“Reasonably nice looking place with friendly staff, but some pest control issues!”
Review of The Ducks Nutz

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sanur
The Ducks Nutz
Ranked #78 of 136 Sanur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I don't disagree with many of the comments on here - the garden area is nice, and the rooms are simple but ok. However we didn't have a fun night here. There was a cockroach in the bathroom, and something living in the roof above our room that was making some suspect noises (we affectionately named it the 'rat-bird'). Plus we could hear scuttling in our room in the middle of the night. Maybe we were just unlucky though! On the upside the bar out front is friendly and the live band good fun. We moved next door to the B&B Kayu Subih instead - not much more expensive but a million times nicer!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank LozzaJLondon

Reviewed 13 September 2011

Fell in love with the place when I stepped through to the court yard. Very cozy and rustic, kept to the Balinese feel (even though run by Aussies) and definitely good value for your buck! Comes with breakfast too (you are given a few choices...=o)) which was not too bad. I stayed for 2 nights with a friend, after diving over 4 days in Tulamben on the North Eastern coast of Bali. We needed a more central location to do some sight seeing. This hotel is conveniently located along one of the main tourist streets in Sanur and it's not as busy or commercialized as in Kuta, but still lots of food and shopping around. So if you are looking for a quieter place to chill... this is it! The rooms are clean but the shower needs a little work (clogged) as the place is quite aged. By evening, the hot water supply is usually low.

HOWEVER, there was just one short coming at the end of my stay... In the middle of the 2nd night I was attacked by a host of "bed bugs". I had gotten a few bites on the first night but wrote it off as mosquito bites. However, I woke up in the middle of the 2nd night to dozens of angry welts all over my arms, back, neck and legs (as I was wearing a spaghetti strap tee). It itched so badly that I had to take anti-histamines and apply bug cream but that still didn't help. I had to change my clothes and jump into my friends bed as I couldn't sleep on my own bed anymore. Didn't see them when I first checked my bed upon checking-in. They finally showed themselves after gorging on my blood. Huge, ugly buggers. Anyway, I told Bill about it the next morning before leaving for the airport and I saw him take immediate action with his staff (thumbs up for that!) It's been 2 weeks since and I've just recovered from the nasty itch and there are still marks all over. So, just drop Bill/Gale an email to ensure they have taken care of the problem if you decide to stay here. Otherwise, just avoid Room #16. We chatted with others who stayed there and they never mentioned this problem... so maybe it was only in our room. Bill/Gale... I hope you have managed to eradicate this problem... All the best and thanks for the warm hospitality.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 August 2011

we stayed to the duckling the first 3 nights of our 2 week stay and loved it so much that we spend our last 5 days back there after travelling around the island.gail and bill are fantastic hosts,and the staff are the happiest and funniest you will come across in bali.rooms were good,were else can you get aircon,swimming pool,and the best hot breaky for around $15 per person a night.we stayed all over the island and the service we had at the duckling was spot on,rooms were cleaned everyday,fresh sheets everyday!improvements were happening very quietly while we were there,its so great to see budget accommodation actually having improvements done.now to the food....yum!!! we had a fussy eater with us,and he never had the same meal twice.they have something for everyone!!the menu is huge,dont forget to have dessert here!! homemade mango cheesecake!!! great entertainment also while having an icy bintang and cocktail.i would highly recomment staying here.we will be back.thanks gail and bill for a great stay.'kevin says hi".

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We had 8 great days staying here hosts Bill & Gale and there staff are always very helpful rooms are clean and serviced everyday. Rate includes a cooked breakfast. Bill will find you the best deal for tours. There is a driver next door in the Laundry shop who does well priced tours and speaks good english We did the the Bike tour which was a fantastic way to see Bali guild really friendly company name Bintang tours.
If you want a budget place to stay that is clean and tidy and great for kids this place will tick all the boxes. We will be going back soon

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Simonkris
Reviewed 29 July 2011

my teen daughter and I stayed here in June and July a totally of 13 nights, if you want 5* hotel don't stay here, but what you will get is 5* service and hospitality, with a clean comfortable good sized room which is cleaned each day our room had TV and DVD with fridge, bathroom nothing to complain about what more do you want than shower and toilet, excellent breakfast, free wifi, this is a place for everyone sole travelers, families any age group, the pool and gardens are gorgeous the hosts Gael and Bill take pride in their establishment and this is obvious, location in the middle of Sanur and short walk to the beach, there are only 12 rooms which makes the stay even better, the building is charming and very much bali, don't hesitate staying here this is excellent budget accom, we truly enjoyed the ugly duckling and my teen daughter was treated like she was a princess HOWEVER there is one major problem once you have stayed here you will want to come back

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank reefcity
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My friend and I just arrived back from a 2 week holiday in Bali. We stayed in 3 different hotels in Bali throughout our holiday. We feel the Ugly Duckling provided us with our best overall experience. It is a budget hotel, therefore don’t expect 5 star furnishings; however what it may lack in décor, it certainly makes up in ambiance and charm. The hosts ‘Bill and Gael’ are very welcoming, down to earth, friendly people. The Bintang is icy cold and the food is fresh, offering good value for money. The pool and its surrounding gardens are beautiful, making it the perfect retreat for relaxation. The hotel is situation in the heart of Sanur and is very accessible to the beach, restaurants, massage, markets etc. I would highly recommend this hotel to any traveller on a budget, who is looking for a warm and genuine place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Simtrueblue
Reviewed 5 July 2011

A friend and I booked this hotel after searching the internet and tripadvisor for simple budget accomodation close to my favourite restaurants!

The hotel is situated in the heart of Sanur on the main street, within walking distance of the night markets, Hardys, and across the road from The Bonsai which leads you down to the beach.

The rooms are pretty basic, in particular the bathrooms, but were clean and adequate for our needs. Our room had the biggest bar fridge I have seen in Bali hotel room which was perfect for our Bintang! All rooms look out over the small but well maintained gardens and the pool is lovely.

The Ducks Nutz is a lively expat bar that serves the coldest beer I've had in Bali. The food is not their strongest point, but that is not a problem, with so many fabulous places to eat so close by. They had free internet, but as other reviewers have commented- it did only work in the bar area, which was noisy at times.

Bill and Gael made us feel very welcome and all the staff were friendly and helpful. This hotel is great value for the price and I will certainly be back again.. (In Spetember in fact!).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends