We stayed at the Griya Santrian at the start of June. We had booked a superior garden wing room and having read the reviews were looking forward to our stay. We arrived at the hotel at around midnight, after a delay from Singapore and a very busy airport at Bali! As we arrived so late, there were not many staff on, and the man at reception took us to our room. From the outside it was beautiful - a stand alone villa in the gardens, but inside the room was dated. It smelt a bit damp although the room was very clean. The bathroom was big, but again, very dated. As it was so late, we just went to sleep, but the next morning asked if there were any other rooms available. They told us they had been getting a lot more rain than usual for this time of year, and that may have been what caused the room to smell damp. They offered us an upgrade to a deluxe beach wing room, for a very reasonable cost for the rest of our stay. This room was fantastic. It was large and airy, and much more modern. There was a large bathroom, with a big shower area and 2 showers. The balcony was very spacious with a built in cushioned seat, overlooking the pool and gardens. We were more than happy with this room.
We stayed on a room only basis, and ate in the nearby restaurants, although, as mentioned in other reviews, the hotel restaurants and bars were reasonably priced. We ate at a few of the restaurants along the beach path and were very happy with all our meals.
We wanted to see some other parts of the island, and used one of the drivers from the front of the hotel, that reception arranged for us. He was great, and waited for us while we went shopping/sight seeing. We also hired bikes from the hotel one morning and used them to see a bit more of Sanur.
All of the staff were really friendly and helpful, and I enjoyed having reflexology by the poolside!!!
We didn't head down to the pool first thing in the morning, but did go down a couple of afternoons. We never noticed there to be a problem with finding a sun lounger, but that may be because we went later on when some people had finished. We also always found there to be loungers available on the beach when we wanted them.
One afternoon, we went out in one of the glass bottomed boats that are on the beach just by the hotel. They took us out to the reef, not far from the hotel beach and provided snorkelling equipment for us. We had an hour snorkelling and saw many different tropical fish and an eel!!
The hotel provides internet access on 2 computers near reception, and you can also get the hotel's wifi in some areas, which reception give you the password for. A lot of the other nearby bars also provide free wifi.
We had a relaxing stay in Sanur, which was just what we were after. We visited Kuta, which seemed to be a bit too busy and noisy for us - although if you were looking for lively nightlife, Kuta maybe a better option. Sanur was pretty quiet in the evenings, there are many bars but it was more about enjoying a relaxing drink. Lots of the bars did offer live entertainment in the evening.
Overall I would definitely recommend Sanur as a place to stay, and would also return to the Griya Santrian. In my opinion, the deluxe rooms are worth the extra money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Griya Santrian welcomes you to experience an enduring tale of warm traditional Balinese hospitality on the laid back sunrise coast of Sanur Beach. This beautiful beachfront resort, the sister property of Puri Santrian, is unmistakably among the most renowned landmarks in Sanur, gracing a perfectly central location on the quiet shore and with an unending classical design that continues to charm visitors, be it new and repeat visitors alike. Sanur is well known as a spot for luxurious seaside accommodation with its white sand beach bordering a reef-sheltered lagoon, making it one of the safest on the island, and thus perfect for families. As a luxuriant oasis in Sanur, Griya Santrian's enduring warm Balinese touches are imbued throughout its range of impeccable services and facilities. Leafy tropical Balinese gardens comprising flowering undergrowth and large shady trees (some older than the resort itself) dominate its manicured landscaping. And guests enjoy ease of access to the local shopping and dining hubs of Sanur, all within walking distance from the resort. At the heart of the Balinese owned and operated resort are its wonderful accommodation features - well designed and appointed guestrooms are spread throughout its two main wings. The two story Garden Wing comprises a total of 37 rooms with private balconies or terraces overlooking the resort's aforementioned lush gardens. Meanwhile, the ever popular Beach Wing features a total of 20 spacious rooms that let guests wake up to the wonderful garden view and the dramatic Sanur sunrises. Balconies or terraces also overlook the resort's main pool. Cable TV, mini-bar, hot and cold water, IDD telephone, tea and coffee making facilities, in-room safe and air conditioning all come as standard in-room amenities, to name a few. Alternatively, a choice of 59 Deluxe Rooms welcome guests to garden and pool views with some closer to the beach and feature en suite marble bathrooms and separate showers. For those who prefer a more lavish accommodation will find the Santrian Suite, a capacious suite with a 68 sqm bedroom with an elegantly draped four-poster bed as its center piece, together with a dressing room and private balcony. Designed with a refined modern Balinese approach, the suite serves as the ultimate romantic getaway for couples and honeymooners, while also great for families. For dining pleasures, Griya Santrian presents its main restaurants and outlets, which includes The Wantilan Restaurant, offering sumptuous breakfasts and all-day dining complemented by sweeping ocean views over the Sanur coastline. Meanwhile, Griya Beach Corner serves a wide choice of Italian, Japanese and Asian specialty dishes in a refreshing open-air setting. For a bit of romance, lovebirds can optionally spice things up with a bespoke candlelit dinner. The Spa at Griya Santrian is a thoughtfully designed and purpose built facility that offers a wide range of health and beauty treatments using natural fruit and flower extracts that will totally indulge you from top to toe. It's the go-to place within the resort grounds where guests can discover a great way to re-energize, refresh and rejuvenate during their stay. Griya Santrian opened in 1972 as a luxury boutique resort with a pride and commitment towards the preservation of Balinese arts and culture. While keeping to its roots and now in its fourth decade running, Griya Santrian continues to improve its facilities and services. The most recent addition includes a new wing room which was unveiled only last year, and repeat guests will also be surprised to see a new spa adjacent the resort's lobby, set to be completed this year. Several key facelifts are also well underway in 2016. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Griya Santrian reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Griya Santrian Hotel Sanur
- Griya Santrian Sanur
- Griya Santrian Bali/Sanur