“Great Stay!”

Ranked #16 of 76 Hotels in Sanur
wales
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed in the Puri Santrian for 7 nights at the end of our holiday. I have been pretty shocked by some of the bad reviews. Just makes me realise why I always take reviews with a pinch of salt. We had a club room, which I would definitely recommend. The resort was large and very attractive. Breakfast was good and we appreciated the adults only club pool. The staff were all polite and curteous. The surrounding resort had a good choice of restaurants and bars which we made good use of! The one thing I would say is that sometimes the service at the beach restaurant area could be a little hit and miss. No one was ever rude or anythign like that, it was just soemtimes hard to get someones attention. Yes there are dogs around. Alot are pets (owners are throwing balls for them with leads in their hands!) but yes there are the odd stray one. However, I have pretty much found that in a LOT of places. Thailand has it, as does greece, spain, tunisia etc.

Room Tip: Go for a Club Santrian room if you are without children!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank waura

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My kind of perfection... From the deeply-shaded balcony of my third-floor room, I had a view over the splashing fountains of the large swimming pool, and through leafy treetops, to the sea. I could watch the pool, and choose my times to go down for undisturbed laps. I swam without sunblock, because tall trees shaded the lap edge of the pool. I ate lovely dinners and breakfasts in the open-walled dining room with a view of both gardens and sea. I read books and worked puzzles, and slept in warm air. My room was clean and comfortable. The hotel operated smoothly. Everything I needed was within the grounds. The staff smiled, and exchanged pleasantries. I had both solitude and village. Perfection.

My short stay at this hotel (3 nights) was in mid-November, immediately following two weeks of group tour through eastern Java and Bali... my private interlude before the long flights home. And staying within the hotel enclave was part of the plan... isolated from some of the less appealing aspects of population density and tourist overload on the island. That is, this was not a primary vacation destination trip. But I would definitely book here if I ever do return to Bali on vacation.

Accommodations. This hotel has four main types of rooming choices - Club; Bungalow; Garden wings; Beach wings. I eliminated Club and Bungalow, but I couldn't tell from the website how to distinguish the Garden and Beach choices. So I booked Garden, and wrote a note in my reservation asking for top floor, and stating that steps are no problem. [There are no elevators.]. They did actually read my request, and book me accordingly, but with an upgrade - putting me in a building that I had assumed was Garden, but that they consider Beach. Here's the storyl about Garden & Baech buildings. They are all the same architecture, except that the Beach buldings are 3-floor, and the Garden buildings are 2-floor. The two Garden buildings, plus "my" Beach building are in a line, parallell with the beach, but set back. Between the Garden buidlings and the beach there are other buildings (especially, bungalows). Between "my" Beach building and the beach there are just gardens and pool. At the end of the row, the other Beach building sits at right angles to the beach. Middle rooms on floors 2& 3 of "my" Beach building , as well as rooms closest to the beach in the next building, are ideal. I was in 309. There didn't seem to be buidling numbers, so I don't know how the numbering works in the other buildings.

The on-premises dining has two adjacent parts - one on the boardwalk (more casual), and the other in the garden zone, and having the look and feel of an elegant dining space. I don't thinkl I would have ventured out into the neighborhood for more variety, or to cut cost, even if I had been staying for a week - would just have made other selections in-house, I don't travel for fine-dining experiences. I care more about the dining environment - which was just perfect.

The larger pool - the one with the swim-up bar - is even better than its photos. Big trees shade the lap zone (but the surface is kept clean all day). There is falling water both over the bar area and as part of a buddhist-garden-style cascade area in another corner... no splash hazard - just pleasant sounds. [I have historically sought out swimmable ocean beaches. But I decided not to swim in Bali waters after the tour-bus views of trash-filled gullies everywhere in Indonesia. So I can't comment on this one.]

The property (except the Club) is "older". But I suspect that it was the primo place to be back when it was new. And the basic architectural style (long/ low/ stucco and brick/ deep balconies/ heavy tile roofs) remains handsome and appealing. There are furnishing and bath bits that some might consider "dated", but I would describe as formerly-elegant and well-maintained. No contemporary desiner sinks... but that's not something I value.

Shopping: I did some fabric shopping in the shops down the beach. A typical aggressive-sales experience. But it was convenient to be able to look, retreat, and return later with buying decisions made. I also tried a walk-around-a-long-block browsing jumket ouside of the hotel grounds one day, but found that experience un-productive.

An older woman traveling solo in Bali seems to be a curiosity. But just that. I didn't feel judged, or treated differently.

Room Tip: Best value: Beach wings. Top floor. Center (#309, #310) or beach end.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank naejjean
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I'm a bit surprised to read others' bad reviews of Bali, not sure what people expect. Most of the beach dogs have a collar and are owned by someone and a few of the guests were playing with them, they were all well-behaved, friendly and seemed to be in good health. Most of them generally ignored the guests. Bali geographically is not as nice as some beaches in Thailand or South Vietnam, but the gardens, culture and food are unique and the reason to go.

Sanur is the beach for 'grown ups' and I chose it to avoid the Kuta scene. There are a few bars and clubs in walking distance, but if you're after a big nightlife spot, go to Kuta.

For what I had paid, compared to other similar properties I was very pleasantly surprised. The staff is very friendly, the pools clean and they do their best to keep the normal amount of insects in the climate at bay. I wish that I was able to get a club room or a day pass to the pool there because the kids can sometimes take over the pool. Because there are two other pools, often one had no kids or less noise.

The garden area is lush and many guests sit on their patios relaxing. Wifi is free which makes it good for a working holiday and the pool bar has an area to sit in that is not inside the water as well as in the pool. I came to swim and relax and this resort was great for that.

The Bali Night dinner was good and had some vegetarian buffet options with a really great show. I was very surprised to learn that the staff were the performers and it was very professionally done with a chance to learn a bit about Balinese culture.

I ate at the resort often as it was a relaxing atmosphere. Most of the food and service was good, The Balinese dishes are made to suit foreign tastes and are still flavorful, my only complaint was that the spinach ravioli I had on my last day was bland and poorly made.

My next trip to Bali I will be sure to return here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sabai_sabai
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This is the second time we have been here 23Dec-31Dec since we arrived we have been wanting to move to a club room, we have checked twice, nobody has followed up with us. We have also endured the erection of an additional room that is still being put together for New Years Eve. Hammering banging moving equipment, all through our Christmas Lunch, as the Dining Room overlooks this area. We work all Year for a relaxing quiet time and that is why we come to Sanur .. The Puri is a great Hotel great location, but after this experience we won't be back. Take a look Puri at your delivery of service to your guests.

Room Tip: Club if u can get it or if staff bother to get back to you.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sue B
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We went there a few weeks ago and it was our worst holiday ever. No matter which area you go to in Bali, it is dirty and polluted and full of disease and nothing exciting what so ever…
Hotel itself and the facilities were average (it wasn't cheap at all) but it was in the middle of nowhere and we had to eat in the hotel almost every day. Food was pretty average and some waiters were good and some had attitude and only a few understood English good enough. Some days we caught a cab to the Seminyak or Kuta (30-60 min ride depending on the traffic) which was more crowded and had “a few” more dining options and “a” shopping center and nothing more but pollution, jam-packed traffic, beggars, filth and sick dogs…We walked from hotel for hours to different directions and except for another beach resort next door and a bar, there was not a decent looking restaurant in the whole neighbourhood. If you are into the sports next door resort/hotel has at least some facilities for almost the same price.
We were extra careful, vaccinated ourselves before going there, only used bottled water even for brushing our teeth, wiped hands with hand gels every five minutes and still both got sick. My partner got a skin rash and I am having severe allergic symptoms. Whether it was pool’s polluted water or beach or what else we don’t know yet…We have been to Thailand and Malaysia and a few other odd places but believe me Bali is by far the worst. Don’t forget about mosquitos, they are every were and they bite you first chance they get and it hurts for days, no matter how much repellent you spray on yourself and how careful you are…
If you are in dire need of travelling to a crowded polluted chaotic place for a “change” or you “must” go there for some other reasons different story, otherwise take my friendly advice and stay away from this dodgy place and warn all fellow ozzies too…for the same amount of money go to a beach resort in Phuket and I can assure you will have 10 times more fun and a lot less problems…
Since this trip I have started to look at Tripadvisor’s “good” reviews very SUSPICIOUSLY and from now on I will concentrate on the bad ones first and try to find other sources too before making any decisions…

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Allan1000
santrian, Manager at Puri Santrian, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Allan1000,

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent stay at Puri Santrian. It is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your experience or your time at the resort. Perhaps the island of Bali is not the ideal spot for you and we do hope that you find an alternative destination that satisfies all your holiday needs.

Happy travels,
The Management of Puri Santrian
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This is a lovely traditional style hotel. It is located away from the shops on the main strip, which isn't such a problem given the availability and price of taxi. The service was good. I stayed in the Santrian Club rooms. These are very spacious and close to the pool that is only available to those staying in these rooms. This pool was great (I didn't even use the other pools)! It was quiet and has lots of places the kick back and relax in the cool water. Breakfast was nice enough, but it could get very hot in the dining area. Overall a good hotel.

Room Tip: Santrian Club Rooms are the way to go. The pool there is not crowded and very relaxing.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Sharls
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Puri Santrian, this is what Bali is about. A perfect place for a perfect holiday. Attended by courteous, friendly and very warm staff, it feels like wanting to go back there again to experience the hospitality again. Yes....I am going back there again next year. Where do I Start? The rooms, the breakfast, the view, the people.....I am at lost. Rooms are well maintained and spacious. Breakfast spread is fantastic, spend your evening sitting at the beach with a drink in your hand enjoy the sunset....I can go on...but let me not spoil your experience....heading to Bali...head to Puri Santrian.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms facing the swimming pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple