Atta kaMAYA Resort and Villas
Puri Santrian(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$112
Great 4.5/5
Segara Village Hotel(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$182
US$100
Great 4.5/5
Sri Phala Resort & Villa(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$45
US$97
US$79
Hotels.com
Good 3.5/5
Sativa Sanur Cottages(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$58
US$46
US$274
US$199
Excellent 5/5
Vila Shanti Beach Hotel(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$90
Travelocity
Good 3.5/5
Taksu Sanur Hotel(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$64
US$49
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
Inna Sindhu Beach(Sanur)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$56
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
All reviewslanai roomprivate poolfree shuttleshuttle servicethe complimentary afternoon teawalk into townnice quiet placeour honeymoonfish pondmain poolnice bathroombreakfast was deliciousfantastic staysanur areawelcome drinknusa duacoils
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This was my second stay in a private pool villa in Bali area. Last year it was Villa Coco in Seminyak. I have stayed in about 15 different places in Bali and Lombok and had over 20 visits since 1981.

So why did I chose kaMaya this trip?

I was looking for a non-tourist, non-shopping, non-television/wifi type of place. I wanted to be left alone to regenerate my spirit. I wanted a place I did not have to leave for anything.
KaMaya is perfect for that.

We had a private villa with pool, but i am sure the private Lanai (room) with pool would have been adequate, since we were only two people. The pool was truly private, suited to swimming naked ( you have more room in your travel bag if you don't have to pack a swim suit). The pool was quite big, clean and utterly relaxing. I spent about two hours nonstop each day in it.

I visited the spa each day of our 5 day holiday. 3 massages, a pedicure, mandi lalur, facial and my husband loved his massages, too. The spa space is very new, artistic and private. Great. Not cheap but not costly, good service and convenient not having to leave the resort.

Our villa was very comfortable with a great outdoor bathroom... I love this kind of Bali... and being outdoors all the time. The resort is older, so be prepared for moss growing on walls, etc.

If you want a newish resort with trendy style and a buzz, go to Villa Coco in Seminyak because kaMara is none of those speedy things.

Breakfast each morning in our private gazebo.. always eggs any style, great fresh fruit and juices. Bali coffee - yum. Lunch by the resort pool, just for a change of scenery and lunch was the best menu in my opinion.

We had two dinners at the resort and they were the least appealing. The place is so small that the kitchen can't compete on having fresh, wide selection of dinner options.

Two nights we walked 5 minutes to Safare, on the corner by the beach and had Italian. Wonderful food. Another night we walked slowly about half an hour along the beach, north to main Sanur area and ate at Santika Hotel. Wonderful food, great beach scene.

Our favourite non-resort activity was the 5 minute walk to the local beach/recreation ground and spending an hour with local Sanurites unwinding at end of the day. kite flying, fishing, soccer games, just having fun. lots of local families since Bali school holidays had just started.

To us the best part of the location of kaMaya is that it is in a residential, non-tourist area of south Sanur. Balinese people going about their daily lives, not serving tourists.
Loved it.

We took the resort's free transport into Sanur one day to shop at supermarket and have lunch on the beach and yes, the taxi is only $2 back. We visited in late April, early May and the wet season was truly over, only a 20 minute shower one day. The villa inside was mossie proof, so no problem with insects.

If you want to be left alone in relatively inexpensive comfort, kaMaya is perfect. We booked a package on Expedia which included airfares and I think it was great value.

Room Tip: there are only about 8 or 10 rooms and they would all have their particular positives. Some rooms seemed to be recently renovated. Ours, Tirta, was old, but quite acceptable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rubybellissimo
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed in March 2013 and cannot recommend kaMAYA highly enough. On arrival I was given a welcome drink and then taken to my one bedroom villa which had a welcome basket of fruit also a private pool. Really nice touches late at night after a flight.

The room had a rustic feel with plenty of Balinese furniture pieces and a timber four poster bed but also had all the mod cons to make for a luxurious stay. The bed wasn't the best I've slept in but still comfy enough. The 'outdoor' bathroom was lovely and had a sunken bath - products were provided to have a bubble bath!

The private pool was so great. I stayed in Villa 3 and the garden had plenty of morning sunshine which was great before the heat of the day kicks in. The villa has a free shuttle service to central Sanur however each day I asked to use it it was unavailable for various reasons. A bit annoying but a cab ride is only a few dollars and quick enough.

On my second last day I was asked to move Villa's as there was a double booking for my room. I was upgraded at no cost to a massive two story two bedroom villa with an even bigger private pool and garden. It was enormous and pure bliss!

I barely saw another guest in the few days I was there - very private spot and the staff are non-intrusive. This resort is 'out of the way' however if you have a scooter or want to cab it to town it's not far. Great place to switch off and have a few days peace and quiet.

Room Tip: From the hotel, ask your cab driver to drop you near Hardy's as it's a good central spot to wonder around to and from. Ask him to pick you up again too for a round trip good rate :)
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank Michelle H
Reviewed 26 February 2013

This place was incredible: green, lush, exotic flowers, birds, butterflies, frogs, traditional Balinese Villas, comfortable bed, clean, very nice and helpful staff.

We stayed in the Villa Bija and had a beautiful private pool. Perfect for lounging in the water with a book and glass of wine or beer.

Noteworthy:
-There is free afternoon tea and fruit from 4pm-6pm(?). They will bring it to your room if you call room service.
-There was NOT hot water.. it was cool. We figured locals probably don't typically have hot water either.. for us it made the stay more authentic. We chose to not make a fuss. Showering during the daytime when it was warm out wasn't bad at all.
-There was only one outlet in the entire Villa so bring a power strip. There was an adapter in the room.
-There are mosquitos so if you're prone to be eaten alive, wear the lotion/spray while you're there. The room had a can of spray that was for use in the air, not on your skin. The rooms also had mosquito coils to burn if you like.
-The resort seemed to be difficult to find for taxis so grab a business card from reception and keep it on you.
-They offer free flowers in the room upon request. There was a bouquet of roses on the bed with petals in a heart shape and more petals all throughout the bathtub.
-At night was noisy sometimes with the frogs croaking and (what sounded like) monkeys making a ruckus in the trees. Bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper.

All in all this place blew our mind. Neither of us wanted to leave.

Room Tip: Definitely pay the extra for a private pool!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LKM_81
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We recently stayed at Kamaya, and de-stressed the minute we arrived.
We stayed in a Lanai with pool, the most exotic outdoor bathroom, the lovely balinese style bed with pristine white mosquito nets all around.
Tranquility, peace and quiet, which was exactly what overworked hubby needed. Bagus and the staff were soooo friendly, helpful and accomodating that we did'nt want to leave.
Had a very relaxing Balinese massage (complimentary) and were taken to town several times by shuttle, also complimentary.
Cannot recommend this resort highly enough, just 5 minutes from the heart of Sanur, but within the walls of this lovely resort, you feel many miles away from day to day hustle and bustle. Excellent!!! Thank you.

Room Tip: The Lanai with pool is the best option for couples, a lovely escape from the heat, and the outdoor bath and shower are sooo nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank peteswife_13
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We reached there in low season, Jan 2013. The hotel is clean. I feel that it needs a little bit more of maintenance. Linens and towers are clean. We have no problem with it. There is only one power outlet inside my room (it’s a lanai with pool). Thus, I had to arrange timing to charge my gadgets such as phones and cameras.

It’s a wonderful garden hotel. I fallen in love with Balinese architectural style and it arrangements. During my stayed, having breakfast beside my private swimming pools made me forget my busy, hustle and bustle life.

The spa in the hotel looks nice and clean. I just miss out my chance to try spa as my arrangement are too rush.

It would be better if I can get more lighting in my room. Even I switch on all lights; I found out that it’s still dark. Introducing adjustable lightings could be a solution.

It’s rainy season in Bali. Mosquitoes are everywhere on the island. It may be ok of locals but we can’t stand for it. It’s so painful though. We don’t like insecticide smell in our air-conditioned bedroom. The hotel should find better solution to tackle mosquito problem for rainy season.

It is 30 minutes drive from busy and crowded Denpasar city which is good. It has an arrangement for free shuttle bus service to Sanur beach. Sanur beach is not as busy as Kuta beach but it has own charm. It is more family friendly beach compare to Kuta. The restaurants at Sanur are so good though.

For all in all, I feel so happy of staying there. Staffs are friendly. It worth what I paid. I already recommended my close friend on this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple