“Don't go to Bali!!”
Review of Puri Santrian

Puri Santrian
Ranked #17 of 78 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We went there a few weeks ago and it was our worst holiday ever. No matter which area you go to in Bali, it is dirty and polluted and full of disease and nothing exciting what so ever…
Hotel itself and the facilities were average (it wasn't cheap at all) but it was in the middle of nowhere and we had to eat in the hotel almost every day. Food was pretty average and some waiters were good and some had attitude and only a few understood English good enough. Some days we caught a cab to the Seminyak or Kuta (30-60 min ride depending on the traffic) which was more crowded and had “a few” more dining options and “a” shopping center and nothing more but pollution, jam-packed traffic, beggars, filth and sick dogs…We walked from hotel for hours to different directions and except for another beach resort next door and a bar, there was not a decent looking restaurant in the whole neighbourhood. If you are into the sports next door resort/hotel has at least some facilities for almost the same price.
We were extra careful, vaccinated ourselves before going there, only used bottled water even for brushing our teeth, wiped hands with hand gels every five minutes and still both got sick. My partner got a skin rash and I am having severe allergic symptoms. Whether it was pool’s polluted water or beach or what else we don’t know yet…We have been to Thailand and Malaysia and a few other odd places but believe me Bali is by far the worst. Don’t forget about mosquitos, they are every were and they bite you first chance they get and it hurts for days, no matter how much repellent you spray on yourself and how careful you are…
If you are in dire need of travelling to a crowded polluted chaotic place for a “change” or you “must” go there for some other reasons different story, otherwise take my friendly advice and stay away from this dodgy place and warn all fellow ozzies too…for the same amount of money go to a beach resort in Phuket and I can assure you will have 10 times more fun and a lot less problems…
Since this trip I have started to look at Tripadvisor’s “good” reviews very SUSPICIOUSLY and from now on I will concentrate on the bad ones first and try to find other sources too before making any decisions…

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Allan1000
santrian, Manager at Puri Santrian, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Allan1000,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay at Puri Santrian. It is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your experience or your time at the resort. Perhaps the island of Bali is not the ideal spot for you and we do hope that you find an alternative destination that satisfies all your holiday needs.

Happy travels,
The Management of Puri Santrian

There are newer reviews for Puri Santrian

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is a lovely traditional style hotel. It is located away from the shops on the main strip, which isn't such a problem given the availability and price of taxi. The service was good. I stayed in the Santrian Club rooms. These are very spacious and close to the pool that is only available to those staying in these rooms. This pool was great (I didn't even use the other pools)! It was quiet and has lots of places the kick back and relax in the cool water. Breakfast was nice enough, but it could get very hot in the dining area. Overall a good hotel.

Room Tip: Santrian Club Rooms are the way to go. The pool there is not crowded and very relaxing.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Sharls
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Puri Santrian, this is what Bali is about. A perfect place for a perfect holiday. Attended by courteous, friendly and very warm staff, it feels like wanting to go back there again to experience the hospitality again. Yes....I am going back there again next year. Where do I Start? The rooms, the breakfast, the view, the people.....I am at lost. Rooms are well maintained and spacious. Breakfast spread is fantastic, spend your evening sitting at the beach with a drink in your hand enjoy the sunset....I can go on...but let me not spoil your experience....heading to Bali...head to Puri Santrian.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms facing the swimming pool.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gopala K
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Nine of us stayed at The Puri Santarian - First thing the hotel did was to up grade the group
to lovely rooms with a outdoor seating area - The Hotel is located on a beautiful stretch of beach in Sanur- located close to shops restaurants, super markets, car and scooter rental's, atm's and money changers all close and in short walking distance.
There is a choice of two pools- The Pool with the attached Bar was our choice to get some sun
Staff are great friendly attentive across all facilities Reception Room service Bars and Restaurants- Big Smiles every where and all requests met punctually, Music at night good food at reasonable prices in a choice of locations
This really works - highly recommended - - Get the Bali architectural and cultural feel in a beach / garden setting in the Village of Sanur - Really Great

Room Tip: Room 130 Well located near Reception Quite and Spacious with beautiful Bathroom and out door seating
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank wanderingspoon
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Delightful resort. Facilities excellent. Staff wonderful. Great place to have a family Xmas break. Xmas dinner in the mezzanine restaurant great as well. Lovely walks along foreshore. Easy access to other restaurants /spas and shops.

Room Tip: Rooms are all well appointed - very clean. Club rooms very spacious and very quiet - has exclusive...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Margo T
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I've always wanted to stay here after visiting the beach cafe during my past stays in Sanur.

I'm glad I did during my last visit to bali with my extended family. My parents' room was on the ground floor which offered much convenience. The kids enjoyed the pool and the direct beach access. It was great that the sea walker was right at the hotel. The whole family also enjoyed the affordable spa outlets just outside the hotel.

I enjoyed the complimentary morning yoga. And the lazy private beach.

The breakfast wasn't too luxurious but still offered a great variety.

I will go back to puri santrian if I'm not opting for villa stays.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank C0C03
Reviewed 15 December 2013

If mosquitoes like you, go for the Santrian Club rooms - 4 poster bed with mosquito netting all over! We enjoyed the extra space, very quiet pools and lounging areas. We liked the Balinese flavour, statues, traditional dress etc. The staff were unfailingly polite and friendly - nothing was too much trouble. Sonia from guest relations was extremely attentive and suggested things we might like to do, like the cookery class. It was a bit expensive, but well organised and enjoyable. We dined in the hotel on several occasions and found the standard good and reasonably priced. Pity the wine is so expensive in Bali but we enjoyed the local beer! For those who like the beach, the location could not be better. Beach and garden rooms looked equally good. The only slight problem for me was the prevalence of steps as I have a mobility problem. In general though, they were only short flights.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple