“The Regent Sanur Bali” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 76 Hotels in Sanur
North Yorkshire
“The Regent Sanur Bali”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

We booked a deal for this new hotel on Travelzoo. The hotel is modern and spacious. All rooms are suites and look amazing. Unfortunately, the lounge area of the suite is constructed in a typical Balinese style which means that it looks amazing but is open to the elements and the two ceiling fans don't move quickly enough to keep the area cool so we didn't use this lounge area as it was so humid. The bedroom is air conditioned though. The breakfast was very good with attentive staff but ordered items could take some time to arrive. The eggs in breadcrumbs were delicious. As the hotel occupancy was only 25% I wonder how they will cope when at full capacity. The staff were incredibly attentive, friendly and pleasant.The very large pool is one of the best I have ever seen. The water was just warm enough to make it comfortable to swim in yet refreshing when the humidity gets too much. During the morning and evening 2 Balinese men play "meditational music" from an area in the middle of a water garden. It was magical. We got our laundry washed and ironed for £1 a kilo at a kiosk on the beach just outside the hotel. We can recommend Charming restaurant in Sanur - we had an amazing meal there accompanied by live music from a four man group from Java. We never saw the hotel manager which we thought strange considering this is a new hotel. There was no customer satisfaction survey to complete nor was there any information about the hotel in the room. We were told that the manager was still completing this - maybe that's why we didn't see him/her! A let down was the sheets which were rough to sleep on and certainly not what I expected from a 5 star resort. We were told that complimentary alcoholic beverages were part of the package but had to request these as they weren't in our fridge when we arrived . It turned out to be 2 bottles of local beer, nothing else. I enjoyed our stay but I wouldn't be happy pay the price they quoted us for an extra night's stay outside of the Travelzoo rate.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Regent guest, holbyholby, North Yorkshire,

Thank you for taking the time to post the kind comments about your recent stay in Regent Bali. We truly appreciate it. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your overall stay and that you found the Resort, the facilities and the services up to your expectations. I have also taken note of your other comments.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Macau, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

it's the best hotel that i've ever stayed! i stayed there on 27 nov this year, our suite is located on the beach front, through the private pool is the beach , the spa room is facing the sea also, except that, its inculded 2 bedrooms, gardens, jacuzzi, living room, and the drinks are free for charge in the mini bar. the guest can borrow bicycle from the hotel, we ride to the small town when we were there. i am sure will go and stay again!

Room Tip: 2 bedrooms resdience is the first choice
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Regent Guest TONG SENG C, Macau, China,

Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay here at Regent Bali. We are all very happy that you found the Resort, the facilities and the service to your expectations. We are particularly happy that you enjoyed our 2 Bedroom Beachfront Villa.

Looking forward to welcome you "home' to Regent Bali,

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

I've stayed several 5-star beach resort in many countries but Regent Bali ranks as one of the top few. One of its major plus point is that it is very new and, for us, the pre-opening special rate was too good to be true for a luxury brand hotel like Regent. In addition, the suite I stayed effuse a sense of opulence. The bedroom looks like one built for a king. The designer of the suite ensured that decorations in the room are intricate and elaborate, though not overwhelmingly Balinese in style. As what many reviewers remarked earlier, the suite is indeed spacious. And the toilet...it's one of those you could spend the entire afternoon lazing in the tub! The only grouse I had was that there is no air-conditioner in the living room cum balcony. It got very warm there, even at night. The kids' club was relatively huge and the gym was well equipped for a fitness fanatic like me. Overall, I would really recommend it to all...who have the budget to experience this kind of luxury.

Stayed December 2013
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Regent guest, Lengkhoon, Singapore,

Thank you for the positive comments regarding your recent stay at Regent Bali. We all truly appreciate it. I have noted your comments that it can get hot on the Suite Terrace. The design is to allow guests to enjoy the tropical weather whilst still in the privacy and comfort of their Suite but I do take your comments to heart.

Once again Thank you and I personally look forward to welcome you back to Regent Bali.

Jamal HUssain
General Mnager.
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

We spent three nights at the newly opened Regent Bali in December. Great facility and wonderful staff. Beach is not the most desirable but if you are looking for a quiet retreat, this is the place. Pool area is wonderful as is the service. Breakfast included is a real bonus as there is no rush, timelines to beat or crowds to contend with. Great walking path along the beach in both directions with numerous local restaurants. Airport pick up is a real bonus. Would certainly recommend to anyone looking for a quiet relaxing getaway

Room Tip: All good, but higher up gives an ocean view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Regent guest, Robert C , West Kelowna, Canada ,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay at Regent Bali. We are all very happy to know that you had good stay and that you were satisfied with the resort, the facilities and the services provided. I have personally shared your comments with our asociates and they too are happy that their services have been recognized.

Once again Thank you and look forward to welcome you "home".

Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

I paid a pre-openning rate of $550US per night for an ocean view, deluxe spa suite. Free internet, daily spa treatments for two, free mini bar, daily breakfast, evening canapes. WHAT were they thinking when they buildt this place! First off u have to pay the local banjar 3,000 rp every time u drive to the hotel. Not a kings ransom but pretty inconvenient if u are doing a lot of site seeing or going out. The room was very spacious but poorly designed. The spa treatment room is a waste. There is only one treatment bed. So if u are a couple, they can only accomidate u in the spa. We were not able to book consecutive appointments. But the design feature that really pissed me off was the metal grating on the balcony. What were they thinking? It wasn't for privacy as there were curtains that covered the view entirely when down. With the metal grates fully openned, half the view was blocked. From the outside view, the rooms looked like prison cells with the grates closed. The hotel was only 20% booked when i was there so most of the grates where closed. There was no locker room for the gym. No steam room unless u booked a couple suite at the spa. No jacuzzi. All the "small bites" on the menu were fried. Room service menu very limited. Where this place is getting its five star reviews is beyond me! The bed is so low to the floor u were not able to see the TV over the couch. I could go on but enought to say this place was very poorly designed. All for show, no function.

On a positive note the staff was as expected in a Regent managed hotel. Friendly, polite, proffessional with excellent command of English. It is so unfortunate that this level of management is wasted on such an aweful looking property with a lousy design.

I would not stay here again even if the room was free.

Room Tip: Book fourth floor or find another hotel. You'll feel like u are in a jail cell.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank theoysterking
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Regent guest, theoysterking, Bangkok, Thailand,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Regnt Bali.Thank you for all your comments on the design of the Suites (metal grates), the Gym (lack of lockers), no steam room or jacuzzi, limited Room service menu, low bed and the local banjar fees. I apologize unreservedly for the inconveniences. I will be forwarding your comments to our Head Office so that they too are aware of your comments.
Thank you for the kind and gracious comments on the associates - I have shared your comments with them and they are happy to know that their services have been appreciated.
Once again thank you for your valuable comments.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have never stayed at a 5 star hotel before in my life, or travelled overseas, so I didn't know what to expect of Bali or the Regent.

We were greeted at the airport by a friendly, jovial man who escorted us to the van which would take us to the hotel. In the van they had peaceful music playing, cold towels and glass bottles of water waiting for us - I was pretty chuffed with this, little did I know what was in store for us at the hotel.

At check in we were given lovely little glasses of lychee and ginger juice and more cold towels, as we met our Butler, Rasti, and the hotel manager. We were shown to our rooms which were absolutely beautiful - enormous beds, bathrooms with L'Occtaine products, bath salts etc., a closed in deck area with delicious, juicy passionfruit and a COMPLIMENTARY mini bar (a first for me - usually the well stocked mini bars are a surprise expense when you check out). We were told if we need anything to dial "0".

All the hotel staff were friendly, constantly greeting us and having a chat as we walked through the hotel. The pool was beautiful and when I put my dress on one of the sun lounges and got in, I looked over a little while later and watched one of the staff lay the towel out on the sun lounge, fold up my dress, put out cold towels and glasses of icy water which was wonderful. On our last night we were served drinks and food by the pool by the restaurant next to us - as it was night time, when they bought out the menus they had book lights attached to them so we could read them in the dark! The Regent Bali thinks of everything, even things you didn't even know you wanted.

On the second day I was sick with the dreaded Bali Belly (I didn't get it from the hotel), and the staff were very attentive and helpful with directing my family on how best to treat it. When I was able to eat/drink again, a lovely butler named Ray (Reiki? Not sure of spelling) bought me a fresh, cold young coconut with little frangipani flowers stuck on top, with a straw and spoon, and it was absolutely amazing and made me feel so much better - very refreshing and hydrating.

Every time we called room service they were extremely prompt - within 5 minutes they were in the room to help. One night we called room service for some juices, mie goreng and other nibblies to have while we were playing cards and they told us it would be a half hour wait for the food - and in about 10 minutes the food has arrived, along with ALL of the usual accompaniments that we got in the restaurant - place mats, salt and pepper, water, bread and dips etc., which was a lovely surprise.

The complimentary breakfast was to DIE for - fruits, pastries, Asian and Indonesian dishes, sushi, cereals, breads, anything you could ever want, with unlimited drinks too. My favourite food is mango and I must have had about a litre worth of mango juice at every breakfast, with the staff constantly offering to get me another (which I never said no to :P). All of it was fresh and delicious, we had two plates at every breakfast.

All the staff spoke good English. I didn't really notice this until we had a taxi driver one day who didn't speak good English at all - and it turned out to be a very stressful day because he didn't really understand us and I couldn't understand a word he was saying. After that experience, the clear and well spoken manner of the staff was appreciated so much more.

The aircon in the rooms was blissfully cold, and we could turn it all the way down to 15 degrees. It was nice to step inside a lovely cold room after being in the humidity and heat.

At night time they turned down the quilts on our beds and took all the pillows off, and put out little slippers for us. The fruit platter was changed every day, from passionfruit, the apples, the snake fruit, to bananas. The mini bar was restocked every day, but they had no coke zero, just coke, so I bought some at the shops (which was very cheap), and kept it in the fridge - the staff must have noticed, because on the last day they put Coke zero in the fridge instead of sprite!! It was small little touches like that which made our stay at the Regent Bali magical.

The highlight of our stay here was most definitely the night we had dinner at the restauraunt under reception (the name escapes me, Layang Layang I think it was called). On our way to dinner one of our Butlers, Rasti, greeted us and asked us where we were going for dinner and wished us a good night. The food at Layang Layang was amazing - the chicken tikka was beautiful. Then to top off our night, when we got back to our rooms, we found Rasti had left us a little surprise! She arranged some towels to look like animals - in one room she had made a crocodile out of towels (with bottle caps for eyes haha), and in our room she had made a frog and put our head phones on top of it, and left little notes, again, wishing us a good night. It was so cute and much appreciated by us. Definitely a highlight of our stay, a very personal touch.

I really couldn't fault anything about this hotel. It was wonderful, and I can't wait to come back. It was very quiet when we stayed and I hope the service is the same when it becomes busier, as it inevitably will. 10 out of 10.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Regent guest, CherieR0se, Perth, Australia,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay here at Regent Bali. We are all very happy to read that you and your family enjoyed yourselves during your stay and were happy with the facilities and the services provided. You comments on the butlers have been well noted and have been shared with them. They were very happy to know that thier services have been appreciated.
Thank you once again for all the gracious comments and look forward to welcome you back to your "home"in Bali.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

This new hotel in Sanur is a world class luxury hotel. The property is breathtakingly beautiful, respecting traditional Balinese style yet interpreting it in a strikingly modern way. Even the most jaded traveler with gasp with delight when entering the large open reception area over looking water gardens. The staff are friendly and the service is immaculate. I visited this hotel whilst on transit. I had the pleasure of having lunch at the beautiful poolside restaurant. The food was wonderful, beautifully presented and the service perfect. The spa was equally impressive. Set below a water-garden the treatment suites are luxurious and the attention to detail is impressive. The therapists are wonderful, one of the best massages I had. I felt like a queen. It deserves a visit. I would not think twice about visiting Bali again just to stay at this gem.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Desi S
RegentBali B, General Manager at Fairmont Sanur Beach Bali, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Regent Guest - Desi S, London, United Kingdom,

Thank you for the flattering comments on your recent stay here at Regent Bali.
We are all very pleased that you had a good stay and that you enjoyed the resort and it's facilities as well as the services provided.
Once again Thank you.