“Decent place”

Big Pineapple Backpackers
Ranked #46 of 146 Speciality Lodging in Sanur
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed at Big Pineapple Backpackers over the Good Friday weekend. I think the aircon rooms were a good deal, being only $1 more than the non-aircon ones. Didn't see any rats, mosquitoes or pests while I was there. The furnishings were quite spartan but you get what you pay for.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hostel felt more like a home. Being able to watch movies while in the pool is a great way to spend a lazy day. The location is quiet but its quite a walk anywhere and you have to cross a super busy street to get to the beach.
I had trouble with my Canadian debit card when I got to Bali and had to call my bank. The owner let me use her cell phone to call my bank for a small fee. She was super nice my whole stay and helped me book a cheap boat ticket to Gili T.
If I'm ever back in Sanur id stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Unfortunately I didn't end up staying at the hostel, change of plan.
However, I really want to share how nice and helpful Mia has been in communications!
Booking was confirmed straightaway and a lot of information on how to get to the hostel from airport were provided, much helpful being the airport such a busy place with so many "taxi taxi taxi" overpriced services there.

Mia also replied promptly at 11 pm on recommendations on trips from there. I really wanted to see Uluwatu or Tanah Lot and she gave me all info, super fast!

I wish I could have visited the hostel and comment. I met a lot of backpackers coming from there in my trip, they were all very happy with the place. You cannot go wrong!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here two nights, the beds were OK, the pool was nice, and the TV area was nice. If you needed anything however, good luck.
When looking for advice about transport booking, we didn't find Mia anywhere. She's hardly ever on the office and it makes it difficult to get things done. When we were leaving we needed to get our towel deposit back and she was no where to be found. We left or taxi waiting for a full 5 minutes while we called and searched for her.
A nice hostel to stay at, but they seriously need to fix their service issue.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Nice clean hostel. It had a nice atmosphere and lots of people staying there.

I think the price was a bit expensive for what you get, (6 bed dorm) for 100,000.

I found it a little out the way and difficult to find.

Great place to stay to meet people though, with free tea and coffee and nice staff

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hostel is really nice, especially compared to others in SE Asia. There are lots of places to sit and chill, and socialise. The kitchen is big, and its nice to be able to make your own food.
The pool is clean and perfect for having a refreshing dip. There is a big flat screen TV connected to a hard drive with lots of movies and series that you can watch. The rooms and beds are big and clean. And the bed is very comfortable. Also, it stays dark in the room in the morning when it gets light so you can sleep late. The whole property is very clean, and there are people cleaning it all day.

There are a few small negatives, but they are really not a big deal. The hot and cold showers are 2 different pipes and heads so you can't have warm - only scalding or freezing. And sometimes the hot never worked. And the AC is turned off in the day so if you planned on chilling in bed then a fan will have to suffice for the day. The beach is actually quite a walk away, especially in the heat, but its nice once you get there.

But that isn't a big deal, I really enjoyed my stay and would come back here.
PS - there is delicious, very cheap food just across the highway.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maxine S
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Big Pineapple was our first stop in Indonesia and we were welcomed like family from the minute we arrived. My boyfriend and I stayed here for about 8 days after only planning on 4, we met a great group of people and ended up finding a lot to do. Sanur is a quiet town but a great place to start off for day trips and exploring Bali. Mia (the owner) is super helpful and sweet, and we were sometimes (apologetically) a bit of a rowdy group but she took us in stride. It is great to have a pool for the price, and this was one of the few places we stayed in SE Asia that had a kitchen which was a huge bonus! Love this place, beds were comfy and rooms were clean. Awesome place to meet people. Fantastic warung just a few minutes away, cheap and delicious food.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Green B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanur
Suwardika Homestay & Dormitory
#25 of 137 in Sanur
Taman Kesari Villas
Taman Kesari Villas
#21 of 146 in Sanur

Been to Big Pineapple Backpackers? Share your experiences!