“Loved Sanur loved the Griya”
Review of Griya Santrian

Griya Santrian
Ranked #17 of 79 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and best friend stayed here in May this year for 6 nights we absolutely loved this hotel pools were great new section is incredible our rooms were beautiful we didn't book breakfast as we wanted to try restaurants in the area and we lived Mona Lisa across the street and little bird Warung and luhtus on the beach front . The 7 kilometre walkway out the front is fantastic and bike hire at 3 bucks for 24 hors really good value all,round we will be back next year for sure !! Best sunrise every morning out the front !!

Room Tip: New section in the middle was great for us and quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LSherwood
Write a ReviewReviews (1,564)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have stayed at the Griya Santrian at least a dozen times over the last 15 years and we will continue to stay there. Best value for money in Sanur, friendly staff, great location, beautiful clean beachfront, wonderful alinese food in the restaurant. What more could one ask for. Lately we have been staying their once a year and even spent a week at the Puri Santrian which was a bit like being in a retirement village by comparison - there is a lot more buzz at the Griya. Can recommend doing the yoga class - Ketuk is excellent! Certainly a room in the beach wing is most desirable however the garden wing offers 3 swimming pools all gorgeous!

Room Tip: Try and secure a room in the beach wing - the deluxe are renovated and are lovely, worth spending th...
2  Thank Lesley K
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Love the way you feel like you're actually in Bali and not another stock standard hotel. Beach frontage is great and pool is amazing overlooking the sea.

We did the cooking class on the beach after a trip with the staff to the local market. They even explained some of the local delicacies and fruits.

We will be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jess G
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wedding was held in Griya Santrian 2 years ago, now as a happy customer, my family very excitedly planned to go back to the hotel for a vacation. what happen? there was a Miscommunication happened regarding number of persons, and after spending so much money at my wedding reception FOR 100 PERSON, they can't make an exception for their repeated customer, saying "No extra bed in Deluxe Room". I mean, can you even imagine it? oh i forgot to mention, the situation happened AT THE LOBBY OF THE HOTEL, AND TWO LITTLE CHILDREN can't have rest, because they are so stubborn regarding no EXTRA BED in DELUXE ROOM, only in Standard room.

I really cant believe my ears, listen to that Rule, which i have no problem actually, but sometimes (as somebody who worked in the Hotel industry as well) you really need to see the situation.

So, I leave it up to you guys.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank RiyanMudadalam
santrian, Manager at Griya Santrian, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Griya Santrian Guest-RiyanMudadalam

Thank you for taking your time to post your review in trip advisor.

We value your time and appreciate your feedback, since guest`s perspective is vital to us and is important for us to make guests experience memorable.

It`s most unfortunate that you found your family booking was not in line with our policy and was not satisfactory. Actually our existing confirmation for the booking was for 02 persons, while your family was coming with 04 pax at check in.
Our deluxe has been long known to be strictly for up to 02 persons as the room cannot accommodate extra bed due to room lay out.

It has always been our goal to exceed our guest`s expectation and we do value your previous wedding with us that our front office manager has offered alternative room type that accepts extra bed, but regret to learn the offer was refused. Most of our rooms take extra bed ie garden wing, beach wing and suite, but we were running very tight occupancy and we are sorry that the only room that takes extra bed available was garden wing and the reserved room of deluxe.

We do hope despite of your disappointment on this occasion you will allow us to serve you again in the future.

Best Regards
The Management

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed one night with my new girlfriend at this hotel. We loved the location - right next to the beach. I highly recommend eating dinner by the beach. It is cheaper than eating outside the hotel, great views, great music and good food ! The room, though it didn't have a sea view, was clean. The bed was very comfortable. Since the windows have blinds and not curtains I was a little worried about privacy. Several nice swimming pools on the property including a jacuzzi. There's a very cheap Balinese massage place outside the property on the main road which I highly recommend.
Service was a bit spotty at times but nothing to complain about. The welcome drink on check in was very refreshing.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We returned home yesterday after a fortnight at the Griya Santrian. We were recommended to this hotel and it certainly reached our expectations. The staff were unfailingly polite,cheerful, and friendly and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them. The grounds and pool areas were immaculately kept. This is a small hotel in a prominent position in Sanur and we felt the hotel has a nice friendly appeal. The beach area was cleaned every day. We had a breakfast package which was fresh and plentiful, buffet style. The hotel has a calm atmosphere and feels very laid back. You will find when walking along the beach you will be offered massages. My partner had tried three different places and would recommend Yanti which is in front of the restaurant Kami Sama which is 200 yards left of leaving the Griya Santrian. The best £2.50 you can spend for a half an hour and it did my back a treat. The only down side of the Griya we can think of was having to come home! PS. did the reviewer under this actually stay at the same hotel as so many people we spoke to were on their second, third or more visits there.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back by small pool very quiet.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

First, the beach. That was good. It's a good beach. Good for swimming, and very pretty. Then, the location: pretty good as well, very close to everything. But that's about most places in Sanur area.
But then, there is the hotel itself, and I thought it was poor.
Checking in was the slowest check in on the planet. Seriously, I was the only one checking in at 6:00 pm, and I came earlier than I wanted, because I wanted to get few things done. Almost seemed like they go through so much fuss when you check in, to indicate to the guests, it is a luxury place.
The entrance is grand, you drive into a security post, and the lobby is ran down, but fancy. Not my cup of tea, but whatever. At 6:40, I went into my room. If I may be blunt, I hated it. Got room 206, it smelled like pee, everything is old, so basic, stains were everywhere, didn't feel very clean, but was not dirty. No rooms are with sea view. Feels like a big giant complex, small balconies, overlooking nothing special, are crowded with one another. No sense of privacy, No power outlets. Made my coffee on the floor, took the lamp cord out to use it.
When I came in, I had to open the door to let air in, because I could not stand the smell, but then mosquitoes came in (there is a pool-- there are mosquitoes), I called reception, and told them it's too smelly. At 7:10, I got room 205, but the AC did not work, so They gave me room 203, the smell of pee was not as bad, but still the rooms and hallways are so run down, not taken care of, smelly, and so very disappointing. That was my last days in Bali, and I stayed in many places, much cheeper, and by far Griya was the worst, so no wonder I was disappointed.
Also the wifi, got to log in every few minutes. Acceptable, but not for this type of hotel.
Staff keeps professional attitude and very slow. They are polite, but they do not really care. I booked this hotel last minute, and it was my second stay in Sanur, my first time was at a guest house, which was the Ritz in comparison to this place. I thought Ill treat myself with a nice hotel, but I chose wrong. Not good value in my opinion.

Breakfast is full, and decent, especially if you are into big breakfast buffet.

Room Tip: Just know that there are no rooms with beach view. All rooms are facing the garden.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank liat-geographic

Dear Griya Santrian Guest-liat-geographic

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience with us on trip advisor.

We`re happy to learn that you found the resort beach & location are good and beautiful.
Your highlight on our full breakfast it`s also much appreciated.

We however are very concerned to learn that we did not meet your expectation with regards to the room, check in process and other areas mentioned, as such we would like to offer our sincere apologies.

Please rest assured that your comments have been shared and addressed with the concerned departments for improvement.

In the meantime I hope you will consider revisiting us and if we can be of any assistance in this regard please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you again for your feedback.

Best regards