Mercure Resort Sanur
Sudamala Suites & Villas(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$146
US$119
Segara Village Hotel(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$190
Griya Santrian(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$187
US$126
Agoda.com
Kamuela Villas and Suite Sanur(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$85
Agoda.com
Prama Sanur Beach Bali(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$104
Hotels.com
US$513
US$265
2,494 results
All reviewsdeluxe roomprivate beachfree shuttleplenty of sunbedsbeach barlow tideegg stationwalk along the beachbuffet breakfastwelcome drinkrelaxing staysun loungersrestaurants and barsbeach sidepoolsbaligenius
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I stayed in the Mercure Sanur for 6 nights for a family holiday in a deluxe room. The price was on average US$125/night, including all taxes and breakfast. Note that initial prices on the Accor booking website are normally without the taxes, only the final price includes the 21% tax.

The Mercure hotels have this policy of charging different prices for different nights if the hotel is more or less busy then other days, this concept always amuses me, in my case a couple of nights were US$10 more expensive then the other ones. Well, at least you know it upon booking. Secondly, if you not pay in advance, the price of the room will always be transferred to the local Rupiah rate for your payment, the exchange rate can also be different daily.

The price of the hotel is reasonable (Bali hotels are not very cheap anymore), but I noticed that for any daily activities at the hotel you need to pay extra fees. e.g. the Tennis court is charged per hour, the kids club is chargeable, Bicycle needs to be rented per hour, basically anything you do outside the room is not included in the price, you might want to take this into consideration when checking hotels and you want to use hotel facilities. I also missed any beach activities, probably because there are plenty of local options available just outside the hotel grounds on the beach.

The resort complex consists of cottages with 4 or 6 rooms in every cottage (see my photo's). The grounds are nice, but the layout a bit confusing. The good part is that although the cottages are close to each other, you never get the feeling the site is cramped, due to the nice greenery. It gives a very private feeling.

The room itself is very simple, nicely sized. No special luxury feeling. The bed is very nice. The bathroom is small; but this, I noticed, is very common in other similar old resorts in the Sanur area (e.g. Hyatt). I think in the bathroom the original bath tub was removed and made it into a shower area, which is good. The shower has a hand shower & rain shower from the ceiling. In general the fittings are ok, but could do with a refresh. The hot water takes a long time (~3-5 minutes) to get through.

From the bathroom there is a window to the main room, which has blinds which are not supposed to be opened or closed as the pulling wires are not there (anymore?). All amenities are provided; soap, shampoo etc. One set of a large and a normal size towel per person, I missed a very small towel which you would normally expect.

In the (main) room there is nice tile floor. The furniture in the room is ok. A clothes/locker cabinet upon entrance of the room, followed by a suitcase area. A make up table (with large mirror) & (LCD) TV area with mini-bar. Next to the TV there is a sofa-bed, which can be used as sofa or as the third bed in the room. No real relaxing chair in the room, but there is a balcony with 2 chairs & a table to enjoy some nice relaxing evening between the mosquitos. The light fixtures are not well arranged for the make-up table and mirror.

The bed is nice and comfortable, nice & clean sheets. Additional reading lights for each bed and normal size bed side tables on both sides. Our room still had the original built-in air conditioner, but my kids room had a new separate air conditioner. The built-in one is kind of noisy and has the issue that if you remove the access card it goes off (with all other power), while the other (new) AC units are powered independently. Personally I do not need the air conditioner, but in order to keep the bugs (mosquitos, ants) at bay, keeping the room cool is in my opinion a must. The room is kept nice & clean, two bottles of 330ml water free per day are provided, not enough to replenish your fluids.

In the room (and I guess around the whole premises) you have access to wifi, which is free of charge with a username & password supplied by the reception. The connection is very stable, speed is good.

The hotel grounds are nice. The garden & pool are nice with plenty of chairs available at all times. There are 3 pools on the grounds, one main pool in the middle of the area, which is the most busy one. One smaller one close to the restaurant and one baby splash area. The pools are nothing special, but provide sufficient are for swimming and playing.

The beach is nice, a bit dirty, but you can swim relatively safe in the sea. Note that you can only swim with high tide, as with low tide you can basically walk to the reef. Chairs plenty available and the beach area is private for the Mercure hotel. The best part of the beach is that you get a real "local" feeling, as left & right you see small fishing boats and normal beach usage, giving a real feeling of being on holiday in a different country. Security is walking around in the beach area. Wind can be very hard making it sometimes uncomfortable to sit a the beach.

At night (after 7pm when it is dark) the hotel is completely dead. Maybe this matches the clientele of the hotel, either young (just married) couples with or without children or older couples who come for a nice quiet holiday, mainly from Europe.

The main pool is open until 9pm, but normally almost empty. The only activity is at the restaurant. I gave the dinner buffet (160000 Rupiah +21%) a miss, as a very good selection of local & western choice food for at least half the price is on walking distance available.

The choice of food in the hotel is very minimal, expected for a 4 star hotel. There is a small restaurant (piccolo) at the beach side, but I did not see anybody eat there. The breakfast (in the main restaurant) is simple but complete, although don't expect to high quality. Your typical western/french breakfast buffet, with a very limited local touch. Not a lot of variation on a daily basis, but good for a starter breakfast. My breakfast was included in the room price, although in 6 days I was checked only once for my room number.

For more choice of lunch/dinner food you need to go outside the hotel ground, either on either side of the beach or on the front of the hotel towards the other hotels. Meals cost on average somewhere between 50.000 rupiah (5 US$) to 100.000 rupiah (10US$) per person, including some drinks. The menu's are all roughly the same, some local dishes with a large amount of western food and of course some nice sea food choices.

There is no ATM at the hotel, but the close by restaurant belt (5 minutes walk) has plenty. normally they pay in 50.000 rupiah bills with a maximum of 1.5M Rupiah per time. At the airport it is common that you get 100.000 rupiah notes and can take up to 2M rupiah in one time. Foreign exchange is also widely available.

Transport to & from the airport can be arranged via the hotel, however taking a taxi from the airport with fixed prices (90.000 rupiah) and getting a metered taxi back (pending traffic 65.000 rupiah) is a very good alternative. For local transport I rented a car (250K/day drop me an email for the contacts) & drove myself. With some GPS navigation you can get everywhere very easily.

There is a spa on the grounds, which I did not use, but seems to be over priced. Simple massages on the beach are available for 10.000 rupiah. On the premises a new “yoga” facility is being built, close to the beach area. Presumably to cash in on the bali-yoga-eat-pray-love hype caused by Julia Roberts.

During my stay I had 2 major issues. One issue was that I had booked a particular room setting (one room king size bed & two rooms with 2 single beds), however upon arrival at midnight the type of room was not available anymore. Not wanting to argue at 1am at night, I accepted the 2 single beds. However I find this always a very disturbing start of my holiday, my expectations that everything is well arranged is directly damaged, The front desks excuse was that it was a busy time and other people over stayed and could not be moved from their room (why not?), in addition the excuse was that the room setting was not guaranteed by the booking. I argued that during the booking I was asked to choose between the 2 options; what's the reason to make a choice when there is no guarantee anyway? Next day I was changed to the king size bed, but even that process went not very smoothly and only with putting some pressure to get it done. Upon my checkout I followed 2 conversations of people checkin in, and they were told exactly the same stories: their room is not available. So be aware: whatever type of room you book, you are not guaranteed that you will get it.

The second issue was evenly disturbing, as a to us unknown guest of the hotel was let into our room by one of the hotel personnel without us knowing. The way we figured this out was that upon returning for lunch from the beach we found a unknown pair of sun glasses in our room. A couple of minutes later a person from the hotel personnel with the guest came to our door and asked us if we found a pair of sun glasses. Asking the person how the sun glasses even ended up in our room was followed by a unconvincing story. Basically he would not admit he broke into our room without verifying if the guest belong to this room. We brought this issue up with the front desk and we got some half boiled excuses that the person was trying to serve the customer (as she could not remember her room number), well that's fine, but not by breaking into my room. Anyway, a not very heartfelt sorry was given, I think it could have been handled a lot better (why not give us a free diner to make up?), but basically the second issue eliminates this hotel from the list of hotels to return to in the future.

In short: Nice quiet location, simple but ok rooms. Not much entertainment on the premises other then a pool. Plenty of similar resorts around this area, nothing outstanding that would bring me back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank eFencer
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Beautiful location, gorgeous property.
The staff at check-in were nice, but a little too slow. We were supposed to check in at 12..however, we arrived an hour later, and our room was still not ready. We had to wait for another hour!
Our bed was MASSIVE! we stayed in one of their deluxe rooms. However, the walls were really thin, and we could hear pretty much everything from the neighbouring rooms.
The one thing I disliked the most was the bathroom fittings; they desperately need to change all the fittings in their bathrooms. Ours were rusting!

An Accor traveller
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Reviewed 18 June 2011

Living in Indonesia, Bali is a good place to come for a holiday and some rest and relaxation. Great location only 5-10 minutes walk to loads of great restaurants / bars. The beach area was nice and the pools were great for a little exercise. Grounds were immaculate, the rooms was good. Our only comment would be the bathrooms are functional and you do not need anything more but they could do with a little bit better ventilation. Breakfast was good the morning we had it but when we arrived 'late' there was not any seats left! Staff were extremely friendly and polite. We would stay here again for sure.

Reviewed 16 June 2011

Just spent one night. All was as expected of a Mercure Hotel. Service, room and amenities all first class. A better experience than many in Bali. Did not use the restaurant but it looked good, the menu extensive and not overpriced. There are many alternative places to eat nearby if one wants to head out.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo