This was our first time to Bali and after travelling for 27 hours we looked forward to the fabled Balinese hospitality! After heaving our own luggage to reception we were advised our garden room wasn't ready (this was 3pm) but the deluxe room for the couple checking in alongside of us was! We had to go away and wait for half an hour when all we wanted was a shower and some clean clothes! The room we were shown to was up rickety stairs and in very shabby state of repair - there were gaps in the window frames - the mozzies and bugs highway no doubt! The bathroom was very worn and tatty and the toilet was on continous flush. We wondered who had written all the glowing reports on tripadvisor or had they been in a different hotel! The final straw was the darkness of the room and I knew I could not stick a week reading by torchlight - so I returned to reception and asked to be moved to another room - after much muttering and keyboard tapping by the non too happy man - we were asked to come back later and he would see what he could do - we didnt hold out much hope as we had already waited 45 mins for our luggage which only appeared after I called reception again.
We went to eat and by this time were desperatly tired. We returned to the hotel an hour or so later and were told to pack our luggage and we were moved to another room. this was 8.30pm by this time.
WOOPEE! our holiday started! We were given a second floor room in a new block overlooking the little swimming pool - it was everything the other room wasnt - bright ,clean, new fittings ,spacious and most of all light and bright. So don't accept a shabby room because the hotel is only 3 star they clearly have 4 and 5 star standard rooms available.
We then had a very happy stay and the staff all appeared to be smiling and helpful. Other people have mentioned the fantastic gardens and the excellent location of the hotel so I don't want to waste space describing them again.
Yes the bed bagging was a pain but we were out and about for a lot of the time and the three pools always had space around them- the beach wasnt worth sitting on as it was small and not marvellous and it also had the preditory massage "ladies" who said they worked for the hotel - indeed the sign above their beds said "Griya Santrian 30 minutes massage 30,000 rupiah - but once you were in there the ladies started bartering with you in whispers so the other customers couldnt hear and I ended up paying over the odds for a so-so massage and pedicure - beware!
The hotel laundry was cheap by western standards but i did have to ring every day and ask for my clothes back - a great touch of the "manyanas" here.! The breakfasts we had in the hotel were good - plenty of fresh fruit,pastries,eggs and meats and cheeses - and very reasonable at about £3 each. The evening meals we had there in the beach front restaurent was of good quality and taste and again cheap - two course and drinks £18.
The many Aussie visiters were very friendly and informative as they had all been there 23 times each! The hassle from sellers on the street was nowhere near as bad as I expected(especially if you have been to Egypt!) and easily deflected with a poite no thanks and smile.
The ATMs were a pain as it was hard to find machines that would give out 100k rupiah notes and although i enjoyed the huge millionaire feel of a large wadd of 50 K notes the limit of 1.5 million meant I had to return frequently to the machines and was being charged for each transaction. On occasions the machines went offline and I was panicing about being left with no money but they generally came back online minutes later but it taught me to keep a days worth of rupiah in reserve and not go to the ATM when I had spent every cent!
You need to wear substantial shoes for the pavements in Sanur as they are lethal - uneven and broken- especially in the dark.
I seem to have strayed somewhat from the review of the Griya Santrian - so to sum up - it is good value for money and in a good location- and yes we will return! Oh and finally - you need to take dressing gowns and shower gel as the comps are a bit sparse !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Griya Santrian welcomes you to experience an enduring tale of warm traditional Balinese hospitality on the laid back sunrise coast of Sanur Beach. This beautiful beachfront resort, the sister property of Puri Santrian, is unmistakably among the most renowned landmarks in Sanur, gracing a perfectly central location on the quiet shore and with an unending classical design that continues to charm visitors, be it new and repeat visitors alike. Sanur is well known as a spot for luxurious seaside accommodation with its white sand beach bordering a reef-sheltered lagoon, making it one of the safest on the island, and thus perfect for families. As a luxuriant oasis in Sanur, Griya Santrian's enduring warm Balinese touches are imbued throughout its range of impeccable services and facilities. Leafy tropical Balinese gardens comprising flowering undergrowth and large shady trees (some older than the resort itself) dominate its manicured landscaping. And guests enjoy ease of access to the local shopping and dining hubs of Sanur, all within walking distance from the resort. At the heart of the Balinese owned and operated resort are its wonderful accommodation features - well designed and appointed guestrooms are spread throughout its two main wings. The two story Garden Wing comprises a total of 37 rooms with private balconies or terraces overlooking the resort's aforementioned lush gardens. Meanwhile, the ever popular Beach Wing features a total of 20 spacious rooms that let guests wake up to the wonderful garden view and the dramatic Sanur sunrises. Balconies or terraces also overlook the resort's main pool. Cable TV, mini-bar, hot and cold water, IDD telephone, tea and coffee making facilities, in-room safe and air conditioning all come as standard in-room amenities, to name a few. Alternatively, a choice of 59 Deluxe Rooms welcome guests to garden and pool views with some closer to the beach and feature en suite marble bathrooms and separate showers. For those who prefer a more lavish accommodation will find the Santrian Suite, a capacious suite with a 68 sqm bedroom with an elegantly draped four-poster bed as its center piece, together with a dressing room and private balcony. Designed with a refined modern Balinese approach, the suite serves as the ultimate romantic getaway for couples and honeymooners, while also great for families. For dining pleasures, Griya Santrian presents its main restaurants and outlets, which includes The Wantilan Restaurant, offering sumptuous breakfasts and all-day dining complemented by sweeping ocean views over the Sanur coastline. Meanwhile, Griya Beach Corner serves a wide choice of Italian, Japanese and Asian specialty dishes in a refreshing open-air setting. For a bit of romance, lovebirds can optionally spice things up with a bespoke candlelit dinner. The Spa at Griya Santrian is a thoughtfully designed and purpose built facility that offers a wide range of health and beauty treatments using natural fruit and flower extracts that will totally indulge you from top to toe. It's the go-to place within the resort grounds where guests can discover a great way to re-energize, refresh and rejuvenate during their stay. Griya Santrian opened in 1972 as a luxury boutique resort with a pride and commitment towards the preservation of Balinese arts and culture. While keeping to its roots and now in its fourth decade running, Griya Santrian continues to improve its facilities and services. The most recent addition includes a new wing room which was unveiled only last year, and repeat guests will also be surprised to see a new spa adjacent the resort's lobby, set to be completed this year. Several key facelifts are also well underway in 2016. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Southall Travel, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Griya Santrian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Griya Santrian Hotel Sanur
- Griya Santrian Sanur
- Griya Santrian Bali/Sanur