“Romantic and private but disappointing breakfast and location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of kaMAYA Resort and Villas

kaMAYA Resort and Villas
Ranked #44 of 76 Hotels in Sanur
Melbourne, Australia
“Romantic and private but disappointing breakfast and location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

My partner and I stayed 4 nights in a lovely room with plunge pool. It was very private, just what we were looking for however the breakfast was very disappointing. The selection was small, presentation and taste average as compared to other places we stayed. Staff were friendly and unobtrusive. Our plunge pool area was also poorly lit at night so sitting outside to read or play a board game was challenging.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TM1970

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Tallinn
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2010

Quite expencive place to stay in Bali. Compared to different hotels in Bali it was probably worst. Location is far from swimming beach and restaurants, scaring neibourhood. Inside look is ok but as kitchen was also worst in Bali and Spa too expencive then we do not recommend.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ValloTallinn
Northern Beaches
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2010

I had the pleasure of spending 5 nights at this amazing compound. I was after the true Bali experience not a Hotel you could find anywhere in the world. What others call run down and tired I would describe as "rustic" & "authentic". Yes there was moss on the indoor/outdoor bathroom walls and cracked paint etc but it was exactly what I wished for. The Lanai was spacious the old wide wooden floorboards and the canopy bed were stunning. Every detail was authentic and delivered a true balinese experience. The bathroom huge and the bungalows were private with good outside courtyards. My fish pond had a visiting crab (obviously lost!) The aircon was adequate and my room was cleaned and bed turned down every day and I did not see a staff member in my room at all. The breakfast was generous and really good offering both Western & Balinese cuisine. Compared with the other hotel I stayed in Ubud it was 100% better.
The staff were polite and friendly and even came looking for me when I was late home from a walk on the first night!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank SoleFemaleTraveller
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

The photos on the website are not up to date.

We stayed there for 7 nights.

Negatives
*the rooms are in need of repairs and maintenance
*the staff can be a bit intrusive at times, walking in to your private garden without letting u know
*the breakfast is good except after a week we were a bit tired of the same thing
* the staff will happily rip you off. I expected this on the street but not our hotel. Upon departure we asked for them to call a taxi to the airport, they offered us the hotel shuffle and asked us to pay 4 times the cost of a taxi. Luckily we had asked a taxi driver earlier in the day how much it would cost. It seems that the staff pocket the $ from these trips as they were never put on our account but always in cash. Needless to say this left a bad taste in our mouth

Positives
*Breakfast
*The cats that live at the Waka Maya
*it's quiet
*pool was great.
I wouldn't recommend it. I believe for the same $ you could find much nicer place with better staff

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Cunnington22
Eaton, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

We were staying in Candidasa but wanted to come down to Sanur to meet up with friends and decided to stay the night to avoid the longish drive back to CD.
We wanted some place in the general area that WM is located and as most were booked-out, I had a look at Waka Maya's rates. I was able to get a reasonbale deal and looked forward to staying - it looks like a beautifu resort on its website and I've always been drawn-in when the rooms boast canopy beds, eclectic collections of timber, woven and ceramic pieces and your own private plunge pool.
After a fair degree of difficulty finding Waka Maya (it's a bit hidden in the backblocks of Sanur and many of the signs to it, point in the wrong direction or are too small and/or overgrown) we finally arrived. We were welcomed and offered a cooling drink and cold towels. Then in due course, shown to our lanai. Yes all those collected objects, as per the web pics were there, but unfortunately it's as though you are looking in an old forgotten house...no there's no dust, just a once lovely room in a building which appears to be fading away in front of your eyes. You can see that it was once very pretty. It now is at a point where urgent repairs, remodelling and refurbishing is required before all is lost.
Many walls on these buildings sport large cracks and areas in need of new paint. Our outdoor thatched gazebo had what we thought was a water proof sheet on top...when it rained it proved it was not and the rain poured down onto the only table, chairs and cushions where we could sit together and have a drink or a meal. We did our best to get them out of the rain. I also wonder how long the main roofs will last as the thatching appears to be very thin on the lanais.
We wanted a pot of coffee, after getting back from meeting our friends, at 11pm. we founhd that the kitchen was closed and you cannot make anything for yourself because there's no tea/coffee facilities in your room. I would have brought my own had I realised that room service closed earlyish at Waka Maya.
We found the staff lovely, the breakfast in the upper dining area, very enjoyable, the beds comfortable and the bathroom all working pretty much as it should.
Would I stay again, no, and had I booked to stay longer, I most likely would have left early. I just did not find the rooms comfortable or where I would want to spend a lot of time. The chairs in the room were not at all comfy - one being a bench and the other a hard leather chair. I think being so isolated and with little to do apart from reading books, also makes its position a bit of a negative for us.
I look forward to hearing that Waka Maya is being refurbished. I would then love to see what they achieve when they have brought back to life this once lovely property.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue C
Hamburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2009

This was our third visit to Bali, but this was the first time with an infant, our 10 month old boy. This is also the first time writing a review after many years. After I read the feedbacks for this hotel I want to help people in taking the decision booking this hotel. We were very happy and felt comfortable. We booked four nights and spent eight nights.

Before going to our rented private villa in eastern Bali, I was searching for a place for me and my small family with the following issues: 1) Close to a tourist spot (Sanur - less tourists than in other southern places - less party); 2) With internet connection, because we still had to work a bit - we brought our own laptops; 3) And as private as possible.
Waka Maya fullfilled our high expectations in many ways.

I found a very good deal via internet for a Lanai with pool. Because we arrived very late the first night, I booked one w/o pool for that night. They upgraded this first night and brought us directly to our Lanai with pool, where we spend the following week. After hard bargaining they gave us the same price like in the internet.

A small beautiful garden, a swimming pool, a beautiful bathroom, a beautiful room - with a very good mattress, the Air-con position was very good, not disturbing, minimized to the most important things. If you want to have a tv, ask for it, we didn´t need one.

Also I read in one of the former feedbacks, the problem with antz. Of course there are antz and other small animals when you have a garden, unless you wish they use some "Baygon" - poison, than you won´t find them anymore. We didn´t want. The housekeeping cleaned the place twice a day, and we took care not to leave food somewhere outside. So it was perfect for us.

They have a Wi-Fi spot - so we used a very good connection from our place and the hotel didn´t charge for it. I know, that in a lot of places they would charge you a lot per hour for a bad connection.

What we didn´t know when we arrived was that they have a free shuttle in some new cars to Sanur, wherever we wanted to go there and same with the pickup. For a bit extra they also drive you to Denpasar - more convenient than ordering a cab. The drivers were also very helpful as most of the staff.

To the beach you have to walk five minutes and for me it was the nicer part of the beach - the beginning of the sanur beach, no big hotels. Just the Mercure you can walk through. The WakaMaya has a beach bar, but we didn´t go.

The Spa in the hotel is in a beautiful setting and the ladies working there, they really know,what they are doing. I experienced this not in every SPA where I went to. Also it is expensive, but for the very clean and beautiful place it is worth paying for it.

The food is okay - but more for westerness who don´t like spicy food. If you like to get a real taste of Bali, ask the driver to bring you to "Warung Blajoeng" - if you like it spicy, order the original balinese version - the food was perfect for us and the staff is very friendly. The only dissapointment was that every morning we had to repeat our breakfast order, so the things you would like to get you have to ask for it. I think it is okay, so they don´t have to throw away to much.

Our experience in the hotel with our son was perfect. We had a villa a bit farer away from the main pool, so we didn´t disturb anybody while our son was screaming during night-time, teething. If needed they can organize a crib or baby bed and a babysitter.

I think they can organize neearly everything - you just have to ask for it. Especially if you ask Pak Bagus.

If you are searching for a beatuiful relaxed place, with friendly staff, and you have no problem with it, to get to the main restaurants by having a short drive (before 11pm) - I would highly recommend the WakaMaya. Make sure that the hotel is still offering the free shuttle before. Also if there is no shuttle available hotel takes care of transportation.

If you are searching for a partying place, a beach place where you see sunburned and/ or the drunken partying people, than please stay away.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ButetCS
sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

Not in a very good location and that really didn't matter because our stay was excellent.
(free shuttle service is provided by the resort to and from various places)
We stayed in Lanai with plunge pool, what a romantic place, rooms very clean and spacious, the outside bathroom was lovely and the plunge pool (oh well what can we say)
The staff, so very friendly and service excellent, they were always at hand whatever you needed them for. Breakfast was included in our room (villa) rate and fit for a king.
Thank you Waka Maya for making this a great holiday. We loved the Resort & also Thank you to the staff for the excellent, friendly (always smiling) service.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple