“A very good Hotel”
Review of Puri Santrian

Puri Santrian
Ranked #17 of 78 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed 7 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at this Hotel for Six nights. We discovered our room had a leaky toilet and we were moved to a new room without a problem.
The bungalow was a little dark as others have mentioned but this gave it a nice cool relaxing feel and we thought it was lovely. The deck was a good size and we enjoyed sitting out on it watching the squirrels darting about in the trees.
We went to the Indonesian night at the hotel and although the dancing was good the food was not hot by the time we got to it and this is not a good thing in Bali. We did end up with a small bout of 'Bali Belly' but we coped well with it and could have got it from anywhere even though we were very careful with hand sanitisers etc.
The best meal we had was at the Mezzanine right next door to the hotel. The pianist played lovely music which added to the ambience and the food was excellent. If you like to dress up a bit more you can do that at this restaurant.

Stayed: August 2008
There are newer reviews for Puri Santrian

Reviewed 31 August 2008

Stayed at the Puri Santrian for 7 nights in all, 2 nights at the start of our holiday, then 5 nights at the end. We stayed in a Club Room at the start (room 281), and it was fine, but nothing too special really. Both double beds had been pushed together, so we did have a huge bed! We were upgraded, so didn't benefit from the free breakfast or afternoon tea offer, and when we walked around the Club Pool area, all the loungers were already reserved with towels even though they remained unused for several hours.
For our 5 nights stay we were in a Garden Bungalow, room 158, and although it was a bit dark due to the foliage outside and the tinted windows, it was clean and comfortable, and easily big enough. The bathroom, although large, was the only thing to let it down was the shower was over the bath, which wasn't too big a deal, but the tiling and grout did need replacing, and the water never seemed to be really hot enough. The netting in the partially outdoor bathroom kept most of the creatures out, but we did have a few mozzies, and a mouse! The lizard seemed to stay mostly in the living area ......... I think he preferred his creature comforts.

The hotel itself does have lovely gardens, a very nice pool area, and plenty of loungers and beds available. The place just seemed to lack any atmosphere though, with the only real bar area being the pool bar, and this was empty most nights. Due to the lack of atmosphere, we ate out every night at a number of places close to the hotel. There are 3 beach restaurants all just yards from the hotel beach area (turn right when you reach the beach and follow the path). You'll fine Cemara, Donald's and Bobby's ................... all good, with Donald's doing great breakfasts and Bobby's doing a fabulous Nasi Goreng Istimewa, a special fried rice with 2 satay skewers, prawn crackers and fried egg. Delicious! Food is very cheap and very good, and there is also another Donald's out the front of the hotel ................. just turn right at the enterance, and it's on the left hand side of the road.

The Cat and Fiddle and Trophy Bar are both good for evening drinks, and both offer food all day too, so you need never go hungry in Sanur. Most places seem to have live music on several nights, so you won't be bored.

Do try to do the Elephant Safari if you feel the need to get out and about. It's abour an hours ride away from Sanur, and you can choose either 30, 45 or 60 minute rides ............... the elephants are all so cute and well behaved you'll not want to get off one.

We also did a boat trip to Turtle Island .................... you will get VERY wet on this trip, so best to wear swimwear and take towels.
It was a 3 hour trip, and you visit the island and see the turtles in a cordoned off area, and a guide explains about the breeding season etc, then you see some young turtles in tanks, and can pick them up if you really want to. There are also a couple of monkeys there, so you can pose for photos with them, plus a lizard, a snake, and a crocodile. On the way back to Sanur, the boat was beached several times on sandbanks, so 2 guys had to help push it away from these areas, and it did get a bit frustrating. You also get the chance to go snorkelling, and we did see some fish and coral.

If you get the chance to tour around Bali, please do. There are much better places than Sanur, and we visited Lovina, Candidasa and Ubud, staying overnight in each location. Went dolphin watching in Lovina ................ the boats go at 6am, but it was worth it.

All in all it was a really good holiday, and in my opinion, The Puri Santrian is a good 3 star hotel. Friendly staff, great gardens, nice pool , but lacking a certain something.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BristolJue
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Was really looking forward to a weeks rest here after touring the Far East.
Arrived at night and on immediate inspection hotel and room seemed fine. We had booked a club room.
During the day we had a closer look and it was somewhat disappointing.
1. ROOM:
The room was a touch shabby-walls chipped and dirty. Bathroom very dated and dusty. I lay on the bed and couldnt work out where all the dirt kept coming from on the covers and then i looked at my feet and they were black on the soles with dirt. id just had a shower so they wereclean then so it must have been the floor.
My hubby ran a white towel over the floor to check and it was totally utterly filthy. We did complain but in the week it didnt get any cleaner.
The shower was weak and caked in limescale. Also grubby shower curtain. i dont expect a lot for the price but I do expect it to be clean!
No iron in the room which may not seem much but was a total pain. I sent things to laundry to be ironed but they only come back a day later. This isnt a big deal to some people but it is to me. They claimed its due to fire regulations but ive been all over the world and never not been able to have access to an iron in my room.
After being away for a month your things are pretty creased and when you want to go out to a nice restaurant for a meal you want to look decent-not much to ask.

2. FOOD:
Brekfast was just OK. Fruit, cereal juices, pastries and a very small cooked selection. As this was my 5th hotel on our tour I did have plenty to compare it to and it was a limited selection.
Having booked a club room we were looking forward to our afternoon tea. One small cake each and one drinnk and when we asked for extra it didnt go down well at all.
Food at the beach side restaurant was fine we ate there once or twice but its much cheaper to go along the beach and eat at the other little cafes.

3. FACILITIES:
I iddnt use the spa so i cant comment on that. I had a massage on the beach and that was great and cheaper.
A bit of a pain finding a lounger sometimes but did manage in the end round the pool. If you get up after nine then dont expect to get a good spot on the beach either. beach area for hotel is small and if you walk to the right on the beach you will come to another hotel that has a much bigger beach area. cant remember what its called but wish I had stayed there.
One good thing is every couple of days they fog the hotel grounds with some chemical and it prevents mossie attacks. I didnt get bitten once during my stay

4. STAFF:
They were mostly friendly apart from the day of check out.
We went to check out and were told they wanted back the robe we had 'stolen'. Im sure people try this but nowadays you get nothing free from hotels unless you pay for it and i had put both robes in with towels for the housekeeper to take 3 days ago as they were dirty. We did get clean towels back but he didnt replace the robes.
The guy on reception got really cross and its very embarassing but i stuck to my guns and offered to empty my case there and then and he backed off.

The hotel looks nice enough but if you inspect closely it really isnt up to scratch

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2008

From our first day a the hotel to the last day I couldnt fault this hotel. The staff were always smiling and friendly. The food at breakfast was superb, although when I left after being there for 10 days I found I developed a severe case of ' Bali large [--]"... The food was so nice and since we had a free breakfast deal we 'pigged' out big time.
The afternoon teas were scrumptious too.
We also lunch at Donalds on the Beach and Donalds on the main street outside of the hotel. Plus Magos and Kembali down the road a bit. I have never enjoyed myself so much on an overseas holiday... Had some clothes made at 'The Ritz' tailor he is located outside of the Puri turn left and walk up the street he is opposite near the supermarket.
Make sure you barter too.... this is most important.
Finally I found the only rude people at the hotel were the europeans, mainly the Germans ...

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
6  Thank SabreenaH
Reviewed 13 August 2008

What an amazing place!

The hotel is fantastic - a lovely Balinese hotel with beautiful gardens, pools and food!

My wife and i stayed here for 5 days on Honeymoon and loved it!

I was a little disapointed with the beach as it is golden sand, not white, and little swimming opportunity really - but still loved the place and dream of going back.

We ate mainly at the beach bar - regular order of sharing spring rolls, a steak sandwich, a pizza and a few Bali Hi's - which is so cheap and so nice we didnt need to go anywhere else..

Bali is a lovely island - we recommend doing some trips while you are there. A day trip with a trip to the volcanos and the elephant ride are fantastic! The elephant ride was amazing and our driver (well what would you call him?? a handler??) and elephant (Evi) left a long lasting impression on us!

As we were honeymooners we got upgraded to a club room, which was great. Four poster bed, and use of the exclusive pool. Plus the added bonus of different coloured towels so all the staff know you are a club room guest. We notice this when we went on the beach for the first time and had bar service on our loungers...no one else seemed to get this!

We dream of going back! The sounds still ring in our ears.... balinese music, you want transport? Come look in my shop...

Magical.

if you go there, say hi to Johnny Walker for us...

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Klausybaby
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We recently stayed at Puri Santrian (left on 7th August 08). We were 2 families with 5 children between us (aged 16, 14, 14, 11 and 11).

The hotel was good - we didnt actually eat in the hotel as there are so many much cheaper places to eat dinner outside the hotel.

The beach was lovely - the staff kept it clean and tidy.

The children seemed to enjoy themselves - they made use of the variety of watersports on offer on the beach. We also took a trip to Tanjung Benoa where they were able to have a go at tubing and flying fish.

We did a few trips which we booked ourselves with the people outside the hotel - much cheaper than using the tour operators.

We did feel that turtle island was a waste of money and somewhat depressing - not really worth the seasickness at all - also the snorkelling was quite poor the day we went - maybe due to the rough seas but those of us who did brave the water were very disappointed.

The kids really enjoyed Waterbom in Kuta - a really good day out for them.

The weather was fab - really great to have a holiday where we didnt have any rain.

All in all a really super holiday - the hotel is a great base - very comfortable and clean - if you are going there you will have a superb time.

The only down side was the flight out - the timings were changed since we booked and we ended up with a 7 hour wait in Doha - a real drag, fortunately we flew via Singaport on the way back - much much better!!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank LLogie
Reviewed 6 August 2008

We (me, husband, 13yr old and 7yr old daughters) for 10 nights in July and loved it.

The hotel grounds, pools and staff are superb. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. We stayed in the Garden Wing (near to reception) and would be happy to do so again. The Spa is out of this world, we had free "jet lag" massages and thought we had died and gone to heaven!

Our only complaint is that the drains in the bathrooms smelt really bad, so we always kept the doors to the bathrooms closed (as one does anyway, so not really a problem). We did tell reception about this and the smell did improve (drains cleaned out perhaps??) but did not disappear altogether. Having said that, this was our only complaint and frankly not a big enough problem to ask for a room change, remember Bali is in the third world so one shouldn't expect western standards on everything!!

The hotel beach was lovely, even when the tide was out the kids went wild looking at all the starfish, hermit crabs, shells etcetera. We didn't swim in the sea, the pools were just too good!!

Shopping in Sanur was great, although more expensive than Kuta. In fact we found the stall holders less pushy in Kuta so preferred to shop there. Restaurants in Sanur were also more expensive but we really enjoyed eating all over the place, Kuta included. In Sanur we particularly enjoyed the Wayan bar and grill. The beach front restaurant in the Puri Santrian was outstanding although expensive (by Bali standards, but hey, that is what you get when you eat in a hotel).

I have already recommended this hotel to just about everyone who asks how our trip was. I would gladly stay here again, although I would ask to check out the bathrooms first. This hotel only has a 3 star rating, I think it is the bathrooms that let it down, also minor things like towels being old and not very soft, poor internet access etc. I couldn't care less about these sorts of minor details. What is important to me is the hotel surrounds, location, pools, staff and cleanliness and comfort of the rooms and on these points the hotel more than delivers. If you are looking for all the extras that a luxury 5 star hotel provides then this isn't the hotel for you. If you are a family or a couple on a bit of a budget looking for an above average hotel then this is the one.

I hope this helps, we chose this hotel based on the outstanding reviews we read here!

Enjoy!!