“Are We Really Talking About The Same Place?”

Peneeda View Beach Hotel
Ranked #24 of 79 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We returned to this hotel as we'd had a magnificent experience here some years ago and were looking forward to ending our holiday on a high! We could not have been more disappointed! This place has really been let go. The paint was peeling off the pool & we could see no maintenance staff anywhere. The place had really deteriorated and was unrecognisable. We'd made our booking through Agoda and booked a 'Club Lumbung' room. We were confused and nervous when we were led away from Reception to a room situated amongst building works and rubble. The door was opened & we could not believe our eyes! It bore no resemblance to the light filled rooms in the photos! The beds were NOT covered in clean white linen but old orange worn out blankets and the room was musty and dark. When we questioned the fact that this was no where near the main hotel or pools, looked NOTHING like the photos and situated right next to building works, we were offered no apology by the 2 managers on the front desk. They said this was Club Lumbug and that if we wanted to be in the main part of the hotel, (as though they'd advertised there was even an option not to be!), we would have to pay for an upgrade. We were desperate enough to do this - until we were told that despite being low season and incredibly quiet at EVERY other hotel we stayed at, they were apparently fully booked and could only give us their most expensive room. To top it off, they quoted us a fee that was well above their published high season rates for the privilege! What a rort!!!! Needless to say, we walked away and took our complaint up with Agoda. Sadly it was only after many, many emails and finally letting Agoda know we had taken photo evidence that we were finally offered the full refund we'd been misled into paying. I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone and am very unlikely to ever use Agoda again because of this. Cheap is not necessarily best. However I will thank Paneda for helping us discover a beautiful little hotel down the road called Taman Agung - exceptionally affordable, welcoming, clean and friendly.

Room Tip: Just don't do it, and if you must, ensure you are told in writing exactly what part of the hotel...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KetutdeFringe

Reviewed 21 January 2013

My family & I stayed in lovely older hotel for 3 nights and had a great time. Located between the beach & Jl Danau Tamblingan, it is easy to way to the beach or find a comfortable bar or restaurant. Our family room was very spacious with high ceilings, wooden floors and was a very comfortable and quiet place to stay. The grounds are well maintained with many little gardens to sit in a relax or to swim in 1 of the 3 pools. The beach was clean with golden sand and the water was great for swimming. I loved the view over the water while having breakfast. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Great family rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 January 2013

My sister and I were travelling together. We stayed at Kuta initially and then onto Ubud. The last night of our holiday we went back down to Sanur to be nearer to the airport.
We had booked a TWIN ROOM on Bookings.com which was accepted by the Peneeds hotel at the rate of US$93.
They put us into a double bedded room and so we went back to reception to ask for a twin room.
They put us into a strange sort of set up with what appeared to be a child's bed in a front area of the room.
When we went to check out they tried to charge us more money, when we said no and that we expected to pay $93, they told us they upgraded us. I dont think so! They had put us down the front near the pool and right next door to a thumping building block with 2 large machines dumping and sifting rubble all day!!
NO to this place. It is grubby and very very tired. I think the pictures are very old. Even the pools looked grubby and I would not go near them.
Fridge in room has not been defrosted for a long time so could no make ice.
Only positive is its location.

Room Tip: I would not suggest this place to a fellow traveller.
7  Thank ThaiTravel
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom room for 5 nights. Overall, we had a fantastic time. The highlights included:
- good affordable babysitting for the 3 boys
- centrally located on the "beach side" of sanur
- personalised service. E.g. The restaurant staff celebrated my son's birthday by bringing him cakes and singing happy birthday to him at breakfast
- my children left shoes in room and hotel were fantastic organizing driver to return shoes to Kuta

I highly recommend this hotel. My family will definitely stay at this hotel on our return to Bali.

1  Thank aimbabe
Reviewed 18 December 2012

My 2nd time here after 2 years and glad to say that this time round, the experience was even better. Some similar positives and negatives as per the last trip, but what definitely improved over the last visit was the 1. free wi-fi (it's available ALL over Bali now) and 2. the 24 hrs free-flow of freshly ground and brewed coffee (it's actually pretty good coffee). 3. service was actually friendlier and better than last visit.

It was also good to see the hotel take its maintainance seriously. There were a couple of villas under-going complete overhaul when we stayed there- flooring, furnishing etc. were stripped and changed.

Pros:
1. good price
2. not too many units
3. great location - quieter part of Bali, near Hardy's supermarket, beachfront
4. beach front restaurant for daily breakfast
5. great service - the blinds at the beachfront were down due to rain, when we inquired if they could be raised, the staff replied that they were there to prevent rain from coming in. A little while later, once the rain had let up, the same staff came by with another to raise the blinds without any prompting or reminder.

Cons:
1. still no blinds across frosted glass in family room, which means sun light comes in at about 6am, making it difficult for kids to sleep in late.
2. some imperfections to property still e.g. bathroom door that couldn't be locked (didn't matter to me as I was staying with family, but may be important to some)

All in all, a boutique hotel for people looking for something quiet, a little quirky, nicely located, relaxed and affordable place, who are prepared to accept some imperfections.

Room Tip: For family units, ask for odd number rooms which face west. Even numbered rooms face east, meaning i...
3  Thank Leedon73
Reviewed 1 December 2012

I stayed here with a yoga retreat group. The whole experience was terrible. It might not have been so bad, if I didn't pay so much. I realize that this is a cheap hotel so had I not paid much to stay there, I would have expected a lot less. But I paid A LOT to the group leader. She made a big profit I guess. Either way, it was disgusting. I was in India last year and stayed at a few scary places. This one was close to the worst. It was filthy! I was afraid to sleep in the bed, the sheets seemed like they had not been washed in several weeks or months. I took my shoes off and my clean feet were black in about 2 minutes. The smell in the room was terrible. The breakfast was terrible. barely edible. I had a problem locking my door and thought I was going to have to sleep alone without the door being locked. I got it working in the end though after they told me I could not switch rooms. We did yoga outside by the pool and they could not even manage to clean the floor for us. It was an icky experience I hope never to repeat!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ShaktiFlow
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Started well with an upgrade to a two bedroomed villa instead of a club lumbung room. A little big for me on my own but nice to have space.

Very pleasant facilities, long narrow block. The restaurant by the beach was wonderful for breakfast and lunch. The pools were like warm baths! The villa was comfortable and air conditioning good. An issue was attended to within an hour.

Handy location, walking distance to Hardys and several restaurants on the main road.

More than happy to stay again. Good value for money for a hotel on the beach.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo