“Light Fingers”

Ranked #49 of 76 Hotels in Sanur
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Light Fingers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

Being my first time to Bali everything was new. I loved the country but was put off by the scary and intimidating feel of the airport and porters begging.

We arrived at Inna Grand the place look amazing! reception was huge and the art work and sculptures amazing.

We were in the motel block with a pool out the front of us. The unit itself was clean, the floors were mopped daily, sheets changed. However the bathroom needs to be renovated as its old, dirty and stained. Running and cleaning a motel myself most of the bathrooms would come up cleaner and more visually appealing from a stronger all purpose cleaner. The taps and baths need to be replaced as there old and corroding. I would have felt being a busy hotel and charging a decent priced USD a unit you would at least think it would warrant a slow progression through fixing and renovating things.

As it was my first time there we bought a lot from the Markets. I understand the Bali people are poor and they aren't paid well however I bought 5 cartons of cigarettes to bring back to nz as there cheaper but I opened 1 to see what there like. I had left the open pack with 1 smoke gone on the table at the end of the week there was 8 missing. None of our party smokes.

My partners family have been there about 6 times and its never changed. I would return to Bali but would stay contemplate elsewhere first.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Israel H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Darwin, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

Been to Bali several times and this was by far the worst place I stayed at. Had organized airport transfer before I arrived, no one came. Finally arrived at the hotel and was escorted to my "non smoking room" the room was rank with cigarette smoke demanded to be placed in another room. I was upgraded to a suite but was far from the main hotel. The suite also had oily floors and the mattress was like sleeping on a plank of wood, the light switch and bathroom very old and dated, a bit risky turning on lights and talking on the phone - the wires were all exposed.

Staff were sleazy and tried cracking onto me. Breakfast buffet was very claustrophobic and closed in with smokers. The only thing good about the place was the bar/pizza place at the very far end of the hotel. Won't be staying there again

Room Tip: Be honest with staff, if your not satisfied with the room ask for another
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank tonia186
Western Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

I found myself 'stuck' in Sanur due to bad weather stopping me from being able to get the boat over to Nusa Lembongan. Having spent a couple of nights in budget accommodation, I thought I would 'treat' myself to 5 star comfort for the night and was specifically looking forward to a long hot shower. Upon checking in I was offered a room in the tower or a cottage. I opted for a cottage and when I saw it was glad I did. Great location, right on the front of the walkway alongside the beach. The room however, was of similar standard to previous accomodation I'd had for which I had payed 150,000 IDR - whereas this room was 800,000!
Feeling tired, hot and bothered I decided to stay anyway, comforted by the location and the promise of a hot shower. However, this was not to be. I rang to complain. Thirty minutes later, a staff member arrived to run the water and indeed, verify that there was no hot water. He assured this would be rectified. I decided to go for a walk and grab a bite to eat and returned 2 hours later to find there was still no hot water. I rang again and informed reception that if it was not fixed by morning I would not pay the full amount due.
In the morning I was dissapointed to find there was still not hot water. As I checked out, I spent considerable time arguing with management and that I expected a sizeable discount. I was told that if I wasn't happy I should have checked out the previous night. I was given a 10% discount and would have walked out without paying, had I not given them my credit card upon checking in. Note to self - only deal in cash in future!
I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank gemcrave

Travellers are raving about these Sanur hotels

jakarta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

My Mom book the hotel through her travel agent.
When I saw the hotel review through tripadvisor and I was expecting the worst seeing all the bad review.
Arrived at the lobby which looks old and reception told us the room will be ready in about 15 minutes.
I go into the room and was surprised how good the room looks. The room looks new, especially compared to the lobby. Everything looks clean.
The balcony was overlooking the ocean, since I stayed at the 7th floor the whole Sanur beach can be viewed from my balcony.
A couple of glitches though, the toilet was clogged and there were no towels in my room. Both were fixed immediately, it seems that the washing machine was broken the day I check in.
Service was excelent.
Breakfast was average. The first morning it was so packed, I felt I was in a market.
Second day it was better. One strange thing I notice, I've never had breakfast in a hotel with a security guard going around the room.
The pool was great. The beach was excellent. There wasn't a lot of people or vendors so it felt like the hotel private beach, which I was informed is not the case.
Everything is close-by.
Basically I had an enjoyable stay at the hotel except for some minor glitches.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank nudechef
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013 via mobile

First i stay in this hotel on 2009, i came back again yr 2012, cause it is clean and nice. But this time of my stay the hotel is run down. Love breakfast buffet, lovely food.. overall love the swiming pool and roms

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Selina23
Western Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

Stayed there this December with a family and we were quite scared after reading the reviews on this site that the hotel is old, shabby etc. And we were really happy to find out that Inna Bali Beach is actually a great place!
Our room was in a garden wing, and while it is oldish it did not look shabby at all. The floors are still shiny, the rooms are kept clean, and they are really good size. Yes you can find better looking bathrooms and newer appliances in Bali hotels but it did not bother us much. We had all the essentials like TV, fridge, coffee making facilities and daily supply of water and toiletries.
What we particularly loved was their huge grounds - lots of lawns and trees and places for kids to run around, and FOUR swimming pools, one secure shallow pool with slides, one deep one and one "river with islands", and one with a pool bar; they were all overlooking the ocean and we spent many hours relaxing by the pool while staff would bring us food and drinks.
Their playgrounds are really old and basic and our kids did not enjoy them as much.
They say their beach is private but this is not exactly right because it's open for all. And their beachside area is really big. There are a couple of beachside restaurants / bars where they serve very tasty cocktails (I tried in a few other places an was disappointed).
Their breakfast was not the best in Sanur and yes you can spot a cockroach.
The worst thing about the hotel is its position far from the main road. You need either negotiate hard with taxi drivers (it only takes 15,000 to get to city centre by metered taxi but they start with 50,000 if you are at the main entrance!) or walk to the main road for about 7-10 minutes and get a cab there, or pay extra every time you want to get out. There is also a shuttle which takes you to Hardy's supermarket, but they go every 1.5 hours only.
The staff was helpful and nice. Obviously as they position themselves as an upmarket hotel their spa and restaurants are expensive, so we ended up going elsewhere.
The hotel has a gym but it's very basic and does not have an aircon, still better than nothing if you want to exercise. Our 10 y.o. played table tennis there with staff members and there are a couple of other sport activities available as well.
We will definitely stay there again, that's a good value for money.

Room Tip: Avoid the main building if you can, it's the oldest part of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank whysherie
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

I stayed here for one night at deluxe sea view room. The room looked old but comfort and still OK. This hotel has white sand, clean, and quiet private beach. You can take beatiful sunrise picture from this beach.
I came here to attend my friend's wedding ceremony at hotel's chapel. Big diamond shaped chapel with modern style, it surrounded by well-maintained green grass. Great view, once you've entered the chapel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends