“Fine but not Great”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 August 2013

My hub and I ate here the other night. The ambiance is pleasant as we overlooked the sea. Service was ok but not great. Each table was given a glass with a variety of breads at the beginning of service, which was a nice touch.

I ordered an appetizer anitpasto plate which was kind of ridiculous. For $5 U.S. the portion was almost miniscule - for Bali prices this was crazy! It had one small slice of pepperoni, one very thin slice of an Italian sausage, and one tiny slice of an air cured ham, along with two little tough pieces of marinated calimari, half a cherry tomato, one green olive and two black ones, a piece of fresh mozzarella cheese, a few leaves of aragula, half a marinated artichoke, and a bit of mushroom all presented on a huge plate with a drizzle of balsamic dressing and another of a sort of thin pesto stuff.

As a main dish hub got the fettucini carbonara which was about a cup of pasta in the middle of a large plate with a few pieces of chopped tomato around it and a piece of bacon on top. He said it was just average. Cost about $6.

I got the grilled grouper over spinach pasta with a spicy marinara. I really enjoyed my meal. The grouper was amazing and the pasta with sauce was good. As a cook, I thought it was an odd pairing since the sauce was quite zippy and the fish was so mild. If eaten together, the pasta would have overpowered the fish, which would have been a shame! Cost of this dish about $7.50.

All in all, we were satisfied, not unhappy customers, but we agreed we felt no need to return.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We have eaten at the Basilico several times while staying at the Sanur Beach Hotel, and it is always very good. On our latest trip, the restaurant catered for our birthday party- and all our guests commented on how fabulous the food was. A little more expensive than others outside the hotel, but worth it.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Not bad - the pizza was good, but nothing special. The service was ok till it got busy and then we got forgotten for a while. Overall it was nothing very memorable.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

The place looked promising from the boardwalk. We decided we would eat somewhere a little nicer for dinner and judging by the prices, we thought we had found the right place. There were a few people eating so that really made our mind up for us. Should have read TA!

They forgot one of our orders. The food was the worst we've eaten in Bali both for quality and cost. The pasta was $12 USD for a very small plate of incredibly badly cooked pasta. For Bali, thats bad value. Likely it was precoked and then fried like noodles!!

There are loads of better places to eat at in Sanur so so yourself a favour and give people who deserve it your money.

1  Thank RaeJam
Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

We ate here last night, I had a 'lobster' pasta and my husband had Osso Bucco. My lobster pasta was penne with badly overcooked and rubbery prawns mixed through it. A tiny half crucified crayfish was on the side but as it was so badly over cooked I could hardly chew it. Osso Bucco was nice but came with fries not mash as specified. Ok food, maybe we just ordered the wrong thing?
Will stick with Massimo in Sanur, much better and huge menu.

1  Thank Leishybear