“A disappointment”

Ranked #18 of 76 Hotels in Sanur
Western Australia
“A disappointment”
Reviewed 30 September 2008

My partner & I have just returned from an 18 day holiday in beautiful Bali. Unfortunately we chose to stay at this hotel.It is not a family hotel, but caters mostly for corporate guests. Our accommodation was in a newly renovated deluxe room with private courtyard. Not sure where the private courtyard comes in , anyone on the upper floors were able to look over the balcony!! and not sure either where the newly renovated room comes from. The semi outdoor bathroom with Bali bathtub had a "pull out" shower from the bath & had to be hand held whilst showering or else stand on it while washing and then rinse off. The 3 restaurants were deserted almost every evening no atmosphere whatsoever. The hotel could do with employing a good maintenance manager. The hotel is located too far away from the shops and restaurants so taxis were a necessity every evening. The buffet breakfast became rather boring in the end . The food was usually cold. The shuttle bus to the beach was fine but the towels provided for the patrons were not always clean. I did complain to the assistant manager but noticed days afterwards patrons still returning their unsatisfactory towels to the beach boy. The hotel pool well ok but no hand rail was provided for entry or exit of the pool just as I call them "big bali steps" One particular evening on exiting one of the lifts (the other was out of order all the time we were there) about 15 non european business persons were eating in the lobby what appeared to be take-aways. When we returned approx 3 hours later their take-away litter was still in situ. We could see it was once a majestic hotel but now very very tired. We had a great holiday but would not be staying here again.

• Liked — We were not happy with the accommodation
  • Disliked — Location and what appears their maintenance problems
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reilly7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 27 July 2008

We were very apprehensive about this hotel after reading the reviews. But were positively influenced after reaching there. First the negatives. They put us on 4th floor at the far end of the hotel. there is only one elevator up. so it was a long walk each time ... or one has to take stairs to go from pool to the room. The staff was not well informed at to what our entitlement in our booking was , what were the current specials at the hotel etc. conflicting info. So please make sure you have your travel agent / reception write down your free extras like breakfast, internet usage, discounts. Good points.. If you book a club room , there is a free happy hour from 5 to 6 p.m with unlimited alcoholic drinks. the snacks not so great. They also have a camp splash for kids and free scuba diving lesson if you book in advance. Room although small was very clean and well maintained. Totally renovated I think. They give all amenities of a four star hotel. The food in Cafe Komodo is quite good and so is Room service. The Sanur Harum chinese for Dinner a la carte is a complete NO NO. Very bad , tasteless food, apparently they have good dim sum , but I did not try. The hotel has a shuttle but it does a 5 min. ride to the beach in like 30 mins so if you have the time to spare use it. Else it costs about 10,000 - 12000 RP to the Sanur restaurant area. Make sure u take Bluebird taxi cause the other one took us for a long ride and the bill was 27,000 Rp for the same distance. CAFE Batur Jimbara is a good option for food and coffee, we went there twice.. always busy.. Bonsai beach was also okay. For HOTEL to airport , I would recomm. using hotel , as with bluebird we also paid about 79,000 RP and hotel rate is 80,000. I dont know if hotel tags on tax and service on top of this. Taxi to KUTA from Hotel is about 60,000. Taxi to Jimbaran is about 70,000 Rp. Taxi to Nusa Dua is about 103,000. all Bluebird that we took. Hotel also has shuttle to kuta at Rp 10,000 per person.
Dont miss sthe Dinner at JIMbaran very good view and restaurants..most of them offer free transport plus disc on food , we did not know so took a taxi back and forth.

• Liked — big pool
  • Disliked — lots of walking and stairs
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank liketotraveldc
Perth Western Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2008

OK i keep saying to myself that this is the last time i am going to stay at this hotel, but I do keep coming back!, this is mainly due to my friends staying here and the excellent rate you can get on AsiaRooms.com $47AUD per night Including breakfast, how can anyone complain about that. The hotel has upgraded some of there rooms and they are looking better but I must stay that they have been cheaply done, Same old beds, same old baths and vanity sinks, a few new tiles and some paint on the walls. They do look a little more fresh but don't know if its worth the $30USD extra they are charging. The hotel has also plastered cheap posters and banners all over the place advertising there new rooms, all these posters do make the place look a little tacky. They also have not worked out how to use Exit Mould as even in my new bathroom its had a little bit of mould in between the tiles. (i couldn't see the value in this so I moved back into a standard room for the rest of my stay)

So the hotel is located in the quiet side of Sanur and not really near the beach, it also does not have much of a pool scene as its surrounded by the hotel rooms and is in the shade most afternoons, so its not really great for that bali island holiday, I would class it more of a cheaper business hotel then a Resort!, don't expect to meet many other western people while staying there as there main clients are Asian people on conventions.

However the star in this hotels crown is clearly there staff, they are very good and will do anything for you, very honest and at times very sweet. For the money if you are looking for a cheap, clean, friendly place to stay then this place is for you.

• Liked — It was cheap
  • Disliked — It was cheap!
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank JamesVki
perth w.a.
Reviewed 8 July 2008

I have wondered over writing this for sometime - as my husband and myself love this place so much. It is a fanyastic hotel, beautiful staff and reasonably quiet . So if you are the traveller whom wishes a relaxing trip , this is the place. Do as much or as little as you wish and only a cheap 20min taxi to Kuta for the inevitable shopping trip. 5kms from Ubud. 35mins from Jimbaran Bay.

We have stayed here at least 6 times and never been disappointed, but as i say we love to relax. We chill out reading by the pool, drinks in hand of course!
We walk, & talk when we please to as many or as little people as we wish.
Eating whether by pool ,restaurants inside or outside hotel ( 1. the in hotel - chinese- is fantastic) or room service - i have never seen my husband eat so much!! We love good food and drinks.

We enjoy the various rooms , especially the deluxe with open air bathroom / private court yard ,( we booked that at a smashing 70 u.s. a night incl b'fast) walk out to meandering poolside etc. We have such a great time we have taken two sets of friends at different times.

Normally we holiday April . May or Sept . / Oct . and have had good weather, and would you believe it not too many people around!!
Each pm a couple play guitar and sing , we often spend time with drinks and enjoy their patter in the hotel lobby !

I am off again with another friend in July 08. Some may say boring !!! But why waste time , effort and perhaps be disappointed? We get there , it's home from home for us and its safe - I have no problem if I had to travel on my own,

Hope you find a destination / hotel that you enjoy . Yhis is the one for us .

1 Thank laddoePerthWa
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed 17 March 2008

Found a great 4nts package on their website. Hotel was very nice with great landscape pool and gardens. Breakfast very extended. Location was good, few minutes walk to seaside. Free shuttle to beach. Rooms were very clean, bathroom old but still adequate. Good bed. Fitness was free and very professional. Massage cheaper across the road. Overall good stay although the beaches in Sanur are not nice compared with what we saw on our trip along West Australia. We did a cycle trip of the volcano which was great and hired a taxi for 6 hours to do excursions. Sanur beach hotel has best location for price but can't compare size and maintance of rooms.

• Stayed February 2008
2 Thank Fevery
England
Reviewed 26 January 2008

well we were not completely overwhelmed by our room when we arrived, the bathrooms are very small and they could do with a bit of of an overhaul but they were clean which is the main thing. I believe that they are re-doing all of the rooms so maybe we should have visited this year instead.

We had a pool side room which is such an advantage as you can pop back to you room whenever you need refreshment & the pool area is lovely. The pool is huge as well!

The staff were fantastic & all so polite, cant fault that at all. The food & drinks (although expensive compared to out of the hotel) were pretty good.

I think this hotel, although not in all of the action is in a great location with lots of restaurants around it & also a short stroll to the beach. You can also walk down the beach to the shopping area & also all of the restaurants.

I would choose Sanur 100% over Kuta, i didnt like the touisty factor of it.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Plantie
perth
Reviewed 17 August 2007

Lovely hotel, horrid location. I checked out the Paradise apartments – even worse. The pool area and grounds in my hotel were very nice indeed.

This was basically a business hotel aimed at the Asian market, there were NO facilities for holiday makers, despite there being advertised as such. I was put on the 4th floor, top floor despite requesting a low level room, no balcony, so I had to upgrade and pay extra for a pool side room. The room was good, the breakfasts very good. I never saw anyone having dinner in the hotel. In fact I wasn’t even sure the restaurants were open.

The hotel was just off a very busy main road, with just a couple of local bars/restaurants and a few small supermarket type shops. The area was not safe to walk around at night, poor lighting and very large holes in road/pavement, piles of rubbish everywhere. This was not a tourist area. The shuttle bus to the tourist area took ½ hr each way and finished at 6.30pm. I would definitely not stay there again. However, if you were organising a conference I would highly recommend the facilities at this hotel.

Stayed August 2007