first of all: No, we don't want to condemn the zen villas. It is a great place after all, and for the most part deserves its excellent rating. The staff are friendly and helpful, the villas are a spacious dream. The "green walls" around are nice, although not as tight as to guarantee absolute privacy. But if you are not a naturist, it shouldn't bother you too much. And it is sometimes a bit noisy at night, because of the roosters crowing every few minutes, but an ear plug can also sort this out.
However, what really made us annoyed with the place was the breakfast. For some reasons no one has ever touched the topic in the reviews. Maybe they changed that only recently.
The booking includes "continental" breakfast,but doesn't specify which continent. And probably, since the management at the Zen villas is Australian, the meant the smallest continent. You get so little you can certainly not survive a hard traveller's day. They offer top-ups like eggs or fruit or local fried rice/noodles, but when you choose a top up, you won't get you continental breakfast in turn, unless you pay an additional 50000 Rp each. Not exactly a lot of money, but the price for a full two course meal with drink in a warung. Twice we left a note on our breakfast order sheet, stating that we would like bigger portions, and both times we were neglected. Instead we were (very friendly) told to order more top-ups.
The best part was that the manual we found in the villa (which was obviously outdated) stated that breakfast each morning includes continental breakfast with 2 rolls, PLUS a fruit platter and one choice of top-ups. That is more we had asked for!
We consider that ridiculous for such a place rather expensive as the Zen Villas. In Ubud we stayed at a resort that offered a luxurous all-you-can-eat buffet, and at an overall cheaper price.
leaving the villa hungry every morning in search for the next portion did not contribute to a particularly happy stay at the zen villas.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Zen Villa is a complex of beautiful private pool villas set in a quiet and lush tropical garden setting. Available as one, two, or in some cases, three bedrooms, each villa is unique, and features air-conditioned, king-size, en-suite bedrooms. The villa kitchens are well equipped, and adjoin an air-conditioned lounge area with LCD TV (cable) and DVD/CD player. A beautiful alfresco terrace is the perfect place to be served breakfast. This is an ideal resort for a couple, a family, or a group of friends - quiet and tranquil whilst being within easy reach of shops, restaurants and the beach. Guest service is our specialty. The friendly and knowledgeable team are available to assist from your first enquiry, right through to your departure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Zen Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Zen Villas Hotel Sanur
- The Zen Villas Bali/Sanur