“Bit of walk to beach but worth it!”

Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe
Ranked #5 of 137 Sanur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

I got a cottage through agoda.com on special. I've stayed in Sanur twice before and wanted something a bit different. What a great gem!! So happy to have found Puri Tempo Doeloe. My cottage was the cutest thing ever. I fixed bubble baths every night. Room also had an outdoor shower. The porch of the cottage was adorable. Great facilities including very relaxing pool and chairs, hot yoga, spa, and the cutest a French cafe (La Tartine). La Tartine had a nice internet connection as well - I found myself coming back to hang out at La Tartine even once I checked out.

They give you a map with walking directions to the beach and instruct you to only take the north route at night as the south route has no light. Keep in mind this is my 3rd time in Sanur and I was still getting a little lost with the map. Going through small alley ways is tough with no street names. So I walked to the beach each day and then just took a taxi home for 20,000 rupiah which worked well for me. You can always just walk out to the bypass and flag down a taxi, or use their bikes perhaps.

Highly enjoyed my stay though.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank floridastylee

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I am writing this while I am staying at the hotel, it's raining so not much else to do!

I booked this hotel on Booking.com and it was a book now/pay later with cancellation allowed until 1 week before our stay. Unfortunately they had this policy where they pre-authorise your credit card and proceeded to "hold" the full cost of the booking for 14 days on my credit card. I contacted them directly and booking.com to ask them to release this as I needed access to the funds prior to xmas and to let them know this wasn't acceptable as pre-authorising the credit card had no guarantee on the card I would use nor guarantee the booking as it could be cancelled without charge up to 25th December anyway! Nope, no go in releasing the funds unless I paid a deposit!! So it was no longer book now/pay later and no doubt if I had tried to cancel the booking prior to the 25th Dec I would have had a hard time getting the 500,000 rupiah back that I had had to pay as a deposit. I should have known then and there to cancel the booking and go somewhere else but I thought I would just ignore my gut and go with the booking. I was upgraded to a Gadek suite (which is a private villa) which I'm sure was for the inconvenience of it all.

Prior to arriving, I contacted them to arrange a transfer from the airport and ended up paying 175,000 Rupiah for this which is quite high but just wanted the convenience of not being hassled organising a taxi at the airport. If you can be bothered, get a taxi, much cheaper.
Check in was easy and we were given plenty of information for our stay, massages 50% discount, breakfast 7am to 10am in the little restaurant attached, map of the area etc etc. Walking through the grounds was really lovely, the pool area and the facilities around are great, very quiet and little cottages all separate from each other. Our Gadek Suite room was spacious enough with quirky furnishings and decorations (some of the pictures on the wall are a little too quirky!) and mostly all the amenities you need to chill out. The bed is very very comfortable and we had such a great sleep that we slept in on the first morning and missed the 10am breakfast deadline. We went up to reception at 10.30am (New Years Day) and asked if we could still have breakfast included (you need to get a coupon from them every day) but got told yes you can have breakfast but you would have to pay for it as we had missed the 10am deadline! Went to the restaurant anyway and to our surprise the staff there served our breakfast and we weren't charged for it. Thanks, Happy New Year.... The breakfast was quite adequate though I can imagine it would wear thin after a few days.
Location is absolutely terrible in wet season, which is when we are here. The map they give you is a great mud map with land marks etc which you really need as it's pretty dodgy at night time walking through the back streets. Add lots of rain on top of that and the flooding in the streets mean you are literally wading through puddles to get anywhere. It feels a little unsafe with the dogs running around and people on motorbikes whizzing past in the half light. We ended up having to walk home on New Years Eve night in the early hours as there were no taxi's to get us home and it was a very wet experience to say the least. So i would definately NOT recommend staying here in wet season if you want to get out and about to see a bit of Sanur. You can try getting a taxi on the main road (good luck with that) or ring a taxi and take a chance on getting ripped off by a greedy taxi driver. So it's walk in the muddy back streets or ripped off by a taxi driver, you choose. Of course you can always stay in the hotel and eat at the restaurant and not go anywhere else for your whole stay and that's fine if you want to do that sort of thing, personally I like to explore the area and had it not been raining I'm sure this would have been easy to do.

This is quite a nice hotel to stay at, very quiet and adequate in it's facilities if you want to just stay put and do nothing in wet season. I'm sure in dry season the experience would be completely different as there is access to bicycles to hire and walking too and from the beach would be easy. We managed to shorten our stay here, thanks to the Marketing Manager being reasonable, and we will head to an area that's more accessible to restaurants and bars without the need to wade through water.....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CoronaGirl64
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We didnt love sanur but we loved this place! So calm and beautiful. The best place that we stayed in Bali by far. Simple, nice food. Very friendly and helpful staff. We hardly saw the other guests and on one occasion had the pool to ourselves for most of the afternoon. Perfect. The grounds were stunning

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I booked a week long well deserved break with my two sons, a boys only get-away break during the first week of December 2013, and luckily we ended up at the Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe!!!

What a gem! What a relaxing place full of character and quirkiness in the right amount!!

I booked the 2 bedrooms Villa with private pool, within minutes of checking-in my sons were already jumping and swimming: this became their favourite location during our stay every morning and evening they would spend at least an hour having fun and occasionally pushing me in as well!

the rooms are spacious, well appointed and comfortable, all expected amenities can be found, I travel often for business and in all honesty quite a fair amount of the amenities aren't essential I prefer a comfortable and nicely decorated room with a style that truly reflect the country I'm in rather than a square box that could be anywhere in the world, here at HPTD you are in Bali and you sure know when you're in your villa and your room!!!

the clever owners have managed to create a unique place which is relaxed, friendly, cosy and as I said quirky, for example ask for the free WIFi password and you'll know what I mean!

La Tartine the hotel only F&B outlet is a wonderful place, a selection of wicked open sandwiches with names that will give you the giggles and taste that will make you beg for more! the deco id just "Classic"!!! an array of small frames and postcards, trinkets and crazy montages pepper the walls, shelves and anywhere you look including the door of the toilets! my boys took around 100 photos there and they still laughing looking at them!!

the owners are gems, friendly, relaxed and genuine, Dom has an hilarious sense of humour and for him the second degree is second nature!!!

in conclusion, I can't wait to return, following the superb stay there and great experience I decided to be fair and sent my daughter and her friend a couple of weeks later for a stay there as well and from the beaming smile she had on her return yesterday I know she too had a wonderful time there.

yes the beach is a little walk away, yes it's off a main road but once you step in you don't want to leave!!!

Dom and Lilly; mark my words: we'll be back!!!!

PS. nearly forgotten but their prices are EXTREMELY FRIENDLY for the quality you get, however this isn't for family with young children, that's my only warning, a great place for a get-away for a couple though.

Room Tip: a place to relax and enjoy peace and quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Bistro_du_vin
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I had booked a 2 bedroom villa but when we arrived late one night, it turned out that they only had a garden cottage and a pool view cottage as they had switched us from the 2 room villa. Although this was technically an upgrade I had booked it so my family could be close. Due to the switch, the manager was very nice and provided a complimentary hour massage that my sister-in-law enjoyed very much.

All the staff members were incredibly friendly and personable. They all were very loving towards my infant nephew. Check-in and check-out were very simply and the reception was quite effective at managing transportation. I thought the rooms were absolutely beautiful and quite comfortable as well. Although I was unable to figure out how to turn off the porch lights, it wasn't problematic.

Unfortunately during our two day stay, my family was sick and it was continuous rain and so we weren't really able to get out very much. When it is wet the alleys to the beach become completely deluged and you will get quite wet. It takes a bit more than the 15 advertised minutes to the beach and is a challenging route in the dark. The restaurant was very delicious for both breakfast and room service. The second morning the breakfast was much more meager quantities than the first day.

If I found another good discount I would certainly stay here again, just hopefully not during the rainy season.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I booked this hotel as it was close to where the fast boat from Lombok stops and it had an airport shuttle (don't book this, a taxi is much less expensive!)
Who would have thought that such a magical place existed so close to the main road!
We were exhausted after what seemed like a never ending boat trip back from Lombok and really just wanted to crash out when we eventually got to the hotel. However, once we saw the delightful little Indonesian cottages and the lovely gardens we just wanted to explore more. We had booked 3 cottages. Only 2 standard cottages were available and so one of us (me) was upgraded to a more luxurious cottage. The only difference was a slightly bigger room and a bigger TV.
The cottage had everything we might need. If you're looking for modern,villa style accommodation this is not the place for you. These are original, Indonesian, wooden huts. However, inside most mod cons were available. TV, fridge, air con, modern bathrooms, with the most amazing mosiac tiled baths and showers AND an outside shower! The bed was so comfortable, I had the best night sleep out of 14 days in Bali! AND a TV that actually had channels worth watching without having to pay extra!
Each cottage has a little veranda with chairs which we were all able to congregate on for an after dinner drink and a chat!
What a fabulous place. Full marks to whoever put it all together. Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe is a truly magical place.
We only stayed for one night before heading back to the UK. We will definitely come again in we return to Bali

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
indrayulianto, Manager at Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding Hotel Puri Tempo Doeloe

We try to always give the best service to our valuable guests and it's a great review you submit here. Those are very constructive comment,it's will be high light to be put on our extra attention to welcoming you back on your next vacation in Bali.

Terima Kasih - Thank you very much

Reviewed 20 November 2013

we first planned to stay 2 nights at this hotel but we extended another 2 nights because the hotel is so lovely decorated with an incredible garden.We had a really good time the owner and the staff were really nice and helpful.The massage was excellent .The yoga class too.The cafe has delicious food and the decor really nice.The location is very convenient it takes only 5 mn walking to get to the busy street of Sanur and the beach.We will recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple