“The Essence of Bali”
Review of Tandjung Sari

Tandjung Sari
Ranked #4 of 78 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This hotel deserves a reward for fostering the essence of Bali: quiet solitude amid Bali sculptures and art. Regretfully, Sanur has lost the essence of Bali with its plethora of bars, tattoo parlors, noise and unkempt streets outside the gates. (We have been travelling to Bali since the 1970s and lived in nearby Surabaya for three years.) The Tandjung Sari Hotel is a little peace of heaven, tucked away from the hurly burly. The villas are unique with much tender care taken to give the guest privacy and solitude. The shower under the stars, the "gazebo" hut in the Villa's garden, the large bed and tub all cater to privacy and quiet. The management comes from a distinguished Balinese family. The staff is outstanding, the beach area beautiful, the meals better than anything available outside the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peter202_11
There are newer reviews for Tandjung Sari

Reviewed 13 December 2013

I love Tandjung Sari mostly for the memories, but also for the fact that it has never let me down! The first time I went was with friends and their parents, who had had their honeymoon years ago at the Tandjung Sari, and I've kept going back, even though it's not quite of the squeaky clean and luxurious caliber of the other Bali hotels that I know and love...The service is just so friendly, they treat you not only just like family, but as if you are their *favorite* family member! The food is also delicious, the rooms are spacious and very comfortable, and count as 'luxurious' for a Sanur hotel. The hotel is within easy walking distance from Sanur's (limited) attractions, but it's just such a lovely and peaceful place to stay that I don't mind it being a little bit out of the Seminyak way. The service is the highlight, but the beach is also good, even great, for Sanur!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2013

A little piece of heaven, we always have a few nights here to start our Bali trip and sometimes at the end too! We love everything about this hotel, rooms, staff, food, atmosphere. If you are like me and are not so keen on polyester sheets, I asked the manager who said that pure cotton can be provided! Nothing is too much trouble!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely, the more expensive ones are Devine and closer to the beach but the garden...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AliceK28
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We had a great experiance in Tandjung Sari in Sanur,
the staff is excellent, food is great and not that expensive compared to local restaurants,
villa's are great, have a lot of space and a very nice and romantic bathroom. Even outdoor private garden is a nice place to relax with a good book and a cup of thea.
There are only 32 villa's available and it al feels very calm and relaxing.
We had a wonderfull and romantic experance, it felt like we had a second honeymoon.

Room Tip: Even their standard villa is great.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I just spent a few nights at Tandjung Sari in a village bungalow and I'm sad to only be giving it mixed reviews. I absolutely loved my bungalow; it had a gorgeous terrazzo tub, an outdoor shower, a big beautiful bed and the air conditioning was quiet enough that I could still hear the birds. The beach, pool and restaurant areas were nice with plenty of places to sit in the sun or shade. There also didn't seem to be any competition for beach loungers which was a nice surprise!

Unfortunately the service at the hotel was nothing to write home about. Upon arriving we were not met with any smiles or eye contact, just a perfunctory 'Welcome to Tandjung Sari' followed by the news that our room was not ready (despite arriving after the suggest arrival time...) Subsequent interactions with the staff, mainly in the restaurant, suggested that they needed a few lessons on customer service. It took forever to have an order taken and at times the orders never arrived. I know this is minor but the bar staff also never came out to take orders from the people on the beach - even if we had empty glasses.

If the service improves than I would happily return to Tandjung Sari, I will always have fond memories of that lovely bungalow!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jane R
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We had 5 days at Tandjung Sari after our flight was cancelled, and it was a lovely experience. We stayed in a garden bungalow, and adored everything about it: its Balinese authenticity, the antique tiles, the enormous pink bathtub, the outdoor mandi, the beautiful gardens and the private bale. Service was thoughtful and friendly, yet unobtrusive, and always helpful, for example letting me use the office computer, at no charge, to print and scan documents for the insurance company. The food was delicious, the beach and lap pool beautiful. I particularly liked the small, unique touches...the sarong and nightshirt, the palm leaf hat, and the night- time turn down service which saw our sarongs and nightshirts delightfully folded on the end of the bed. This is not a hotel for you if you are looking for slick, modern, flat screen tv, 5 star, swim up bar Bali. But if you like a gracious antique, you will like Tandjung Sari.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darwinflashpacker
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Following a bad fall on a slippery sidewalk in Sanur we stayed here for ten nights rather than our planned four. The staff were enormously helpful. Dewa, a front desk manager who retired the week we checked out, conjured up a wheelchair at no charge, an expert masseuse, and excellent aluminum crutches for $35. Breakfast came to my room promptly with no room service charge. The Tandjung Sari has wonderful breakfasts. Staff helped my wife wheel me out for dinner by the beach and get me back in afterwards.

Our bungalow was spacious and comfortable with the largest bathtub I have ever seen. It did take rather long to fill though. A separate outside loge provided a private place to relax outside.

And now for the niggles, two under management's control and two not. Being near the airport there is quite a bit of aircraft noise in the evening, at least until midnight. Being in a party town, one can also hear people in town having fun on some nights until 1.00am.

Other hotels we stayed in provided ample free bottled water. We could not get more than four small bottles a day for love or money. Despite the excellent food, dinner service was unpredictable. One evening we had to wait almost an hour for our meal to come despite a multitude of young staff wandering seemingly aimlessly around.

Had I night been injured I would probably have shrugged this off. Tanjung Sari is fine for a couple of nights to see Sanur and be close to the airport, but I would not voluntarily stay longer.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple