“Great location and hotel”

Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Ranked #5 of 76 Hotels in Sanur
Sydney, Australia
“Great location and hotel”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My husband and I and 2 children aged 3 and 5 have just returned from the Regent.

We had a beautifully relaxing time. We stayed in the Premier Ocean View Spa Suite, the room and view were gorgeous. We loved sitting in the terrace area with the kids, watching the fishing boats, sailing ships and activity on the water. At evening time the gamelans are played outside in an area surrounded by water with lit flames, such a lovely image and sound. The lunar bath and shower were lovely and the bathroom facilities and L'occitane products were very nice indeed.

The spa was lovely. The staff were professional, respectful and did a wonderful job. We had massages each day and I would highly recommend the spa.

On the downside we received a phone call from the hotel a couple of days prior to arriving, explaining that due to a hot water issue in our block, we were going to be 'downgraded' to a different room type. Apparently the problem could take up to a month to fix. I explained that I was not at all pleased and would discuss our options with my husband and call back the next day. The Regent phoned the next day and advised the hot water issue was fixed and we were able to stay in the room they had previously confirmed to us. Not sure what this was all about but it made us feel that perhaps they were 'testing' the water a little, to see if we would accept the downgrade?? Either way we found it unwelcoming and unprofessional.

The other disappointing thing was that I have celiac disease (allergy to gluten), which I had advised prior to arrival and been told that catering would not be an issue. The first morning for breakfast the waitress advised a meal that would be gluten free however, when it arrived there was soy sauce with the meal, containing gluten, I had already eaten part of the meal. I lost confidence in their preparation of my meals. The staff were very apologetic although to remain safe I then ordered the same basic meal each morning for breakfast. I was provided with gluten free toast each morning which I appreciated. As a suggestion, perhaps a chef could have spoken to me about some options from their menu, to help instill a level of confidence and vary the morning breakfast. I always appreciate any effort made to help cater and understand it can be difficult, particularly with a language barrier. I was asked to email some information to the front desk explaining the allergy which I did, although not sure it was received? Traveling with an allergy can be difficult although it was not an issue anywhere else in Bali and there are lots of options for someone with celiac disease traveling in Indonesia.

Neither of the above issues would stop us going back to the Regent and the staff overall were very attentive and helpful, they were terrific with our girls. The hotel is still in its soft opening stage, so I'm hopeful that these challenges will be ironed out and that this feedback is received as purely that...as we had a great time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Dominique H
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear Ms Dominique H
Warm regards from Regent Bali.
Thank you very much to take time and write such nice comments about our Resort and our employees. Indeed Bali is a wonderful place to work with the Balinese culture. Its great to see and feel there is a lot of potential to grow and with feedback like yours we can improve directly our service and for our guest their holiday experience.
Our Soft Opening time will ends of 20th December this year and in this time we can finalize all details and work on service details.
Please contact me anytime if you or your friends would like to come back I am happy to take personal care. Please contact my by email michael.gaehler@regenthotels.com Best regards and see you soon again Michael Gaehler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The Regent Bali exceeds expectations from the minute you walk into the lobby, it is visually stunning, the ocean view, the gorgeous furniture, the beautifully landscaped gardens and the awesome expanse of roof inlaid with coconut shell. The staff are genuinely warm and welcoming and service is consistently outstanding. The room was immaculately clean and is beautifully designed. We stayed for almost two weeks with children aged 6 and 2 years. The quality of cleaning throughout the stay was excellent. Nothing seemed too much trouble for the staff and the children loved the surprise of animals made of towels left on their beds. Complementary morning beverage arrived absolutely spot on the time requested with freshly baked muffins, all that is required is to pour and enjoy from your balcony the sound of the gamelans. The management are very much present around the hotel and are enthusiastic to ensure high quality and love to chat with guests. The hotel will help plan any excursions, we did several day trips. The breakfast buffet is delicious with excellent variety and many additional items can be ordered and cooked on request. Dinner at the two hotel restaurants was also high quality. The hotel is extremely welcoming to children and the staff will make a fuss of them at every opportunity. The kids club is a bit of a hidden gem, beautifully designed as well with kind, competent staff- I would say it is currently best suited to children aged about 3-5 years and some constructive feedback would be that it could use some additional toys to challenge older children as not all children over 5 want to just play video games- Overall we had a fantastic stay which exceeded expectations. Just a few notes that families might find useful. The location is a quiet family friendly beachfront. The stray dogs are present as elsewhere in Bali but they weren't too problematic. The main road is busy and not suitable for walking with young children but the beachfront walk is fine also for buggies. The hotel will provide additional mosquito repellant (plug in) on request although we saw very few mosquitos ( except for loads at the airport!) More constructive feedback to this mostly outstanding hotel-We had a third floor room which we enjoyed immensely for the fabulous view however the catch on the balcony metal privacy screen is very easily opened and a concern with young children- a more secure locking system might
be appreciated by parents. Memorable holiday in an already
exceptional hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank medicmum
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Dear Regent Guest "Medicmum"
WOW.... to ready your comments make us all very proved and we would like to say thank you very much for your excellent comments here. We are much appreciate your time to write about us and we are looking forward to welcome you very soon back. Best regards Michael Gaehler (michael.gaehler@regenthotels.com)
Singapore
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I thought that Sanur was a sleepy retirement village with no nice hotels to speak of but this has changed now. The newly opened Regent Bali in Sanur is set to become one of the best luxury resorts in Bali. The beach in sanur is much cleaner than Seminyak beach and due to it's shallow depth great for kids. Also, we took a boat out towards the reef for snorkelling and the next day we went surfing off the reef. The surf break is great out there and wasn't busy.

The Bali Regent is great for families, Regent Bali has two small separate pool for kids away from the main pool. The rooms are super spacious and offer large daybeds for the whole family to laze on or read a book. The view over the central gardens is beautiful with a few Balinese men playing the gamelan in the morning. It feels and sounds like you are in a garden oasis on the beach. Breakfast was great and the food at the pool cafe was nice too. Our friends were staying in a Spa suite which had a separate spa treatment room with a steam room adjacent to the bathroom, much better if you like to have treatments in the privacy of your room. A few tips, if you like to lounge at a beach cabana you better get there early in the morning because the beach cabanas are quickly taken up in the morning, there are not that many. There is a well equipped gym if you like to work out during your holiday. If you have questions feel free to contact the GM (Michael), who is extremely helpful with all the requests that you may have. He obviously loves his job as he is very passionate and personable. If you love design, this is a hotel that comes highly recommended, the details of the amenities and interior design are very nice.
The signage for the resort has to improve because it is not that easy to find. Ask reception for a map if you decide to walk into Sanur so that you can make your way back to the resort.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank asia_traveller_1997
Dear Regent Guest "Asia Traveller 1997"
Warm greetings from Regent Bali. Thank you so much for your rating and comments about your stay at Regent Bali. We are all trilled about your great comments and we have already improved our signage in the resort to improve the orientation at the Resort.
We all looking forward to have you soon back and send your warm regards from the Regent team and myself. Please contact me anytime if I can be a help for any future bookings.
Michael Gaehler (michael.gaehler@regenthotels.com)
new zealand
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The Regent has only been opened for two months and it is a truly excellent hotel, with much attention to detail and the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. We were greeted, after clearing customs, by our driver and enjoyed the drive to the hotel, with cold towels and water to drink. The reception at the hotel was personal and straightforward. Our room was huge (we had booked an ocean view deluxe). I must admit that we would have to agree with another reviewer that the view of the ocean was across the hotel grounds and buildings, so not exactly a full ocean view! The room was beautifully appointed and very comfortable. There are some issues. Our 'personal butler' offered to unpack for us, but, even if we had taken him up on the offer, there is virtually no drawer space, so we had to keep much of our clothing in suitcases! There was a good amount of hanging space for clothes, however. The room had a huge balcony, but one could not leave the room open to the balcony, which was a shame, as the floor soon became very slippery with condensation. There was no compendium of hotel details in the room and the hotel was 'working on it', which we did think was a bit slow nearly two months after the opening. There were some other teething problems, such as having to ask most days for milk for the fridge and, on one evening -at 10pm- we had to get out of bed to answer the door as the staff wondered if we needed the bed turning down! Great idea, but not at 10pm! The spa was excellent and staff there also great and the pool is perfect and the pool staff kept us up to date with frequent water and cool towels. The evening canapes and two-for-one happy hour drinks were very tasty and it is a delightful place to sit and enjoy a warm evening. Dinner at the restaurant was very good, but the wine list is a bit restricted; this is a problem all over with Bali, perhaps? Breakfast was a superb buffet and always more choices than one could cover in the six days we were there.
One issue with the hotel would be that is is beautifully built and landscaped, but there are many hard-to-see steps and half-steps around the reception/dining areas that would make it tricky for elderly or slightly disabled folk to get around-we saw a couple of people stumble when we were.there.
Overall, we had an absolutely superb stay and the staff and management made us most welcome. We were staying on an opening special of 3 night for the price of 2. It may be that the Regent will have to keep on improving to give value for money, compared to other 5 star resorts on the island, when it charges its full rate?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johnandmaggie
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear John & Maggie
Warm greetings from Regent Bali and thank you very much to take your time to write your very positive and helpful comments to our attention. The Soft Opening from Regent Bali goes so far very smooth and we are delight to get very good feedbacks from our guest. Your comments are more then helpful to improve our service for our guests and next time you will come back you will have the pleasure to see your feedback has changed our service and improved the guest experience a lot. We all would like send you both our best regards and please feel free to contact me directly for your next booking here in Sanur where the authentic Bali is at home.
Warm regards Michael Gaehler (michael.gaehler@regenthotels.com)
Singapore
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My partner and I stayed at Regent Bali for 2 nights in July to celebrate my partner's birthday.
My partner loves Bali and we have spent her birthdays at different resorts in Bali over the past few years.

I read a review by eidref102 dated 5 July 2013 quoting 'My arrival at the airport was a breeze, I was whisked away by a representative to avoid the long line at the immigration and off to the resort van.'
I prefer to be precise in my review, there was no such service provided and we had to queue to clear immigration before meeting the hotel's representative at the entrance of the arrival hall.

The drive to the hotel was comfortable in the hotel's Toyota Alphard and the driver and hotel representative were polite and friendly.

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were greeted by their staff and given nice cold towels as well as a cold juice while waiting for check-in. The view is beautiful and the surrounding makes you feel very relaxing.

Everything went nicely until we were shown to our room. I should have noted the name of the staff but unfortunately I didn't. He opened the door, walked straight into the room with his shoes on and started telling us what is included. He walked past the bed and all the way into the balcony. Initially we thought that it is a norm for shoes to be worn in the room. But later, we noticed that housekeeping staff actually left their shoes outside the room while cleaning.

We booked 'Deluxe Suite King Ocean View' room.
When we looked out, there was no Ocean View except the hotel building. (Please refer to the picture taken). I didn't get too mad about this as we had the luxury of staying at many other resorts in Bali with sea view and moreover, we visit Bali quite frequently and Bali is only 2 hours flight from Singapore. However, I would imagine I will be fuming mad if I had traveled all the way from Europe to see a view like that. You will definitely feel cheated.

The room is spacious and comfortable.
However, do not expect the 'Westin' or 'Ritz Carlton' type of bed. The King bed is of good size but it is definitely no where near the quality of other 5-star hotels.
Be careful when you use the shower. If you refer to the pictures, the shower head points at the glass door when you shower. Somehow, they did not seal the gaps on the glass door and when you shower, water will splash through the gaps.The bathroom floor was all wet after my partner showered and we thought that the drainage was choked. Later, we realized that it was the gaps on the shower door that caused it.

The last day (30 July) was my partner's birthday. We requested for a late check-out as our flight was 8pm in the evening. The hotel was kind enough to extend a late check-out until 5pm. I was not expecting any birthday cakes etc....but i thought it would be nice for the hotel to at least send a birthday note or card. Having stayed at many other luxury resorts in Bali, this is the first time that the hotel just ignored our birthday.

Regent Bali is definitely a beautiful hotel. There are many things that are good. Nice swimming pool area to relax, good breakfast, delicious lunch/dinner, comfortable transport.
But all these are basic things you can experience in most other luxury hotels/resorts in Bali. From what we have experienced, the management needs to put in a lot more work and attention if they want to be on par with others in the same category.

Room Tip: When you pay for an Ocean View room, make sure you get one. You will feel cheated if you are given o...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Ken_sg
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear Regent Guest Ken_SG
Warm greetings from Regent Bali and thank you very much for your comments here at Tripadvisor. To share experience is for many future guest a great lead but sometimes we do not get all the information. The immigration VIP service has to be booked in advance and make the arrival in Bali airport much more easy. We also feel sorry to miss your birthday and we will make sure this will not happen anymore. Feedback like this from you will help to improve our service and we all would like to thank you and hope you will come back one day. We are just 8 weeks open and working hard and improve every day our service to offer our guest the best service is possible here at Regent Bali . Please feel free to contact me under michael.gaehler@regenthotels.com Best regards Michael Gaehler
Adelaide
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I've just stayed 3 nights at the new Regent Sanur. It was superb in every way. Huge & super luxurious accommodation & attentive service. I really could not have asked for more. And as the hotel becomes more established, it can only further improve. Understated elegance. TripAdvisor have a maximum rating of 5 stars, but surely this resort must be 5 stars PLUS! Without a shadow of doubt it's the best resort in Sanur by far and has to be one of the best on the Island.

Not only is the accommodation impressive, but so is the massive infinity edge swimming pool, overlooking Sanur Beach and the ocean. Just wonderful.

From my stay I'd like to offer the hotel four comments:

1. Why are the beds so very low? They look good, but for older people it makes life unnecessarily difficult to get into & out of!
2. It seems strange that you promote an included minibar & whilst there's expensive imported mineral waters & juices in there, there's no alcoholic beverages - not even a beer, which must be cheaper than some of the other included drinks?
3. It was 2 days before I discovered the privacy screens on the outside living area could actually be slid open. I was shown the electric outside blind switches when taken to my room, but not told about the sliding screens. I'd also advise the sliding screens have a more secure locking mechanism too, as there's the danger of a child standing on the daybed opening screens & falling out!
4. The breakfast service is initially confusing. There's a limited buffet and an egg station but what's not immediately obvious is that this aside, you can pretty much order whatever you want & it's freshly prepared for you & bought to your table. Perhaps some sort of menu explaining the breakfast service, how it works and perhaps giving some menu examples / suggestions would be a good idea?

Having just re-read my review, it sounds like I'm whinging, but I'm not - these are just my suggestions to make this magnificent resort even more amazing than it is already! I definitely plan to go back again and can recommend the resort without hesitation!

Room Tip: They're all good! Spacious & super luxurious! Even the view from my so called gardenview sui...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ian-cnx
Dear Regent Guest Ian-CNX
Warm greetings from Regent Bali and Thank you very much for your very positive feedback from your stay with us. We have just discussed your points today with our team to improve this experience for all our future guest in this from you comment arias. Comments like yours are very helpful for our team and leadership to learn where we need to improve to make the stay perfect for our guests. We are improving everyday thanks your support.
Please contact me for your next stay at Regent directly and we will take very special care and show how much we have improved already. My email is michael.gaehler@regenthotels.com
Best regards Michael B. Gaehler
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We chose Sanur because we wanted a quiet family resort with our 3 teenage boys to unwind and enjoy for the final leg of our 3 week holiday and feel pampered. Regent Bali has delivered everything we wished for and more. We are now in the last few days into our week long stay and I feel compelled to write something whilst gazing out at the ocean, listening to the soft sound of the Gamelon and feeling so contended that we chose this hotel.

What can I tell you that's negative about this place? Absolutely nothing. One of the most luxurious and amazing hotels we have had the pleasure to stay in. It's all in the detail. From the coffee and yummy warm muffin brought to your suite in the morning to the totally fabulous spa treatments (included daily in the premiere spa suites which have their own treatment room attached!), the attentive and courteous staff, the view from the 3rd floor, the fabulous free yoga sessions, a butler attending to your every need, delicious food in both restaurants ( for example they accidentally got my order wrong and immediately corrected it and gave complimentary dessert even though we made no complaints), the luxury beach loungers and amazing huge infinity swimming pool which is the envy of all passers by......very luxurious and spacious accommodation in the wonderful premiere spa rooms with Bose system, soft lighting, cool ocean breeze, luxury amenities and products, every conceivable thing taken care of ( even a luxury beach bag!) .....I could go on and on!......all brought together by the fabulous "hands on" GM who is constantly visible around the hotel ensuring the guests are well looked after and who is the key to its opening success. No request is too much trouble.

The ambience and elegance of the place surpasses all the 5 star hotels we have ever stayed over the world. Do not be put off by the occasional bad review due to teething and external agent issues because bring anything to their attention and I have no doubt they will try and resolve it to your satisfaction. This is luxury and service at its finest. Keep it up and it will definitely be the number one place to stay in whole of Bali. Beautiful. Thank you for what is proving to be a truly wonderful end to our vacation.

Room Tip: If you can afford it and want the ultimate in luxury go for the premiere spa suite ocean view. HUGE...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ABP123
Dear Guest ABP123
All 270 employees are trilled from your positive comments, about your stay with your family here in Bali. We are very happy, you enjoy your holiday so much. Its a great motivation for every body to read your notes and comments here. We are do daily trainings with all departments to improve the experience for our guest and I belief for your stay many things was just perfect.
All our team here from Regent Bali would like to send you a very warm Terima Kasih and please come soon back. Your Suite will be always ready.
Best regards