“Great holiday”
Review of Puri Santrian

Puri Santrian
Ranked #19 of 79 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My aunty (82), my cousin & myself have just come back from 3 week stay in this wonderful hotel. The room we had, which was on the ground floor near one of the pools was a great size for 3 beds, the only negative thing, was the bathroom needs to be updated - get rid of the bath & put in a large shower (the shower is in the bath). Had plenty of hot water. Absolutely no complaints about the food. We only ate out 4 times (wish we hadn't). No complaints about the price of meals - it cost us approximately $450 each for lunch, dinner, wine & cocktails for 2 weeks. We swam in the main pool & if you couldn't get a lounge, it was no big deal, we went & sat on the lounges on the beach. The staff were very happy to help you in any way they could. All greeted you with a smile and a greeting. I wouldn't like to stay at the Club because it seemed to be very enclosed & no cool breezes. The hotel is right on the beach at Sanur, so there is plenty to occupy the family, bicycles, paddle boards, canoes, yoga, 3 pools and the beach - all free.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the ground floor, near to the main pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HeatherGH
Write a ReviewReviews (2,347)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was my fourth visit to Puri Santrian in Sanur. On the last two visits I have stayed in the Santrian Club section of the hotel where guests have access to a private pool and sun lounges. I traveled alone this time so my need for a sense of security was among my priorities. From the "welcome drink" served on check-in at the hotel to the collection of luggage on departure my experience has always been positive. Unlike Kuta and surrounds, Sanur has a calmer, more dignified feel, and this is reflected in the Puri Santrian. The staff are polite and helpful, among my favorites are Darma (Beach Club Restaurant) and Sonia (Guest Relations).The staff in the Spa are excellent; definitely recommend a visit there on arrival to start the holiday relaxed and pampered. (Guys too.)
Last visit I had a first floor room which was my preference. This time I had a ground floor room on the shady side of the garden. I found this to be a little dark and a favorite haunt of mosquitoes. However, the hotel undertakes "fogging" three times a week to keep mosquitoes and other pests under control. My bed had mosquito nets all around so sleeping wasn't hindered by "biteys".
American Breakfast is outstanding! Fresh fruit;muesli, cereals, yogurt, hot bacon, sausages, baked beans, vegetables, pancakes, varieties of bread, bakery items, European fare (cold meats and cheeses), and any type of eggs cooked to your liking. I can never eat lunch after eating breakfast!
I'll be going back next year if possible.

Room Tip: Higher floors have more direct access to sunshine. Avoid shady side in garden rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Coral D
Reviewed 22 June 2014

From the welcome from the concierge at the airport for our transfer to leaving ever member of staff was friendly and helpful. We had a club room and although being in the club courtyard with exclusive pool was very nice the room had a strong damp smell on arrival that took some getting rid of. The room was also tired and thus not very inspiring. Aside from the room the hotel was faultless.

Room Tip: Club is good if you want a child free area including a pool
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We have just come back from this hotel. We stayed in the club rooms which have a four poster bed and a private pool.

The room were nice, bit of a funny layout, our sink was almost next to the front door and it took a bit of time for hot water when showering but in a hot country like Bali it does not matter so much.

The club pool was lovely, had 2 different sections to it and plenty of space to lie around on sunbeds. Slight issue for sunlovers, there is properly only 4 sunloungers that get sun all day so if you wanted to sunbath and not just relax you need to be on the sun loungers by roughly 9am to secure the prime spot. We think this was designed like this as most tourists to this location want the heat but not the sun as they generally get sun all year round. For us Brits the beach was a good spot if you missed out on a sunbed, be warned there was a lovely cooling breeze but it meant you burned easily as you forgot about the sun.
There are 2 other pools, we used the pool by the spa was swimming laps as it is longer, we did not use the main pool as this was normally packed and nowhere to sit.
Unlike other reviews, I thought breakfast was good, there was a huge amount of bacon with 2 different types of crispiness and you could ask for any type of cooked egg you wanted. There was also a wide range of bread products, melon and other random cooked products, I had samosas one day.
As club room guests we were entitled to a free afternoon tea, this was not enough to fill you up but was a nice snack, they changed the menu everyday and it was always a nice surprise wondering what you would get each day. You got a pot of tea each (I had hotel chocolate as I don't drink tea or coffee) and this was enough for 3-4 cups.
Compared to outside the hotel, the food and drink was western prices, inside the hotel you eat for 40GBP outside it was more like 14GBP.
We had the romantic meal and this cost 1.6million rupiah, it was a lovely experience, we had our own waiter, a prime spot on the beach with candles dotted around and five courses of food. To be honest, whilst it was a lovely evening, it was just so much more than any other meal we had had (average meal price was 300k rupiah) it was obvious they were aware of western prices and you definitely paid many times more than was potentially necessary.

Please do not take my negatives as our overall opinion, it was paradise, you were right on the beach with 3 different pools to choose from so you were spoilt for choice. I felt the hotel was clean and tidy, there was constantly people tidying, cleaning, making the place look lovely and they were all very friendly that I cannot fault them.
I just felt because we were westerners that we were used as cash cows, but this is all of Bali. It costs 200k rupiah per person to LEAVE the country as well as the 200k per person to arrive which is not a pleasant surprise as we had used up all of our currency before so had to pay an extortionate exchange rate to use GBP instead. This is nothing to do with the hotel just a FYI.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Phoenao
Reviewed 22 June 2014

After having stayed at the Puri Santrian last May in the Club rooms we decided to stay in the Premier Deluxe rooms this year, same price as the Club rooms. Before departing last year we viewed one of the newly renovated Premier Deluxe bungalows and duly booked these direct with the hotel later in the year. I was not very happy when upon arrival we were escorted to a second floor room as there was a construction site right in front of the bungalows..The room was lovely fairly newly renovated but I missed having a balcony which the ground floor rooms enjoyed. Having said this the Puri Santrian is still a lovely property - not too big with lovely grounds and very attentive staff. A very special thank you to Dama, Somawati and Erlina in the Beach Club restaurant. The Puri santrian has three large pools with one exclusively for Club room guests. I note there are now signs at the pools advising guests that sun lounges can not be reserved and towels left longer than 30 minutes will be removed but alas I saw no evidence of this happening with many guests placing towels on prime sun loungers and then going out only to return hours later.Having said all that I would definately stay at this hotel again

Room Tip: ask for a ground floor room
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Great hotel, we were upgraded to the Santrain club that had its own pool and slightly larger rooms (with four poster beds). The grounds of the hotel are very well maintained and the staff are very friendly and helpful. They also offered an excellent money changing rate so saved the hassle of using the shops. If you want a laid back holiday that is quiet and peaceful then this is for you. Some of the rooms are on the second and third floors and there are no lifts so if you struggle with stairs ask for a ground floor.

Room Tip: The Santrain club offers bigger rooms and exclusive pool, ask for upgrade we got it free.
1  Thank Woody169
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We decided to book this hotel after walking past during a previous visit to Sanur.
The service is hood and we especially enjoyed our chats with the Customer Service rep 'Adi' st breakfast.
Our room wasn't as good as we hoped for, tired and in need of renovation. There was a cockerel constantly in full voice throughout the night which was very annoying and had many disturbed nights sleep!
The hotel also scrambled the world cup football but never told us until leaving that we could have watched it on the TV in the foyer lounge :(
Breakfast was a little dissapointing and mostly cold.
The location of the hotel on the beach is good and plenty of Sunbeds but in comparison the Prama Sanur Beach hotel next door (where we stayed previously) I would most likely go back to the Prama next time.

1  Thank BaligirlPerthWA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanur
Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Kejora Suites
Kejora Suites
#8 of 79 in Sanur
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Puri Santrian? Share your experiences!