“Awful Service”

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful Service”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Having craved Japanese curry for a week, we thought to give this restaurant on the bypass a go as our regular Ryoshi doesn't offer curry on their menu.

When we arrived, no one welcomed us (it is usual practice to be shouted welcome by all staff at other Japanese restaurants we've frequented). We were shown to the last table available, in the corner, as it was claimed that every other table was held under reservation.

Hubby ordered the Chicken Katsu, along with Bintang. Little boy placed an order for salmon sashimi (one portion) as well as Shrimp Tempura on rice (Ebi Tendon) and I ordered Chicken Katsu Kare (curry).

Our order arrived 35 mins later, Little boy's orders arrived fine, my chicken katsu was wholly covered and drenched in curry, but I saw that Hubby's chicken katsu arrived BLACK. So i wondered if mine was also burnt. At first bite, that bitter taste confirmed that once you pushed aside all the curry, my chicken katsu was also burnt.

We called over a server, and she carried mine away.... she came back 5 mins later and says that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with my chicken katsu. So I explained that the curry was covering it and she should bring Hubby's chicken katsu back to also show the kitchen staff. Both were virtually burnt.

Another five minutes went by, and this time the Japanese lady (manager or owner, am unsure) said that we should order something else. They wouldn't charge us for the chicken katsu that was burnt. We asked if we could just have the same order, just NOT burnt and the reply was, "NO, because it will come exactly the same way, to ensure that the chicken was fully cooked' - we were told to order something totally different. Nothing katsu was allowed - not the Shrimp, Fish or Pork variety either.

We then ordered Vegetable Tempura and Shrimp Tempura, along with my curry rice. As well as many more drinks because of the long wait.

15 minutes later, an Indonesian server arrived to tell us that the Japanese chef refuses to cook our order. So there we were, an hour after arriving, to be told that NO FOOD whatsoever would be coming our way.

I have eaten Japanese food for the last 30 years, even lived in Hawaii for 4 years where I ate Japanese food virtually every other day. This is the first time I have ever been served BURNT chicken katsu and was told that no other patron has ever returned it. and that it is ALWAYS cooked this way.

So stay far away from this place unless you like your food burnt.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Ninazrin

• Indonesian first
Bali
“Real Japanese, cooked by Japanese”
Reviewed 23 December 2012

If you want 'authentic' Japanese in Sanur, then take the trouble to find this place on the by-pass. On the left as you come from Kuta, look for the big Mercedes sign and drive into the Mercedes yard and it's a small building on your right. The owners, who do the cooking, are Japanese and don't speak much English and the staff are local, but there are no problems ordering and who cares, as the food is as good as it gets for Japanese outside of Japan. The mainly Japanese clientele is a good sign. Forget Ryoshi with it's Apocalypse Now level of service and try it.

• Visited November 2012
Bali, Indonesia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“very good japanese food in sanur”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

After a bit of trouble finding Yamato we had a very good lunch. the food was very authentic and i was very surprised by the range. Sushi, Tempura, Edamammi Udon, miso. It will be on my list of sanur lunch spots.

• Visited July 2012