“Not worth it”

Ranked #360 of 448 Restaurants in Sanur
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Had breakfast at Isola while staying at La Taverna. The breakfast included with our accommodation was European - you have to pay an additional premium if you want an Indonesian breakfast. That said - breakfast was OK (pastries, an egg, a couple of bits of bacon and a single hash brown).

A photocopied sheet was left in our room each day advertising the dinner special - always Italian (bruschetta, spaghetti carbonara and a soft drink) for 150,000 RP each. Our Balinese friends who came to visit one afternoon ordered the carbonara for 150,000 RP for the privilege of being able to sit around the pool with us - it didn't look very appealing.

We would feed all 3 of us in our family group for dinner at some of the little cafés directly outside La Tavern/Isola for about 300,000 RP - and that included a large bintang.

Save your $ and eat much better indo food at the nearby beach cafés and warungs.

There are newer reviews for Isola Restaurant

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Breakfast is ok, but dinner was a bit of a disappointment. It's not much more expensive than other restaurants in the neighbourhood but we found the overall quality a bit disappointing. However, the location is great with a beautiful view of the ocean.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

We paid the 150k rupiah each to hire a beach lounger for the day. As part of the deal any food or drink you order is taken out of the 150k so although this is a pricey restaurant, we figured it was still a good deal. It wasn't. The prices are extremely high, and even though the prices of some dishes seem reasonable, you have to remember that he plus plus (tax and service charge) is 21%. We each got one drink and a main for that amount, and the portions were tiny. I ordered the pan fried chicken breast and although delicious, I was ashamed to take it from it's mother, it was so tiny. I'm trying to be fair and am hoping that the reason the breast was so small is because it was organic rather than the usual huge hormone-fed breasts so common elsewhere. However nothing was mentioned on the menu about it being organic, so who knows? If I was told it was organic, I would feel much better about spending so much money on it. I guess we will never know.
With the lounger rental we also got access to the Isola pool, which we had hoped would redeem the fact the food is so overpriced. Unfortunately we were disappointed again. The pool is old and mold is growing around the sides of it. I was afraid to touch it. Unfortunately I couldn't simply remain in the centre of the pool as it is over 8 feet deep. I like deep pools but not when the sides are gross and dirty. There were also no flotation devices such as pool noodles for guests to use, which may have helped also.
The best thing about the day was the beach, as we found that the area in front of La Taverna was one of the nicest swimming spots during high tide. However renting a lounger is not necessary - just put your towel on the sand and jump in. We had hoped that renting a lounger at this ritzy hotel would stop touts coming and trying to sell stuff to us, but it did. It keep them away at all. So save your money, it's not worth it.
There was another plus too - the staff were very nice and prompt. They alone are what is making this a 2 star review instead of a 1 star.

Reviewed 3 November 2012

This restaurant belongs to La Taverna hotel in Sanur. The have a small menu with Italian and Indonesian food. Pizza is also available. Food quality is very high and I can say is the highest I have found travelling for 4 weeks in Bali. Dishes are not so big but they put attention to plates presentation.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

My husband and I went here and paid the $15 each to use the pool and deck chairs with towel , on the beach. The location is great but we found the food to be very bland. I ordered a pizza which was pretty tasteless. My husband ordered chicken sate which he also thought was bland.
The $15 comes off your food/beverage bill but we wouldn't go back there are much better beach side restaurants to choose from in Sanur.