“all form no function”

Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali
Ranked #9 of 82 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I paid a pre-openning rate of $550US per night for an ocean view, deluxe spa suite. Free internet, daily spa treatments for two, free mini bar, daily breakfast, evening canapes. WHAT were they thinking when they buildt this place! First off u have to pay the local banjar 3,000 rp every time u drive to the hotel. Not a kings ransom but pretty inconvenient if u are doing a lot of site seeing or going out. The room was very spacious but poorly designed. The spa treatment room is a waste. There is only one treatment bed. So if u are a couple, they can only accomidate u in the spa. We were not able to book consecutive appointments. But the design feature that really pissed me off was the metal grating on the balcony. What were they thinking? It wasn't for privacy as there were curtains that covered the view entirely when down. With the metal grates fully openned, half the view was blocked. From the outside view, the rooms looked like prison cells with the grates closed. The hotel was only 20% booked when i was there so most of the grates where closed. There was no locker room for the gym. No steam room unless u booked a couple suite at the spa. No jacuzzi. All the "small bites" on the menu were fried. Room service menu very limited. Where this place is getting its five star reviews is beyond me! The bed is so low to the floor u were not able to see the TV over the couch. I could go on but enought to say this place was very poorly designed. All for show, no function.

On a positive note the staff was as expected in a Regent managed hotel. Friendly, polite, proffessional with excellent command of English. It is so unfortunate that this level of management is wasted on such an aweful looking property with a lousy design.

I would not stay here again even if the room was free.

Room Tip: Book fourth floor or find another hotel. You'll feel like u are in a jail cell.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank theoysterking
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Regent guest, theoysterking, Bangkok, Thailand,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Regnt Bali.Thank you for all your comments on the design of the Suites (metal grates), the Gym (lack of lockers), no steam room or jacuzzi, limited Room service menu, low bed and the local banjar fees. I apologize unreservedly for the inconveniences. I will be forwarding your comments to our Head Office so that they too are aware of your comments.
Thank you for the kind and gracious comments on the associates - I have shared your comments with them and they are happy to know that their services have been appreciated.
Once again thank you for your valuable comments.
Jamal Hussain

Write a ReviewReviews (1,477)

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have never stayed at a 5 star hotel before in my life, or travelled overseas, so I didn't know what to expect of Bali or the Regent.

We were greeted at the airport by a friendly, jovial man who escorted us to the van which would take us to the hotel. In the van they had peaceful music playing, cold towels and glass bottles of water waiting for us - I was pretty chuffed with this, little did I know what was in store for us at the hotel.

At check in we were given lovely little glasses of lychee and ginger juice and more cold towels, as we met our Butler, Rasti, and the hotel manager. We were shown to our rooms which were absolutely beautiful - enormous beds, bathrooms with L'Occtaine products, bath salts etc., a closed in deck area with delicious, juicy passionfruit and a COMPLIMENTARY mini bar (a first for me - usually the well stocked mini bars are a surprise expense when you check out). We were told if we need anything to dial "0".

All the hotel staff were friendly, constantly greeting us and having a chat as we walked through the hotel. The pool was beautiful and when I put my dress on one of the sun lounges and got in, I looked over a little while later and watched one of the staff lay the towel out on the sun lounge, fold up my dress, put out cold towels and glasses of icy water which was wonderful. On our last night we were served drinks and food by the pool by the restaurant next to us - as it was night time, when they bought out the menus they had book lights attached to them so we could read them in the dark! The Regent Bali thinks of everything, even things you didn't even know you wanted.

On the second day I was sick with the dreaded Bali Belly (I didn't get it from the hotel), and the staff were very attentive and helpful with directing my family on how best to treat it. When I was able to eat/drink again, a lovely butler named Ray (Reiki? Not sure of spelling) bought me a fresh, cold young coconut with little frangipani flowers stuck on top, with a straw and spoon, and it was absolutely amazing and made me feel so much better - very refreshing and hydrating.

Every time we called room service they were extremely prompt - within 5 minutes they were in the room to help. One night we called room service for some juices, mie goreng and other nibblies to have while we were playing cards and they told us it would be a half hour wait for the food - and in about 10 minutes the food has arrived, along with ALL of the usual accompaniments that we got in the restaurant - place mats, salt and pepper, water, bread and dips etc., which was a lovely surprise.

The complimentary breakfast was to DIE for - fruits, pastries, Asian and Indonesian dishes, sushi, cereals, breads, anything you could ever want, with unlimited drinks too. My favourite food is mango and I must have had about a litre worth of mango juice at every breakfast, with the staff constantly offering to get me another (which I never said no to :P). All of it was fresh and delicious, we had two plates at every breakfast.

All the staff spoke good English. I didn't really notice this until we had a taxi driver one day who didn't speak good English at all - and it turned out to be a very stressful day because he didn't really understand us and I couldn't understand a word he was saying. After that experience, the clear and well spoken manner of the staff was appreciated so much more.

The aircon in the rooms was blissfully cold, and we could turn it all the way down to 15 degrees. It was nice to step inside a lovely cold room after being in the humidity and heat.

At night time they turned down the quilts on our beds and took all the pillows off, and put out little slippers for us. The fruit platter was changed every day, from passionfruit, the apples, the snake fruit, to bananas. The mini bar was restocked every day, but they had no coke zero, just coke, so I bought some at the shops (which was very cheap), and kept it in the fridge - the staff must have noticed, because on the last day they put Coke zero in the fridge instead of sprite!! It was small little touches like that which made our stay at the Regent Bali magical.

The highlight of our stay here was most definitely the night we had dinner at the restauraunt under reception (the name escapes me, Layang Layang I think it was called). On our way to dinner one of our Butlers, Rasti, greeted us and asked us where we were going for dinner and wished us a good night. The food at Layang Layang was amazing - the chicken tikka was beautiful. Then to top off our night, when we got back to our rooms, we found Rasti had left us a little surprise! She arranged some towels to look like animals - in one room she had made a crocodile out of towels (with bottle caps for eyes haha), and in our room she had made a frog and put our head phones on top of it, and left little notes, again, wishing us a good night. It was so cute and much appreciated by us. Definitely a highlight of our stay, a very personal touch.

I really couldn't fault anything about this hotel. It was wonderful, and I can't wait to come back. It was very quiet when we stayed and I hope the service is the same when it becomes busier, as it inevitably will. 10 out of 10.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Regent guest, CherieR0se, Perth, Australia,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay here at Regent Bali. We are all very happy to read that you and your family enjoyed yourselves during your stay and were happy with the facilities and the services provided. You comments on the butlers have been well noted and have been shared with them. They were very happy to know that thier services have been appreciated.
Thank you once again for all the gracious comments and look forward to welcome you back to your "home"in Bali.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

This new hotel in Sanur is a world class luxury hotel. The property is breathtakingly beautiful, respecting traditional Balinese style yet interpreting it in a strikingly modern way. Even the most jaded traveler with gasp with delight when entering the large open reception area over looking water gardens. The staff are friendly and the service is immaculate. I visited this hotel whilst on transit. I had the pleasure of having lunch at the beautiful poolside restaurant. The food was wonderful, beautifully presented and the service perfect. The spa was equally impressive. Set below a water-garden the treatment suites are luxurious and the attention to detail is impressive. The therapists are wonderful, one of the best massages I had. I felt like a queen. It deserves a visit. I would not think twice about visiting Bali again just to stay at this gem.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Desi S
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Regent Guest - Desi S, London, United Kingdom,

Thank you for the flattering comments on your recent stay here at Regent Bali.
We are all very pleased that you had a good stay and that you enjoyed the resort and it's facilities as well as the services provided.
Once again Thank you.

Best regards,

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I urge anyone looking for a beautiful, modern, five star hotel in Sanur to stay at this place. We stayed in a premier suite. The rooms are large and come with everything you will need, including free mini bar. You have a butler which is on call 24/7. The service of this place is second to none. They call you by name and are always happy to help with any little thing. The bathrooms are massive and come with L'Occitane products. The breakfast is a combination of a la carte and buffet. The food here is better than anywhere else on the island that we tried. The only critism I can make is that the pool, even though very beautiful was too warm for my liking. Considering the air temperature in Sanur is 30 plus degrees, I would've liked a cold pool to dip into. Other than that this place is awesome and I will definitely consider staying here again. Well done!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Annette A
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Annette A, Sydney, Australia

Dear Regent guest,
Thank you for the delightful comments regarding your recent stay. We are very happy to know that you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed the facilities and services. I have taken note of your comment on the swimming pool.
Thank you and with best regards.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Im writing this review fr my resort room. Our stay has been a bliss so far. The attention to detail is impressive. Service is impeccable and very friendly. Pool is awesome and they lend inflatables to kids. My son got unwell and they sent doctor in only 15 mins to the room. Bfast is great with vast variety, and complimentary mini bar is a nice touch. Beach is so so but not much can be done there. Totally recommended!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank MelbDude
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear MelbDude / Melbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to post the positive review of the Regent Bali. We are indeed very happy to know that you were satisfied with the facilities and the services provided.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Best regards,
Jamal. Hussain

Reviewed 27 October 2013

My family and I recently stayed a week at the Regent Hotel in SANUR. It was recently opened five months ago and all the rooms are suites. The rooms are superbly finished, the travertine tiled bathroom is huge, there's a walk-in shower, a stand alone bath and two sinks. There is so much room, we had our 4 yr old in a single bed and our 2 yr old in a travel cot in our room and we were not cramped. We originally thought the children would sleep in the living room, but this is unair conditioned and has an automatic roll down fly screen only. We were still able to sit our there of an evening watching t.v. while the children went off to sleep in our room. There's a fully stocked mini bar and huge day bed in the living room as well as a table and chairs. Breakfast was plentiful, and you could also order things like eggs benedict from the menu as well. The kids club was wonderful, so much for the little ones to do. The pool is huge and there is an area at either end of the pool for the little ones to swim and also two separate kids pools. The staff are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble, even when we requested the golf buggy pick us up from our room and takes us to reception because the children wanted one last ride before we checked out. I highly recommend this hotel to couples wanting a romantic getaway, as well as families. A must visit. SANUR town is only a 10 min walk away or a $3 cab fare to great little restaurants like The Three Monkeys.

Room Tip: Even the courtyard rooms have ocean glimpses, and gorgeous views over the gardens and water features...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MANDYJB88
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Regent Guest MANDYJB88,Sydney, Australia.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments here on Trip Advisor. We are all very happy to read your kind and gracious comments. Looking forward to welcome you "home" on your next visit.

With best regards

Reviewed 25 October 2013

The Resort is absolute gem with great staffs from entrance to all over resort.
From the arrival they ensure personally recognize you with all smile consistently in all staff.
The welcome experience was special and room was fabulous specious for all suite resort.
The amenities used are with touch of class, from bathroom to welcome amenities they did an welcome card in leafs which so great and daily turn down as well has great change in amenities, departure the staff Agus did an great card with our drawings which so personalized and special.
The restaurant has great selections for breakfast and all day dining.
The Pool and staffs in pool area and spa are fantastic.
They also have private beach which quite compared to busy areas.
All in all its great place with some very great people like Eko, Firman, Agus and all

Room Tip: Rooms are fabulous, great staff
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Regent Guest AyikoN,

Thank you for the kind and considerate comments on your recent stay here at Regent Bali.
We look forward to welcome you "home" on your next visit.

Jamal Hussain

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanur
Puri Santrian
#7 of 55 in Nusa Dua
Hilton Bali Resort
Hilton Bali Resort
#23 of 55 in Nusa Dua

Been to Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali? Share your experiences!