“NOT WORTH IT.”

Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Singaraja
Reviewed 8 March 2013

$us70 per night for a "De-Luxe" room that had no phone, (the in-room book stated you could order room service. I'm not sure how as they didn't even give us a tin can & string.) There also was no refrigerator. Reception was extremely dark. The food was dreadful. They couldn't even cook Indonesian food properly let alone anything else. The Zoo was appalling with badly kept cages & amenities. The dolphin show was ok. Swimming with the dolphins was great but not quite what I expected. The only good thing I can say about the place was the staff were friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Liz F

Reviewed 1 February 2013

Read a lot reviews bout this hotel but I would say it was alright with the price you are paying.
Stay there for a night on January and it was OK experience.
I stayed in room 31 Deluxe room, the room is quite spacious and the Dolphin show was good. The air conditional not working properly, the toilet had stinky smell and the bird in the mini zoo beside the room was noisy... Other than that, that was alright.
We had afternoon tea when we arrive ... food wasn't good but I like the Ginger tea! Breakfast wasn't good either. However, it is OK to stay for a night.

Room Tip: Room 31 Air Con was not working properly and the birds are noisy in the mini zoo. Dolphins are ado...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank June K
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The only reason I stayed in this hotel was This was the only hotel that you could swim with the dolphin in the swimming pool. Before I had had no idea about this hotel at all. I booked this hotel thru the travel agent, and they choosed this hotel for me.

In the term of location, Lovina in general and this hotel specifically were out of nowhere. around 2.5 hour drive from the city centre (kuta and its surroundings). The only attractions of this area was the dolphins. That was it.

When I came to the hotel,and given the room key. I thought it was a very pleasant hotel.
It was surrounded by lush gardens, mini zoo and swimming pool with some touches of Bali exterior.

But, when I opened the door and entered the room. I found that this was the spoockiest room I have ever stayed in my entirely life until this time being. Let me describe it to you :

It was a huge bed rooms with a big antique still bed.
The room was equipped with many antique style old color big furniture.
Decorated with many goddess statues on the wall and on the table.
They had a very tall roofing with ceiling, so we can see many wooden bar above our heads.
The tile was dark red that give an impression of darkness.
And the worst thing is the lighting were very dim and very gloomy.
Seems we were staying with dracula castle with bad taste of design.
Not only that, they also provided another extra room, an isle like rooms, with the wall and tiles were all ceramic with the dark red color. Can you imagine that.
Also there were a reception/ foyer rooms with big working table like the table in the oval room white house with a very dark lighting.

In the term of room I stayed during the night, very unrecommended otherwise you are ready to dare yourself just like in the haunted house.

The swimming pools were good nice, clean and maintained.
I tried the spa treatment, the spa room and treatment were nice. And with very reasonable too for 1 hour full body treatment.

Breakfast not good. They didn't provide range of choices with quite a poor taste.

The mini zoo they were kept talking about it was not less that some common animals in the poor condition cage for display.

The location itself was isolated from anywhere. We had to walk in the darkness of evening to nowhere land to find something to eat. While asking the hotel staff the recommended place to eat outside the hotel was not helping either. At last we found (maybe the only one within 1mile radius) a place to eat.

The only thing that entertained us was the swimming with the dolphins for our children. It was fun and unforgettable memory for them within a very high price and short time (20 minutes) only.

Before you go to this place, just keep in your mind to minimize your expectation and prepare yourself.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2012

It s very nice place to stay :) Swimming and feel the energy of dolphins :) Is an excellent hotel to stay with family :) I don't like to wright the negative comments,because its not my style :) I enjoyed my stay here very much :)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank AlmerEstonia
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This hotel has nice exterior, Balinese style, and lots of green areas. The room is spacious, but the overal interior is dingy. There's a shelf made of ceramics where we can use for luggage and clothes. We can change clothes inside the room as well. Without door, just a curtain. The bathroom is also spacious with bathtub, but unattractive. The staff are friendly.

It might be good for young children as they have a mini zoo. Only I think keeping animals like snake, iguana, crocodile inside the hotel is pretty scary, even they put notice "keep distance". You know how children are! They also have deers, butterflies, peacocks, rabbits, and that's interesting. The good thing is we can enjoy some dolphins attraction although it isn't extraordinary. Children can take photos touching the dolphins, but it costs around IDR 500,000/pax. Isn't it overpriced? We're allowed to swim with the dolphins under the trainer's instruction, but it isn't free either. Not sure how much, but must be more than taking photos.

We tried afternoon tea. The quantity isn't adquate for 5 people, but that's fine. Only we had some boiled cassava and some boiled peanuts. The cassava is nice, but the peanuts are awful, many are watery without nuts in it. However, it's not a big problem as it's not the main purpose. I didn't try the breakfast, and let the other family members have it. They said it's just standard.

The location is great, about 5' walk to the beach. We can hire a boat to go further to see the dolphins. It's better to start a bit early. We were lucky that the dolphins coming out of the sea at that time.

Will I stay here again for my next visit to Bali? Probably no.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Fransisca N
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The only reason I booked the hotel was because of the dolphins. I had wanted my daughter to swim with them but I had not realised that I needed to book beforehand. The only availability they had was for 1:00pm and we unfortunately had to leave before then. We did see the show and the handlers did let my daughter touch the dolphins which was very nice.

I have never seen captured dolphins before so I can't comment as to whether their living conditions were dismal but I can assure you that the human conditions are!

We were given Room 2 which was located in front of the restaurant and pool area. The room had a distinctive odour which I'd never smelled before and never want to smell again. I discovered that there was a cheap purple air freshener taped to the air conditioning unit that was very likely the cause. The thing is, the grounds had a different, but still unappealing smell too. The bathroom was just as repulsive. I'm surprised no one has mentioned how smelly the entire hotel was. I was glad I was only staying the one night.

I was told I could access the wifi from outside our room in the restaurant area from the man at check-in but I was advised by the porter when we were walking down to the room that it wasn't working in that area.

The room itself was fine, the four poster wooden bed squeaked every time we moved which was not so fine. But the bathroom was a sight to behold! First of all it was enormous with a big spa bathtub and a shower area beside it. The toilet was beside the door and there was a large double sink. So far, so good right?

Then I looked a little closer.

The room had two small fluorescent bulbs for lighting. The grouting was in a dire state, what wasn't mouldy was missing. The small shower area located beside the bathtub had a big showerhead that we never used because of the tiny streams of water coming of it. The original bath shower head must have broken and it had been replaced with a cheap plastic one that we used to take a shower. When I looked at the grotty bathtub I knew I'd never be taking a bath there. Also, I noticed that the entire toilet moved when my daughter shifted around on it like it hadn't been properly fixed to the floor. The toilet itself looked dingy and brown around the edges.

I was in another hotel in Kuta where I noticed the horrible job they did on the bathroom--the tiling and the grouting were in a terrible state and the hotel was brand new! So maybe someone should be teaching the Balinese how to build a better bathroom?

The worst thing about the bathroom happened in the morning when my daughter had a shower. The water turned brown as she was showering. This was the same for all the taps and when I flushed the toilet. When I told the woman at reception when I was checking out she asked why I hadn't called (I was naked at the time was why) but she didn't give any explanation as to why the water had turned brown. It was completely disgusting and took a long time to finally run clear.

The breakfast was another horrible joke. There was two types of "juice". One was fluorescent orange, the other a fluorescent green! And neither of them tasted remotely like juice. The butter, fluorescent orange pineapple jam and chocolate spread were in big uncovered bowls rather than being in individual packets as you would normally get elsewhere. The counter was full of little spiders and those tiny bugs that are everywhere in Bali. The coffee was horrible and the egg station was also very dirty. Perhaps they had no cleaning cloths at the Melka.

At the end of the stay, I went to pay by credit card and I was advised that I would incur a 2% credit card charge. I refused to pay it as I had not been advised of it previously, nor had it been written anywhere on either the Booking.com website nor on the Melka's own website. Besides which, the place is over-priced for what you actually get.

If you really want to see the dolphin show, I think it's a better idea to book elsewhere and come in to see the show. It's expensive for what it is and the lack of hygiene and especially all the awful smells should be enough to put anyone off.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Cheekymissy
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We went to this hotel in mid-July 2012 purely to swim with the dolphins in the hotel pool. There are other animals and birds in cages and open compounds around the hotel, but they were of less interest to us. There is access through the back of the hotel to the black sand beach which had more rubbish on it than we liked; we stayed by the pool.

The website states that the price to swim with the dolphins is US$50, but in fact it is 550,000 Rupiah, so we actually paid about US$61. For this you get 20 minutes in the pool with two dolphins, two trainers and a total of four customers.

The customers stand in the water at the side of the pool, taking it in turns to do various things with the two dolphins available on the day – this includes stroking them, then holding on to their upper fins while they pull you once around the pool, shaking hands with them, then finally being propelled around the pool by the dolphins pushing on the soles of your feet from behind. Photo opportunities abound, so, if there are two of you, I recommend that you make separate bookings, so that one can be in the pool and the other take photos. At the end of the session, you will be given three free photos taken by the staff plus a certificate. Disappointments? It was more expensive than we had thought, it was not one-on-one, and it was for a shorter period than we had expected; was it worth it? ABSOLUTELY - all the photos show me grinning from ear to ear.

We had a suite which was large and contained a four poster bed with mosquito net. Most of the rooms are close to the pool, which also contains a children's pool. This can be quite noisy during the daytime. The food was good but not great, breakfast is served as a buffet. We happened to visit while a lot of young people were being trained as waiters / waitresses; this led to a number of amusing mistakes as they did not know the menu.

The best meal that we had in Lovina was at a bakery / delicatessan on the main road - “Lovina Bakery”. It is run by a German gentleman and serves great meals in a calm, air conditioned environment. We found the upstairs room to be too near the kitchen smells and too hot, but downstairs is delightful. Leave the hotel, turn right and the bakery is on your right after about 200 metres, before the traffic lights.

Room Tip: Be careful how close to the pool your room is, it can be noisy
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trimsite
Also consider these accommodations in or near Singaraja
POP! Hotel Hardys Singaraja Square
#11 of 24 in Lovina Beach
Rambutan Boutique Hotel
Rambutan Boutique Hotel
#5 of 24 in Lovina Beach

Been to Melka Excelsior Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!