja hotels

UK
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We went to this hotel in mid-July 2012 purely to swim with the dolphins in the hotel pool. There are other animals and birds in cages and open compounds around the hotel, but they were of less interest to us. There is access through the back of the hotel to the black sand beach which had more rubbish on it than we liked; we stayed by the pool.

The website states that the price to swim with the dolphins is US$50, but in fact it is 550,000 Rupiah, so we actually paid about US$61. For this you get 20 minutes in the pool with two dolphins, two trainers and a total of four customers.

The customers stand in the water at the side of the pool, taking it in turns to do various things with the two dolphins available on the day – this includes stroking them, then holding on to their upper fins while they pull you once around the pool, shaking hands with them, then finally being propelled around the pool by the dolphins pushing on the soles of your feet from behind. Photo opportunities abound, so, if there are two of you, I recommend that you make separate bookings, so that one can be in the pool and the other take photos. At the end of the session, you will be given three free photos taken by the staff plus a certificate. Disappointments? It was more expensive than we had thought, it was not one-on-one, and it was for a shorter period than we had expected; was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY - all the photos show me grinning from ear to ear.

We had a suite which was large and contained a four poster bed with mosquito net. Most of the rooms are close to the pool, which also contains a children's pool. This can be quite noisy during the daytime. The food was good but not great, breakfast is served as a buffet. We happened to visit while a lot of young people were being trained as waiters / waitresses; this led to a number of amusing mistakes as they did not know the menu.

The best meal that we had in Lovina was at a bakery / delicatessan on the main road - “Lovina Bakery”. It is run by a German gentleman and serves great meals in a calm, air conditioned environment. We found the upstairs room to be too near the kitchen smells and too hot, but downstairs is delightful. Leave the hotel, turn right and the bakery is on your right after about 200 metres, before the traffic lights.

Room Tip: Be careful how close to the pool your room is, it can be noisy
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trimsite
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed 17 July 2012

A gut feeling made me want to go to Lovina after a meditation retreat in Ubud. To swim with dolphins was a bonus I had not considered. My sister booked the hotel and although the rooms and the hotel is not luxury 5 star, it was the perfect hotel for us. The rooms were rather basic, but nice and clean. The ones that overlook the dolphin pool, were the best rooms to book. The service, friendliness, smiles and helpfulness we received were more than 5 star. The highlight of course was the dolphin swim, a magical experience no matter how jaded you are. I watched many people swimming with the dolphins and the delight and happiness on everyone's face was so lovely to see.
The staff were all so lovely and really helpful, especially Wayan at the bar who made the best frozen margaritas I have ever had, and the guys at the dolphin pool, such fantastic people who made every day one of laughter and smiles. Special thanks to Susilo and Susanto who did our dolphin swim and made sure my sister and I had such a magical experience. I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a wonderful dolphin experience.

Room Tip: Get rooms overlooking the dolphin pool, you get to watch the dolphins all day.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Ray G
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Oh my god, the room is terrible! No phone, the lights are burnt and they have spooky deco in the toilet. Breakfast is no frill and the lobby lights are turned off at night! But if you can over come all these, the mini zoo and dolphins in the pool are really very interesting. And the beach is really close thus very accessible to fishermen ready to give you a ride in their fishing boats to chase the wild dolphins in the sea! The kids will love it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LemonCookie
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I would like to thank you so much for all the negative reviews that I came to this hotel with very very low expectation. I am taking their dolphin therapy package for 5 nights. And it is better than I was expected. My austistic daughter love the dolphin on her first day. The therapists are great people. They know what they are doing. This is Indonesia, by looking at the living standard of locals people around. These animals are in a much better condition. My older daughter loves the animals there.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Zihanong
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We stayed here with our 2 kids for US $80 a night which is very cheap considering breakfast included but keep in mind you pay for what you pay for what you get. The room was average, our toilet played up as soon as we arrived & we had umpteen maintenance men coming to fix it. Am sure it was all due to lack maintaining their septic system. We found staff very friendly & willing to help.
As our kids were small they accommodated them by putting a single mattress on the floor. The kids loved it here. They resort had otter shows, dolphin shows, snakes, sharks, & other various animals plus offered pony rides & swimming with the dolphins.
One of the dolphins looked sick & as an animal lover it also made me sad to see the dolphins kept in a pool about twice the size as your average backyard pool. There is also a kids club which has glass windows on either side running pretty much the length of the room which is fantastic as you can always wander over to quickly check what your child is up to without disturbing them.
All in all the kids loved it here which is the only reason we chose to stay here. They definitely would love to go back & I'm sure we'll come for a visit soon & give them the option of staying here.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Ladada2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Singaraja
Adirama Beach Hotel
#9 of 12 in Singaraja
Aneka Lovina Beach Hotel
Aneka Lovina Beach Hotel
#3 of 12 in Singaraja

Been to Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!