“relaxing”

Inna Grand Bali Beach Hotel
Ranked #54 of 82 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Large hotel with tower block. garden rooms (one storey) and cottages. These are located in large gardens with 3 pools. Food(breakfast ) is buffet but is good.We do not use the tower but eat in smaller area near cottages. Staff usualy helpfull.Some rooms need upgrading but are kept clean. The gardens are well looked after and chipmonks run around very friendly children like feeding them. Near hotel many eating places. One of the best is Queen Bali.

Room Tip: either garden room or cottages if you have a few children
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank happyOldham

Reviewed 19 November 2011

Stayed here for 5 days during a business trip. Great location on the beach. The water is calm out to the reef, so there is a large area suitable for swimming (even for kids). The staff at the hotel are very attentive. Service is great. Beautiful grounds, very well maintained. Ate breakfast in the restaurant each day, and they had a good selection of Western and Asian choices. The only negative is there is no Internet access in the rooms. This is very frustrating because I use Skype and email to communicate while traveling. They do offer Internet access in the lobby for a fee. But you have to sit in a certain area which was always busy, so you won't have any privacy.

Room Tip: Stay in the garden wings (2 story), its quieter with more privacy than the tower rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My family of 4 children stayed at the Bali Beach due to a change in our travel plans ( we had previouysly fled the hideous Oasis Hotel in kuta) and this property had vacancies. Our first impressions were good, you entered down a very long road and through security barriers and enentually get to the main entrance. The lobby is very impressive ( I believe the original property was built in the 1980's and was almost totally detroyed by fire in 1993). If you look carefully and probably too critically, yes its time for some refurbs here and there. We had 2 rooms in the garden wing which were very large, as we needed extra beds in each room. This left plenty of room to still move around. As this hotel is huge (500 odd rooms) it can be a bit tiring walking to breakfast, ATMS reception etc, I often wished for a little golf cart to ferry us from place to place. You were always undercover and never at the mercy of the sun or rain, so this is only a little gripe. I read with interest a previous reviewers criticism of the grounds, I tend to disagree as the grounds always looked immaculate and were tendered to on a daily basis. We were originally placed into a room that stunk of cigarette smoke, and requested to be moved, which happened the next day. Just briefly on the subject of smoking, I really do wish that Bali would get itself into the here and now and ban smoking in all their hotel rooms. Nothing is more stomach churning than walking into a room and smelling stale tobacco. I used to be a smoker myself and I would never ever smoke inside hotel rooms. I imagine they will never follow Thailand's example and ban smoking everywhere! this would probably be all too hard to police. I do find it one of the hardest aspects about Bali to handle. There really is no point having little no smoking signs on breakie tables, when the dude next to you lights up in the smoking section ( a bit hard to digest at anytime especially breakie). It reminds me of the days when you had smoking and non-smoking seats on planes (now that really was ridiculous!) On the subject of breakfast, it was a little limiting ( the hotel seemed to be idolised by Chinese and Japanese tourists, and the food choices screamed this fact. I had to explain in my very limited Indonesian, that to get hot pancakes, you really needed to turn on the Bain Maries. Also I would have thought that pancakes were a fairly staple of American Buffet breakfasts, but they were only served every 3 days! My kids were not very impressed with this. Despite the fact that the hotel was not full on arrival we still had to wait the obligatory 2pm check in time to get into our rooms. In fact the block that we were in Rooms 1219 and 1223 had the entire floor vacant!. I would recommned getting a room upstairs just to avoid the usual furniture and plumbing noises. We did have a problem with the aircon in one room and this was fixed promptly. The pools were fairly clean and despite have quite a few guests, you didn't have any of the typical towel hogging antics that you encounter all over Bali and actually the world. The beach was a great place for a swim as long as the tide was in (usually by about 3 or 4p.m the tide would go out and so would all your ocean! Not a big deal really as you could always jump into one of the 3 pools.

The restauarants within the resort were not too bad although the one closest to the pool bar really needs to add a couple more dishes onto its menu. The seafood restaurant further uptowards receptioin end of the property has really nice food. Like most of the food in Bali it does not really cost you an arm and a leg. We went to a little place called Bennos many times and the average cost of the bill for 6 of us with 2 rounds of drinks was only about A$70 (not too bad when that also includes a couple of beers and 2 glasses of the famous Hatten white wine). The kids hired a jet ski on a couple of occasions, at about A$25 for half an hour it was worth it. It is interesting to note that while Sanur is a a very quiet little spot compared to Kuta and Legian I don't remember ever seeing jet skis at either of these places to hire. The kids also went out snorkelling for an hour for about A$50 for all four of them with gear. They actually were snorkelling when the earth quake struck (they did wonder why all the other fishing boats had suddenly left!).

The market owners at Sanur have an air of desperation quite unlike Kuta and Legian. Let me tell you after 10 days this becomes almost untolerable! Most were not content to be politely declined, told that you were just looking, told that you had no money, they would actually grab you and follow you down the street! I had one lady actually tell me she had been waiting in her shop for me for 3 days, and why had I not come along. Despite the fact that I had not promised anything, I was still supposed to go shop with her! I do believe that business with all the shops had been very quiet, but I was tired of being told that I was the only customer they had seen in 3 days and therefore I should pay ridiculous prices to make up the shortfall. I would say that this is a pretty big turnoff (depending on how aggressive the shop owners are). Most of the time many tourists will buy a little something if they are given the chance. I am amazed that many of the stall holders are yet to grasp this concept. I did find one shop with fixed prices that was an absolute joy to enter (oh how the other shops must hate her!). About a 15 minute walk up to the main road you will find KFC, McDonalds, Dunkin Donuts and heaps of other little cheap eateries. I imagine that as the Bali Beach is so huge and takes up a fair amount of waterfront land, you really need to walk up to this road if you want "cheaper" food. We were happy to go along the beach front most nights in search of dinner. One more thing to note is that you are able to hire bikes to ride through the property (by the end of 10 days I wished that I had done this) never mind, I actually lost about 3 kilos due to all the walking!

Yes I would have to agree that this property does need a makeover, although I imagine the costs involved would be just too great. Despite the odd cracked tile here and there I loved the Bali Beach and would go back. I never felt crowded as with some huge properties I have stayed at in Thailand, I never had to queue to get into breakie and the best of all I never had to worry about that pesky uninhabited towel being placed onto a sun lounge!

Room Tip: Tower rooms all have sea views but are smaller, the garden view rooms are really large and in my opi...
4  Thank tudish
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Returned to Bali after 24 years but only due to my Daughter getting married there.
This Hotel covers a vast area and you realise that (A)IT IS REALY RUN DOWN and (B) It would cost so much money to refurbish that they would never get their money back.
One of the cost cutting items ,is, that we never saw a vacuum cleaner being used the two weeks we were there,the staff used a broom and pan on the carpets in the rooms.You can imagine what is in the carpets.The bathrooms were never cleaned properly,basins were cracked and chipped.
The good news,is that if you have them arrange your Wedding there they will do a Brilliant job.My Daughter had a co ordinator to work with and everything was arranged from the Marriage,reception,flowers,photographer and Restaurant.
Food was left for guests from 7 to 10pm and then cleared away and the Restaurant is right on the beach.
What a pity about the hotel.

1  Thank GezaPerth
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We were changed to this hotel because of upgrades to their sister property, and as it was for only one night so i wasnt too worried. And it was ok.
This isnt my sort of place, it is huge.... rooms are clean, bed good and location good. Breakfast good. and although we didnt use much of their facilities they seemed ok. There was a conference going on at the time we were there, and did find those people a little rude, but u get that. Nice and close to the scoot boat transfers launch.
Thats all i can say i think.
For a family holiday i think there are much better places to stay in Sanur for the money.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2011

This multistorey hotel was the first and biggest in Bali and is beginning to show its age. Set out over sprawling grounds with gardens that are less impressive than many others in Sanur, the Grand Bali still hosts large events through its impressive high roofed lobby and entrance but is getting on and in need of repair.
Whilst clean, the cracked cement, flaking paint. loose or missing tiles, dated bath fittings that do not always work properly and ageing outdoor pool areas detract from once must have been the pearl of Sanur Beach.

The pools were particularly poorly maintained with the main pool having green algae growing on the walls, cloudy water and no sign of anyone undetrtaking cleaning or chlorination. My wife and I would not enter the pool from the way it looked and unfortunately, the ocean is too shallow to swim in at low tide and too weedy at any tide.

It appeared to be very popluar with Chinese tourists - so much so that we could not eat in the main restaurant a couple of times as it had been booked out completely.

Same breakfast fare every day and not a great range of food.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2011

The Grand Bali Beach would have been fantastic 25 years ago. It is now quite run down and in urgent need of an upgrade. Cleaning staff relieved us of Alcohol (only discovered after shifting hotels) which was disappointing. Staff are very friendly and helpful. There are other hotels with comparable prices but much better facilities in the area. Noisy air conditioner in room.

Room Tip: Try and get a room not located in the main building. (bungalow or wing)
2  Thank Jim C