“Quiet location, nice Hotel”
Review of Puri Santrian

Puri Santrian
Ranked #17 of 78 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed 23 May 2011

This is a good hotel with a beautiful setting, good staff, nice pool with a poolbar, the food at the restaurant is ok, and the location is great as the area is not too busy, but still close to everything. The hotel provides sunbeds on their semi-private beach.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Puri Santrian

Reviewed 19 May 2011

WARNING. DO NOT under any circumstances use money changers on the street. They will count the rupees out in front of you, ask you to check it and then while you are doing so interrupt and talk to you while their hands float over the money and a pile disappears. Two of our group lost the equivalent of $50 each. Use the hotel to change money they offered a better rate that the airport changers
Stayed at the Puri Santrian with a large family group. Excellent value for money. Garden rooms were great. Beware of being located on the third floor of the multi storey complex with no lifts. These rooms are classed as garden view but are not at ground level as one could assume. While the view is great the steps are not. Buffet breakfast is rather expensive- note the need to add government and service charges. I found the menu offered provided a nutritious and filling meal at less than half the price of the buffet. The staff were great and the proximity of the dining and lounge areas to the beach and sea breezes was better than the hotels to the south of the Puri Santrian. Only use metered taxis, as the unmetered hustlers will try and charge you four times the price at the outset. A taxi to the centre of Sanur will set you back the equivalent of $1 Australian. There is a great massage centre two doors north of the Puri Santrian with excellent modern and clean facilities. He Cosmo in Sanur also offers a great massage, somewhat cheaper but the facilities are not as up market.
Will definitely go back to the Puri Santrian

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TimeToSKI_11
Reviewed 17 May 2011

We (2 adults with 2 children 2 years, 9 months) stayed a couple of nights at Puri Santrian in April this year. It was our second time in 2 years and we definitely wanted to go back. Once again we weren't disappointed! Beautiful resort (and SPA) with Balinese atmosphere, very friendly staff. However, this time we stayed in a Garden wing room and these rooms would need an upgrade, very basic. Last time we stayed in a bungalow and Clubroom - much more worthy the hotel. We would recommend this hotel to Sanur visitors. BTW downside is the beach that gets very narrow on high-tide.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2011

The hotel was an all round good experience. The staff were friendly, the beach was nice and the pools are good too. The only shortfall was the breakfast buffet however the al a carte menu was pretty good.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank b0ags
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I can't fault the hotel (except for the Spa!) at all. Lovely property, friendly staff.
We were upgraded to a superior room which was very nice.
Having stayed at the Hyatt before I would go back there though. Just because the gardens are SO beautiful, the beach is more spacious and breakfast buffet nicer.
The Spa at Puri Santrian: the massage I had must qualify as the worst I’ve had! It was literally making sure every part of your body was knead once and that was it.
We were sat down next to the bath to have our feet cleaned and the tub was still dirty with hair from whoever was in there before. We weren’t going to have a bath, but to me a Spa visit is about the overall experience – visually too. We cancelled the other couple of massages we had also booked. It’s a shame as the building itself is a tranquil oasis and very inviting.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I wasn't sure whether I was going to like this hotel as we stayed at the Melia Bali (MB) previously and to my surprise I actually enjoyed our stay at the Puri Santrian (PS).
First of all I shouldn't really compare the PS to the MB as they both in different star ratings, PS being 4stars & the MB being 5 stars.
Checking-in was really swift and the complimentary ice chilled face towel & a cool fruity drink was a perfect welcome to the hotel. We stayed in a standard room to which was very spacious, plenty of wardrobe space too (check out my review on Metropark Causeway Bay, Hong Kong), also spaces to store your suitcases. Two complimentary bottles of water is delivered everyday like bottles of milk (if you're from UK, you'll understand) and were very much welcomed.
The hotel has 2 swimming pools to which I didn't go in as the sea was only 50 feet away. The hotel restaurant has seating on the sea front, so in the evening you could enjoy a romantic meal with sound of the waves crashing on to the beach. We did have lunch at the hotel a few times this was out of convenience rather than choice, I would've preferred to go out of the hotel but this would've been a palaver having to get change, leave the hotel, comeback and change and then to lose your sunlounger by the pool or the beach to a big Dutch bloke
The buffet breakfast wasn't bad, they had a selection of bread, pastries, croissants, cereals, fruit, juices, eggs cooked to order, cooked breakfast western & Balines style - however I would mention the bacon wasn't fantastic as it was quite fatty but that didn't stop me from stuffing myself with a good 'ole fry-up every morning.
In the evenings is best to venture out of the hotel as there are plenty of restaurants to choose from, we didn't have a favourite one as they're more or less the same and some restaurants had live bands every night. These restaurants are perfectly located just outside the hotel on one long road, I would mention that the pavements along the main road aren't in the best of condition and also very narrow. So if you have small children make sure you're holding their hands as they could end up walking on the road without realising and the Balinese drivers & motorcyclists are nuts!
Next to the restaurants there are plenty of souvenir shops, there are plenty of fake goods to buy, believe it or not some of them are really good quality.
Now back to PS. There is free use of computer & wifi in the business centre and if you require printouts they're free too, during busy periods you are limited to 15 minutes use but I don't think they enforce this rule, free wifi is also available in the lobby.
I wasn't going to mention the next part but I feel it's my duty to do so as some western guests may find this a bit scary but there's good reason. A lot of westerners especially women will scream when they see a spider on the wall or ceiling, one particular night my wife had a shock of her life when she saw a large gecko on our bedroom wall. To her astonishment I didn't flinch, in fact I replied "that's cool, at least there won't be any spiders about", after saying that she didn't make any fuss & forgotten all about it. Having a gecko in your room isn't a big deal, they won't harm you and they certainly incapable of eating you. My family are from Hong Kong and in the countryside families welcome geckos as they eat all the insects & keep the home clean of creepy crawlies. There was only one thing I did dislike was the grey squirrels in the grounds of the hotel, what made me laugh were the Dutch guests constantly taking photo's of these tree rats. It did raise the question, are there any squirrels in The Netherlands?.
Sorry, side tracking. Although I spent most of my time on the beach & the sea I didn't think the beach was really that clean as there were constant seaweed coming on to the beach, this really couldn't be help due to the low tide. Occassionaly, you'll see the odd plastic bag come floating by, one particular day I found sweet floating right in front of my goggles. I actually kept it as momento, LOL! The beach staff did try their best collect the seaweed every morning & afternoon, having said that when it is cleared up the sea is clear, you could see fish swimming & the water is lovely and warm. The cleanliness of the beach & the random rubbish that gets washed up is certainly an issue, the management need to address this as a major concern, this isn't what you would expect from a hotel in this calibre.
Overall, I liked this hotel due to the smilling friendly faces of all the staff and it's great location. The shops & restaurants outside the grounds made spenditure a lot cheaper and also it added a different flavour to the experience of Bali. My daughters loved this hotels because of the two pools, my wife loved the relaxation and I loved the choice different restaurant every night. Would we go back to the Puri Santrian, most defintely!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Marmitefan88
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We stayed for 11 nights in a Club room which was well worth the extra cost as it included a really excellent breakfast and afternoon tea,
Our room was a large suite with a large 4 poster bed and good sized balcony. The Club pool was superb- very peaceful and beautifully designed.
The staff were friendly, very efficient. We could not fault the service.
We are a very well travelled couple and we both agreed that the Puri Santrian (Club rooms) is an excellent 4 star hotel.
We would recommend it and would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple